Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

14 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Seriously, WTF is that? Is he cheering for the refs?

No, the actual story is amusing. Rob Lowe had to be at that game todo a promotional bit for a show on the network. But he didn’t care about either team so when they offered him a hat to wear on the broadcast took the NFL hat which he had never seen before and wore that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ryan Brauninger

TexAgs' recruiting analyst Ryan Brauninger joined TexAgs Live on Wednesday morning for another edition of Recruiting Country, highlighting the latest news and notes from the recruiting trail surrounding Texas A&M.

Key notes from Recruiting Country

You wonder going into football season, A&M has this amount of commitments, and here's the group of players that they are after. You're talking about a Tobi Haastrup‍ or Lamont Rogers‍. The receivers they've been after Daylan McCutcheon‍ and Malik Clark‍. Clark is the outlier. The pool of players they're going after is not vast and expansive. It is really just the same names. A&M has not cast a wide net. We're halfway through the season now. By this point, the Hudl tapes have made the rounds. Anybody who's had really good seasons has been scouted. You have to wonder: A&M must feel good about its recruits because they don't feel the need to stretch themselves right now.

What we also do not know is how much each year they will allot to the portal. Even though this is their first recruiting class, they were behind in the class of 2025 in terms of relationships and getting to know the important decision-makers. 

I think we'll see in the class of 2026 a really clear picture of how they want to operate going forward. For the class of 2025, I think they're really comfortable with how its looking. Right now, it looks like the plan is to hold firm with what they've got, be really focused on the targetted players, and look to get the rest of them from the portal. They really need a running back. This makes me feel like they're allocating this spot for a transfer from the portal. Deondrae Riden‍ had a great weekend, and I think they're excited to have him as their high school running back. Le'Veon Moss is looking like he is going to the NFL, so it looks like they're going to need another running back.

I think they would like to find a tight end who they feel confident in as an in-line blocker and also can function in the passing game. Nick Townsend‍ is an outlier there because he's a freak show of an athlete. Maybe, they're looking for more of a Max Wright type of body style. You can go position by position, and I don't think they're going to take a body to take a body. It doesn't seem like they're going to expand the player pool just because they need more bodies. There is a kid out of Austin Anderson High School named Ed Small‍. He was once committed to Texas to play baseball, but now he's going the football route, and his stock keeps going up and up. He's now committed to TCU, but I love his game.

We don't know how Mike Elko really wants to operate. With the way that player movement happens now, I think that being rigid in the way that you approach recruiting is even more faulty than it ever has been. Just saying every year that you want to take X amount of kids from highschool and X amount from the portal, you really don't know how the portal is going to look by the year. Being rigid like that is pretty shortsighted, and I don't think the coaching staff is going to think like that.

Texas is really trying to be a thorn in their side as much as they can with Kelshaun Johnson‍. Chace Sims‍ looks locked in, but Texas is definitely going to try to get him to campus. Oregon hasn't gone anywhere with these West Coast kids. USC and Husan Longstreet‍ have been a big talking point, but I haven't heard anything about that. It was all speculation. I think we have not said the coaching staff has not been doing a great job because the closest thing to a flip was with Chace Sims, where they nipped it in the bud and got him on campus the next week.

Tiger Riden has always had that sort of volume in his game. He was due for a game like that since he is so talented and plays for a great team. You're going to see their star players come to the forefront in the district-run and even in the playoffs.

Texas A&M is interested in the younger kids on that Prosper offensive line. Zaden Krempin‍ is one of them. He is a huge target for A&M in the 2026 class. I forget the other one's name. They have an incredible offensive line. Connor Carty‍ is committed here. They have great players there.

Ryan Williams is crazy. There are hardly any humans that can change direction the way he did in the Georgia game. Texas A&M is not in on any players like Ryan Williams. I mentioned Malik Clark and Daylan McCutcheon as kids they are kicking the tires on. Billy Liucci has said they are going to keep the window open for transfers this offseason. 

I think Helaman Casuga‍ moving his commitment date has more to do with him making sure all his family can be there. I don't think it is too much to read into as far as where A&M stands. Anything can happen, but we feel pretty good about where A&M sits. He seems like he'll end up wherever he commits because of the kid that he is. Our limited interactions with him and his family have been super. It seems like he checks a lot of the culture boxes that Mike Elko is looking for, especially in a signal caller and a leader. 

We are going to get a much clearer picture with this 2026 class of how they want to run a recruiting class from start to finish. They were behind when they came in for the class of 2025.

A lot of folks are saying this is Mike Elko's most talented team. There is no way for you to know that. You have no idea if this will be his most talented team. I think people are saying that because of the 2022 recruiting class. Pull up that class and see how many of those guys are impact players at Texas A&M. Go look at the 2023 class that wasn't rated as high. It has some real players in it that are making an impact on Saturday.

If you believe that this is going to be Mike Elko's most talented football team, then you can't come in behind that and say he struggles as a recruiter. Let me go through the names of the players that Mike Elko recruited that are playing on Saturday: Cyrus Allen, Terry Bussey, Jabre Barber, Tre Watson, Shane Calhoun, EJ Smith, Ar'maj Reed-Adams, Koli Faaiu. All those guys are playing, and some of them are playing a bunch. If this offense is going to take a jump, it is going to be those guys.

