Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

The guy threw 3 tds in 6 games last year. He has thrown 0 in 2 games this year. He gets a ton of love for being gritty or some shit but he seems like he sucks.

Sounds like a true Elko Warrior with the heart of a lion. A nouveau Junction Boy.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I have a very hard time believing that Husan Longstreet actually makes it to campus after another early season loss or two. That one seems ripe for USC, UCLA, Oregon, or Washington to flip. 

I’ve been thinking he seems like a weird fit for Elko/Klein’s first QB recruit. He’s not unathletic, but he doesn’t exactly bring the rushing threat that the offense needs to be maximized and he’s not that big. He’s talented, and if you can get him to College Station I guess you have to do it.

It’s almost like Elko and Klein don’t really have any kind of real plan or vision on how to put together that roster. 

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

I’ve been thinking he seems like a weird fit for Elko/Klein’s first QB recruit. He’s not unathletic, but he doesn’t exactly bring the rushing threat that the offense needs to be maximized and he’s not that big. He’s talented, and if you can get him to College Station I guess you have to do it.
It’s almost like Elko and Klein don’t really have any kind of real plan or vision on how to put together that roster. 
Plan or vision? Don't need no stinkin plan or badges vato!

At first I thought Colin Klein was an odd fit for aggy, but that's simply because of Wiggy...but he won't last long behind his 5 matadors.

Fat Hamm

Key notes from Recruiting Country interview

I can't remember the last time we were caught completely off guard by a commitment. We had nothing prepared. It doesn't happen often. It reminds you how important all the preparation work is. 

I think Rashad Johnson‍ surprised a lot of people in the Bright Football Complex. He came into town for the Notre Dame game. Texas A&M quietly has done a much better job with him than most people around the country thought. The general consensus was that he would de-commit from Georgia and possibly go on a few trips. Him immediately flipping to Texas A&M caught a lot of people off guard.

Texas A&M is getting a need player at a need position in this class. Safety is a position where you look at the depth chart and can tell you are going to need some guys. Rashad Johnson was not a name we were even talking about as a possibility. We had to do a deeper dive on him as soon as he committed. 

When you look at his Hudl, it is clear why Georgia was keen on taking him. It is downhill and aggressive. He is physical and plays sideline to sideline. My favorite thing about him is his willingness to strike the ball carrier. That is what I saw when I would go watch Dalton Brooks. When he impacts the ball carrier, the play is dead right there. For Mike Elko and Ishmael Aristide, this was a player that was a necessity. They never wavered in their pursuit of him behind the scenes. A&M wasn't even mentioned as a possibility if he were to leave Georgia. He had a good offer list before committing to Georgia.

Texas A&M is at 21 commitments right now. Inevitably, someone committed to the Aggies right now will not sign with A&M. It happens that way every recruiting cycle. The transfer portal can help mitigate losses in high school classes and help fill the gaps in your roster. There is so much that can happen between now and whenever we see the final roster for Texas A&M next year.

Any new coaching staff gets a little bit of a leash. It stung to lose to Notre Dame, but because of the nature of recruiting, Texas A&M will get some leash.

In the end, it comes down to the steak. You can still sell the sizzle right now. That is an analogy I used with Jimbo Fisher. Towards the end, the sizzle had worn off, and he had to sell the steak, which meant he had to start winning games. Weston Davis, Ty'Anthony Smith, Drelon Miller, Dominick McKinley and Gabriel Reliford all ended up elsewhere because they lost games. In the end, it comes down to winning and losing, but right now, coach Elko has a leash on that front.

A lot of these kids are one-year rentals. A kid could have a great season, and he doesn't feel like he's playing enough, so he leaves. What does that do for other kids that are committed at that position? Everything is so fluid and independent of each other that it is hard to put recruiting into one basket.

Everything is different with every kid. Some kids have made decisions based on NIL. There are also kids I know who signed with A&M for less money because they value other things. NIL is not the king all the time. Every family and every kid values different things. 

How much I keep up with a recruit who doesn't choose Texas A&M depends on my relationship with the kid. I have known Drelon Miller forever so I still follow what he is doing.  Playing the what-if game is easy to do in hindsight.

I saw two of the best performances in the state of Texas this week. Jermaine Bishop‍ from WIllis is our No. 1 player in the state for 2026. He is a legit two-way player. He can play nickel/corner or receiver. He has enough skill on both sides of the ball that he could be a Terry Bussey-type.

