Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

1 hour ago, Enchubben said:

supposedly you cannot review a kick as to whether or not it was good if it travels above the post. or something like that. 

That's what the announcer said. But I don't think the damn football was above the post!

Also within a few plays after aggy kicked off following the allowed field goal, there was a verrrry late hit out of bounds that was uncalled. The announcers correctly noted it. But the refs gave it zero thought. 

edit, found it - here at 2:17, 28 seconds - the missed/made field goal was a minute prior

Edited by Chopper

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

That's what the announcer said. But I don't think the damn football was above the post!

Also within a few plays after aggy kicked off following the allowed field goal, there was a verrrry late hit out of bounds that was uncalled. The announcers correctly noted it. But the refs gave it zero thought. 

edit, found it - here at 2:17, 28 seconds - the missed/made field goal was a minute prior

I guess our toxicity hasn't got to all the SEC refs......yet.

image.png.66c1577b3b64bcede03d2089a601a3b4.png

conferences.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

Snapshot of A&M's 2025 class 10 weeks away from early signing period

Did everyone know that the early signing period has changed?

We'd been calling for an alteration or complete elimination of the typically late December date for a couple of years now, and it appears the NCAA got the message.

This year, the class of 2025's first opportunity to sign with the school of their choice will be Dec. 4-6.

Now, that's actually not a horrible decision as those dates are sandwiched between the regular season and the College Football Playoff, but a majority of conference championship games do fall on that weekend. There's also the interesting case of schools who will be firing coaches. If you're planning on having new management for your football program (*cough, Florida, cough*), you better have an air-tight plan for how that transition is going to happen because you basically have no time to waste between the season and the signing period.

The change in date means there are essentially 10 weeks remaining in this recruiting cycle. Sure, there's still the February signing day remaining, but the days of that being the recruiting Super Bowl as it once was are long gone.

As I've written before, time in recruiting can be as fluid and evasive as the practice itself. As such, 70ish days in this arena can be an eternity. It can also be a flash. Either way, I think the fact that we are more than three-quarters of the way through this cycle will be surprising to a lot of folks, considering how much football is still left to be played.

Therefore, let's take a quick snapshot by position of where things stand today for the Aggies as they get ready to navigate the hall of mirrors that the home stretch of recruiting calendars can often be.

Quarterback
The Aggies have Husan Longstreet‍ committed, and up to this point, he has remained solid. He has also been in College Station quite a bit for a California kid. They're done here unless Longstreet starts getting cold feet. Things would get interesting if that happens, but as it stands, he's the guy.

Running Back
Trooper Taylor nabbed his top in-state target in Deondrae Riden‍ last offseason. The current depth chart looks like the Aggies may need more than one player at the position though. If I had to say today, I think this will be a spot used in the portal, but they have been keeping an eye on a few kids in state. They brought in Jayden Jackson‍ from Franklin last weekend.

Tight End
While we list Kiotti Armstrong‍ as an athlete, it's highly likely that he's going to start his college career at tight end, and he has started to play like an elite one for Jasper this season. The Aggies will be fighting off suitors up until signing day for him, but they've been up to the task so far. The staff is also still in pursuit of Vander Ploog‍, the 6-foot-6, 230-pounder out of California, who is committed to Washington.

Offensive Line
You'd think OL recruiting would be put on the back burner for a bit with five guys already committed at the position, but Adam Cushing isn't looking at it that way. A new offer out to Nelson McGuire‍ last week, as well as their continued chase of Lamont Rogers‍, makes it seem to me that they're still keen on adding one or two more if they can. I really like the way they've attacked the position this cycle.

Wide Receiver
Here's the big one that folks are going to keep an eye on. I'll say this, I do not anticipate this coaching and recruiting staff adding a body here just because they need numbers. If they're going after a high school prospect (like Daylan McCutcheon‍ or Jerome Myles‍), it's because they believe he's a championship-caliber player. I'm sure there will be a name or two more that pops up between now and December, but I expect the Aggies to be very active at receiver in the transfer portal. They're also having to hold off Texas for commit Kelshaun Johnson‍ as the Longhorns have upped their efforts on that front.

Defensive Line
Right now, I think the only remaining targets for Texas A&M would be Javion Hilson‍ and Tobi Haastrup‍. The former was committed to Florida State until earlier this month, while the latter is still under heavy evaluation by the Aggies (Sean Spencer went to see him play on Friday) and just about everyone else in the region. However, this is another position where Texas could be a thorn in the Aggies’ side as they'll host Chace Sims‍ on an official visit next week, or at least that’s what has been reported. We are keeping an eye on that though because there are some murmurs about the validity of the visit in the last few days. Regardless, Sims has gone on record and said he's going to keep looking at everything up until signing day. After hearing that, it certainly wouldn't surprise me if A&M starts to look at other interior defensive linemen as an insurance policy.

