Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

24 minutes ago, SimkinsMan said:

I'm sorry, what? We are? 

Yeah that one made me laugh, too.

Everyone in Austin is talking about how average or dogshit the SEC is, outside of a top team or two.  Which is nothing new and the exact same thing we've been saying in Austin for two decades now.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
Liucci 

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 16:56:05)

• I don't know what losing the first game has to do with the SEC since Notre Dame is not in it. You would not include Notre Dame when talking about an easy schedule, considering that they will probably be in the playoffs. I never once said that Texas A&M did not get a great schedule. I said Texas has an easy schedule by SEC standards. The league gifted them a great situation in years one and two.

• Oklahoma and Brent Venables will have difficulty recovering from their first two years in the league. I believe they will ultimately undergo a coaching change. A lot of that is because they let Dillon Gabriel go, and the schedule is nearly unmanageable. The same thing can be said for Billy Napier. Those two schedules will result in two firings. It is not a coincidence.

• A&M has an easy schedule by SEC standards, and so does Texas. Both can be true. So does Ole Miss, and they are struggling. South Carolina is a better team than their record says. People in Austin are crowing about a tough Kentucky team. Have you checked who beat Kentucky 31-6? South Carolina would have beaten LSU by two scores if LaNorris Sellers did not get hurt. They almost beat Alabama.

• Nothing is easy in the SEC. Texas is going to learn that. I don't think anyone out of Austin can say that A&M has the easiest schedule in the SEC. LSU is sitting in the top ten. Missouri is ranked. Notre Dame is knocking on the door of the top ten. The schedule makers did Texas and A&M a favor.

• The biggest difference between Texas' and A&M's schedules are the road games. Texas has to come to Kyle Field, and they have to go to Fayetteville. Arkansas is twice as good at home. Texas A&M has to go to South Carolina, Starkville, Auburn and "The Swamp." That is night and day different.

• I would enjoy a Big Ten-SEC non-conference challenge. Football fans would enjoy that. I am sure plenty of people disagree. Coaches in both leagues would say their schedules are tough enough. I am all for it. I am all for A&M-Oregon or Texas-Ohio State. Imagine Kalen DeBoer traveling back to Washington. Sign me up for all of those types of games. It would be better than bowl games now.

• It is like Texas fans going to Ann Arbor this year and Michigan fans going to Austin in 2027. A&M fans get to plan a trip to South Bend. The Irish were looking forward to this one.

• The coaches aren't going to like opening a season with a power conference opponent. If A&M played Wake Forest to begin the year, they would be 6-0 and possibly ranked in the top five. It is a guaranteed win at home. As a coach, you don't want to play more of those games. You don't need it in the SEC.

• In 12 years in the SEC, Texas A&M is about .500 against Mississippi State. We like to think that it is way lower than A&M's rightful place and that we should never lose to them. That is not true based on what Texas has been on the field. Do I want A&M to win 75 percent of them moving forward? Absolutely, because .500 is way too low. That is why you have had two coaches fired. Losses against Ole Miss and Mississippi State played very big roles in Kevin Sumlin and Jimbo Fisher not making it. These are pivotal games.

• It is no secret that A&M has had some costly losses to Mississippi State. The most costly one was when A&M went up there ranked No. 4. Trevor Knight got hurt, but they were getting outplayed to that point. There is no telling if A&M would have won that game with a healthy Knight. The offense was struggling mightily. Outside of that year, Mississippi State has been on a fairly even level as Texas A&M and winning at home.

• When Mississippi State beat an undefeated and top-10 A&M team, they were clearly the better team. They beat A&M, LSU, and Auburn all in a row. They ascended to No. 1.

• Starkville is a tough place to play. I think you better take this game very seriously. The two times Texas A&M went into Starkville and won are the two best years in the league. If you go in there and win, it is fair to start wondering if this could be one of those kind of seasons.

Segment 2 (16:56:06 - 23:56:13)

• Based on everything you just said about their history in Starkville, improvements from Mississippi State and what we've seen in the SEC this year, I would say signs that A&M has turned a corner would be winning the football game. If it's a 60-minute game that's close, I think they have just as much chance of coming back the next week and beating a top-10 LSU.

• I'm looking at Georgia now and saying, "What are they?" We're going to find out this weekend. Even if Georgia loses, it's a 60-minute game. They could still win out and be 10-2. If they're not very good, you have a Georgia team that doesn't make the playoffs. It's tough to judge everyone right now, and I think you need to judge based on wins and losses.

• If A&M beats Mississippi State handily, they will be 4-0 in the conference with a massive home game coming up. If they beat them comfortably, that will be three out of the four games in the SEC. Before people start talking, we don't know how good Missouri is, but they beat Vanderbilt, which is something that Kentucky and Alabama couldn't do.