Cardae Mack‍ is playing quarterback for Atascocita but is being recruited as a running back. He ran for 109 yards, threw for 254 and scored four touchdowns. Atascocita beat Katy by 17 points. I don't know the last time Katy got beat at home by more than a touchdown

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

After the 2022 season Leonard was thought of as one of the top QB prospects in the NFL draft for 2025 - now he's about to get benched.

Life Moves Pretty Fast GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

The difference between Christian Ponder and Riley Leonard is that Christian Ponder declared for the draft at the right time. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Fat Hamm

Key notes from Recruiting Country interview

I can't remember the last time we were caught completely off guard by a commitment. We had nothing prepared. It doesn't happen often. It reminds you how important all the preparation work is. 

I think Rashad Johnson‍ surprised a lot of people in the Bright Football Complex. He came into town for the Notre Dame game. Texas A&M quietly has done a much better job with him than most people around the country thought. The general consensus was that he would de-commit from Georgia and possibly go on a few trips. Him immediately flipping to Texas A&M caught a lot of people off guard.

Texas A&M is getting a need player at a need position in this class. Safety is a position where you look at the depth chart and can tell you are going to need some guys. Rashad Johnson was not a name we were even talking about as a possibility. We had to do a deeper dive on him as soon as he committed. 

When you look at his Hudl, it is clear why Georgia was keen on taking him. It is downhill and aggressive. He is physical and plays sideline to sideline. My favorite thing about him is his willingness to strike the ball carrier. That is what I saw when I would go watch Dalton Brooks. When he impacts the ball carrier, the play is dead right there. For Mike Elko and Ishmael Aristide, this was a player that was a necessity. They never wavered in their pursuit of him behind the scenes. A&M wasn't even mentioned as a possibility if he were to leave Georgia. He had a good offer list before committing to Georgia.

Texas A&M is at 21 commitments right now. Inevitably, someone committed to the Aggies right now will not sign with A&M. It happens that way every recruiting cycle. The transfer portal can help mitigate losses in high school classes and help fill the gaps in your roster. There is so much that can happen between now and whenever we see the final roster for Texas A&M next year.

Any new coaching staff gets a little bit of a leash. It stung to lose to Notre Dame, but because of the nature of recruiting, Texas A&M will get some leash.

In the end, it comes down to the steak. You can still sell the sizzle right now. That is an analogy I used with Jimbo Fisher. Towards the end, the sizzle had worn off, and he had to sell the steak, which meant he had to start winning games. Weston Davis, Ty'Anthony Smith, Drelon Miller, Dominick McKinley and Gabriel Reliford all ended up elsewhere because they lost games. In the end, it comes down to winning and losing, but right now, coach Elko has a leash on that front.

A lot of these kids are one-year rentals. A kid could have a great season, and he doesn't feel like he's playing enough, so he leaves. What does that do for other kids that are committed at that position? Everything is so fluid and independent of each other that it is hard to put recruiting into one basket.

Everything is different with every kid. Some kids have made decisions based on NIL. There are also kids I know who signed with A&M for less money because they value other things. NIL is not the king all the time. Every family and every kid values different things. 

How much I keep up with a recruit who doesn't choose Texas A&M depends on my relationship with the kid. I have known Drelon Miller forever so I still follow what he is doing.  Playing the what-if game is easy to do in hindsight.

I saw two of the best performances in the state of Texas this week. Jermaine Bishop‍ from WIllis is our No. 1 player in the state for 2026. He is a legit two-way player. He can play nickel/corner or receiver. He has enough skill on both sides of the ball that he could be a Terry Bussey-type.

Cardae Mack‍ is playing quarterback for Atascocita but is being recruited as a running back. He ran for 109 yards, threw for 254 and scored four touchdowns. Atascocita beat Katy by 17 points. I don't know the last time Katy got beat at home by more than a touchdown

A guy Georgia cut loose chooses them and it catches the coaches off guard. Somehow this is a good thing. He then spends the whole article giving reasons why it’s not a big deal if they lose a member of this class and then a bunch of gibberish about sizzling steak. Oh and then this guy is the top player in 2026 and I went to his game so it means we have a shot.

This is the Numero Uno for Texags in 2026.

https://247sports.com/player/jermaine-bishop-46136343/

I remember when they wrote articles like this throwing Ashton Funk’s name around like this.

Edited by Dondrysdale1
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The guy threw 3 tds in 6 games last year. He has thrown 0 in 2 games this year. He gets a ton of love for being gritty or some shit but he seems like he sucks.

A key moment in the game was with about 5 minutes left and ND was driving. 2nd and 1, I think. Leonard takes the snap and then throws deep into double coverage and it was picked. The WR didn’t really ever look open and Leonard underthrew him even if he was. 

