Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

2 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

He sounds like a guy who cooks muffins for his wife after getting pegged

He's a bad mamma jamma. From Nigeria. This is his first year to play football and he's the reason Mayde Creek is pretty decent this year. 6'4", 238 .lbs, ran a 10.71 hundred meters, a 21.7 200 meters and shot putted 52 feet.

https://defendernetwork.com/sports/high-school/tobi-haastrup-breakout-season/

Website-Image-Dimensions-21.thumb.webp.ca09d0bc3fd44412dc813e32020744c5.webp

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

That's a fast ass mofo for his size. Like, freakishly fast. 

He had no scholarship offers before the season and now has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Florida State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, A&M etc ...

Per the article, he tries to pattern his game after Collin Simmons. 

Interesting recruit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He had no scholarship offers before the season and now has offers from LSU, Ole Miss, Florida State, Tennessee, Texas Tech, A&M etc ...

Interesting recruit.

Yes please.

That is some insane ball get off if he's running a 10.71 at roughly 240 lbs.

I think that he could have a future playin' ball. Whether it is at TE, EDGE, or even coin flip.

Damn it! Just scrolled back up and saw that he is going to fall into Elko's fat lap.

We have two EDGEs already and will likely pick up that 3rd one from Florida. Too late to get in on this guy, but he seems like he is going to be insane no matter how shitty A&M's coaches are.

And I think that College Station technically has a math department, so that will fit his interest. No question that UT would be the best fit for him. Too bad he isn't a class of 2026 kid. I'm annoyed.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Damn it! Just scrolled back up and saw that he is going to fall into Elko's fat lap.

We have two EDGEs already and will likely pick up that 3rd one from Florida. Too late to get in on this guy, but he seems like he is going to be insane no matter how shitty A&M's coaches are.

And I think that College Station technically has a math department, so that will fit his interest. No question that UT would be the best fit for him. Too bad he isn't a class of 2026 kid. I'm annoyed.

It sounds like you're worried about the numbers.

• Haha 1
  • Drool 1

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Why would it be too late to get in on this guy? He hasn't even taken a visit anywhere yet.

14 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

Just dropping in to remind you idiots that every staff in the country would take Jackson, Orogbo, and Hilson individually over a development project

Yeah, but the guy is about 250lbs, so with the right build and attitude, would you consider him over Machu Picchu (Mbatchou)?

• Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Haastrup's an EDGE and Mbatchou's an interior DL.

For now. He was originally listed as 6'2" 215lbs it looks like and is now listed as 6'4" 245lbs. Assuming that he is getting larger as opposed to bullshitting the stats (which is a big assumption if he hasn't attended camps), 6'4" 270lbs as a true freshman isn't out of the question - now I don't know what his build looks like or if he has the tenacity to play inside but it seems to me to be at least a possibility.

3 minutes ago, Bevo said:

For now. He was originally listed as 6'2" 215lbs it looks like and is now listed as 6'4" 245lbs. Assuming that he is getting larger as opposed to bullshitting the stats (which is a big assumption if he hasn't attended camps), 6'4" 270lbs as a true freshman isn't out of the question - now I don't know what his build looks like or if he has the tenacity to play inside but it seems to me to be at least a possibility.

Haastrup is listed at 235. Mbatchou is listed at 280. Right now. Not the same physical profile. Not the same position. Apples. Oranges.

14 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Interesting recruit.

I'll take 2 and 1 to go 

On 10/8/2024 at 7:09 PM, Longhornfrenzy said:

Again, this is all highly complimentary stuff, and it's a combination of how good A&M looked on Saturday, a suddenly wide-open SEC race and the remaining schedule. It also has to do with folks now realizing the Aggies played a more challenging first-half schedule than many realized. Graham Mertz has Florida playing better ball as of late, and the underdog Gators just handled UCF fairly easily.

The Gators have improved, making Aggy beating them earlier in the season more impressive. Whoop!

Yet Alabama improving last year just meant Texas got lucky to play them early.

