Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

11 hours ago, kevwun said:

They payed Dewberry to come back and he’s not playing?  Has to be more to that story.

My guess is they didn’t want to burn down bridges with that hs and district in having a top 100 player not develop and get pushed out after a really shitty  2 tears and not get paid.  That and they had to stop the bleeding of highly ranked former recruits transferring out. 

Well, look here.  A huge 52-10 win over McNeese State which was clearly the best 8th place Southland team last year.  And Notre Dame goes down to Northern Illinois, clearly showing how much we softened them up last week so that loss doesn’t look so bad now.  Revising my prediction to one loss and a CFP championship. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

33 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Crossposting this because holy shit man...

Just happened to be listening to Josh Pate live while he reviewed the Kentucky/SCar game. He said "Many peolee may not remember this, but Mark Stoops desperately tried to leave Lexington in the offseason. He tried to get the A&M job. He HAD the A&M job until Liucci and company pulled the rug out from under him."

Woooooow

Liucci too stupid to realize what he has done.

Arrested Development Reaction GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I wonder if GA processed him. 

That was my immediate thought as well. His ranking - and I understand that the rankings are highly imperfect - doesn't suggest that he's the type of player UGA usually recruits

8 hours ago, Vertigo said:

Crossposting this because holy shit man...

Just happened to be listening to Josh Pate live while he reviewed the Kentucky/SCar game. He said "Many people may not remember this, but Mark Stoops desperately tried to leave Lexington in the offseason. He tried to get the A&M job. He HAD the A&M job until Liucci and company pulled the rug out from under him."

Woooooow

Trouble in paradise? Pate receives almost all of his aggy “research” from Looch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Listened to Finebaum this morning on ESPN CFB, and while talking about ND, he made mention of aggy and scoffed at them and said they're nothing more than a perpetual 8-4 program. Lol

I don't listen to Finebaum's show.  The only time I see him is when he's a guest on other shows.  But I know this much, when that foreskin topper of a head of his rags on an SEC program, that gets the natives worked up good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

It's amazing that anyone listens to Loochie, He definitely says what Trev tells him to say, but he's legitimately one of the worst football people in the business. Just look at his old recruit ranking lists, this idiot understands little about the sport.

Yes but he doesn’t have to. When your audience is a gaggle of neutered, belittled, self-victimized chudcucks, they will believe everything you say without challenge. 

Id pity them if they didn’t deserve every last bit of derision that comes their way. Fuck aggy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

I don't listen to Finebaum's show.  The only time I see him is when he's a guest on other shows.  But I know this much, when that foreskin topper of a head of his rags on an SEC program, that gets the natives worked up good. 

That's where I heard it. He was a guest on someone named Marty (maybe?) and they were talking about the games and brought up ND, and then they made the joke about aggy. 

Segment 1 (00:00:00 - 11:16:11)

• I don't think Conner Weigman is anything similar to Zach Calzada. Calzada was known for his incredible arm. Conner came with a lot more hype. Texas A&M football has made a lot more of a commitment to Conner. Zach was never in that position.

• I thought Zach was gutsy and played through a ton of injuries. He had that amazing win over Alabama. Conner does not have that yet. They beat LSU in 2022, but that was really the Devon Achane game. There is nothing comparable between the two. Weigman is a much more accurate passer.

• Conner Weigman needs to show more starting this weekend. This weekend, he's playing against a true freshman from the greater Houston area in DJ Lagway, who has no more to work with than he does. He needs to play well and win that game. 

• A couple of weeks from now, they go to Arlington to play Arkansas. He needs to play well and help A&M win that football game. I think that is a fair expectation. This is his chance to be the best player on the A&M offense and to set himself up to come back to Kyle Field to take on Brady Cook and Missouri. That should be Conner's mindset.

• Weigman did not play a perfect half against McNeese, but he played pretty well. He led them to touchdown drives on every possession. There were a couple of big plays he missed. He did get some yards with his feet, which I wanted to see more of. I was perfectly fine with his outing. 