• If they win the game against Mississippi State, it's good for the program. If they win comfortably, you have to start saying, "Is A&M playing as good of football as we're seeing in the SEC other than the school in Austin?" Texas has played no one. Is Michigan even ranked now? Oklahoma is unranked now. They have played no one. A&M has played Notre Dame and lost. They played Missouri and won, and I think Arkansas is better than people think.

Segment 3 (23:56:14 - 31:30:29)

• Conner Weigman played fine against McNeese. It was a quarter and a half. All the criticism was based on Notre Dame. The reality was, yes, you should have been concerned and critical of that performance. Where it went wrong was assuming that it was the end of this quarterback who had a body of work that said it was an outlier. It wasn't guaranteed, but it was a "we have to see it." You expected it to go back to what it was coming into the season because we saw it enough prior. It would be significant for Weigman to stack really good games, including a road win this week. I don't believe he has had a road win. I think he'll go out and get it, just like A&M got one against Florida.

• It would be significant for A&M to win a third game away from Kyle Field. That would be significant because you have to win at Auburn and South Carolina.

• If Weigman, the offense and the passing game go out and play well and look like an efficient unit for two weeks in a row, you could keep saying that's what you expect to take the field every week. Still, there will be ups and downs. South Carolina has a better defense than Missouri and Mississippi State. Texas is a better defense than everybody else on the schedule. It might not always be up, but if he plays like he did against Mizzou, it will be good for him and his confidence. It would represent another step for an offense that keeps going on an upward trajectory.

• Cade Klubnik is a big reason why Clemson is one of the biggest surprise teams of the season. I said that Clemson would be, but I also said the same thing about Oklahoma.

• I had said for the last two years that Oklahoma was moving in the wrong direction, and I also said Steve Sarkisian was doing a better job of building an SEC football team than Venables was. That was a real assessment, and now, the Sooner fans are recognizing it. Their fans don't think they'll win seven games. They have Maine, and who else? Where are the other two wins? They have South Carolina this week, and that's a must-win for Oklahoma. Their defense got exposed.

• Look up Payton Thorne's passing yards vs. Oklahoma. I think he threw for like 350 vs. that defense. People who went to the game on Saturday are saying Texas is bigger, faster and stronger. People are starting to believe it. That's going to be the case for a lot of teams in this league. They'll be bigger, faster and stronger than the Sooners, and it's a failure by Venables. The schedule next year is no easier for him. The defense has been exposed for the last couple of weeks.

Segment 4 ( 31:30:30 - 37:41:27)

• Texas still has a path to navigate as well to get there. Florida is a good team, and Georgia is as well. I'm still not buying Vanderbilt or Kentucky being capable of beating Texas. There is one caveat if I'm a Texas fan. Converting a lot of third-and-2s to third-and-4s and keeping that explosive offense off the field for a long period of time. I don't know if this is the Iowa State or Kansas method, but Texas is too overwhelmingly talented for Vandy. Maybe not for Kentucky with the way that Kentucky plays.

• For A&M, if the Aggies lose the game this weekend, then it's alarming and concerning. If they were to lose to LSU, South Carolina or Auburn, everyone would be off the ship. If they go 3-1 in these four starting this weekend, in year one under Mike Elko, you will still be playing in your final game of the regular season for an SEC title berth.

• You are first in the conference for the first time since you joined 13 years ago. You are first in any conference since 1998. You'd be playing for that in your final game of the regular season. A&M has never played in game 12 to where they would be in the title game if they won. I think it would almost be a certainty if you were 6-1 with the chance to get 7-1 in the league. In your last game, and with a new head coach. That would be a hell of a first season for Mike Elko. If they look good or win in Starkville and if they just figure out a way to beat LSU.

• Look at the upcoming games. One that should be a toss-up, and the other where you're frankly just a better football team. That's when I'll start taking a realistic look at the things other teams are talking about. I got to see a little more. I need to see A&M beat two top-10 teams in the country at home with not only Missouri but LSU, too. I need to see them win another road game, and I need to see that path shrink. I don't think this team will be good enough to survive an off or a down week. The challenge for Elko and the Aggies is exactly what he said yesterday. They know it's going to be a tough environment, and they know they have to play their asses off in Starkville

Looch has gone pure stream of consciousness on TexAgs Tadio appearances. Fat Brauny and Nino don’t even bother to ask him questions or interact with him. Looch just goes until it’s time for a commercial break. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Looch has gone pure stream of consciousness on TexAgs Tadio appearances. Fat Brauny and Nino don’t even bother to ask him questions or interact with him. Looch just goes until it’s time for a commercial break. 

rick james cocaine GIF

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

lol it was them what was taking about how Kentucky would give us a game, after they almost beat Georgia. Now Georgia looks pedestrian and Kentucky is 3-3, and somehow its is that we’re talking up Kentucky. 

