Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

Shanhan played 8 snaps. 

When they signed the Utah C, the guru consensus was that he was going to be the starter. Nabou beat him out in fall camp. The Utah guy was a nothing at Utah. 

So, of course, Carter Karels is pointing out the PFF grades from the game and implying this is an upgrade. You have Texags doing something similar. They’re coming dangerously close to having to play some of the worst OL in P4 on what looks like what already is one of the worst OLs in P4.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

GBD and Hicks were both 5 stars. When people reference that ATM “still has a lot of talent on the defensive front”, those guys are absolutely a driver for that due to their rankings. Albert 3 Star Regis certainly isn’t. 

What do you expect a poor college football talking head to believe, the 247 talent composite or his lying eyes?

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shanhan played 8 snaps. 

When they signed the Utah C, the guru consensus was that he was going to be the starter. Nabou beat him out in fall camp. The Utah guy was a nothing at Utah. 

So, of course, Carter Karels is pointing out the PFF grades from the game and implying this is an upgrade. You have Texans doing something similar. They’re coming dangerously close to having to play some of the worst OL in P4 on what looks like what already is one of the worst OLs in P4.

If it's an upgrade, why wasn't he starting?

Oh, never mind.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

So, of course, Carter Karels is pointing out the PFF grades from the game and implying this is an upgrade. You have Texags doing something similar. They’re coming dangerously close to having to play some of the worst OL in P4 on what looks like what already is one of the worst OLs in P4.

The problem with looking at PFF grades for this game is I'm pretty sure ND played more conservatively than they will all year. 

Once they realized that Weigman couldn't do anything in the passing game, there was no reason to bring pressure. It looked to me like ND stayed in a very base defense and said "hey we will let you nickel and dime for 2 yards a play." 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Considering he threw for only 100 yards it’s more like penny and nickel. 

I think that's how more teams will play aggy. 

Common sense says to bring pressure against their shitty OL but why create a boom or bust scenario for their offense. They don't have the skill talent at WR or RB to create big plays if you keep the ball in front. 

Weigman might only go 2/15 on deep balls but that's better than their current offense. 

5 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

Shit just keeps getting worse for aggy.

@BurntOrange&WhiteSince you brought Shanahan up during the game. Looks like he's their starter at C now.

Westlake wonks were stunned at the recruiting ranking of Shanahan coming out of high school. Not only is the talent questionable, there is nothing between the ears, apparently.  Should fit right in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Huge head-to-head win over tu. If A&M's line wasn't so good every year, he'd already be second team all SEC.

Tough losing Nabou. If he'd been a Texas player, all the third-team all-district safeties posting on Texags would be talking about how they'd had their ACLs disintegrate during games but gutted it out. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shanhan played 8 snaps. 

They may be some of the worst linemen in P4, but you forget the Aggie ace in the hole--they really get A&M.

God help them.

Edited by Tired Horn
typo.
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I think that's how more teams will play aggy. 

Common sense says to bring pressure against their shitty OL but why create a boom or bust scenario for their offense. They don't have the skill talent at WR or RB to create big plays if you keep the ball in front. 

Weigman might only go 2/15 on deep balls but that's better than their current offense. 

Agreed on nd playing 2 deep and not maxing pressure.

This pisses me off when defenses simplify the game for struggling qb’s by blitzing. Especially if it’s obvious without disguise. I think it’s what allowed calzada the conqueror to beat saban a couple yrs ago, they kept sending obvious blitzes that only forced him into hot reads, zero mental stress post snap

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shanhan played 8 snaps. 

a lot of this will end up being how good the nd defense is (i think pretty solid) but the ol was not horrific saturday, which is kind of frightening considering how the game went. we new the wr / te spot would be rough but weigman repeatedly shit himself and then klein panicked and those two continued their back and forth all game long. i have a modicum of hope for the ol coming together into something approaching mediocre, but not sure it matters based on everything else going on via that side of the ball. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bizzle said:

a lot of this will end up being how good the nd defense is (i think pretty solid) but the ol was not horrific saturday, which is kind of frightening considering how the game went. we new the wr / te spot would be rough but weigman repeatedly shit himself and then klein panicked and those two continued their back and forth all game long. i have a modicum of hope for the ol coming together into something approaching mediocre, but not sure it matters based on everything else going on via that side of the ball. 

Bizzle, you are now experiencing why Texas was lost in the football wilderness for almost 2 decades. Our Oline sucked during those years. Your Oline is on par with the shit that Mack Brown left us with when he finally got fired. 

Get used to wishing for a better Oline. It's going to be awhile.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, bizzle said:

do you have a modicum of hope for how god awful your d-line was against an oline with a combined 6 starts?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bizzle said:

6 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Bizzle, you are now experiencing why Texas was lost in the football wilderness for almost 2 decades. Our Oline sucked during those years. Your Oline is on par with the shit that Mack Brown left us with when he finally got fired. 

Get used to wishing for a better Oline. It's going to be awhile.

C'mon, bizzle. crash mostly sums it up here. If you're looking at that OL and thinking "yeah, I can work with that", you're maroon-shaded glasses are trending towards painted an opaque black. For all of the shit we've heard talked about the SEC being some sort of terrifying "LINE OF SCRIMMAGE LEAGUE!!", you can't possibly be taking the position now that that OL is worth a fuck against that backdrop.