• Weigman has to turn it up, and the receivers have to help out and get better starting this weekend. The good thing is they are not playing a murderers’ row of defenses. Did you see what Arizona State did to Mississippi State? Did you see what Oklahoma State did after falling behind to Arkansas? Did you see what Florida gave up to Miami? Missouri is known more for its offense than its defense. South Carolina's defense looks pretty good, but Kentucky's offense hasn't figured it out. I don't think Texas A&M will see a daunting defense until the final game of the year.

Segment 2 (11:16:12 - 15:07:20)

• I think that's still a really good Notre Dame defense. I specifically remember saying, "This is not an SEC elite defense that we've seen in the past." I'm still not sure. I'm looking around the SEC and saying, "Where are the elite defenses other than Georgia?"

• I think Texas' defense looks good when I watch them play, but they played Colorado State, and I'm telling you that Michigan's defense is bad, bad, bad. Notre Dame doesn't have those "creatures" in the front seven. Those absolute beasts that wreck games in the front seven that these SEC teams have. They have a couple of secondary guys that are really, really good. I don't think they have it as much in the front seven.

• A&M should've moved the ball better through the air, just with some degree of consistency, and they would have won that football game against Notre Dame.

Segment 3 (15:07:21 - 27:19:04)

• I saw somebody say, I mean, I'm assuming it's a Longhorn fan, but they said, "I can't wait for Liucci to explain how Northern Illinois is the best team or top-5 in the country."

• We've seen this a million times, but I did not think Notre Dame would lose to Northern Illinois. I thought they were top-10, but after next week's evidence, I don't think they're anywhere near that. You can't do it on defense alone. It's impossible in this day and age in a 60-minute game. There are exceptions. People are going to say, "What about A&M vs. Auburn a few years ago?" I think the final was 20-3. Auburn's offense wasn't very good. No matter how good your defense is, you're going to have to score when you play teams like Georgia, obviously, but even Ole Miss, Texas and Oregon. You'll have to score points to beat them, and I don't think Notre Dame can do that.

• These first two conference games are such a big key for this A&M season because they aren't playing good enough ball yet for us to say that they will beat Florida on the road or for us to look at Arkansas to take down that Bobby Petrino's offense. They have to get through these two first. That Arkansas offense is a problem, and so is “The Swamp.”

• I think it's every new coaching staff, every new coordinator, new portal players, and you're trying to figure out who can get things done and who can't. All that stuff will tighten up, but like I said yesterday, we should stop being disingenuous and look at it how it is. Let's see this run defense and how it goes against Florida. Let's wait and see. I don't think it's a given for me to sit here and say they will stop Florida's run game or they will not let Arkansas move the ball on the ground on them. That would be giving too much credit to a group that has not shown up to that level yet. If we're being real, they've given up four running plays. 

• The second part is the offense. They need to grind out these next three weeks for Missouri. Arkansas and Florida will struggle to be bowl-eligible teams, but both games are "should-win" games.

• I think Marcel Reed will be a really good QB. I think Reed was on the sideline and got thrown out there when Jaylen Hendersen broke his arm. I've seen what Petrino can do, and I see a dangerous quarterback. I would’ve loved to see Ja'Quinden Jackson in Maroon & White.

• They should've caused more havoc and carnage against Notre Dame because I watched Northern Illinois do it. When you talk about Arkansas, when you have really good skill guys, this A&M defensive front has to start destroying offenses.

Segment 4 (27:19:05 - 39:09:24)

• There's no reason for Billy Napier to say one way or the other on the quarterback. Coaches think information matters. He's not going to say who is starting. They think it hurts them if they tip their hand on who is going to be the quarterback. In this case, I think it helps Florida not to say because Texas A&M will have to prepare for both. 

• In my opinion, Napier would be crazy not to start DJ Lagway. I think you start Lagway and then you can go to Graham Mertz if you need to. Ninety-nine percent of coaches would go with Mertz and then bring in Lagway if he's struggling. 

• You wonder if Texas A&M's offense can do to Florida's defense what Miami's offense did. I think the answer will be yes at some point in the season, but I don't know if that is this Saturday.

