Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

6 hours ago, bizzle said:

my season preview is going to involve putting every word i can find from tarp, ctj and liucci into an AI prompt and seeing what surfaces. 

ChatGPT is years away from that sort of brilliance. 

As we look ahead to the 2024 season, the buzz around Aggieland is palpable. The new recruits have shown promise, and there's a sense that this team could finally meet the high expectations we've set. The 12th Man is primed and ready to make Kyle Field a fortress, and you can bet the Midnight Yell practices will be electric. The real question is whether our quarterback situation can deliver consistently and if our defensive line can hold up against SEC powerhouses. If the team gels and embraces our traditions—like the Aggie Bonfire—the sky’s the limit. Fans should brace for a ride, but don't be surprised if we're back in the mix for a New Year's Six bowl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6
  • Drool 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, derp said:

It's not just us. They love A&M's opponents this year pretty much across the board.

Texas schedule by their rankings:

UGA: 2
@Michigan: 7
OU (neutral): 19
@Texas A&M: 23
Florida: 40
Kentucky: 59
UTSA: 60
@Arkansas: 62
Colorado State: 73
Miss State: 83
@Vandy: 104
ULM: 134

Texas A&M schedule by their rankings:

Texas: 4
Notre Dame: 8
Mizzou: 12
LSU: 15
@Florida: 40
@South Carolina: 42
@Auburn: 45
Arkansas: 62
Bowling Green: 68
@Miss State: 83
NMSU: 126
McNeese St.: NR

Edited by texifornia

Bill Connelly's SP+ rankings are something I always like to look at

SP+ is a tempo- and opponent-adjusted measure of college football efficiency. It is a predictive measure of the most sustainable and predictable aspects of football, not a résumé ranking, and, along those same lines, these projections aren't intended to be a guess at what the AP Top 25 will look like at the end of the year. These are simply offseason power rankings based on the information we have been able to gather to date.

If we go based on those rankings:

Texas- CSU (100), Michigan (7), UTSA (54), ULM (134), Miss State (55), OU (13), Georgia (1), Vady (89), Florida (23), Arkansas (44), Kentucky (22), A&M (14)

Average SP+ Ranking: 46.33

A&M- Notre Dame (9), McNeese (FCS....went 1-10 last year. So both teams have 12 data points they get to be 134 with ULM!), Florida (23), Bowling Green (104), Arkansas (44), Missouri (10), Miss State (55), LSU (11), South Carolina (35), New Mexico State (116), Auburn (25), Texas (5)

Average SP+ Ranking: 47.58

-Both play 4 top 20 SP+ teams. A&M gets all 4 opponents at home.

-Average non-con SP+ ranking: Texas (73.75), A&M (90.75)

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

lol- they are telling us more than ever, but also saying we can’t tell you any of it. Go ahead and keep paying though and we will keep typing out emptiness. 

He said "we've already had more interactions with the SID department" as calls to the principal's office--"Brauny, you've been a bad boy.  Here's what you can and cannot say."

That's what I'd like to believe.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Stupid sips. The lack of info is so other teams don't understand the buzz saw they are about to encounter. It will be like trying to cut in front of The Elk at an "all you can eat" buffet. 

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

lol- they are telling us more than ever, but also saying we can’t tell you any of it. Go ahead and keep paying though and we will keep typing out emptiness. 

I’ll have y’all know: I have been meeting with Steve Sarkisian 5 days a week since the spring game. He’s told me all the ins and outs of the team so I know exactly how the season will unfold. He also told me I’m not allowed to tell. Now, Venmo me your money. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I’ll have y’all know: I have been meeting with Steve Sarkisian 5 days a week since the spring game. He’s told me all the ins and outs of the team so I know exactly how the season will unfold. He also told me I’m not allowed to tell. Now, Venmo me your money. 

Just so long as you say you knew that when the coaches make it public. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

$9.99ers exist in August to provide reports on closed practices. So what has Alberts promised TexAgs and GigEm247? He has the sword of Damocles in his back pocket, pulling their press credentials. Why does a P5 AD need to engage with a regard like Tarp? 

Additionally, what is Alberts trying to protect? Freeman isn’t going to use a vague, poorly written transcription from Looch to prepare his team. Injury reports have some value, but depth charta are an open secret. OurLads has depth charts for every team that are probably north of 80% accuracy. 

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$9.99ers exist in August to provide reports on closed practices. So what has Alberts promised TexAgs and GigEm247? He has the sword of Damocles in his back pocket, pulling their press credentials. Why does a P5 AD need to engage with a regard like Tarp? 

Additionally, what is Alberts trying to protect? Freeman isn’t going to use a vague, poorly written transcription from Looch to prepare his team. Injury reports have some value, but depth charta are an open secret. OurLads has depth charts for every team that are probably north of 80% accuracy. 

Can’t wait for injury reports to be mandatory across all of cfb like they are in NFL. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can’t wait for injury reports to be mandatory across all of cfb like they are in NFL. 

Sure, but NFL teams still try to game the system with various injury status tags. That said, unless it’s a QB, if they don’t practice on Thursday, they’re not playing on Sunday or Monday is a pretty good rule of thumb. 

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Spoilered below is this week's reminder that even the clearest eyed aggie redasses still can't control themselves when it comes to building unrealistic expectations. Tarp gives us his top 6 reasons for how Texas A&M makes the college football playoff. Click, clack motherfuckers. This guy is less than a week removed from new reprimands from the communistic media handlers inside of the AD for saying more negative shit about the team and roster, and here he is, touting the notion of making the playoffs with a straight face.

Highlights for me include the parts where calls both the Notre Dame game and the Texas game "must-wins", where he references Auburn as a generally lesser opponent, and where he touts their roster depth. The commenters all eat this article up, too. 