Linebacker
I don't anticipate anything new here as long as Noah Mikhail‍ and Kelvion Riggins‍ stay locked in to their verbal pledges. I believe the staff is happy with what they've got there. However, if one of the big-time names in the state or region wanted to give the Aggies a second look, I do not think Jay Bateman would turn down the opportunity. I would also have to believe that the coaches would take inventory of what they think of the youngsters on the current roster and make decisions on the future of the position with that in mind.

Defensive Back
There are five commitments here currently — three corners, one nickel and one safety. The goal seems to be keeping what they've got in the fold and then adding another safety if they can. Much like receiver, this is a position where I think you can find impact guys in the portal if the right high school player doesn't emerge between now and signing day. I think Jordan Peterson and Ish Aristide are excited about what they've been able to do in the defensive backfield so far but would like to close it out with a bang, if possible

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Brauny (he's so muscular and dreamy) seems to assume the attitude that A&M is some sort of national player. It is surprising that a few of their top recruits are from California. A&M has no glamour. College Station is a small town with virtually no unique appeal. It's an ugly campus surrounded on one side by a Who's Who of chain restaurants and on the other by desolation or Holy Kyle Field.

I just can't see a high value athlete landing there and being "blown away" by anything other than their fab facilities and the weird shit their students do. It's not better than the shithole towns of desert California. What do you hang your hat on as a recruit? All the benefits of being a scholarship football players are roughly equal everywhere. 

Why A&M if you have more interesting choices? It's not Elko. It's not the prospect of ever playing for anything important. It's not the campus or the area around it. What? Maybe the loud fans, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 1

There's got to be a chance that Husan Longstreet decides to look elsewhere if aTm continues to look like hammered dogshit. Between that, maybe potentially possibly Hilson committing to us this weekend, and us stealing Sims from their DL class, have to think there could a massive fucking aggie meltdown on the horizon. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

There's got to be a chance that Husan Longstreet decides to look elsewhere if aTm continues to look like hammered dogshit. Between that, maybe potentially possibly Hilson committing to us this weekend, and us stealing Sims from their DL class, have to think there could a massive fucking aggie meltdown on the horizon. 

The dude’s brother is a walk-on there or something. What could that guy possibly be telling him to keep him stably committed? 

I’ve said it before but if that QB willingly signs with ATM after seeing this season and hearing about the history of QB failure there, he immediately becomes the dumbest motherfucker on a college football roster. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

The dude’s brother is a walk-on there or something. What could that guy possibly be telling him to keep him stably committed? 

I’ve said it before but if that QB willingly signs with ATM after seeing this season and hearing about the history of QB failure there, he immediately becomes the dumbest motherfucker on a college football roster. 

"Bro, the gay sex scene here is off the fucking chain."

NTTIAWRT.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Connor Weigman says you don’t know………..  Ok your right. 

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

The dude’s brother is a walk-on there or something.

This is correct. Transferred from Louisville to walk on at aggy and is not currently listed on their roster. 

https://247sports.com/player/kevin-longstreet-46131735/

They're both from CA - I can't imagine the non-rostered walk on would ask his brother to sign with aggy for his sake. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

My read is that they need USC to hang on to Juju Lewis so that USC doesn't immediately poach Longstreet 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That Longstreet kid could see early playing time if aggy qbs stay shitty. That’s the only reason I see him still committed. 

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Aggie boards and social media now starting to talk about Weigman not showing up to practice. Heisman candidate transfer incoming!  Dude is going to light the Big 12 on fire next year at Okie State. 

Truth be told, that probably wouldn't be a bad place for him.

• Hook 'Em 2

Thinking of Wiggy Baby, it's pretty tough and high-pressure for most QBs at prominent programs. In our history, I'm sort of ashamed at how fans handled Applewhite-Simms. Simms caught shameful amount of shit by the Applewhite adherents. 

That happens to just about every Aggie QB other than Stephen McGee and Manziel. Tannehill didn't get adoration, but he wasn't beaten down much. I read yesterday someone writing on Texags how they haven't had a decent QB since Manziel. Mond doesn't count, I guess, because he may be a Blaggie.

They skin the rest alive because they are the simplest fans around: 

You lose. It's the QB.

Can't move the ball. It's the playcalling and the QB.

Team looks down. QB needs to be a leader like Holy Bucky.

When the Aggie defense plays poorly. The DC doesn't make halftime adjustsments and our shitty qb.

They're the worst fans.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, closetojumping said:

I have a friend who was dating Simms during that whole thing.  She’s French and doesn’t give a shit about football, so she was totally ignorant and unprepared for what unfolded. Listening to her describe the overall experience and what he went through is both sobering and surreal. 

Mack mishandled it all, but Texas fans embarrassed all of us in that debacle. 

Texas should invite Simms back and recognize him the way they do so many of the past greats and celebrate him at a game. They’ve never done it. I know he never won a conference title and choked against CU and those teams never beat OU, but damn. My fear if they ever did have him on the field and show him on the big screen is that a bunch of the same fucking idiots would make his return feel shabby. That wouldn’t be on Mack. That would be on pieces of shit among our fanbase. 

