Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

6 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The elk spared no expense. The red carpet was rolled out. All is well. 

I’m sure they gave those recruits something to think about.

Aggies are still “in the thick of it” for all of them.

FacilitiesFacilitiesFacilities, guys!!!!! Don'tcha know that's what recruits care about????? Never mind Mack didn't do shit with ours and we had fucking cardboards for their gear until Herman got the upgrades. Yet somehow we were still able to land top 1-3 recruiting classes before the collapse. 

But Facilities. 

7 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

This will never not be hilarious, and it sums up his tenure.

But hey, at least he upgraded the Facilities Facilities Facilities! 

Despite his major flaws, he did a lot of good things. Someone needed to elevate the program from the end of Mack Brown's tenure and the crap of the Charlie Strong years. I don't think Sark would have been nearly as successful if he came in immediately following Strong. Herman was a decent buffer.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Despite his major flaws, he did a lot of good things. Someone needed to elevate the program from the end of Mack Brown's tenure and the crap of the Charlie Strong years. I don't think Sark would have been nearly as successful if he came in immediately following Strong. Herman was a decent buffer.

Herman is largely responsible for the culture rot that Sarkisian faced. As I understand it, anyway. 

Herman has his issues but, from a coaching perspective, I think he simply illustrated rising to the point of his incompetence. I don’t hate him or anything; he was just in over his head. 

I don’t think additional years of having a coach in over his head was beneficial for Texas football. 

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Herman is largely responsible for the culture rot that Sarkisian faced. As I understand it, anyway. 

Herman has his issues but, from a coaching perspective, I think he simply illustrated rising to the point of his incompetence. I don’t hate him or anything; he was just in over his head. 

I don’t think additional years of having a coach in over his head was beneficial for Texas football. 

To me he knew what a NC program looked like but he didn't have the ability to take a program there. He was never going to be able to get boosters in line to support the program to the level needed and he was never going to be able to recruit and keep players capable of winning a NC and he didn't have the ability to hire capable coaches that would challenge him. That is a whole lot of negative, but surprisingly it still puts him above Strong. I'm not sure even Saban could have turned around Strong's mess. Boosters wouldn't have been on board with Saban's methods and there would likely be a battle between what Saban said Texas needed to compete and what the boosters were willing to do. Sark had just enough charm and NIL to get everyone together.

Just now, Bevo said:

To me he knew what a NC program looked like but he didn't have the ability to take a program there. He was never going to be able to get boosters in line to support the program to the level needed and he was never going to be able to recruit and keep players capable of winning a NC and he didn't have the ability to hire capable coaches that would challenge him. That is a whole lot of negative, but surprisingly it still puts him above Strong. I'm not sure even Saban could have turned around Strong's mess. Boosters wouldn't have been on board with Saban's methods and there would likely be a battle between what Saban said Texas needed to compete and what the boosters were willing to do. Sark had just enough charm and NIL to get everyone together.

Not being able to take the program there, while probably being able to succeed at places like Houston, is exactly what a Peter Principle failure looks like, imo. That’s Herman. 

And, yeah, he was an upgrade over Strong. A lot of coaches from high school powers would have been. 

I disagree about boosters being on board with Saban’s methods. 

Maybe someone with a crystal ball could’ve said, “Let Herman do this. He’ll fail. The team will rot to the point they won’t stay for The Eyes. He’ll leave a roster that leaves much to be desired. But he’ll buy time until NIL — don’t worry, you’ll understand soon — and a coach with the actual ability to execute a winnings vision will get Texas going again.” Maybe. That doesn’t mean Herman did many good things or that viewing his tenure as a benefit is much more than at least a little bit of revisionism. Imo, anyway. 

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not being able to take the program there, while probably being able to succeed at places like Houston, is exactly what a Peter Principle failure looks like, imo. That’s Herman. 

And, yeah, he was an upgrade over Strong. A lot of coaches from high school powers would have been. 

I disagree about boosters being on board with Saban’s methods. 