On defense, here are some of the names: Dezz Ricks, Will Lee III, Jaydon Hill, Trey Jones III, Marcus Ratcliffe, Scooby Williams, Solomon DeShields, Nic Scourton, Cashius Howell and Myles Davis. All those guys are either playing a bunch or a little. They all committed to Mike Elko when he came in as the new coach.

The last names on my list are Shemar Turner, Bryce Anderson and Tyreek Chappell. Elko played a massive role in recruiting all those guys as they were coming out of high school as well. If you say that this is a super-talented team, then you better give props to the head man for being a recruiter.

Jalen Milroe would have come here without question. Jimbo Fisher & Co. chose Eli Stowers over him. They had them in back-to-back days at camp. Milroe has gotten better and better, and he's turned himself into potentially a Heisman trophy winner and first-round pick. 

Anthony Evans III, the wide receiver from Converse-Judson. The Aggies never really got into his recruitment and he went to Georgia. Now he is returning punts and kickoffs for them. 

Julian Humphrey is a cornerback for Georgia. He is from Clear Lake High School, and A&M never pursued him out of high school. He was good enough to go to Georgia and start. 

Dillon Bell might be Georgia's best receiver. He is a Houston Kincaid kid. 

It is always funny to track the kids that A&M did not pursue from the state of Texas that go to these big programs in the SEC or nationally. I am not talking about kids like Donovan Jackson who A&M really wanted. I am talking about the kids that A&M did not push for who went to schools like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss or LSU. I wonder if this new staff will take that into account and be more aggressive in pursuing Texas kids that they may be fringe on to prevent them from going to another school and playing against him.

You have to trust your own evaluations, but if another school is pursuing someone hard, then you may need to give them another look. A program that makes everyone in Texas give a kid another look when they offer is Utah. They have a reputation for scouting the state and offering kids, and then a lot of folks go back and reevaluate

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Texas A&M is interested in the younger kids on that Prosper offensive line. Zaden Krempin‍ is one of them. He is a huge target for A&M in the 2026 class. I forget the other one's name. They have an incredible offensive line. Connor Carty‍ is committed here. They have great players there.

18 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Ryan Williams is crazy. There are hardly any humans that can change direction the way he did in the Georgia game. Texas A&M is not in on any players like Ryan Williams. I mentioned Malik Clark and Daylan McCutcheon as kids they are kicking the tires on. Billy Liucci has said they are going to keep the window open for transfers this offseason. 

19 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

A lot of folks are saying this is Mike Elko's most talented team. There is no way for you to know that. You have no idea if this will be his most talented team. I think people are saying that because of the 2022 recruiting class. Pull up that class and see how many of those guys are impact players at Texas A&M. Go look at the 2023 class that wasn't rated as high. It has some real players in it that are making an impact on Saturday.

20 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

On defense, here are some of the names: Dezz Ricks, Will Lee III, Jaydon Hill, Trey Jones III, Marcus Ratcliffe, Scooby Williams, Solomon DeShields, Nic Scourton, Cashius Howell and Myles Davis. All those guys are either playing a bunch or a little. They all committed to Mike Elko when he came in as the new coach.

I normally let some of you more eloquent posters like Romavicta pick these apart, but holy shit the highlighted portions are too great to pass up. This is the hard hitting investigative reporting you want to pay for. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Ryan Brauninger

TexAgs' recruiting analyst Ryan Brauninger joined TexAgs Live on Wednesday morning for another edition of Recruiting Country, highlighting the latest news and notes from the recruiting trail surrounding Texas A&M.

You wonder going into football season, A&M has this amount of commitments, and here's the group of players that they are after. You're talking about a Tobi Haastrup‍ or Lamont Rogers‍. The receivers they've been after Daylan McCutcheon‍ and Malik Clark‍. Clark is the outlier. The pool of players they're going after is not vast and expansive. It is really just the same names. A&M has not cast a wide net. We're halfway through the season now. By this point, the Hudl tapes have made the rounds. Anybody who's had really good seasons has been scouted. You have to wonder: A&M must feel good about its recruits because they don't feel the need to stretch themselves right now.

What we also do not know is how much each year they will allot to the portal. Even though this is their first recruiting class, they were behind in the class of 2025 in terms of relationships and getting to know the important decision-makers. 

I think we'll see in the class of 2026 a really clear picture of how they want to operate going forward. For the class of 2025, I think they're really comfortable with how its looking. Right now, it looks like the plan is to hold firm with what they've got, be really focused on the targetted players, and look to get the rest of them from the portal. They really need a running back. This makes me feel like they're allocating this spot for a transfer from the portal. Deondrae Riden‍ had a great weekend, and I think they're excited to have him as their high school running back. Le'Veon Moss is looking like he is going to the NFL, so it looks like they're going to need another running back.

I think they would like to find a tight end who they feel confident in as an in-line blocker and also can function in the passing game. Nick Townsend‍ is an outlier there because he's a freak show of an athlete. Maybe, they're looking for more of a Max Wright type of body style. You can go position by position, and I don't think they're going to take a body to take a body. It doesn't seem like they're going to expand the player pool just because they need more bodies. There is a kid out of Austin Anderson High School named Ed Small‍. He was once committed to Texas to play baseball, but now he's going the football route, and his stock keeps going up and up. He's now committed to TCU, but I love his game.