Northern Illinois then squeezed the air out of the ball and kicked the game winning field goal with only like 15 seconds left on the clock. 

That singular play is so far the dumbest, most boneheaded play in CFB this year. There’s still a lot of football left to be played, but that could win the award for the year due to its damage inflicted. 

Notre Dame has taken 3 QB transfers in 4 years and has more or less destroyed hope in their room for the home grown guys. I’m here for it. 

That's interesting that they keep taking these transfers at QB just for them to be middling.  I took a passing interest in CJ Carr in the 2024 class because I thought it hilarious that he spurned his grandfather's team that he lead to a National Championship to go to a rival.  

The fact that I haven't heard of him even sniffing the field doesn't bode well for him.  

https://247sports.com/player/cj-carr-46103482/

11 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Riley appears to be doing ok himself

4e047-17079804256704-1920.jpg?w=640

Listen, I made sure I googled Molly Walding to make sure he wasn't walking around with a smokeshow. Is she very attractive? Absolutely. Has 90 to 95% of this board had zero shot whatsoever to even sniff anything that hot? Absolutely. 

But Sam Steele, dude. Come on. And Ponder managed to lock that down, versus that's just a girlfriend. If he keeps playing like he has while in another state from her, she's going to big dick that dude for someone who's dad owns a mercedes dealership in Birmingham. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Listen, I made sure I googled Molly Walding to make sure he wasn't walking around with a smokeshow. Is she very attractive? Absolutely. Has 90 to 95% of this board had zero shot whatsoever to even sniff anything that hot? Absolutely. 

But Sam Steele, dude. Come on. And Ponder managed to lock that down, versus that's just a girlfriend. If he keeps playing like he has while in another state from her, she's going to big dick that dude for someone who's dad owns a mercedes dealership in Birmingham. 

Speaking for the 5%-10% here, she's attractive but definitely not a smokehouse.

I realize you didn't refer to her as a smokeshow.

Edited by CfRhTxStBobcats
  • Hook 'Em 2

For anyone thinking about the game this weekend, Florida will not have 7 of their top 8 DBs, their top WR is out, and their best DL, Searcy, is "questionable". On paper, it looks like Florida is outgunned with those injuries, honestly. If Weigatron can't throw for 300+ and several TDs this weekend, when is that idiot going to do it?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

Florida injury report:

OUT:

• Khaleil Jackson WR (Out for season)

• Ja’Quavion Fraziars - WR

• Asa Turner - DB

• Ja'Keem Jackson - DB

• Keon Zipperer - TE

• Ahman Covington - DB

• Brayden Slade - DB

• Caleb Rillos - TE

• Brian Green Jr. - WR

• Jamari Lyons - DL

QUESTIONABLE:

• Andy Jean - WR

• T.J. Searcy - DL

• Devin Moore - CB

• Sharif Denson - STAR

• Bryce Thornton - S

• Eugene Wilson III - WR

13 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Florida injury report:

OUT:

• Khaleil Jackson WR (Out for season)

• Ja’Quavion Fraziars - WR

• Asa Turner - DB

• Ja'Keem Jackson - DB

• Keon Zipperer - TE

• Ahman Covington - DB

• Brayden Slade - DB

• Caleb Rillos - TE

• Brian Green Jr. - WR

• Jamari Lyons - DL

QUESTIONABLE:

• Andy Jean - WR

• T.J. Searcy - DL

• Devin Moore - CB

• Sharif Denson - STAR

• Bryce Thornton - S

• Eugene Wilson III - WR

For further color from the $9.95ers, they don't seem to believe that any of the Questionables actually play, and that's in part from attending some of the practices and hearing from players on the team. I think I'm reading their stuff correctly, at least.

If you want to look at other funny shit, The Elk did his bullshit and left a bunch of guys off the report and is basically daring the league to fine ATM. Shanahan allegedly hasn't had contact in practice this week, they left out guys like Enai White simply because they're interpreting the rules as only having to list guys who would have played otherwise. So by not listing White, are they just basically saying "fuck that guy, we don't consider him on the team anyhow" or something? I'm assuming Shanahan shows up as a GTD or something on gameday. 

On 9/10/2024 at 2:47 PM, closetojumping said:

For those who check on this thread for football team info, I've C&P'd their snapcount data through the first two games and spoilered it. A few notes below:

-They benched Bryce Anderson as a starter. He could be starting at Texas but had to get that $250k bag while forgoing his future earning potential. Get fucked, dummy. 