Maybe someone with a crystal ball could’ve said, “Let Herman do this. He’ll fail. The team will rot to the point they won’t stay for The Eyes. He’ll leave a roster that leaves much to be desired. But he’ll buy time until NIL — don’t worry, you’ll understand soon — and a coach with the actual ability to execute a winnings vision will get Texas going again.” Maybe. That doesn’t mean Herman did many good things or that viewing his tenure as a benefit is much more than at least a little bit of revisionism. Imo, anyway. 

a) what you’re doing is fruitless

b) i can’t wait for another big school to take a chance on Herman after he wins 10 or something at FAU. “it worked out well for Ole Miss with Kiffin!!” will be the mindless media refrain. right, same coaches, sure. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

b) i can’t wait for another big school to take a chance on Herman after he wins 10 or something at FAU. “it worked out well for Ole Miss with Kiffin!!” will be the mindless media refrain. right, same coaches, sure. 

Fair enough. I’m still not wise in the way of surly history. 

Hell, maybe he’ll become the DJU of coaches. 

26 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Fair enough. I’m still not wise in the way of surly history. 

Hell, maybe he’ll become the DJU of coaches. 

For what it is worth, I agree with what you are saying. And I surly don't want to be seen as stanning for the guy. I think your comment summarizes things pretty well -

Not being able to take the program there, while probably being able to succeed at places like Houston, is exactly what a Peter Principle failure looks like, imo.

But, I see this more as a glass half full for Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The fact that Herman won as much as he did at Texas with the absolute bottom feeder staff he brought in, was pretty impressive.

It never impressed me. Texas itself will recruit a top 10-15 class for a staff of complete rubes. Getting to the top 5 is a far bigger deal, and Herman’s crew did that. But as we know, that can be more of a function of how the rankings are calculated than how valuable the class really is.

Ohio State is the current embodiment of that and I think those chickens are coming home to roost and have been for a few years. They’re over ranked due to WR, DE and DB signings while basically ignoring the OL, interior DL and LBs. When push literally comes to shove against comparable talent, I’m taking whoever that opponent is to cover against Ohio State. 

• Hook 'Em 7

46 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
  • From a recruiting aspect, some of the recruits who haven't been to an A&M football game in the 2025 commit class, and you look at some of those guys: Noah Mikhail‍, Adonyss Currie‍, Jamar Beal-Goines‍, I think they come to A&M and see that atmosphere, and it cements their decision. 

What language is this?

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Eh, if he would just turn down his raging asshole dial by about 50% he would be a quality P4 coach. That, and not have his family jumping out of planes. 

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Texas is coming off of a College Football Playoff appearance. They're in the top five. To the outside eye, it looks like they're going in the right direction. As long as Texas wins games, they're going to recruit very well, and they're also NIL machines. Oregon is going to be a threat. USC tried to get Husan Longstreet. As of today, I'm not anticipating anyone who's waffling right now. That could change, though, and that's the nature of recruiting

Translation: 

IMG_5378.thumb.jpeg.99499711377ed5527019764a4e2ae265.jpeg

• Haha 9

26 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Eh, if he would just turn down his raging asshole dial by about 50% he would be a quality P4 coach. That, and not have his family jumping out of planes. 

Your post doesn’t address how he handled personnel regarding staff and administration. Can he fix how pathetic he was in these regards at Texas? Similarly, his staff’s ability to evaluate well when it comes to roster building would also have to be different as well. Seems like a couple of big asks. 

aggy Jason Howell 

• If you've been in Kyle Field, you've probably seen that most of the football recruit section is from the A&M bench side from the endzone to the 25-30 yard line, this time it stretched from the 25-30 yard line to the south end zone. There were some big 2026 recruits there, and it was the first time I've seen them in that section. That's when I knew this was different.

• It's Kyle Field at its best. People can be negative and talk about all they want, but at some point, this place is going to break through in football. I'm convinced of it. I don't know when it will happen. “Why can't A&M do it? Why can't A&M do it with Mike Elko?” I thought the loss had a lot of anger and emotions from previous seasons.