We don't know how Mike Elko really wants to operate. With the way that player movement happens now, I think that being rigid in the way that you approach recruiting is even more faulty than it ever has been. Just saying every year that you want to take X amount of kids from highschool and X amount from the portal, you really don't know how the portal is going to look by the year. Being rigid like that is pretty shortsighted, and I don't think the coaching staff is going to think like that.

Texas is really trying to be a thorn in their side as much as they can with Kelshaun Johnson‍. Chace Sims‍ looks locked in, but Texas is definitely going to try to get him to campus. Oregon hasn't gone anywhere with these West Coast kids. USC and Husan Longstreet‍ have been a big talking point, but I haven't heard anything about that. It was all speculation. I think we have not said the coaching staff has not been doing a great job because the closest thing to a flip was with Chace Sims, where they nipped it in the bud and got him on campus the next week.

Tiger Riden has always had that sort of volume in his game. He was due for a game like that since he is so talented and plays for a great team. You're going to see their star players come to the forefront in the district-run and even in the playoffs.

I think Helaman Casuga‍ moving his commitment date has more to do with him making sure all his family can be there. I don't think it is too much to read into as far as where A&M stands. Anything can happen, but we feel pretty good about where A&M sits. He seems like he'll end up wherever he commits because of the kid that he is. Our limited interactions with him and his family have been super. It seems like he checks a lot of the culture boxes that Mike Elko is looking for, especially in a signal caller and a leader. 

We are going to get a much clearer picture with this 2026 class of how they want to run a recruiting class from start to finish. They were behind when they came in for the class of 2025.

If you believe that this is going to be Mike Elko's most talented football team, then you can't come in behind that and say he struggles as a recruiter. Let me go through the names of the players that Mike Elko recruited that are playing on Saturday: Cyrus Allen, Terry Bussey, Jabre Barber, Tre Watson, Shane Calhoun, EJ Smith, Ar'maj Reed-Adams, Koli Faaiu. All those guys are playing, and some of them are playing a bunch. If this offense is going to take a jump, it is going to be those guys.

The last names on my list are Shemar Turner, Bryce Anderson and Tyreek Chappell. Elko played a massive role in recruiting all those guys as they were coming out of high school as well. If you say that this is a super-talented team, then you better give props to the head man for being a recruiter.

Jalen Milroe would have come here without question. Jimbo Fisher & Co. chose Eli Stowers over him. They had them in back-to-back days at camp. Milroe has gotten better and better, and he's turned himself into potentially a Heisman trophy winner and first-round pick. 

Anthony Evans III, the wide receiver from Converse-Judson. The Aggies never really got into his recruitment and he went to Georgia. Now he is returning punts and kickoffs for them. 

Julian Humphrey is a cornerback for Georgia. He is from Clear Lake High School, and A&M never pursued him out of high school. He was good enough to go to Georgia and start. 

It is always funny to track the kids that A&M did not pursue from the state of Texas that go to these big programs in the SEC or nationally. I am not talking about kids like Donovan Jackson who A&M really wanted. I am talking about the kids that A&M did not push for who went to schools like Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss or LSU. I wonder if this new staff will take that into account and be more aggressive in pursuing Texas kids that they may be fringe on to prevent them from going to another school and playing against him.

You have to trust your own evaluations, but if another school is pursuing someone hard, then you may need to give them another look. A program that makes everyone in Texas give a kid another look when they offer is Utah. They have a reputation for scouting the state and offering kids, and then a lot of folks go back and reevaluate

God, I love whole "Isn't it funny the kids that a&m never recruited from Texas" section of bullshit. It's totally beucase of the different scouting angle, and not because some kids just told A&M to pound fucking sand, and then when they were done go pound some more fucking sand right from jump street. Nooooooooooooooooo. It was just that A&M never had any interest in *checks notes* Top 250 player Anthony Evans and Top 100 player Julian Humphrey, both who ended up at completely unremarkable school that isn't an NFL factory *checks notes again* ...Georiga. I'm generoulsy willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on Dillon Bell. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2

@Gordon Shumway caught some good ones out of this jibberish. It reads like somebody is eating his brain as he sits at his keyboard.

He really should have run this by Olin first. image.png.d1df5c7d2d92ebd26832f8a3d6bca023.png

image.png.a6917f6d56b7802a3cbfdc07fa6ba17f.png

Opening sentence: three random clauses. It's a shame he didn't put the last line next.

1 Outlier? From what? 

2 Those words mean the same thing.

image.png.c46b7542e0b80d8ff37ceb6987ba75d0.png

spacer.png

You want insight? Dreamy, muscular Brauny is Johnny on the Steroid:

image.png.ba0ce3262f8ce9bc0aac776bf9848f00.png

To add to Gordon's observation:

image.png.7f03e1249e9aed20900e5d2330818cb5.png

1 Are the people eating your brain discussing Aggie football or are these voices you've heard in your head prior to being dinner?

2 People are saying this is [Present Tense]

3 Projection about not knowing anything?

4. This will be [Future Tense] Brauny invents a quote to refute then forgets what the quote is. The "folks" didn't say "will be." They (real or not) are saying this is Elko's most talented team which seems supportable considering this is, what?, his third year as a head coach?

image.png.2241591a1960b3c0307e95c706b49687.png

Who is doing this, Brauny? Where are the voices coming from? Inside the house?

