Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

44 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Except that a non-compete is a contract between an employer and an employee.  This is a rule decided by a group of competitors (each of the SEC schools are competitors in the marketplace).  This would be like if Google, Facebook, Apple, Amazon, and Netflix got together and agreed not to allow employees to transfer between their companies without severe restrictions.  It is pretty clearly an antitrust violation.

Like this?

Edited by Tree Fidy
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, closetojumping said:

My fear if they ever did have him on the field and show him on the big screen is that a bunch of the same fucking idiots would make his return feel shabby.

Judging by the way morons still take their little potshots on this board, it absolutely would happen.  It's a damn shame.

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Texas should start with a highlight video honoring him and check the reaction in the stadium. The pain he inflicted in Aggie blowouts alone should be met with laughter and applause. Wins at Lincoln and Manhattan…..for a long while he was the only QB who had won in Manhattan. 

Edited by Revolution512
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I think Texas should start with a highlight video honoring him and check the reaction in the stadium. The pain he inflicted in Aggie blowouts alone should be met with laughter and applause. Wins at Lincoln and Manhattan…..for a long while he was the only QB who had won in Manhattan. 

Yet Major didn't get shit on when he blew games....shit made no sense.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

fyi he's referring to his own kid - Tony Grimes here with the A&M "issue": https://247sports.com/player/tony-grimes-46048912/college-290656/

TexAgs' 15% or whatever has to come from somewhere. Sorry, Grimes and father.

I'm sure this won't be used against them on recruiting trail at all

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, PTINS said:

Texas is similar to most schools with large numbers of fans in that there is always a vocal minority that thinks they are right, with the mistaken belief that the louder they say it the more right they are.  They have the patience of a gnat, and a sense they are entitled to whatever they want, right now, without ever putting in the work to get it. Just paying for it is not the same as work. Those same people also cannot distinguish between an NFL veteran QB and an 18 year old kid. Every teenager makes mistakes, that is how they learn. 

The stench left from the way so many treated Chris Simms is one of the darkest stains on our proud history. His recruiting was not unlike Arch's. A super talented, high profile player with an Super Bowl MVP father, who was flooded with offers and information, and choose Texas, against the conventional wisdom. He choose Texas. For me, it's very simple, if you are on the field wearing a Texas jersey, then you are My QB. Regardless of the way he was treated here, Chris took the high road. 

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thinking it, saying it, and taking the time to write it are different things. You can call someone's mother a whore, and apologize for it later, but things are NEVER going to be the same. 

That unattractive portion of our fan base didn't go anywhere. The "Seven win Steve" crowd is still here, with a piece of crow between their teeth that will never go away.

Wait a second, here. How this fanbase treated Chris Simms aside, what with him being a player, are you saying that coaches who coach for your team are above criticism for poor performance? Men who are paid tens of millions of dollars are above verbal reproach becuase they coach your team? Becuase I view a player who decided to come represent your school and a coach who is paid more money than most of us will even dream of in our lifetime to represent our school to be entirely different things. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait a second, here. How this fanbase treated Chris Simms aside, what with him being a player, are you saying that coaches who coach for your team are above criticism for poor performance? Men who are paid tens of millions of dollars are above verbal reproach becuase they coach your team? Becuase I view a player who decided to come represent your school and a coach who is paid more money than most of us will even dream of in our lifetime to represent our school to be entirely different things. 

I didn’t read it that way. I think he’s referring to people who almost resent that they were wrong about Sarkisian and might even low-key prefer that he fail so they can come out with the I-told-you-sos. That is, their feelings and egos are more important than Texas’ actual success. But I may be misinterpreting him. 

2 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

I didn’t read it that way. I think he’s referring to people who almost resent that they were wrong about Sarkisian and might even low-key prefer that he fail so they can come out with the I-told-you-sos. That is, their feelings and egos are more important than Texas’ actual success. But I may be misinterpreting him. 

Maybe. I was just seeking to clarify.

I wasn't sure Sark was a great hire, or even a good one, and I said so. And I certainly wasn't thrilled with early returns. But myself and others still dove into NIL. I sure as hell don't feel like I've got crow in my teeth. I also thought Herman was a great hire. And I was willing to give Strong the benefit of the doubt for about 1.5 years, even though red flags started going up immediately. 

The thing about when a coach is going to be a failure, or is starting to be past his prime, is that the signs are usually all out in the open. They're not hard to see. You can be wrong early on, but if you're even remotely discerning, it's rare that you're wrong durther down the line when a coach starts losing their touch. Either way, I've got zero fucking problem criticizing a fucking coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wasn't sure Sark was a great hire, or even a good one, and I said so. And I certainly wasn't thrilled with early returns. But myself and others still dove into NIL. I sure as hell don't feel like I've got crow in my teeth. I also thought Herman was a great hire. And I was willing to give Strong the benefit of the doubt for about 1.5 years, even though red flags started going up immediately. 

