LBGTQ

Mo Horn

also, according to this, it really doesn't make a shit bc only 51% of us were born here. 

According to 2022 Census data, about 51% of adults in Texas were born in the state, which is roughly a coin flip. The percentage of Texans born in Texas has been declining since World War II, but the decline has mostly stabilized over the last 20 years.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Good on you. As a woman, that is not something I could do.

LOL.  I said people.  That means the group.  Individuals are fine, but as a whole, just look at how Texas votes.  That tells you all you need to know.

In that vein, New Yorkers are shitty. They gave us Donald Trump.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

According to 2022 Census data, about 51% of adults in Texas were born in the state, which is roughly a coin flip. The percentage of Texans born in Texas has been declining since World War II, but the decline has mostly stabilized over the last 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

also, according to this, it really doesn't make a shit bc only 51% of us were born here. 

I was raised by Texans so some of that traditional character made its way into me even though I was merely a suburban boy. I went to Spring High back when it was 2A and there were plenty of Texas country boys there.

I have to wonder how much any person born in an Anywhere, USA suburb surrounding Houston, Dallas, or Austin reflect much of what we like to think of as Texan. The different state characters are fading due to the massive homogenization of the national culture.

It'd be nice to return to the fine old saying of "that's none of my business." It fits well with tolerance and leaving other folks alone so long as they're not hurting anybody.

That saying would apply to what occurs between doctors and patients and what they decide is best.

It also applies to what people read, what kind of clothes they want to wear, and what's going on in their houses.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

What happened to all those slave-owning families in Texas? Did their descendants all move out of state?

Greg Abbott a carpetbagger, is he?

Fair points. Nice to have an outsider's perspective. Thanks for making me look this up. Published on the Prairie View A&M website. (Prairie view is a historically black university.)

Union attempts to occupy Texas were either limited to the state’s southern coastline, far away from the East Texas counties with the densest slave populations, or they were turned back before they even reached Texas.

Only 30 percent of Texas families owned slaves in 1850, and only 2 percent of those held 20 or more slaves. However, Texans had not only fully grasped slaver-owning concepts, but were downright giddy about the future prospects of slaves cultivating the state’s fertile soil, especially its cotton crop. In the late 1850s, an editorial in Austin’s Texas State Gazette suggested that “until we reach somewhere in the vicinity of two millions of slaves, it is evident that such a thing as too many slaves in Texas is an absurdity.”

Charles DeMorse of the Clarksville Northern Standard was more direct: “We want more slaves, we need them.”

It would have been nice to make the point I was considering: not many Texans owned slaves and it was concentrated in East Texas.  Both seem true. 

The part that follows the "However" suggests a general attitude about enslaving people.

You can surely find racism ianywere in Texas, but East Texas is more Old South than southwestern. We usually draw the line at interstate 45 which runs from Houston to Dallas.

This is a big place. The Valley is not like East Texas nor is West Texas like the DFW metroplex.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's a generalization I cannot abide. Yes, in the more rural parts of Texas you're going to find ignorant and bigoted people. I challenge you to name a state where that isn't true. picking on Texas is just low hanging fruit. there are plenty of bigots in New York too - but I'm guessing you don't call them out equally

Our problem is the apathy of minority voters in urban population centers. You can talk about voter suppression all you want, but until those folks perceive a real difference in how one party will affect their day to day lives relative to the other, that is not going to change. And honestly I don’t blame them for feeling that way. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

It's a generalization I cannot abide. Yes, in the more rural parts of Texas you're going to find ignorant and bigoted people. I challenge you to name a state where that isn't true. picking on Texas is just low hanging fruit. there are plenty of bigots in New York too - but I'm guessing you don't call them out equally

The very core of Texas is built on a pile of hate and bullshit unlike any other state. The "rugged individualism" that is the root of Texas pride is just a vehicle for the in-group to shit upon the out-group. Nobody can succeed as a lone individual any state - that's why we have public roads, bridges, fire stations, etc., but in Texan culture those benefits have to be "earned" by those with resources. Rather than support public resources that go out according to actual need, it is apportioned on a select bases by individuals. That's awesome if you're white, straight, pretty, and Christian (and the right kind of Christian at that). If not, you are kindly fucked. 