🤔 

• Haha 3

On 10/10/2024 at 6:36 AM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Interesting recruit.

This kid has exploded and he clearly has ridiculous athletic ability.  10.71 at that size? 

But, in the era of NIL and transfers projects are such a risk. You’re committing to likely not getting any production for the first year and then another round of shopping yourself after a year in a college s&c and development program. I think he will be a hell of a player somewhere. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This kid has exploded and he clearly has ridiculous athletic ability.  10.71 at that size? 

But, in the era of NIL and transfers projects are such a risk. You’re committing to likely not getting any production for the first year and then another round of shopping yourself after a year in a college s&c and development program. I think he will be a hell of a player somewhere. 

I think it depends on the position.....project receivers are definitely not worth the risk. A project DT or edge, is a risk you take.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Or he could be Tyler Owens and be very fast for his size but never figure out how to be a good football player. 

Plenty of Tarzan-looking, Jane-playing guys through any blueblood’s history. Maybe this guy is the truth, maybe not. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, nnm said:

Plenty of Tarzan-looking, Jane-playing guys through any blueblood’s history. Maybe this guy is the truth, maybe not. 

Sure, although this kid had 9 sacks and 8 TFLs in 3 games playing in GHA 6a ball. First year playing football.  I can’t find the very latest, but that’s blue chip worthy when combined with measurables. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He was also a massive five star bust. Quick, name your favorite Tyler Owens play from college ...

Probably the play before the play where he turned a duck 50-50 ball from Max Duggan into a 0-100 ball that sealed the game.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

He was also a massive five star bust. Quick, name your favorite Tyler Owens play from college ...

Tyler Owens was not a 5-star, but even if what you said is true, that's not relevant to my comment, which was simply a statement of fact.

1 minute ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Tyler Owens was not a 5-star, but even if what you said is true, that's not relevant to my comment, which was simply a statement of fact.

247 had him as a five star, rated as the 24th best player in the country: https://247sports.com/player/tyler-owens-46049296/high-school-207543/

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

The one where he was running so fast he ran himself out of the play. 

Reminds me of Bum Phillips commentary on Lamar Lathon after the Oilers drafted him and Rich Lord was going on and on about how incredible it was that Lathon ran a 4.4 at the combine at his size.

Bum: "Yep, he runs to the wrong spot on the field faster than anyone I've seen"

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 8

7 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

He was a 5 star. So, incorrect there. 

What is not relevant to your comment? You were attempting to imply that Owens must actually have discovered something and be okay because he’s on an NFL roster and that chips away at the prior poster’s comparison. 

If you want to get pedantic on this it just insults the discussion. No one disputed your statement of fact, but I damn sure disputed the point you were trying to make. 

This new guy might be awesome or he might wind up a Tyler Owens. That was a fair point. Driving by and inserting that Owens is on an NFL roster after having a busted career in college. which is, you know, the concern of this board, isn’t actually relevant.

• Hook 'Em 1

Liucci 

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 16:56:05)

• I don't know what losing the first game has to do with the SEC since Notre Dame is not in it. You would not include Notre Dame when talking about an easy schedule, considering that they will probably be in the playoffs. I never once said that Texas A&M did not get a great schedule. I said Texas has an easy schedule by SEC standards. The league gifted them a great situation in years one and two.

• Oklahoma and Brent Venables will have difficulty recovering from their first two years in the league. I believe they will ultimately undergo a coaching change. A lot of that is because they let Dillon Gabriel go, and the schedule is nearly unmanageable. The same thing can be said for Billy Napier. Those two schedules will result in two firings. It is not a coincidence.

• A&M has an easy schedule by SEC standards, and so does Texas. Both can be true. So does Ole Miss, and they are struggling. South Carolina is a better team than their record says. People in Austin are crowing about a tough Kentucky team. Have you checked who beat Kentucky 31-6? South Carolina would have beaten LSU by two scores if LaNorris Sellers did not get hurt. They almost beat Alabama.