14 minutes ago, bizzle said:

I actually agree with Bizzle on this. Their oline looked more cohesive than it has in the last couple of years. Maybe Weigman didn't know how to react when he wasn't running for his life? 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I actually agree with Bizzle on this. Their oline looked more cohesive than it has in the last couple of years. Maybe Weigman didn't know how to react when he wasn't running for his life? 

Cohesive is relative.

Rushing, aggy averaged 3.84 ypc. Without Weig's 7 carries/28 yards, the RBs averaged 3.87 ypc. That's pretty shitty. If you can't run the ball, then at least you better be able to throw it...

Weigs was 12/30. In post interviews, Shrek said that Weigs had a cleaner pocket than he realized which meant Weigs felt that Notre Dame dline was pressuring him enough to rattle him. At this point, I don't think it takes all that much to rattle him. That shit doesn't get fixed in one or 2 games. He's taken a beating since last year. It's going to take awhile for him to get over the PTSD.

They are deathly thin at Oline. Sound familiar? Their starters may be barely serviceable but their depth is shit. 

They are firmly a mid level team. They were a mid level team with all the talent in the world. They'll continue to be a mid level team filled with cast offs from other programs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foosters said:

I too remember thinking that our shitty O-linemen would turn a corner after another year of coaching and weight training.

But we were told they have the best strength and conditioning guy in the world in Tommy Moffitt!!!!!!!

Who is the guy that actually thinks Moffitt is still good on this forum?

2 hours ago, BornAndRaised said:

do you have a modicum of hope for how god awful your d-line was against an oline with a combined 6 starts?

Look at ND's go ahead TD in the 4th.  aggy had 9 in the box on that play and ND ran it right up the gut.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Look at ND's go ahead TD in the 4th.  aggy had 9 in the box on that play and ND ran it right up the gut.

Many people on this site who know a lot more than I do about ag recruiting and the ag depth chart, pointed out that the ags have good starters on d-line but there's no depth behind it.  From watching that game, it seemed apparent to me that the ag d-line put up a solid front for the first half, but ultimately just wore down and started getting gouged.  It makes sense given what's been said about their depth issues.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Many people on this site who know a lot more than I do about ag recruiting and the ag depth chart, pointed out that the ags have good starters on d-line but there's no depth behind it.  From watching that game, it seemed apparent to me that the ag d-line put up a solid front for the first half, but ultimately just wore down and started getting gouged.  It makes sense given what's been said about their depth issues.

Notre Dame also finally realized that Leonard passing was hopeless and started running the ball.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It looks even worse from the back angle. The pulling TE doesn't even engage York - he's helping the other TE do a reach block on the DE. York is unaccounted for but takes himself out of it completely. Big props to Love for getting through the hole. It's a great run. 

image.thumb.png.6cece0336faf802daf7667c060426402.png

image.thumb.png.7eeb0e922ff1aec80d4225339ff6f2ef.png

At this point it's fine. He's a couple steps too far out but the hole is really small and he's in fine position to clog it at least. Giving up 2-3 yards on 2nd and 9 is fine. But he kinda just runs straight ahead into the DE's butt. 

image.thumb.png.5f4daea1a968687ad630995fefb7d3d7.png

image.thumb.png.f4714eae508666612e73d656c656db03.png

oopsie-oopsie-doodles.gif

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It looks even worse from the back angle. The pulling TE doesn't even engage York - he's helping the other TE do a reach block on the DE. York is unaccounted for but takes himself out of it completely. Big props to Love for getting through the hole. It's a great run. 

At this point it's fine. He's a couple steps too far out but the hole is really small and he's in fine position to clog it at least. Giving up 2-3 yards on 2nd and 9 is fine. But he kinda just runs straight ahead into the DE's butt. 

Yeah, I was gonna say, he’s not even blocked. Literally just runs himself out of the play guessing the wrong gap (when the gap should’ve been pretty obvious based on what was unfolding in front of him). Just a god awful play by York. 

The play he makes (or more accurately, doesn't make) at the 10:48 mark is even worse. 

0d5b3454f5664bcaad8e2fa661f1ab0a.gif

16 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

While we're dragging A&M players, Bryce Anderson can also be seen taking a horrendous angle on the first TD run. He's not blocked on either TD play (first at 10:45, second is timestamped in the video above). The second isn't his fault though.

And yeah.... look where he goes flying in. Brutal.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

It's as if Trent Richardson had a kid who grew up to play LB for aggy.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

7 blocks against 9 in the box.

image.png.49bb2444acdfe5b7899df82165f2f4ea.png

TE and RG pull. Looks like the run is to York's gap.

image.png.173ba7e87ac0995691bc9ac241858cd9.png

York gets met by the TE and doesn't even bother fighting the block. He just moves to his right as the TE blocks him.

image.png.d7d041af644518550cd18e045753b8c9.png

image.png.914743f6e233f2c4cd62848cedba7b79.png

York (red), runner (green). Ball game, bitches.

image.png.3f7fb4f09180c147081a4c4a8c530077.png

Video should start at the play. York is fucking horrible. 

Man you aren't giving the TE the credit he deserves. The pulling guard runs right into the ass of the playside tackle which allows the edge to get past him, so the TE simple blocks both the edge and York to clear the hole for the running back. Then #27 and #14 both complete whiff while falling on their asses.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Back to recruiting. They had 100 recruits at the game. No feedback or comments from the recruits?

I'm sure it was all praise...

The elk spared no expense. The red carpet was rolled out. All is well.