• Lagway's mistakes don't have to be turnovers. They could be bad reads, sacks or checking in or out of the wrong plays. He gives you the opportunity to scramble and create plays. He can hit over-the-top stuff with his incredible arm.

• I think we will see some more wrinkles as Conner Weigman gets more comfortable in the offense. I think we could see more use out of the tight ends. I saw one clip where Theo Melin Öhrström pancaked a guy. I want to know how all those guys are blocking right now. Implementing more of the tight ends is an ongoing thing. 

• Can you start seeing more and more of Terry Bussey? He is an amazing athletic talent but has a long way to go in terms of learning the receiver position. It's more than just running a reverse. It's blocking and running the right routes. 

• There is a different level of physicality blocking and at the point of attack. I really like Texas A&M up the middle with Chase Bisontis, Kolinu'u Faaiu, and Ar'maj Reed-Adams. I like that Dametrious Crownover is getting more experience at right tackle. If he comes into his own, then this line has a chance to be really good.

• I think this offensive line is off to a very encouraging start. 

• It's hard to punch it in the endzone, even against McNeese State. Once you get inside the ten, those are the hard yards. It's a little early to call this team a good redzone team, but it's not too early to say Collin Klein is an outstanding redzone play caller. Go look at what he did at Kansas State in that department. They were outstanding.

Segment 5 (39:09:25 - 49:36:00)

• It's a brutal game, man. You see injuries all throughout college football right now and they seem to happen more when these guys go from practice to actually playing games. On this top level right now, I'm keeping Georgia at No. 1. They are going to have their hands full in Austin. I'm keeping Texas at No. 2. At No. 3, I've got Ole Miss. Sadly, there are no longer divisions because I would love to see Texas and Ole Miss this year with those two offenses going at it and Lane Kiffin vs. Steve Sarkisian. I know somebody's going to say, "You might see it in the SEC title game!" Ugh, I hope not. Can we please not?

• I have Alabama No. 4, but there's a team right on their heels, and that's Tennessee. I thought two bets were the safest to make this week: Texas to cover against Michigan. I said Texas would throttle Michigan, which was a terrible matchup for Michigan. The other bet was Tennessee vs. NC State. Those were the two easiest picks you might have gotten all year. I might even move Tennessee above Alabama now.

• It's a five-team tier at the top right now, and the next tier starts with Mizzou. LSU, A&M, and after seeing that game against Kentucky, I might put South Carolina up there. Oklahoma is in there, but damn, OU, you didn't look great against Temple, and you really could've, should've, would've lost to UH. You might get clipped by Tulane this weekend. OU is on red alert. Then you have the teams that A&M is going to play. Florida, Auburn... What a bad loss for Auburn. I think they will get better, but can they with Payton Thorne? My next four are Missouri, LSU, A&M and OU. That's my next four. Then you got the back, including Vandy. Kentucky might be the worst.

• I wouldn't take A&M against LSU today, but I think that gap is insignificant. All these teams behind A&M can say the same about A&M. If the Aggies can steadily improve, we know what that is going to take. It’s going to take Conner to play with more confidence. We need Noah Thomas have some big games.

• I think the defense will just get better and better, but from now and Saturday, you have to accelerate faster than Florida does, and you have to accelerate faster than Arkansas does in two weeks.

Segment 6 (49:36:01 - 55:08:05)

• It is not surprising that we saw Marcel Reed before Jaylen Henderson. Reed is so dynamic that there is a little bit of a wild card factor to him. It also has to do with looking towards the future.

• I think Reed would still get that call if needed over the next few weeks. I don't think the gap is that wide, but Marcel Reed is No. 2, in my opinion. I don't think you need Mike Elko to say that. I think they want to see what he can do.

• They have got to attack the field by throwing the football. That is why it was never a question if Conner Weigman was the guy. He gives you the best chance to win by being two-dimensional and throwing the football right now. Marcel Reed has the potential to be a dual-threat guy. They need to continue to let him play when he can.