• Nothing is easy in the SEC. Texas is going to learn that. I don't think anyone out of Austin can say that A&M has the easiest schedule in the SEC. LSU is sitting in the top ten. Missouri is ranked. Notre Dame is knocking on the door of the top ten. The schedule makers did Texas and A&M a favor.

• The biggest difference between Texas' and A&M's schedules are the road games. Texas has to come to Kyle Field, and they have to go to Fayetteville. Arkansas is twice as good at home. Texas A&M has to go to South Carolina, Starkville, Auburn and "The Swamp." That is night and day different.

• I would enjoy a Big Ten-SEC non-conference challenge. Football fans would enjoy that. I am sure plenty of people disagree. Coaches in both leagues would say their schedules are tough enough. I am all for it. I am all for A&M-Oregon or Texas-Ohio State. Imagine Kalen DeBoer traveling back to Washington. Sign me up for all of those types of games. It would be better than bowl games now.

• It is like Texas fans going to Ann Arbor this year and Michigan fans going to Austin in 2027. A&M fans get to plan a trip to South Bend. The Irish were looking forward to this one.

• The coaches aren't going to like opening a season with a power conference opponent. If A&M played Wake Forest to begin the year, they would be 6-0 and possibly ranked in the top five. It is a guaranteed win at home. As a coach, you don't want to play more of those games. You don't need it in the SEC.

• In 12 years in the SEC, Texas A&M is about .500 against Mississippi State. We like to think that it is way lower than A&M's rightful place and that we should never lose to them. That is not true based on what Texas has been on the field. Do I want A&M to win 75 percent of them moving forward? Absolutely, because .500 is way too low. That is why you have had two coaches fired. Losses against Ole Miss and Mississippi State played very big roles in Kevin Sumlin and Jimbo Fisher not making it. These are pivotal games.

• It is no secret that A&M has had some costly losses to Mississippi State. The most costly one was when A&M went up there ranked No. 4. Trevor Knight got hurt, but they were getting outplayed to that point. There is no telling if A&M would have won that game with a healthy Knight. The offense was struggling mightily. Outside of that year, Mississippi State has been on a fairly even level as Texas A&M and winning at home.

• When Mississippi State beat an undefeated and top-10 A&M team, they were clearly the better team. They beat A&M, LSU, and Auburn all in a row. They ascended to No. 1.

• Starkville is a tough place to play. I think you better take this game very seriously. The two times Texas A&M went into Starkville and won are the two best years in the league. If you go in there and win, it is fair to start wondering if this could be one of those kind of seasons.

Segment 2 (16:56:06 - 23:56:13)

• Based on everything you just said about their history in Starkville, improvements from Mississippi State and what we've seen in the SEC this year, I would say signs that A&M has turned a corner would be winning the football game. If it's a 60-minute game that's close, I think they have just as much chance of coming back the next week and beating a top-10 LSU.

• I'm looking at Georgia now and saying, "What are they?" We're going to find out this weekend. Even if Georgia loses, it's a 60-minute game. They could still win out and be 10-2. If they're not very good, you have a Georgia team that doesn't make the playoffs. It's tough to judge everyone right now, and I think you need to judge based on wins and losses.

• If A&M beats Mississippi State handily, they will be 4-0 in the conference with a massive home game coming up. If they beat them comfortably, that will be three out of the four games in the SEC. Before people start talking, we don't know how good Missouri is, but they beat Vanderbilt, which is something that Kentucky and Alabama couldn't do.

• If they win the game against Mississippi State, it's good for the program. If they win comfortably, you have to start saying, "Is A&M playing as good of football as we're seeing in the SEC other than the school in Austin?" Texas has played no one. Is Michigan even ranked now? Oklahoma is unranked now. They have played no one. A&M has played Notre Dame and lost. They played Missouri and won, and I think Arkansas is better than people think.