• From a recruiting aspect, some of the recruits who haven't been to an A&M football game in the 2025 commit class, and you look at some of those guys: Noah Mikhail‍, Adonyss Currie‍, Jamar Beal-Goines‍, I think they come to A&M and see that atmosphere, and it cements their decision. There are going to be some guys that take some visits where you have to weather the storm. I think a lot of people believe in coach Elko, believe in his vision of the program, and that's the beauty of year one. You can sell the sizzle.

• Texas is coming off of a College Football Playoff appearance. They're in the top five. To the outside eye, it looks like they're going in the right direction. As long as Texas wins games, they're going to recruit very well, and they're also NIL machines. Oregon is going to be a threat. USC tried to get Husan Longstreet. As of today, I'm not anticipating anyone who's waffling right now. That could change, though, and that's the nature of recruiting

Who would Texas want in their bullshit class? Muffintop Sanders, and maybe Armstrong and Currie? 

7 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm not certain Sark would have been as prepared to take over a big program like Texas when strong was being fired. I think the time with Saban was important for him and the relationships he was able to build with coaches he brought with him. That said, the roster that Sark would have inherited from chuckles would have been light years better than the crap he got from coach fuckface. Strong recruited a good amount of nfl talent. 

20 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Your post doesn’t address how he handled personnel regarding staff and administration. Can he fix how pathetic he was in these regards at Texas? Similarly, his staff’s ability to evaluate well when it comes to roster building would also have to be different as well. Seems like a couple of big asks. 

I find that highly doubtful because he may very well be a sociopath with pyscopathic tendencies.

aggy Jason Howell 

• From a recruiting aspect, some of the recruits who haven't been to an A&M football game in the 2025 commit class, and you look at some of those guys: Noah Mikhail‍, Adonyss Currie‍, Jamar Beal-Goines‍, I think they come to A&M and see that atmosphere, and it cements their decision. There are going to be some guys that take some visits where you have to weather the storm. I think a lot of people believe in coach Elko, believe in his vision of the program, and that's the beauty of year one. You can sell the sizzle.

Sell the gristle, he means. 

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

It never impressed me. Texas itself will recruit a top 10-15 class for a staff of complete rubes. Getting to the top 5 is a far bigger deal, and Herman’s crew did that. But as we know, that can be more of a function of how the rankings are calculated than how valuable the class really is.

Ohio State is the current embodiment of that and I think those chickens are coming home to roost and have been for a few years. They’re over ranked due to WR, DE and DB signings while basically ignoring the OL, interior DL and LBs. When push literally comes to shove against comparable talent, I’m taking whoever that opponent is to cover against Ohio State. 

Herman won as much as he did with such a shitty staff because he's an above-average offensive coordinator. That sets a pretty decent floor in terms of winning. 

The problem with Elko is I'm not sure he's calling the defense. It didn't look like he was on Saturday. 

38 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Herman won as much as he did with such a shitty staff because he's an above-average offensive coordinator. That sets a pretty decent floor in terms of winning. 

The problem with Elko is I'm not sure he's calling the defense. It didn't look like he was on Saturday. 

The only thing he was calling was extra gravy on his fourth chicken fried steak at the Dixie Chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

That is fair, and to be clear I don't expect him to ever be a top 10 coach. I just think a school like Purdue or Louisville or even Baylor would probably be happy with him knocking off a big name every couple of years and being a respectable team. They recruit like shit anyways, at least he can scheme them up. 

5 hours ago, Saint Tacky said:

madeanappearance.jpg.fe0a0e003fe5a50d523f43f2d6b768a5.jpg

obligatory "made an appearance" coming in and out of the tunnel. 

Oh boy.  You've got to be fucking terrible at football to not get any game time with the hot fucking garbage that aggy is rolling out onto the field.  

Considering they're all cubes, I guess they can't roll.  Whatever.  Fuck this guy.

• Haha 1