The sec circle jerk we all hated now serves in our favor. 

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Is anyone surprised to learn that @billfromlaketravis not only frequently hangs out on Texags, but also listens to enough of Looch on the radio to discern nuances in his speaking habits over time?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Is anyone surprised to learn that @billfromlaketravis not only frequently hangs out on Texags, but also listens to enough of Looch on the radio to discern nuances in his speaking habits over time?

Plenty of people on surly spend endless of hours on TexAgs on screen grabs and breaking down delusional posts. I just tune in for the laughs. 

10 hours ago, Longhornfrenzy said:
Liucci 

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 16:56:05)

• I don't know what losing the first game has to do with the SEC since Notre Dame is not in it. You would not include Notre Dame when talking about an easy schedule, considering that they will probably be in the playoffs. I never once said that Texas A&M did not get a great schedule. I said Texas has an easy schedule by SEC standards. The league gifted them a great situation in years one and two.

• Oklahoma and Brent Venables will have difficulty recovering from their first two years in the league. I believe they will ultimately undergo a coaching change. A lot of that is because they let Dillon Gabriel go, and the schedule is nearly unmanageable. The same thing can be said for Billy Napier. Those two schedules will result in two firings. It is not a coincidence.

• A&M has an easy schedule by SEC standards, and so does Texas. Both can be true. So does Ole Miss, and they are struggling. South Carolina is a better team than their record says. People in Austin are crowing about a tough Kentucky team. Have you checked who beat Kentucky 31-6? South Carolina would have beaten LSU by two scores if LaNorris Sellers did not get hurt. They almost beat Alabama.

• Nothing is easy in the SEC. Texas is going to learn that. I don't think anyone out of Austin can say that A&M has the easiest schedule in the SEC. LSU is sitting in the top ten. Missouri is ranked. Notre Dame is knocking on the door of the top ten. The schedule makers did Texas and A&M a favor.

• The biggest difference between Texas' and A&M's schedules are the road games. Texas has to come to Kyle Field, and they have to go to Fayetteville. Arkansas is twice as good at home. Texas A&M has to go to South Carolina, Starkville, Auburn and "The Swamp." That is night and day different.

• I would enjoy a Big Ten-SEC non-conference challenge. Football fans would enjoy that. I am sure plenty of people disagree. Coaches in both leagues would say their schedules are tough enough. I am all for it. I am all for A&M-Oregon or Texas-Ohio State. Imagine Kalen DeBoer traveling back to Washington. Sign me up for all of those types of games. It would be better than bowl games now.

• It is like Texas fans going to Ann Arbor this year and Michigan fans going to Austin in 2027. A&M fans get to plan a trip to South Bend. The Irish were looking forward to this one.

• The coaches aren't going to like opening a season with a power conference opponent. If A&M played Wake Forest to begin the year, they would be 6-0 and possibly ranked in the top five. It is a guaranteed win at home. As a coach, you don't want to play more of those games. You don't need it in the SEC.

• In 12 years in the SEC, Texas A&M is about .500 against Mississippi State. We like to think that it is way lower than A&M's rightful place and that we should never lose to them. That is not true based on what Texas has been on the field. Do I want A&M to win 75 percent of them moving forward? Absolutely, because .500 is way too low. That is why you have had two coaches fired. Losses against Ole Miss and Mississippi State played very big roles in Kevin Sumlin and Jimbo Fisher not making it. These are pivotal games.

• It is no secret that A&M has had some costly losses to Mississippi State. The most costly one was when A&M went up there ranked No. 4. Trevor Knight got hurt, but they were getting outplayed to that point. There is no telling if A&M would have won that game with a healthy Knight. The offense was struggling mightily. Outside of that year, Mississippi State has been on a fairly even level as Texas A&M and winning at home.

• When Mississippi State beat an undefeated and top-10 A&M team, they were clearly the better team. They beat A&M, LSU, and Auburn all in a row. They ascended to No. 1.

• Starkville is a tough place to play. I think you better take this game very seriously. The two times Texas A&M went into Starkville and won are the two best years in the league. If you go in there and win, it is fair to start wondering if this could be one of those kind of seasons.

Segment 2 (16:56:06 - 23:56:13)

• Based on everything you just said about their history in Starkville, improvements from Mississippi State and what we've seen in the SEC this year, I would say signs that A&M has turned a corner would be winning the football game. If it's a 60-minute game that's close, I think they have just as much chance of coming back the next week and beating a top-10 LSU.

• I'm looking at Georgia now and saying, "What are they?" We're going to find out this weekend. Even if Georgia loses, it's a 60-minute game. They could still win out and be 10-2. If they're not very good, you have a Georgia team that doesn't make the playoffs. It's tough to judge everyone right now, and I think you need to judge based on wins and losses.