Segment 3 (23:56:14 - 31:30:29)

• Conner Weigman played fine against McNeese. It was a quarter and a half. All the criticism was based on Notre Dame. The reality was, yes, you should have been concerned and critical of that performance. Where it went wrong was assuming that it was the end of this quarterback who had a body of work that said it was an outlier. It wasn't guaranteed, but it was a "we have to see it." You expected it to go back to what it was coming into the season because we saw it enough prior. It would be significant for Weigman to stack really good games, including a road win this week. I don't believe he has had a road win. I think he'll go out and get it, just like A&M got one against Florida.

• It would be significant for A&M to win a third game away from Kyle Field. That would be significant because you have to win at Auburn and South Carolina.

• If Weigman, the offense and the passing game go out and play well and look like an efficient unit for two weeks in a row, you could keep saying that's what you expect to take the field every week. Still, there will be ups and downs. South Carolina has a better defense than Missouri and Mississippi State. Texas is a better defense than everybody else on the schedule. It might not always be up, but if he plays like he did against Mizzou, it will be good for him and his confidence. It would represent another step for an offense that keeps going on an upward trajectory.

• Cade Klubnik is a big reason why Clemson is one of the biggest surprise teams of the season. I said that Clemson would be, but I also said the same thing about Oklahoma.

• I had said for the last two years that Oklahoma was moving in the wrong direction, and I also said Steve Sarkisian was doing a better job of building an SEC football team than Venables was. That was a real assessment, and now, the Sooner fans are recognizing it. Their fans don't think they'll win seven games. They have Maine, and who else? Where are the other two wins? They have South Carolina this week, and that's a must-win for Oklahoma. Their defense got exposed.

• Look up Payton Thorne's passing yards vs. Oklahoma. I think he threw for like 350 vs. that defense. People who went to the game on Saturday are saying Texas is bigger, faster and stronger. People are starting to believe it. That's going to be the case for a lot of teams in this league. They'll be bigger, faster and stronger than the Sooners, and it's a failure by Venables. The schedule next year is no easier for him. The defense has been exposed for the last couple of weeks.

Segment 4 ( 31:30:30 - 37:41:27)

• Texas still has a path to navigate as well to get there. Florida is a good team, and Georgia is as well. I'm still not buying Vanderbilt or Kentucky being capable of beating Texas. There is one caveat if I'm a Texas fan. Converting a lot of third-and-2s to third-and-4s and keeping that explosive offense off the field for a long period of time. I don't know if this is the Iowa State or Kansas method, but Texas is too overwhelmingly talented for Vandy. Maybe not for Kentucky with the way that Kentucky plays.

• For A&M, if the Aggies lose the game this weekend, then it's alarming and concerning. If they were to lose to LSU, South Carolina or Auburn, everyone would be off the ship. If they go 3-1 in these four starting this weekend, in year one under Mike Elko, you will still be playing in your final game of the regular season for an SEC title berth.

• You are first in the conference for the first time since you joined 13 years ago. You are first in any conference since 1998. You'd be playing for that in your final game of the regular season. A&M has never played in game 12 to where they would be in the title game if they won. I think it would almost be a certainty if you were 6-1 with the chance to get 7-1 in the league. In your last game, and with a new head coach. That would be a hell of a first season for Mike Elko. If they look good or win in Starkville and if they just figure out a way to beat LSU.

• Look at the upcoming games. One that should be a toss-up, and the other where you're frankly just a better football team. That's when I'll start taking a realistic look at the things other teams are talking about. I got to see a little more. I need to see A&M beat two top-10 teams in the country at home with not only Missouri but LSU, too. I need to see them win another road game, and I need to see that path shrink. I don't think this team will be good enough to survive an off or a down week. The challenge for Elko and the Aggies is exactly what he said yesterday. They know it's going to be a tough environment, and they know they have to play their asses off in Starkville
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

I don't know what losing the first game has to do with the SEC since Notre Dame is not in it.

15 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Nothing is easy in the SEC. Texas is going to learn that. I don't think anyone out of Austin can say that A&M has the easiest schedule in the SEC. LSU is sitting in the top ten. Missouri is ranked. Notre Dame is knocking on the door of the top ten.

He seems like a fucking idiot. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4