What follows is a lengthy list of names to prove the person he's invented is wrong. 

Lastly, Mister Brauny Inside Scoop. From just the second and third paragraphs:

image.png.d72bb53d32e30a870efab3153c44d8e9.png image.png.80208eb5168a7c606bca7ce97d8d113a.png  image.png.9fb2ac4a18d444675707041824dee4c5.png  image.png.707163494b55cfe65528b9f394ed2737.png image.png.14719de584907657c73c05ada2a72571.png image.png.b7a8249f4073ba41a0cb3e3df6a67c9c.png image.png.745a95d3c4a5329e699c6c4404665ae3.png image.png.cda7d8720164f98aaedfdb6654d8b942.png image.png.c2625ba3565f76c6627b3358fda13a45.png

I was thinking I'd do the whole article, but man! Anyone could have written this article...better.

I think Olin may be their star scribe.

image.png.d1df5c7d2d92ebd26832f8a3d6bca023.png

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

@Gordon Shumway caught some good ones out of this jibberish. It reads like somebody is eating his brain as he sits at his keyboard.

He really should have run this by Olin first. image.png.d1df5c7d2d92ebd26832f8a3d6bca023.png

Opening sentence: three random clauses. It's a shame he didn't put the last line next.

1 Outlier? From what? 

spacer.png

1 Are the people eating your brain discussing Aggie football or are these voices you've heard in your head prior to being dinner?

4. This will be [Future Tense] Brauny invents a quote to refute then forgets what the quote is. The "folks" didn't say "will be." They (real or not) are saying this is Elko's most talented team which seems supportable considering this is, what?, his third year as a head coach?

What follows is a lengthy list of names to prove the person he's invented is wrong. 

image.png.d72bb53d32e30a870efab3153c44d8e9.png image.png.80208eb5168a7c606bca7ce97d8d113a.png  image.png.9fb2ac4a18d444675707041824dee4c5.png  image.png.707163494b55cfe65528b9f394ed2737.png image.png.14719de584907657c73c05ada2a72571.png image.png.b7a8249f4073ba41a0cb3e3df6a67c9c.png image.png.745a95d3c4a5329e699c6c4404665ae3.png image.png.cda7d8720164f98aaedfdb6654d8b942.png image.png.c2625ba3565f76c6627b3358fda13a45.png

I was thinking I'd do the whole article, but man! Anyone could have written this article...better. I think Olin may be their star writer.

You with an Aggie 9.95er article is just like when Mozart sits down to paint. 

All aggie jokes aside, i couldn't imagine turning that article over to my boss or editor and say "this is perfect, its ready to print."  It is in all honesty an incoherent mess that says nothing.  No way in hell he should be proud of that work product. 

Also, I couldnt even imagine turning this over to an editor 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

1 Outlier? From what? 

spacer.png

I was thinking I'd do the whole article, but man! Anyone could have written this article...better. I think Olin may be their star writer.

IMG_0036.gif

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Ryan Brauninger

Put the Milroe paragraph on the wall! 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

What is this Mike Elko’s most talented team shit? This is his third year as a head coach. This Aggie team is more talented than the two years he coached fucking Duke? I would hope so.  Am I missing something?

You are missing something. 

Aggie logic defies all known facts known to mankind. 

On 9/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, closetojumping said:

Ahead of the dawn of NIL, we all debated what it could all mean, and many argued various points about the presence of the bag game in that future era.

-Some proclaimed that NIL wouldn’t matter and that the bag game would rage on.

-Others said the bag game would disappear forever. 

-Some of us discussed how dark markets function even when an open market is also present. 

The latter is what has unfolded. Just like bootlegging moonshine still exists as a thing, the bag game is still around for purpose with those willing to be involved. It’s not prominent, but it can make an appearance if a player or family is connected to someone willing to take a bag in lieu of the right long term answer for the player. This could be a street agent or a trainer or, kind of unbelievably, a high school coach. 

Many times in the past few years, the stickiness of that character in a recruitment has been melted away if the family can get back to a campus where the coaches can get real about the earning power through NIL and the player’s rights. 

All the sims stuff and all the confidence with Rogers brought me back to this post. Seems like they’re dropping bags and calling it NIL, still. Old habits die hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TXRed said:

All the sims stuff and all the confidence with Rogers brought me back to this post. Seems like they’re dropping bags and calling it NIL, still. Old habits die hard. 

Yep. They’ve connected to a few recruit camps in which people around the recruit need that money right now. Future gains be damned. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not sure where to put this, but I think I might get some responses here. On TexAgs, they linked to Coaches [sic] Caviar for an interesting breakdown of film from their game. Here it is:

LonghornScott used to do these for Texas games and they were great. i don't really see much detail while watching a game. This is pretty good for people like me.

A&M's OL is pushing Missouri off the ball regularly and executing their blocking assignments quite well. I'm fairly certain that this says as much about Mizzou's weakness as it does about the Aggies' strength. Mizzou looks small and lackadaisical in reaction. 

The narrator admires Klein's scheming very much. I can just see everything is working.

I'd like to hear more learned opinions.

22 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Yep. They’ve connected to a few recruit camps in which people around the recruit need that money right now. Future gains be damned. 

The issue is what happens after year 1.  (Or, hell, the end of the spring window.)