The thing about when a coach is going to be a failure, or is starting to be past his prime, is that the signs are usually all out in the open. They're not hard to see. You can be wrong early on, but if you're even remotely discerning, it's rare that you're wrong durther down the line when a coach starts losing their touch. Either way, I've got zero fucking problem criticizing a fucking coach. 

Totally fair. Like I said, I may not even be reading it the way he meant it. 

I don’t want to rehash Sarkisian’s trajectory. I think he was stuck with a rotten culture, a roster he didn’t like, and probably a little stubbornness about how he wished things already were than how they really were, but that may just be my post-hoc rationalizations. But, yeah, a grown-ass man getting paid generational money every year is fair game for criticism, imo. 

• Like 1

“Myself” is not a subjective pronoun.  EVER!

It is a reflexive objective pronoun, meaning that it is a direct object/ indirect object/ object of a preposition and has to match a 1st person singular (“I”) subject. 

Here’s a tip:

If what I have written does NOT make sense…

YOU ARE TOO IGNORANT TO USE THE WORD “MYSELF”, so just stop!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled mocking.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

“Myself” is not a subjective pronoun.  EVER!

It is a reflexive objective pronoun, meaning that it is a direct object/ indirect object/ object of a preposition and has to match a 1st person singular (“I”) subject. 

Here’s a tip:

If what I have written does NOT make sense…

YOU ARE TOO IGNORANT TO USE THE WORD “MYSELF”, so just stop!

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled mocking.

14 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Que?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Mojo Risin' said:

Myself will check back on this thread later

One exception when “Myself” is a subjective pronoun:

”I am myself when I am around friends…”

”I am not myself at work…”

When using “to be”, but it still does not start a sentence. 

Okay, I am off to enjoy a gloomy Brooklyn autumn afternoon/evening. You all can talk among(st) yourselves. 👀

7 hours ago, Napoleon said:

One exception when “Myself” is a subjective pronoun:

”I am myself when I am around friends…”

”I am not myself at work…”

When using “to be”, but it still does not start a sentence. 

Okay, I am off to enjoy a gloomy Brooklyn autumn afternoon/evening. You all can talk among(st) yourselves. 👀

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Shanahan is out. I don’t even know if their $9.95ers know who is going to play C on Saturday. 

Anderson is questionable and that usually means he won’t play. That dude’s NFL stock is collapsing in real time. Good luck to them at S. 

It feels like it gets over used here, but it still always feels so appropriate...

Jerry Seinfeld Popcorn GIF by Sheets & Giggles

• Hook 'Em 2

Something else that is kind of crazy to me is that, all of the sudden, The Elk is listing Enai White on the availability list. He’s not even “out”. He’s listed as “questionable” all of the sudden. Dude has been persona non grata with them since his injury last fall, now he’s in danger of showing up in a game? I’m honestly wondering if the conference didn’t call them out on listing the guy. 

So, just reading tea leaves, it looks like ATM went desperate again when it comes to winning a DT against Texas. 

The Elk was involved with the Fisher recruiting approach of just going fucking nuts to win any DT or Edge that they could buy and keep away from UGa, LSU and Bama. Forget any other positions, if you land the defensive front guys that everyone covets, then you will surely win titles. 

I guess we’ll see how it works out, but so far, that approach has been a comical disaster. The biggest part of problem looks like development, or lack thereof. The Elk is a good defensive coach, but he is a dogshit coach when it comes to development. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So, just reading tea leaves, it looks like ATM went desperate again when it comes to winning a DT against Texas. 

The Elk was involved with the Fisher recruiting approach of just going fucking nuts to win any DT or Edge that they could buy and keep away from UGa, LSU and Bama. Forget any other positions, if you land the defensive front guys that everyone covets, then you will surely win titles. 

I guess we’ll see how it works out, but so far, that approach has been a comical disaster. The biggest part of problem looks like development, or lack thereof. The Elk is a good defensive coach, but he is a dogshit coach when it comes to development. 

Screenshot 2024-09-26 095529.png

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Screenshot 2024-09-26 095529.png

knowing that this would be the case… why did Gerry go all Ketchum on this one? Like ctj spoke of the Elk taking on the jumbo strategy, was it a case of getting them to spend resources on a position knowing we have equal or better options and now down the road those resources to maybe keep a corner in their class might not be there?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Making them double down (or more) on a guy they already had committed makes me chuckle even if we don't flip him. They are the epitome of emotional buyers when it comes to us, and we can pull on that thread anytime we want to. 

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

knowing that this would be the case… why did Gerry go all Ketchum on this one? Like ctj spoke of the Elk taking on the jumbo strategy, was it a case of getting them to spend resources on a position knowing we have equal or better options and now down the road those resources to maybe keep a corner in their class might not be there?

If I remember correctly, Gerry was confident on the flip IF they got the kid on campus this weekend. Now that the Elk has upped their offer, the kid isn't visiting (for now).

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Shanahan is out. I don’t even know if their $9.95ers know who is going to play C on Saturday. 