Reveal hidden contents

On the surface, no one knows what to expect from Texas A&M in 2024. The Aggies can have a top five team one season and then go 20-17 the next three years. They bring in the country's best recruiting class, watch over 50 players in the roster exit via the NCAA transfer over the next two years, and replace them with experienced but lower rated players.

But there is enough talent and a favorable schedule that provide a road map to the College Football Playoff for the Aggies. Here's how that trip goes.

1. Don't shortchange yourself….you may not be a tremendous slouch.

The video player is currently playing an ad.

Texas A&M may not have all of the ingredients you would like but it's a top 20 ranked program to start the season. It's got a five star quarterback, a guy who has a track record of being able to coach defense as its boss, and can put quite a few four and five star rated guys on the field.

Most of all, home field really means something in college football, more than it does in the pros. A&M gets its toughest opponents at home so make that advantage count for something real.  

2. I've said before that beating Notre Dame is a must win game for Mike Elko.

You paid out the largest buyout in college football history to send his predecessor packing so like it or not you're going to get a referendum on that decision via the new hire in game one.

However, the Irish are a top ten team that can't obtain an automatic bid as part of the CFP since they are an independent as opposed to part of a conference. They have to win their win their way in and their schedule (especially after Florida State's loss yesterday) lacks many top shelf opponents that could provide a strength of schedule boost. 

The Irish are a top ten team that can't obtain an automatic bid as part of the CFP since they are an independent as opposed to part of a conference. They have to win their win in and their schedule (especially after Florida State's loss yesterday) lacks many top shelf opponents that could provide a strength of schedule boost. The Aggies would have to win the Southeastern Conference to secure an automatic bid of their own and that's a tall order in a league where nine teams are in the top 16 of ESPN's SP+ rankings. Thus, they're probably competing for an at large bid, one of the teams they're competing against are the Irish, and there may a dearth of such games on their schedule as well.

This will also be a game with a lot of eyeballs on it as the lead off to ABC's Saturday night coverage for the 2024 campaign.

As a result, this is an elimination game whether anyone likes it or not, especially if there is another loss or two along the way.

Also, beating the Irish will do two things for the Aggies. One, it will be a win over a highly ranked opponent and so everyone will all of a sudden remember that A&M still has quite a few guys from highly rated recruiting classes that are good to great football players.

Two, it will validate everything that the coaching staff is doing in the minds of the players and secure some badly needed confidence that this team for once might be better than the sum of its parts suggests (as opposed to an all-star team that doesn't play with or for each other).

3. The perception of a team during the season (at least in my experience) is driven by the following don'ts.

Don't get blown out. 

Don't lose at home.

Don't lose to an unranked team.

Don't lose late in the season.

Combination platters at your favorite Tex-Mex restaurant are delicious.

A combination platter of a loss to unranked team at home later in the year can drive you way down in the CFP rankings to the point that you to have too much ground to make up. You might need time you don't have and depend far too much on the generosity of other teams.

You might be better off losing to Missouri in October than Auburn in November.

Not advocating anything or predicting anything…just sayin….

4. If you beat Notre Dame, a couple of losses along the way to quality teams probably won't keep you out of the playoffs…but they had better keep winning.

Root for your opponents, especially given the SEC's tiebreaker rules on using records of common opponents as a criterion for qualifying teams for the SEC title game.

Same criteria applies here. Strength of schedule may not help you but hope that it doesn't get used against you.

5. Beat Texas.

Forget that this is a rivalry game for a second.

Remember that Texas is back (again), they're a top five team in the polls to start the season, and it's going to be nationally televised. They're going to be playing the likes of Michigan, Georgia, and Oklahoma.

This is your last and best chance to make an impression on the committee via what could be a quality opponent if you don't make the SEC title game. In fact…as with the Irish….if neither team is destined for the SEC championship game this could potentially be another elimination game.

If your last impression is a losing one….that's probably going to keep you out, maybe even if it's a close loss.

As with the Irish, it's a must win outing from a CFP standpoint so find a way to win.

6. Finally…don't get caught up in the week to week thought process of the CFP committee.

They've had a nasty habit of changing their criteria week to week over the years. They love a loss you have one week and hate next week's win seven days later.

It's must see but challenging to watch TV.

But most of all…you've got the majority of the SEC and Big Ten in the top 25 to start the season. They're not all going to play each other so you'll be trying to discern how multiple teams with the same records, but varying strengths of schedule really compare to one another. Great teams may get more than their fair share of tough games and wind up with more losses than their rosters suggest they should. They'll win at home one week and have everyone's attention for seven days, then lose the next and have the talking heads wondering what's wrong with them.

The weekly ups and downs will be far more pronounced than usual, especially with so many at large berths now at stake. This will create more drama as well.

So, stay the course and take care of what's in front of you because at the end of the day that's all you can really do.

Keep your eyes on the prize. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Aggy will beat notre dame. Notre dame is not very good. 

Their defense is filthy and the aggy OL is similarly atrocious. Similar teams, but ND has more depth and top line talent outside of the DL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

A&M’s DL vs. ND’s OL seems like, well, advantage Aggies. 

The rest of the matchups, not necessarily so much. A&M may need their D or special teams to score. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Aggy will lose based on depth and overall talent. Their o-line is Ant eater shit. Weigman is made of glass and not made to run Klein's offense. Plus their skill position players are mid at best, and their now starting RB is God awful. They have one good TE in Donovan Green, but he just came back from injury. 

It'll be a low scoring game, but ND defense is just better, which will create more turnovers. ND offense has weapons like a mobile QB in Riley Leonard, Jaden Greathouse, and they always have at least 2 TE'S that are NFL draft quality. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1