We've already seen the exodus from College Station for their bag game recruits.  Why would any recruit stay?  Take the bag.  Sign.  Then transfer to somewhere that actually has NIL.

7 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

The issue is what happens after year 1.  (Or, hell, the end of the spring window.)

We've already seen the exodus from College Station for their bag game recruits.  Why would any recruit stay?  Take the bag.  Sign.  Then transfer to somewhere that actually has NIL.

I think you're one of the lawyers here, but if not, someone else will chime in on this - the contracts drag out for many months, up to a year, and that's what happens elsewhere including Texas. That said, they allegedly have some really draconian components to theirs that may not even be enforceable? But whatever it is, aggies think they've created some ways to hold money back when they feel like it with NIL. 

I'll have to really grill a friend on what the hell happened truly with Sims. It's bizarre and almost seems to be coming from the UT end. The $9.95ers won't even discuss the guy now.

To be clear, there aren't any gotchas in the Texas NIL docs. Player shows up, handles their appearances in a timely manner, etc., they're getting their NIL irrespective of on-field results through the term of the agreement.

• Hook 'Em 2

45 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Not sure where to put this, but I think I might get some responses here. On TexAgs, they linked to Coaches [sic] Caviar for an interesting breakdown of film from their game. Here it is:

LonghornScott used to do these for Texas games and they were great. i don't really see much detail while watching a game. This is pretty good for people like me.

A&M's OL is pushing Missouri off the ball regularly and executing their blocking assignments quite well. I'm fairly certain that this says as much about Mizzou's weakness as it does about the Aggies' strength. Mizzou looks small and lackadaisical in reaction. 

The narrator admires Klein's scheming very much. I can just see everything is working.

I'd like to hear more learned opinions.

The thing that really jumps out to me on the offensive side is how small and terrible at anchoring the Mizzou defensive line is. The were playing with their shoulders parallel to the LOS all day, and it looked like they were giving away 20+ pounds per player. This is not a good defense at all. They were getting punked on downfield blocking, they couldn't tackle in the open field, and they really didn't have much speed to speak of. A&M looked very good, but this defense felt like something you might see out of a Sunbelt team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The thing that really jumps out to me on the offensive side is how small and terrible at anchoring the Mizzou defensive line is. The were playing with their shoulders parallel to the LOS all day, and it looked like they were giving away 20+ pounds per player. This is not a good defense at all. They were getting punked on downfield blocking, they couldn't tackle in the open field, and they really didn't have much speed to speak of. A&M looked very good, but this defense felt like something you might see out of a Sunbelt team. 

Small, poor technique, slow, and poor tacklers. What could go wrong?

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I think you're one of the lawyers here, but if not, someone else will chime in on this - the contracts drag out for many months, up to a year, and that's what happens elsewhere including Texas. That said, they allegedly have some really draconian components to theirs that may not even be enforceable? But whatever it is, aggies think they've created some ways to hold money back when they feel like it with NIL. 

I'll have to really grill a friend on what the hell happened truly with Sims. It's bizarre and almost seems to be coming from the UT end. The $9.95ers won't even discuss the guy now.

To be clear, there aren't any gotchas in the Texas NIL docs. Player shows up, handles their appearances in a timely manner, etc., they're getting their NIL irrespective of on-field results through the term of the agreement.

I am a lawyer.  But I was talking about attempts to use the bag game to still get recruits to sign; that's obviously still an illegal contract that has no force or effect.  So if the speculation that Sims decided to take a bag and sign, instead of considering future NIL $$$, I struggle to see how the bag game keeps anyone at a school given current free agency around the CFB landscape.

Re: draconian NIL provisions--are y'all putting arbitration provisions in the NIL contracts? That's almost certainly enforceable and not, generally, draconian.  But I'd think that would help keep a lid on public issues to a certain extent.

Surprised it has taken him this long to produce the sunshine article 

By Billy Liucci
October 7, 2024

Texas A&M opened the season with a golden opportunity to make a statement in game one of the Mike Elko era. When Notre Dame walked off of Kyle Field the winner after four tough quarters, a large group of frustrated Aggie fans — and most of college football media — immediately wrote off the Aggies in 2024. After just a single game, the general consensus was that A&M would scrap through a “rebuilding” season while Elko established his culture and eventually flipped the roster.

It took Elko and the Aggies all of five weeks to flip what was a ridiculously premature narrative (even at the time) on its head.

Following the 23-13 loss to the Fighting Irish, it was evident that the Maroon & White needed to make significant and immediate strides on both sides of the ball. If not, forget about down the road showdowns later this fall, A&M getting out of September sans another blemish would have been unlikely. A road trip to “The Swamp” to take on a desperate Florida team followed by a senior-laden MAC contender and then the annual circus vs. Arkansas in Arlington. Mix in the fact that Conner Weigman suffered an injury in the season-opening loss that eventually sidelined him for three games, and it's almost understandable that many without any inside knowledge of Elko, his staff or team would write off the Aggies' chances and shift their focus elsewhere.

However, a funny thing happened on the way from Notre Dame to a bye week that rests squarely at the season's midway point. The Aggies quietly came together and got better. Marcel Reed played like a seasoned veteran during his first career start in Gainesville, and a team determined to end a two-plus year road losing streak managed to put Florida and the 90,000 Gator fans in attendance away early. A week later, the Aggies appeared to lose some focus but didn't flinch when staring down what would have been a season-derailing upset, winning the fourth quarter and disposing of Bowling Green. At Jerry World, the Aggies again rose up when the game was on the line, thanks to Le'Veon Moss running hog wild and Jay Bateman's defense smothering Bobby Petrino's Arkansas offense down the stretch.