-Shanahan was forced to play snaps at C while not being listed there. They have since announced that Erb, who is 6'7", will be the back-up C going forward. They worked Dewberry at C during practices last week and he was a disaster. 

-Speaking of Dewberry, he barely got snaps in garbage time against McNeese State. He can get fucked as well. 

-Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy, all 5 stars of his fat ass, got a whopping 7 snaps against McNeese State. There are multiple walk-ons on the DL who got more snaps.

-This is a reminder that the rankings of GBD, Doooby Doooby Dew, Shanahan, and Anderson all factor into the lazy 247 "talent composite index" or whatever the fuck it is called. 

-Some WR from Troy that they were all knob-slobbing in the spring until he got hurt came back and played 8 irrelevant snaps.

-Bussey played a bunch. Tarp reports that they're only comfortable with jet sweeps and reverses for him at WR. Apparently, he's just running around on routes and not usually where he is supposed to be and they don't trust him yet. The guy is talented and this was game 2, so I assume he's actually going to get better and play more. 

-Starting WR Walker broke a finger early in the game and played one snap. The Elk lied about his status after the game and said he could have returned. "All Day" Jahdae is kind of needed this week, so I'm going to be entertained when he's in street clothes on the sidelines. 

-Scooby Williams, the terrible but needed starting LB, didn't suit out. The Elk attempted to downplay how badly he's hurt, but couldn't confirm that he'd be ready for SEC play. 

-Elko won't let reporters say anything definitively about injuries, even season-enders, so enjoy that skirting from Tarp in the write-up.

Also, I've said this was going to be a bad team all offseason for reasons that are playing out and can be seen in the snapcounts. The JAGger Index for this team is through the fucking roof. 

Hide contents

The Texas A&M football team saw 71 of its players receive snaps on offense (31) or defense (40) when defeating McNeese State, 52-10, at home Saturday in Kyle Field. The snap count for each Aggie player vs. the Cowboys – and for the whole season – can be seen below.

Offense (66 total plays)

Quarterback: Conner Weigman (39), Marcel Reed (27). 

Offensive line: Trey Zuhn III (53) Chase Bisontis (53), Ar'maj Reed-Adams (53), Kolinu'u Faaiu (35), Dametrious Crownover (33), TJ Shanahan (31), Reuben Fatheree II (21), Ashton Funk (13), Kam Dewberry (13), Aki Ogunbiyi (13), Blake Ivy (12).

Running back: Amari Daniels (26), Anthony DiNota (23), Le'Veon Moss (16), Israel Benjamin (1)

Tight end: Tre Watson (35), Theo Melin Öhrstrӧm (32), Donovan Green (12), Shane Calhoun (12). 

Wide receiver: Cyrus Allen (40), Noah Thomas (35), Terry Bussey (33), Moose Muhammad III (29), Ashton Bethel-Roman (12), Izaiah Williams (12), Jabre Barber (8), Jacob Bostick (2), Jahdae Walker (1), Micah Tease (1).

Starting lineup: Quarterback Conner Weigman, offensive linemen Trey Zuhn III (left tackle), Chase Bisontis (left guard), Kolinu'u Faaiu (center), Ar'maj Reed-Adams (right guard) and Dametrious Crownover (right tackle), running back Le'Veon Moss, wide receivers Noah Thomas and Jahdae Walker, and tight ends Tre Watson and Theo Melin Öhrstrӧm.

Injury notes: Walker started the game before permanently exiting with an apparent finger injury. A&M head coach Mike Elko said Walker could have reentered the game but was held out for precautionary reasons.

Running back EJ Smith did not dress out for the game. Elko described Smith as a game-time decision, though he did not disclose the nature of his injury. As expected, center Mark Nabou Jr. (lower body), running back Rueben Owens II (foot) and tight end Garrett Miller (undisclosed) were among other players who were not dressed out for the game.

Barber made his first return from the foot injury he suffered in the spring. However, he only played eight snaps.

Defense (59 total snaps)

Defensive line: DJ Hicks (28), Rylan Kennedy (26), Rodas Johnson (22), Malick Sylla (19), Shemar Stewart (15), Albert Regis (15), Nic Scourton (14), Solomon Williams (11), Samu Taumanupepe (11), Josh Celiscar (11), Kendall Jackson (10), Cashius Howell (10), Shemar Turner (10), Nana Boadi-Owusu (7), Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy (7), Drew Beltran (7), Dealyn Evans (6), Jadon Scarlett (5), Nathan Jackson (2), Cody Polk (2), Charlie Shears (1). 