Of course there are awesome Texans, great and caring people who are swimming upstream to help others. But the core is rotten and will not change until Texans examine what it actually means to be Texan and why place of birth makes one exceptional. I was born and raised in Texas, and when I left 30 years ago I always assumed I'd be back but now it's one of the bottom-tier states. If I had to decide between Mississippi and Texas I honestly don't know what I'd choose. At least Mississippi knows it's a piece of shit state.

11 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

You can surely find racism ianywere in Texas, but East Texas is more Old South than southwestern. We usually draw the line at interstate 45 which runs from Houston to Dallas.

Personally, I don't recognize anything east of Bastrop as Texas.

7 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

The very core of Texas is built on a pile of hate and bullshit unlike any other state. The "rugged individualism" that is the root of Texas pride is just a vehicle for the in-group to shit upon the out-group. Nobody can succeed as a lone individual any state - that's why we have public roads, bridges, fire stations, etc., but in Texan culture those benefits have to be "earned" by those with resources. Rather than support public resources that go out according to actual need, it is apportioned on a select bases by individuals. That's awesome if you're white, straight, pretty, and Christian (and the right kind of Christian at that). If not, you are kindly fucked. 

Of course there are awesome Texans, great and caring people who are swimming upstream to help others. But the core is rotten and will not change until Texans examine what it actually means to be Texan and why place of birth makes one exceptional. I was born and raised in Texas, and when I left 30 years ago I always assumed I'd be back but now it's one of the bottom-tier states. If I had to decide between Mississippi and Texas I honestly don't know what I'd choose. At least Mississippi knows it's a piece of shit state.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Seriously GIF by Leroy Patterson

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Fair points. Nice to have an outsider's perspective. Thanks for making me look this up. Published on the Prairie View A&M website. (Prairie view is a historically black university.)

It would have been nice to make the point I was considering: not many Texans owned slaves and it was concentrated in East Texas.  Both seem true. 

The part that follows the "However" suggests a general attitude about enslaving people.

This is a big place. The Valley is not like East Texas nor is West Texas like the DFW metroplex.

You are correct but part of the Texan personality is the larger than life, principled, optimistic and out-spoken for pure ideals stereotype. that personality was in part created to whitewash our past. take a look at On Juneteenth by Annette Gorden-Reed, a short but FANTASTIC read for a different look at Texas history, one from the view of an African American (Texan) perspective. It is a book every white native Texan should read.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

it's both and, not either or. I'm serious On Juneteenth is a really solid read and goes into this some. and your negative comments about Texas was what I was trying to get at in my initial comment about racist and corruption underbelly too.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dps-director-asks-paxton-for-guidance-on-sex-marker-changes/ar-AA1r3DAG

Now they're trying to revert the driver's license of anyone who has had their gender marker changed via court order in Texas. Fucking Christ

AUSTIN (KXAN) — Texas DPS Director Steven McCraw sent a letter to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton on Sept. 13, asking for his office’s opinion on whether Texans have the right to use a court order to change the sex marker on state-issued identification.

Specifically, McCraw asked if state courts have the authority to issue such an order, what “proof” is required for an order and whether state agencies are allowed to revert previously changed documents.

“DPS may have altered many governmental sex records in mistaken reliance on court orders that either lacked any basis in law or authority to bind DPS or were not relevant proof under statutory authority to correct mistaken records of an individual’s sex,” the letter reads. “On other occasions, when DPS has made an erroneous entry to a person’s records, the agency has on its own initiative corrected such a mistake.”

Texas doesn’t define ‘sex’
McCraw’s letter defines sex using a 1949 version of Webster’s New Collegiate Dictionary, which he quotes as using a chromosomal distinction between the sexes: “The presence of two X chromosomes…causes a female to be developed; the presence of a Y chromosome…causes a male to be developed.”

This definition, abridged by the DPS director, does not make space for Texans born with chromosomal conditions, such as Klinefelter syndrome, Swyer syndrome, Androgen insensitivity syndrome, and other similar conditions.

A Texas bill that would have actually codified a definition of sex was put forward in 2023. It failed to pass in the state Legislature. Without such a law, Texas doesn’t have a legal definition of sex or gender.

The U.S. Supreme Court’s 2020 ruling in Bostock v. Clayton County expanded Title VII of the Civil Rights Act’s “discrimination based on sex” to include protections for a person’s sexual orientation and transgender status. The court’s ruling stated, “Discrimination based on homosexuality or transgender status necessarily entails discrimination based on sex; the first cannot happen without the second.”