September lessons were learned, and as is always the deciding factor in year one of a head coach's tenure, the A&M players remained engaged and were receptive to Elko's messaging. When the Aggies went on the road and raced out to a 20-0 halftime lead at “The Swamp,” it became very clear that the culture was quickly changing in College Station. The next step, of course, was winning the fourth quarter and closing out tough games. That happened in back-to-back weeks — and against two very different foes — against Bowling Green and Arkansas.

The September wins were a great indicator of things like improvement and buy-in. The Aggies began making more big plays than allowing them, the run game showed marked week-to-week improvement, they began protecting the football and began regularly producing momentum- and game-changing plays on defense. The result? College football's only ranked matchup of the weekend, with 4-0 and No. 9 Missouri taking on No. 25 and 4-1 Texas A&M in front of the 12th Man.

It goes without saying that Elko and the Aggies took full advantage of the chance to force their way back into the SEC and national conversation, taking Missouri to the woodshed and handing the Tigers the kind of beating that led to A&M making an eye-catching 10-spot rise in the polls.

An earlier-than-expected shot at redemption for the Aggies, as A&M got a second shot at a top-25 showdown against a top-10 opponent at home before mid-season.

It goes without saying that Elko and the Aggies took full advantage of the chance to force their way back into the SEC and national conversation, taking Missouri to the woodshed and handing the Tigers the kind of beating that led to A&M making an eye-catching 10-spot rise in the polls. The newly-ranked No. 15 Aggies drove 60 yards on eight plays into the end zone on their first possession and had Mizzou in a seemingly insurmountable 24-0 hole at halftime. When Moss took a handoff on the first play of the third quarter, saw a gaping hole and sprinted 75 yards to paydirt, the Ags led a top-10 opponent 31-0, and it sure looked like Eli Drinkwitz's Tigers couldn't get on the plane to Columbia fast enough.

For four quarters during a 41-10 trouncing of the Tigers, the Aggies played like a team capable of beating anyone on the remaining schedule. Weigman (yes, the lede has been buried here, but we'll get to #15 in a moment) was absolutely dealing, and the passing game clicked like we haven't seen all season, with his targets catching everything thrown their way. With a physical offensive line paving the way, the running game once again carved up an SEC defense as Moss rumbled his way to 138 yards and three touchdowns on just 12 carries. Defensively, the Aggies held a Mizzou offense loaded with skilled playmakers to a single touchdown and barely 250 total yards.

A five-game winning streak, the Aggies' first 3-0 SEC record since 2016 (their second since joining the league) and a top-15 ranking had the national college football voices singing a very different tune about Texas A&M football by Saturday afternoon, as top-10 teams around the country continued dropping like flies. And while field stormings and goalpost takedowns in Nashville and Fayetteville ultimately stole the weekend headlines (deservedly so), the Aggies beating the hell out of Missouri was the top-10 “upset” that didn't feel like one. The Aggies looked like a top-10 outfit on Saturday, while Missouri looked like a fringe top-25 squad. Seemingly out of nowhere, A&M looked elite in all three phases of the game.

The ease with which the Ags disposed of a Missouri team that came in 15-2 since the start of last season — combined with what took place around the SEC and college football — changed a lot of opinions when it comes to A&M's potential in year one of the Elko Era. Four top-10 teams went down on Saturday, and five of the top-11. Four of those five losses came to previously unranked opponents, and a fifth top-10 upset was narrowly averted because Mario Christobal's Miami Hurricanes appear to have cut a backroom deal with ACC officials.

If college football as a whole has been a six-week thrill ride thus far, what's happening in the SEC would qualify as a three-ring circus. In the last two Saturdays alone, A&M beating Missouri by 31 points hardly registers on the insanity meter. Kentucky stormed into Oxford and beat then-No. 6 Ole Miss on the same day Alabama raced out to a 30-7 lead, fell behind and then knocked off Georgia in one of the wildest games you'll ever see. Fast forward to two days ago, and the same Arkansas team the Aggies just beat held Tennessee's high-flying offense to just 14 points, and the Hogs — with a backup quarterback, no less — knocked the No. 4 Vols from the ranks of the unbeaten. And then there's Vanderbilt. Without wasting too much energy trying to describe the magnitude of perhaps the most stunning upset in recent college football history, the ripple effect the shocking result in Music City will likely have on the SEC title race could rival the waves a certain set of goalposts made in the Cumberland River on Saturday night.

In four thoroughly impressive quarters, the Aggies went from Southeastern Conference also-rans to joining the likes of Texas, Georgia, Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss and perhaps even LSU as candidates to reach Atlanta. The same applies to the 12-team playoff discussion. And as folks begin to really dig into the Aggies' remaining schedule this week and during the upcoming bye, the chatter surrounding Elko and the Aggies is only going to get louder.