• I don't know about a move to running back for Terry Bussey. He was at cornerback for the first couple of weeks of fall camp and then at receiver. Now, you guys want him to move to running back. It's not as easy to do that as you guys think.

• Give it time, and I think you will see his role increase. It would not shock me to see him become a jack-of-all-trades player in this offense. He reminds me in some ways of Ramonce Taylor. You can use him in a ton of different ways, and I think you will see Collin Klein do that as the season progresses
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

I read the first line about they've comitted a lot to Weigman, and thats all I needed to see. However bad Weigman is, I don't see anyone being better than him on their depth chat, and that bodes well for us.

"Yeah Weigman sucks but Elko is playing football politics so he's gonna start still moving forward."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

17 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

It's hard to punch it in the endzone, even against McNeese State. Once you get inside the ten, those are the hard yards. It's a little early to call this team a good redzone team, but it's not too early to say Collin Klein is an outstanding redzone play caller. Go look at what he did at Kansas State in that department. They were outstanding.

I for one fondly remember Collin Klein's redzone play calling.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I for one fondly remember Collin Klein's redzone play calling.

Yeah, he single handedly kept us in the playoff hunt because he decided to stop running the ball down our throats when he got to the goal line. 

29 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

• Weigman has to turn it up, and the receivers have to help out and get better starting this weekend. The good thing is they are not playing a murderers’ row of defenses. Did you see what Arizona State did to Mississippi State? Did you see what Oklahoma State did after falling behind to Arkansas? Did you see what Florida gave up to Miami? Missouri is known more for its offense than its defense. South Carolina's defense looks pretty good, but Kentucky's offense hasn't figured it out. I don't think Texas A&M will see a daunting defense until the final game of the year.

• I think that's still a really good Notre Dame defense. I specifically remember saying, "This is not an SEC elite defense that we've seen in the past." I'm still not sure. I'm looking around the SEC and saying, "Where are the elite defenses other than Georgia?"

Hang it in the Louvre.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

• I think Texas' defense looks good when I watch them play, but they played Colorado State, and I'm telling you that Michigan's defense is bad, bad, bad.

LOL

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, BigHornedLurker said:

Liucci trying to pile in A&M with the rest of the best for a few more games until he's exposed, that Roller Coaster isn't going to start itself ! 

It's ok, the season ends this weekend, Florida will put loss #2 on them. Their OL is abysmal, and they are getting average production from the best part of their team (DL).

Lagway is going to have a field day against those LBs.

I find it hilarious that they are not concerned that McNeese ran all over them and Weigman didn't have a blow out game.

Just now, HtownHorn said:

It's ok, the season ends this weekend, Florida will put loss #2 on them. Their OL is abysmal, and they are getting average production from the best part of their team (DL).

Lagway is going to have a field day against those LBs.

I find it hilarious that they are not concerned that McNeese ran all over them and Weigman didn't have a blow out game.

Florida is fucking terrible and Napier is a potato. Don't get your hopes up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

7 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Remembered the details wrong, but weren't there some really stupid pass plays when they were almost in our endzone at the end?

Yeah. They started throwing the ball damn near every play in the second half after averaging about .5 ypc in the first half. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Yeah, but Florida didn't allow a shitty FCS team to run all over them, and Lagway had a break out game.

I think I learned more from the McNeese State game than the ND game. 

The fact they still had some issues against McNeese State is glaring. They are fucking horrible. 2-12 in the last 14 games against primarily FCS teams. There are legit some HS teams that might give that McNeese State team a game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Even if they get past Florida, which I think is a coin flip, Arkansas is a hundred times better than they were last year. They are finally going to get one on a&m. After watching their first two games, I'm actually concerned that our game against them is going to be a bit of a dogfight. I know they lost to Okie lite, but they outgained them by 250 yards.

Their qb is a problem especially if he gets out of the pocket. He accounted for almost 500 yards total through the air and on the ground. There may not be anything more hilarious this entire season than watching Bobby Petrino run a wide ass open offense up and down the field on a&m while the aggie faithful wonder where the hell that was all last year. 

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1