Paxton sued the federal government over policy changes based on that ruling. He was recently granted an injunction by Judge Reed O’Connor, who has a history of siding with Paxton in his many lawsuits against the U.S. government, according to 2018 reporting by The Texas Tribune.

Federal courts move to restrict ‘judge shopping,’ which got attention after abortion medication case
McCraw’s letter accuses transgender Texans of the same tactic used by the man he’s writing.

“Texas lawyers have…operated a gender-change-by-court-order program to evade court opinions holding the practice unlawful, including by shopping for ‘friendly’ judges in Bexar and Travis Counties with whom those lawyers ‘had worked with in the past,'” wrote McCraw, citing 2021 reporting by the San Antonio Express News.

“Interest groups across the State offer help in procuring such court orders, including ‘court-specific instructions’ that identify ‘friendly’ and ‘hostile’ judges by name,” the letter reads, citing the website “texasnameandgendermarkerchange.com.”

That website, last updated in 2022, bears a warning in red text stating that it may be out of date. Its edit history shows a handful of users who contributed to the page. As for lists of friendly and hostile judges, the website is hardly exhaustive, listing 6 of Texas’ 254 counties.

For Bastrop, only one judge is listed, with links to two 2017 social media posts vouching for him. For Williamson, only one judge is listed. For Dallas, Harris and Tarrant Counties, there are only notices that those counties won’t issue sex marker changes. Travis County is the only county with a list that approached what McCraw’s letter suggests.

An uncertain future
In 2022, the Office of the Attorney General asked DPS for a two-year list of every gender marker change performed by the agency. DPS’ driver’s license division notified him of more than 16,000 instances but declined to send the data, due to the massive expense of determining why a marker changed.

McCraw admits in the letter that his agency has made “erroneous entries” on such documents before. Some licenses may have changed due to an error by DPS employees, and not because a transgender Texan updated the marker.

What McCraw’s letter doesn’t say is how DPS would decide which IDs to “voluntarily correct.” It doesn’t say if DPS would require DNA testing of Texans prior to license renewal, or if the agency would direct its driver’s license office employees to sex Texans like livestock.

Texas currently allows for remote renewal of driver’s licenses and ID cards, which only requires resubmission of the card and the Texan’s social security number. This can also be done up to two years after the card expires.

The Social Security Administration accepts Texas court orders in order to change a sex marker on a citizen’s file. This, a likely step for transgender Texans following the issuance of a court order, would mean that required renewal documents could show matching sex markers.

• Rage+1 4

5 minutes ago, safe sex said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dps-director-asks-paxton-for-guidance-on-sex-marker-changes/ar-AA1r3DAG

Now they're trying to revert the driver's license of anyone who has had their gender marker changed via court order in Texas. Fucking Christ

I mean, besides the inherent cruelty of persecuting a group of people, it pisses me off that we’re wasting taxpayer dollars on this type of crap that could be used in ways that actually help people.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2

8 minutes ago, safe sex said:

yeah but most Texans aren't hateful, cruel, bigoted assholes...they just keep accidentally electing hateful, cruel, bigoted assholes.   

• Rage+1 3

28 minutes ago, safe sex said:

I’ll also add to my previous post that McCraw is a stooge. 100% that his letter was written by someone in the AG’s office.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, royiv said:

I’ll also add to my previous post that McCraw is a stooge. 100% that his letter was written by someone in the AG’s office.

100% Paxton told him to "ask" the question.  It's why we aren't waiting around. the answer is known. they may only go back 10 years, they may go back 20, they may wait until expired then not renew. who knows. we aren't waiting.

Texas Our Texas my ass.

all that remains is whether I should nuke my profile here, I've said some shit.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Everything about this post is wrong. 

8 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The concept of a state ID is out of date. We should have a national ID that can have attributes of a Texas drivers license or resident. And with this change, Paxton's opinion about gender wouldn't matter.

We do have a national ID. It’s a passport. What you’re asking for a national DL.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The concept of a state ID is out of date. We should have a national ID that can have attributes of a Texas drivers license or resident. And with this change, Paxton's opinion about gender wouldn't matter.

That won’t even get me a cup of coffee on our move out of state. 

13 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Thankfully, from an NYC perspective, pretty much all but Staten Island have repudiated him.