Make no mistake: This is exactly why I said following the Notre Dame loss that the Aggies could play their way into another very meaningful tilt vs. a top-10 foe at Kyle Field. It's also why, leading up to Saturday's kickoff, the thought of what things would look like if A&M outlasted Missouri was tough to ignore … and that was if the Aggies managed to win close. By looking so dominant en route to a five-score win, the Aggies are now the latest en-vogue pick to reach the expanded CFP, to the point that even those who rarely give credit to anything Maroon & White-related are taking notice, including none other than Joel Klatt, who said on Monday: "Wrap your mind around this … Aggie football has a good shot at the CFP … in fact I would put money on it right now."

Again, this is all highly complimentary stuff, and it's a combination of how good A&M looked on Saturday, a suddenly wide-open SEC race and the remaining schedule. It also has to do with folks now realizing the Aggies played a more challenging first-half schedule than many realized. Graham Mertz has Florida playing better ball as of late, and the underdog Gators just handled UCF fairly easily. Arkansas did to Josh Heupel's Vols what they couldn't do to the Aggies, and the Hogs now sit at 4-2. Notre Dame is back in the top 10 and will likely be favored in every game from here on out, while Missouri is still in the top 25 and sitting at 4-1 with a realistic shot at 10 wins.

While all of the positive attention makes sense, and there's no reason the Aggies shouldn't enjoy the sudden spotlight (so should all of you as fans), it's also a good time to point out that the “A&M and Texas could meet at Kyle Field on Nov. 30 and again a week later in Atlanta” chatter is fun and somehow at this point not even fantasy. The Aggies' remaining schedule is still full of potential landmines. While outside entities will tell you A&M will cruise towards resuming the rivalry, one look at the schedule would tell anyone who knows anything about the Southeastern Conference that the Aggies' path to carrying a 7-0 or even 6-1 record entering the regular-season finale will be daunting. No matter what the current records say, road trips to Starkville, South Carolina and Jordan-Hare are tough, tough games to win. The Aggies' history against Mississippi State has been spotty at best, and coming off of a big win followed by an off-week, that one has a trap game written all over it. Shane Beamer's Gamecocks have a bye week before hosting the Aggies for Homecoming in Columbia, but they're coming off of a beatdown at the hands of Ole Miss and have Alabama followed by a road trip to Norman before facing A&M. While Auburn appears to be spiraling on the surface, War Eagle was very close to running Oklahoma out of the stadium a week ago and hung tough with Georgia for much of the game on Saturday. And we know what kind of talent the Tiger roster features. Oh, and there's also this pesky little home game against a team in Purple and Gold from Baton Rouge. LSU is quietly sitting at 4-1 overall and inside the top 15. Regardless of what happens against Ole Miss at Death Valley on Saturday, the matchup between the Aggies and Bayou Bengals promises to be a four-quarter war at Kyle Field.

That's the cautious look at the Aggies' second-half schedule. There's also a reality that what Elko's squad put on display against Missouri is what the current ceiling looks like. The team we saw on Saturday would be a real problem for anyone in the country, including the teams currently residing inside the top five. While the Aggies have a challenging road ahead, the likes of Jeff Lebby, Brian Kelly, Beamer and Hugh Freeze all know they're likely to have real problems with A&M if this team continues to improve at its current rate.

The reality is that while the Aggies won't be able to sustain that level of across-the-board excellence each and every Saturday from here on out, this team has only scratched the surface when it comes to how good it can be.

Perhaps the biggest reason the Aggies began to unlock their full potential against Mizzou is none other than Weigman. Throughout the offseason, I tried to convey what NFL scouts and the national media believed Elko and Collin Klein had at the quarterback position in #15, and I fully expected the junior to emerge as one of the SEC's breakout performers. Then, Weigman played his worst game as an Aggie in the season opener — clearly not himself in his first game of action in nearly a year — and everyone seemed to forget the talent he flashed when healthy. While Reed did what can only be described as a sensational job stepping in as a completely inexperienced backup, leading the Ags to a perfect 3-0 mark, Elko made the choice to go back to the dude who earned the QB1 role based on his performance throughout the offseason. It was a gutsy call by the first-year head coach, but the reality is that Weigman's experience and NFL-caliber passing talent open up everything for Klein's offense.

On Saturday, Weigman got rid of the ball quickly and in rhythm, hit deep shots down the field and kept a couple of key drives alive with his legs when needed. He also played with a lot more confidence and emotion than he showed against Notre Dame, looking much more like the fiery field general everyone expected to see entering the season. He connected on 18-of-22 passes for 276 yards, and his pinpoint passing led directly to the Aggie pass-catching corps enjoying their best game of the season by a longshot, with a suddenly-hot Noah Thomas, Terry Bussey and Jahdae Walker making big plays. As expected, backing Missouri off by throwing them out of heavy boxes led directly to things opening up in a big way for what was already a deadly effective ground game. Moss now leads the SEC in rushing following the best outing of his career, and #8 has run for 228 yards on just 18 carries in the Aggies' last five quarters of action.

The Aggies have been good on defense from game one, but the unit has really turned it on the last two Saturdays. With Nic Scourton playing like an All-American (3.5 sacks and 5.5 TFLs in the last two games) and the defensive line looking very much like the best in the country, A&M demolished the blocking plans of both Arkansas and Missouri. In three SEC games, the Ags have amassed 11 sacks and 23 backfield stops while giving up an average of just 116 yards per game on the ground. A deep, athletic and talented back seven is flying around and getting hands on a lot of passes, a combination that has led to the Ags forcing six turnovers in three conference tilts. With so much new talent playing in a new scheme, Elko and Batemen know that there's still plenty of room for improvement for a unit that has a chance to be as good as any in the league.

