LBGTQ

Mo Horn

6 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that's where i'm at

funny part is, if Texas were to get its shit together, they'd all happily come back.

I know you don’t mean it this way, but the fact that some people actually have to leave isn’t funny to me and there are a lot of women, queer folk, and families that really have no choice. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, troph said:

I know you don’t mean it this way, but the fact that some people actually have to leave isn’t funny to me and there are a lot of women, queer folk, and families that really have no choice. 

I'm aware of that and those people usually aren't in here telling us that stay here that we suck. I have friends who are basically raising their kids in spain bc they don't want to teach their children active shooter drills. there's a million reasons to leave and a million reasons to stay. there are people on this very site who I have known for years that are on the forefront of LGBTQ+ causes - if they leave then all is lost. So I'm trying to hold down the fort and affect change for those feeling the need to leave. My immediate family was 3 votes Hillary, 1 vote Trump, and 1 vote Johnson in 2016. You can count on 5 votes for Kamala and every dem up and down the ballot this go-round. Texas may not flip this session, but it won't remain this way forever either. At least I have to believe that or what the fuck is the point in trying?

• Hook 'Em 5

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

We might need to figure out how to air condition the state, but, apart from politics, it indeed still has a lot to offer.

12 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

that's where i'm at

funny part is, if Texas were to get its shit together, they'd all happily come back.

Texas can get its shit together, but we know the Republicans are going to try and wreck it on the way out - loot the cash register as they run out of a building they set on fire.

We would leave if we could, but still have a few more years (wife's retirement stuff), because we've got two small kids (well one small, one small-ish) and we are tired of all of the stupid MAGA shit, and tired of living in a place where we can drive for hours and hours and see the same fucking shit that we have at home, and tired of the shitty summer and fucked up power kids.  Before kids, we didn't care because it didn't affect us as much - on summer days, we were inside working, and it was easier to travel (plus we didn't feel the desire to travel).  With kids, we'd like to be some place where we can drive a few hours and see something new and different and not have to explain a lot of stupid shit our government does.

I’m a straight, white, formerly proud native Texan.  Hell, I’m a native Houstonian.  I happened to be living in Manhattan when my first ex was pregnant with our second son and I sent her back to her parents before he was born so his birth certificate would have Texas on it.  If my current circumstances with my mom would even remotely allow it, I would pack my dog and my regarded daughter into my truck, hit the road and never look back.  I would head down the Pan-American highway and stop when I found a beach we liked.