It looks like the transfer from Utah will be the guy. He started 8 games for Utah last year. I'm not sure why he wasn't playing already. While there is certainly a reason he's running 3rd string, I can't imagine the difference between him and Shanahan is all that great. He's at least an upperclassman and has some experience.

The A&M/Arkansas game is always such a weird shitshow. Both teams do multiple stupid things for three quarters, and then Arkansas always seems to find a way to shoot themselves in the dick at the end to lose.

If there were ever a year for the Hogs to get over on A&M, you would think this is it. Arkansas can move the ball. They have the best offense that A&M has seen so far (low bar) and Bobby Petrino running a wide open system going up and down the field on them would be serious comedy. But who knows which Arkansas team is going to show up week to week? They didn't play well against Auburn, but got 5 turnovers and pulled out the win. They dominated the stats against Oklahoma State and somehow found a way to lose. 

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It looks like the transfer from Utah will be the guy. He started 8 games for Utah last year. I'm not sure why he wasn't playing already. While there is certainly a reason he's running 3rd string, I can't imagine the difference between him and Shanahan is all that great. He's at least an upperclassman and has some experience.

The A&M/Arkansas game is always such a weird shitshow. Both teams do multiple stupid things for three quarters, and then Arkansas always seems to find a way to shoot themselves in the dick at the end to lose.

If there were ever a year for the Hogs to get over on A&M, you would think this is it. Arkansas can move the ball. They have the best offense that A&M has seen so far (low bar) and Bobby Petrino running a wide open system going up and down the field on them would be serious comedy. But who knows which Arkansas team is going to show up week to week? They didn't play well against Auburn, but got 5 turnovers and pulled out the win. They dominated the stats against Oklahoma State and somehow found a way to lose. 

I vaguely remember the Utah fans being happy to see the guy go 

20 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

100% agree that a player and coach are different situations. High School recruits are kids, until they aren't.

I was agreeing with the notion that the people that attacked Simms and Sark are still here, in some cases may be the same people.

Coaches are paid to do a job, no different than most people. They are open to criticism, no doubt. Early Mack built a great program, late Mack let it crumble beneath him.

20 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

This. The "I told you so!" crowd after Arkansas. Sark made his own mistakes. He was obviously surprised by the reception in Fayetteville. He shouldn't have been. There are plenty of people here (at Texas, not necessarily Surly) who knew the depth of passion between Arkansas and Texas. Too bad Sark didn't hear, or believe, those opinions. 

But Sark was a first year coach, not late Mack that mailed it in.  

19 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Thank you for the time you and others put into this, as well as the insights you share for our benefit.

Watching a coaching decline is like the frog in boiling water. By the time you realize it, it's too late.

19 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Totally fair. Like I said, I may not even be reading it the way he meant it. 

I don’t want to rehash Sarkisian’s trajectory. 

But, yeah, a grown-ass man getting paid generational money every year is fair game for criticism, imo. 

There's a time and place for everything.

I spent 30+ years in the commercial side of O&G, most of that time competing against bigger and more established companies. We identified deficiencies, and tried to minimize their impact. Don't recall anybody ever sending messages to our competitors highlighting our weaknesses.

I've also provided expert witness analysis and testimony for 20+ years. There are many thoughts and ideas I discussed internally that were never memorialized in writing. You know, discovery and smoking guns.

image.png.c8758808e102a54479ec1e141f707e94.png

2 minutes ago, PTINS said:

100% agree that a player and coach are different situations. High School recruits are kids, until they aren't.

I was agreeing with the notion that the people that attacked Simms and Sark are still here, in some cases may be the same people.

Coaches are paid to do a job, no different than most people. They are open to criticism, no doubt. Early Mack built a great program, late Mack let it crumble beneath him.

This. The "I told you so!" crowd after Arkansas. Sark made his own mistakes. He was obviously surprised by the reception in Fayetteville. He shouldn't have been. There are plenty of people here (at Texas, not necessarily Surly) who knew the depth of passion between Arkansas and Texas. Too bad Sark didn't hear, or believe, those opinions. 

But Sark was a first year coach, not late Mack that mailed it in.  

Thank you for the time you and others put into this, as well as the insights you share for our benefit.

Watching a coaching decline is like the frog in boiling water. By the time you realize it, it's too late.

There's a time and place for everything.

I spent 30+ years in the commercial side of O&G, most of that time competing against bigger and more established companies. We identified deficiencies, and tried to minimize their impact. Don't recall anybody ever sending messages to our competitors highlighting our weaknesses.

I've also provided expert witness analysis and testimony for 20+ years. There are many thoughts and ideas I discussed internally that were never memorialized in writing. You know, discovery and smoking guns.

image.png.c8758808e102a54479ec1e141f707e94.png

Yeah, be careful about what you say and write. 

IMG_0058.JPG

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

48 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Arkansas and South Carolina will never do what Texas fans want them to do. 

They will always let us down. 

• Rage+1 2