• If A&M beats Mississippi State handily, they will be 4-0 in the conference with a massive home game coming up. If they beat them comfortably, that will be three out of the four games in the SEC. Before people start talking, we don't know how good Missouri is, but they beat Vanderbilt, which is something that Kentucky and Alabama couldn't do.

• If they win the game against Mississippi State, it's good for the program. If they win comfortably, you have to start saying, "Is A&M playing as good of football as we're seeing in the SEC other than the school in Austin?" Texas has played no one. Is Michigan even ranked now? Oklahoma is unranked now. They have played no one. A&M has played Notre Dame and lost. They played Missouri and won, and I think Arkansas is better than people think.

Segment 3 (23:56:14 - 31:30:29)

• Conner Weigman played fine against McNeese. It was a quarter and a half. All the criticism was based on Notre Dame. The reality was, yes, you should have been concerned and critical of that performance. Where it went wrong was assuming that it was the end of this quarterback who had a body of work that said it was an outlier. It wasn't guaranteed, but it was a "we have to see it." You expected it to go back to what it was coming into the season because we saw it enough prior. It would be significant for Weigman to stack really good games, including a road win this week. I don't believe he has had a road win. I think he'll go out and get it, just like A&M got one against Florida.

• It would be significant for A&M to win a third game away from Kyle Field. That would be significant because you have to win at Auburn and South Carolina.

• If Weigman, the offense and the passing game go out and play well and look like an efficient unit for two weeks in a row, you could keep saying that's what you expect to take the field every week. Still, there will be ups and downs. South Carolina has a better defense than Missouri and Mississippi State. Texas is a better defense than everybody else on the schedule. It might not always be up, but if he plays like he did against Mizzou, it will be good for him and his confidence. It would represent another step for an offense that keeps going on an upward trajectory.

• Cade Klubnik is a big reason why Clemson is one of the biggest surprise teams of the season. I said that Clemson would be, but I also said the same thing about Oklahoma.

• I had said for the last two years that Oklahoma was moving in the wrong direction, and I also said Steve Sarkisian was doing a better job of building an SEC football team than Venables was. That was a real assessment, and now, the Sooner fans are recognizing it. Their fans don't think they'll win seven games. They have Maine, and who else? Where are the other two wins? They have South Carolina this week, and that's a must-win for Oklahoma. Their defense got exposed.

• Look up Payton Thorne's passing yards vs. Oklahoma. I think he threw for like 350 vs. that defense. People who went to the game on Saturday are saying Texas is bigger, faster and stronger. People are starting to believe it. That's going to be the case for a lot of teams in this league. They'll be bigger, faster and stronger than the Sooners, and it's a failure by Venables. The schedule next year is no easier for him. The defense has been exposed for the last couple of weeks.

Segment 4 ( 31:30:30 - 37:41:27)

• Texas still has a path to navigate as well to get there. Florida is a good team, and Georgia is as well. I'm still not buying Vanderbilt or Kentucky being capable of beating Texas. There is one caveat if I'm a Texas fan. Converting a lot of third-and-2s to third-and-4s and keeping that explosive offense off the field for a long period of time. I don't know if this is the Iowa State or Kansas method, but Texas is too overwhelmingly talented for Vandy. Maybe not for Kentucky with the way that Kentucky plays.

• For A&M, if the Aggies lose the game this weekend, then it's alarming and concerning. If they were to lose to LSU, South Carolina or Auburn, everyone would be off the ship. If they go 3-1 in these four starting this weekend, in year one under Mike Elko, you will still be playing in your final game of the regular season for an SEC title berth.

• You are first in the conference for the first time since you joined 13 years ago. You are first in any conference since 1998. You'd be playing for that in your final game of the regular season. A&M has never played in game 12 to where they would be in the title game if they won. I think it would almost be a certainty if you were 6-1 with the chance to get 7-1 in the league. In your last game, and with a new head coach. That would be a hell of a first season for Mike Elko. If they look good or win in Starkville and if they just figure out a way to beat LSU.

• Look at the upcoming games. One that should be a toss-up, and the other where you're frankly just a better football team. That's when I'll start taking a realistic look at the things other teams are talking about. I got to see a little more. I need to see A&M beat two top-10 teams in the country at home with not only Missouri but LSU, too. I need to see them win another road game, and I need to see that path shrink. I don't think this team will be good enough to survive an off or a down week. The challenge for Elko and the Aggies is exactly what he said yesterday. They know it's going to be a tough environment, and they know they have to play their asses off in Starkville

There's been so much talk from them about an all Texas CCG.  I'd put the o/u at 3.5 losses for aggy going into t+2.