Linebacker: Jordan Lockhart (38), Tristan Jernigan (32), Daymion Sanford (19), Taurean York (13), Solomon DeShields (11).

Defensive back: BJ Mayes (36), Jaydon Hill (36), Dezz Ricks (31), Jarred Kerr (29), Myles Davis (28), Jayvon Thomas (21), Will Lee III (18), Trey Jones (16), Bravion Rogers (15), Marcus Ratcliffe (15), Bryce Anderson (14), Dalton Brooks (13), Tyreek Chappell (13), Donovan Saunders (12).

Starting lineup: Defensive ends Nic Scourton and Shemar Stewart, defensive tackles Shemar Stewart and Albert Regis, linebackers Taurean York and Daymion Sanford, cornerbacks Will Lee III and Jayvon Thomas, nickel cornerback Tyreek Chappell, and safeties Marcus Ratcliffe and Dalton Brooks. 

Injury notes: Starting will linebacker Scooby Williams did not dress out for the game. Elko said Williams "possibly" would have played if they were facing an SEC opponent. He did not disclose what held him out.

As expected, defensive end Enai White (knee) did not dress out for the game.

Season snap count totals on offense (139 total plays)

Quarterback: Conner Weigman (112), Marcel Reed (27). 

Offensive line: Trey Zuhn III (126) Chase Bisontis (126), Ar'maj Reed-Adams (53), Kolinu'u Faaiu (85), Dametrious Crownover (103), TJ Shanahan (39), Mark Nabou Jr. (22), Reuben Fatheree II (21), Ashton Funk (13), Kam Dewberry (13), Aki Ogunbiyi (13), Blake Ivy (12).

Running back: Le'Veon Moss (64), Amari Daniels (42), Anthony DiNota (23), E.J. Smith (9), Israel Benjamin (1)

Tight end: Tre Watson (88), Theo Melin Öhrstrӧm (53), Shane Calhoun (20), Donovan Green (12).

Wide receiver: Noah Thomas (105), Cyrus Allen (101), Jahdae Walker (53), Terry Bussey (45), Moose Muhammad III (35), Ashton Bethel-Roman (12), Izaiah Williams (12), Jabre Barber (8), Micah Tease (8), Jacob Bostick (3).

Season snap totals on defense (126 total plays)

Defensive line: Shemar Turner (69), Nic Scourton (68), Shemar Stewart (62), Albert Regis (58), DJ Hicks (43), Rylan Kennedy (41), Cashius Howell (35), Rodas Johnson (32), Malick Sylla (19), Solomon Williams (11), Samu Taumanupepe (11), Josh Celiscar (11), Kendall Jackson (10), Nana Boadi-Owusu (7), Gabriel Brownlow-Dindy (7), Drew Beltran (7), Dealyn Evans (6), Jadon Scarlett (5), Nathan Jackson (2), Cody Polk (2), Charlie Shears (1). 

Linebacker: Taurean York (72), Scooby Williams (51), Daymion Sanford (43), Jordan Lockhart (38), Tristan Jernigan (32), Solomon DeShields (11).

Defensive back: Bryce Anderson (81), Jayvon Thomas (74), Will Lee III (72), Marcus Ratcliffe (71), Tyreek Chappell (68), Dezz Ricks (58), Jaydon Hill (41), BJ Mayes (36), Trey Jones (33), Jarred Kerr (29), Myles Davis (28), Bravion Rogers (15), Dalton Brooks (14), Donovan Saunders (12).

Thanks for the summary.

On 9/10/2024 at 2:58 PM, Hookem2147 said:

This is funny because Elko will have to release an injury report this week with the new rules and a SEC game on Saturday.

No more keeping secrets or keeping the media on a leash.

I was wondering why we saw an actual injury report.

It’s hard to fathom that in 2024 they still believe that if they can hide information and blur the truth and intentionally mislead their minions and believe all is well, knowing they have an actual football game with a live audience and camera’s, and the ugly truth will be revealed, and that is okay.

“We're better off just telling the truth.“

On 9/10/2024 at 5:53 PM, Foosters said:

kinda makes sense, using aggy logic

I need more muscles. I will eat other things' muscles.

Walla

Well, until last year, every-fucking-body told us to stay away from red meat, cheese, shellfish and other foods with cholesterol, because eating them would raise our cholesterol.

My doctor told me a few months ago I’m better off eating a steak and salad every day and to quit eating bread and flour tortilla’s later in the day, when my activity levels drop.

Yeah, aggy gonna aggy. Let’s fatten ‘em and we can practice getting faster. 

• Hook 'Em 1