No, that’s not how this works. The county I live in has repudiated Trump, Cruz, Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, et al repeatedly, but as Texans we’re all shitty. You don’t get off the hook for Trump just because you’ve repudiated him. New Yorkers are all shitty. I’m just playing by the rules as you’ve laid them out to us and then doubled down on. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you make a hot take before that was off base, but that was a big one. I’ll go hug my shitty wife and my shitty dog and try to be less shitty tomorrow, but unfortunately it will all be for naught given my place of residence.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, royiv said:

No, that’s not how this works. The county I live in has repudiated Trump, Cruz, Abbott, Patrick, Paxton, et al repeatedly, but as Texans we’re all shitty. You don’t get off the hook for Trump just because you’ve repudiated him. New Yorkers are all shitty. I’m just playing by the rules as you’ve laid them out to us and then doubled down on. I don’t think I’ve ever seen you make a hot take before that was off base, but that was a big one. I’ll go hug my shitty wife and my shitty dog and try to be less shitty tomorrow, but unfortunately it will all be for naught given my place of residence.

Hit a nerve, obviously.  Long and short, NYC is not responsible to Trump.  He might have been born here, but New Yorkers had no say in that. Rather, New Yorkers, have, since he ran, repudiated him. And when I say New Yorkers, I mean the entire state.  Trump has never won New York State.  Texas, on the other hand, has, in every election, gone for Trump. The cities and counties that vote Democratic still have enough Trumpies to send the entire state to him.  Never fucking mind that Texas has voted for single party rule by the GQP for the last 30 years. Until Texas changes that, Texas is shitty. 

28 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Hit a nerve, obviously.  Long and short, NYC is not responsible to Trump.  He might have been born here, but New Yorkers had no say in that. Rather, New Yorkers, have, since he ran, repudiated him. And when I say New Yorkers, I mean the entire state.  Trump has never won New York State.  Texas, on the other hand, has, in every election, gone for Trump. The cities and counties that vote Democratic still have enough Trumpies to send the entire state to him.  Never fucking mind that Texas has voted for single party rule by the GQP for the last 30 years. Until Texas changes that, Texas is shitty. 

Yes, you hit a nerve. You didn’t say Texas is shitty. You said Texans are shitty. That’s a big difference. To paint Texans with such a broad brush is obviously going to hit a nerve. You know that I agree that Texas is fucked up big time from a political standpoint, but that doesn’t mean all Texans are shitty. Instead, you’re coming off as the stereotype of a New Yorker who thinks their shit doesn’t stink which is kind of funny since your elected mayor was just indicted for fraud. And, yes, I will continue to pin Trump on you as long as you contend that Texans are shitty.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, royiv said:

Yes, you hit a nerve. You didn’t say Texas is shitty. You said Texans are shitty. That’s a big difference. To paint Texans with such a broad brush is obviously going to hit a nerve. You know that I agree that Texas is fucked up big time from a political standpoint, but that doesn’t mean all Texans are shitty. Instead, you’re coming off as the stereotype of a New Yorker who thinks their shit doesn’t stink which is kind of funny since your elected mayor was just indicted for fraud. And, yes, I will continue to pin Trump on you as long as you contend that Texans are shitty.

All good.  Until they prove otherwise, Texas voters are shitty, and I lump my own parents in there becuase they vote Republican.  I love them, but politically, I hate what they condone. And I am trying to change their minds. But since I am a person that Texans have decided shouldn't have agency over her own body, they can all go fuck themselves.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I don't blame people who leave Texas because of its politics.  But when someone leaves Texas because of its politics and disparages those of us who stay to fight (and lose because like-minded people left Texas and took their vote with them), that's some weak-ass shit.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I don't blame people who leave Texas because of its politics.  But when someone leaves Texas because of its politics and disparages those of us who stay to fight (and lose because like-minded people left Texas and took their vote with them), that's some weak-ass shit.

that's where i'm at

funny part is, if Texas were to get its shit together, they'd all happily come back.

4 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that's where i'm at

funny part is, if Texas were to get its shit together, they'd all happily come back.

We might need to figure out how to air condition the state, but, apart from politics, it indeed still has a lot to offer.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Here’s hoping that those folks who transplanted to Texas for political reasons will gtfo when our state flips back to blue.

Here's hoping their Tesla Trucks can make it to the border without breaking down.

• Haha 4