Rod Babers says he hasn’t been back to campus since he left. I 100% agree they need to honor him somehow. Also some crazy stories he shared about what fans did to his vehicles and shit as well. 

• Hook 'Em 5

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have a friend who was dating Simms during that whole thing.  She’s French and doesn’t give a shit about football, so she was totally ignorant and unprepared for what unfolded. Listening to her describe the overall experience and what he went through is both sobering and surreal. 

Mack mishandled it all, but Texas fans embarrassed all of us in that debacle. 

Texas should invite Simms back and recognize him the way they do so many of the past greats and celebrate him at a game. They’ve never done it. I know he never won a conference title and choked against CU and those teams never beat OU, but damn. My fear if they ever did have him on the field and show him on the big screen is that a bunch of the same fucking idiots would make his return feel shabby. That wouldn’t be on Mack. That would be on pieces of shit among our fanbase. 

Maybe a more controlled environment. Media release of promo video which includes interviews with guys like Ewers about how they looked up to him or some such. Build up the positive image in hard-to-assail formats until the time is more opportune for a live recognition.

EDIT maybe interview with guys like Colt. Ha I'm getting old.

Edited by Magus Ossis
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Aggie boards and social media now starting to talk about Weigman not showing up to practice. Heisman candidate transfer incoming!  Dude is going to light the Big 12 on fire next year at Okie State. 

For his sake I hope he transfers to a FLA juco and attempts to reignite his baseball career.

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Intraconference transfer rule still in effect for the sec?

My understanding is anyone who transfers during the winter window is eligible to play immediately. If you enter after Jan 1 you have to sit out a year if transfer to another SEC school. Just trying to limit issues with players going through spring practice then playing for conference opponent in fall due to systems, plays, signals, etc

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut

2 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

If you enter after Jan 1 you have to sit out a year if transfer to another SEC school. Just trying to limit issues with players going through spring practice then playing for conference opponent in fall due to systems, plays, signals, etc

Until the lawsuit

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Notre Dame and Michigan actually have plausible academic standards for their student athletes.  Listen to a couple of Weigman's press conferences and tell me that he's going to Notre Dame or Michigan.  

He's from a nice suburb and his family has money. They'd find a way to hit the bare minimum.

Edited by texifornia

3 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Notre Dame and Michigan actually have plausible academic standards for their student athletes.  Listen to a couple of Weigman's press conferences and tell me that he's going to Notre Dame or Michigan.  

You should have heard him before all the concussions :(

Just because I'm bored: David Trenton Ash (born July 29, 1992) is a former American football quarterback who last played for the Warsaw Mets in the Polish Football League in 2021. And now in Austin - I’m happy to share that I’m starting a new position as B2B Sales at iMazing! check us out -->https://imazing.com/app

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Notre Dame is also going to be looking for a transfer QB, yet again. 

Are they saying this on their boards or something? Last I was over on the ND 247 board weeks ago, Loy or Lemming or one of their guys was touting the promise of Carr, the highly ranked true freshman. Taking a new QB every year seems unsustainable, but it’s a new frontier, I guess. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Exactly.  I doubt any of these restrictions will survive a judicial challenge.

It’s a close one imo. Pretty analogous to a non-compete, which are still technically enforceable in certain contexts. Having a very narrowly tailored rule like: you can’t enter the portal after you’ve gone through spring practice and then transfer in-conference is a pretty narrow, reasonable restriction. At least it was prior to realignment. The more consolidated the conferences get, the less reasonable that restriction becomes. There’s a strong argument to be made (at least for some positions under the right circumstances) that you may not have legitimate options outside of the conference. May eventually need to change it to only sitting out if transferring to a team that’s on your schedule that season. 

22 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

It’s a close one imo. Pretty analogous to a non-compete, which are still technically enforceable in certain contexts. Having a very narrowly tailored rule like: you can’t enter the portal after you’ve gone through spring practice and then transfer in-conference is a pretty narrow, reasonable restriction. At least it was prior to realignment. The more consolidated the conferences get, the less reasonable that restriction becomes. There’s a strong argument to be made (at least for some positions under the right circumstances) that you may not have legitimate options outside of the conference. May eventually need to change it to only sitting out if transferring to a team that’s on your schedule that season. 

Except that a non-compete is a contract between an employer and an employee.  This is a rule decided by a group of competitors (each of the SEC schools are competitors in the marketplace).  This would be like if Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and Netflix got together and agreed not to allow employees to transfer between their companies without severe restrictions.  It is pretty clearly an antitrust violation.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Christ. How much weed do we think this guy smoked? Is Captain Doobage running through so much of that shit that he’s at risk of flunking out or something?  

Idk how much lower the standards are for ND as transfer vs incoming freshmen but he gives me no faith that he's some kind of whiz kid