While the Aggies obviously put it all together against the Tigers, there's still a lot of room for this newly-minted contender to improve, which is perhaps more exciting than anything we saw from the home team during a 31-point rout (the second time A&M has dismantled an SEC opponent in three tries this fall). What the Ags can't do is lose focus, a point Elko is certain to hammer home throughout the bye and into next week's Mississippi State prep. The Aggies fought their way back, and the fight only gets tougher in order for this team to stay in power in the SEC and playoff races.

Entering Saturday's second shot at a top-10 team, Missouri's head coach, players and even the Tigers media decided it would be wise to talk an awful lot of trash. Drinkwitz was yapping about Elko's quarterback business, Brady Cook called out the 12th Man, and Theo Wease Jr. arrived at Kyle Field wearing a blanket supposedly gifted by Will “The Blanket” Lee III.

But it was a simple post by the Tiger account on X that looked the most foolish by sometime around the second quarter on Saturday.

"Time to make a statement." 

Elko and the Aggies were not amused, and a motivated bunch in Maroon & White did just that.

Statement made

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

image.png.3649fe9d39eb4974ca15ec53f4e93b44.png

I think the general consensus was that Notre Dame was overrated because they struggled against a barely ranked team that never wins anything. Nobody gave a shit about the Aggie future this season. They were living down to expectations.

image.png.8af47bd3b0c8a4fe2fadf1eb0986c8a8.png

In other words, three shitty teams.

image.png.5126fa414ed9a545c29b87525569b6d4.png

They're doing push-ups, watching film, going to practice, and whipping the likes of desperate Florida and a shitload of seniors playing for Bowling Green! Culture! And the messaging! Don't forget the messaging! William is en fuego, cabrones!

image.png.477d9ee3f042b56921123de1d37e6427.png

Gameday was there! All of the college football world was fascinated and on edge. Would a team a cunt hair from being among the ARV (did no one recognize that the Aggies had beaten a team with lots of seniors from the MAC?) and a Missouri team nobody cares any more about than they do the Aggies: a match up made for football lovers!

image.png.f5674ea778c8881d202b4554ceed7d5f.png

1 Don't let that stop you, William.

2 All anyone could talk about after Saturday was A&M thrashing Missouri. Were there any other games that day?

3 The world was rapt.

4 They were newly ranked after the game not before it William. You really ought to let your mom proof this stuff.

image.png.f9ac1bee61812200e867b7316ef05607.png

1 That sounds so much better than 15th ranked. Slick William. Also, again, the Aggies weren't raised to that lofty position until the next day.

2 The Mormon National College Football Voices Choir was in great form that Saturday. 

3 Take some breaths, William. Tell us again about the Bowling Green seniors!

image.png.8f4c378db5b100b4fa9d88185b93a5dc.png

The Gators are so good now that it was an upset that they beat UCF!

Notre Dame, whom y'all despise as criminally overrated, has leapt back into the top ten despite losing to NIU! (I guess opinions have risen about ND's early games, too.)

Missouri's drop to #21 means they're still pretty dang great! It certainly isn't a reflection of how badly they are judged for getting beat by you.

As for the rest, you win, William. I can't get through the whole article. Scratching surfaces, repeating the Missouri score, beating your chest about what you've "been saying all along," it's just too much. Have a nice night, and why don't you make breakfast for your mom for a change? She'll think it's Mother's Day.

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 4

I think we have some folks in our fanbase that got caught up in last week’s malaise as well. Sure, aggy played a good game, but take out several super questionable calls in the first quarter/half and maybe mizzou doesn’t just quit.  

Let that coaster keep click-clacking on up. Whether it’s us or an unexpected team along the way (looking at you, LSU) I think we’ve all seen enough to know they aren’t going unscathed in conference play. 

Anyway, none of the top teams that lost last week have looked as good as we have thus far. I highly doubt they would be saying the same dumb shit if our name were Ohio St instead of TEXAS.

• Hook 'Em 6

9 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I highly doubt they would be saying the same dumb shit if our name were Ohio St instead of TEXAS.

If our name was Alabama, they'd be giving us a reach around while their tongue was in our ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Etexhorn13 said:

I think we have some folks in our fanbase that got caught up in last week’s malaise as well. Sure, aggy played a good game, but take out several super questionable calls in the first quarter/half and maybe mizzou doesn’t just quit.  

Let that coaster keep click-clacking on up. Whether it’s us or an unexpected team along the way (looking at you, LSU) I think we’ve all seen enough to know they aren’t going unscathed in conference play. 

Anyway, none of the top teams that lost last week have looked as good as we have thus far. I highly doubt they would be saying the same dumb shit if our name were Ohio St instead of TEXAS.

The calls didn't help, but Missouri is not a top 25 team. Their games agaisnt Boston College and Vanderbilt were foreshadowing their coming decline. They could easily lose 2-3 more games this season.

No they aren't, but they also scored a td on their first play from scrimmage that was called back and basically every good play they had after that for the first quarter.  Refs also missed an obvious holding call on an atm wr on a drive they scored on.  The game probably isn't a blowout without the zebras making their presence felt.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 4