Texas A&M Recruiting 2025: The Land of Melk & No Money

texifornia

19 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not that it isn’t a bullshit excuse, but isn’t he the one that said he’s cancelling for a specific reason related to team or family, and not just cancelled because aggy locked him down?   That seems like something to report on if it’s his public explanation. 

I thinks that's what he told our 9.95ers - that his friend was having surgery and he wanted to be there for him or something? Honestly, about the worst one of those I've heard, and I doubt he told the aggy insiders the same

• Hook 'Em 1

image.png.97b11a419a6a187cbcaabf214844a7dd.png

It's worth recalling that the above picture was snapped at a nationally televised game where most of us got our first real look at Elko. He knew he was going to be on camera and that's how he showed up. I'd had no idea what he looked like. My only thought was that he better be a brilliant coach if he thinks this is an adequate image for the face of the program.

As we learned, it wasn't a one off. He doesn't give a shit.

I look like shit a lot of the time, but if I were a millionaire heading a multi-million dollar operation, I'd go to a fucking tailor and hire a consultant. Snappy white t-shirt under the gorgeous sweatshirt. 

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Can't find a decent quality version, but I have never been more confident a coach was a bust in his first game than when I saw this. No charisma, no excitement, no nothing.

image.thumb.png.2c3524dd787608e22657834e26486096.png

I believe I wrote that he looks like a guy who won the shot-put in the Special Olympics who was made honorary coach for a day. 

Again, I'm not a fashion maven, but wear a maroon polo. Maybe try a windbreaker. The tennis shoes are even iffy.

"Is this where I stand?"

Edited by RomaVicta
  • Haha 6

23 hours ago, Napoleon said:

One exception when “Myself” is a subjective pronoun:

”I am myself when I am around friends…”

”I am not myself at work…”

When using “to be”, but it still does not start a sentence. 

Okay, I am off to enjoy a gloomy Brooklyn autumn afternoon/evening. You all can talk among(st) yourselves. 👀

image.jpeg.c54de80ef3ee558d3887c6256666ebbe.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

It's worth recalling that the above picture was snapped at a nationally televised game where most of us got our first real look at Elko. He knew he was going to be on camera and that's how he showed up. I'd had no idea what he looked like. My only thought was that he better be a brilliant coach if he thinks this is an adequate image for the face of the program.

I look like shit a lot of the time, but if I were a millionaire heading a multi-million dollar operation, I'd go to a fucking tailor and hire a consultant. Snappy white t-shirt under the gorgeous sweatshirt. 

It's the difference between "he doesn't give a SHIT!" and "he doesn't GIVE a shit."

The difference is what are the results on the field. If he's winning, who fucking cares if the head coach shows up in tailored clothes? He doesn't have time to look good for you. He's too busy winning football games.

If he's losing, then he's a fucking slob whose game prep resembles the attention to detail he gives himself when he leaves for the office.

Now, if you look like a slob and have Mack-level paranoia on 9.95 reports and go 7-5 in year 1, you better have some thick fucking skin and believe in your ability to turn it around.

8 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

It's the difference between "he doesn't give a SHIT!" and "he doesn't GIVE a shit."

The difference is what are the results on the field. If he's winning, who fucking cares if the head coach shows up in tailored clothes? He doesn't have time to look good for you. He's too busy winning football games.

If he's losing, then he's a fucking slob whose game prep resembles the attention to detail he gives himself when he leaves for the office.

Now, if you look like a slob and have Mack-level paranoia on 9.95 reports and go 7-5 in year 1, you better have some thick fucking skin and believe in your ability to turn it around.

Right. The counterpoint to a lot of Elko is a slob talk is Josh Heupel.

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

It looks like the transfer from Utah will be the guy. He started 8 games for Utah last year. I'm not sure why he wasn't playing already. While there is certainly a reason he's running 3rd string, I can't imagine the difference between him and Shanahan is all that great. He's at least an upperclassman and has some experience.

The A&M/Arkansas game is always such a weird shitshow. Both teams do multiple stupid things for three quarters, and then Arkansas always seems to find a way to shoot themselves in the dick at the end to lose.

If there were ever a year for the Hogs to get over on A&M, you would think this is it. Arkansas can move the ball. They have the best offense that A&M has seen so far (low bar) and Bobby Petrino running a wide open system going up and down the field on them would be serious comedy. But who knows which Arkansas team is going to show up week to week? They didn't play well against Auburn, but got 5 turnovers and pulled out the win. They dominated the stats against Oklahoma State and somehow found a way to lose. 

That transfer from Utah that’s now starting for Elko was the 240th (out of 276) graded C in 2023. 

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

12 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If you’re going to be that pudgy and schlumphy, you can at least cross your arms or something so your shoulders don’t look like a rained-on dirt berm. The guy just lets his stupid arms hang by his sides like they’re paralyzed appendages. It makes him look even worse. He’s definitely not making the best of what he’s got physically.

He’s got the same silhouette as an inflatable clown punching bag.

Edited by Xminus6
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Longhornfrenzy said:

Three things are getting shorter every Friday 

Screenshot_2024-09-27-07-55-49-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Screenshot_2024-09-27-07-56-05-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Over/under commitments this weekend at 0.5 is certainly going out on a limb. 

Following it up with Chace Sims canceling his OV, but contradicts himself by saying he thinks Sims will make a future visit here. 

Those morons. 

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, nnm said:

He’s just mailing it in at this point. He’s like the 25-year middle manager who realizes he’s never going to make VP, has maxed out in comp, sees all the corporate dysfunction, knows that nothing he does makes a difference to the company or the greater good, and doesn’t like anyone he works with. Sure, he’ll show up 9ish to 4ish, and make the mandatory meetings, fill out his weekly reports, but he’s done, and everyone knows that. 

This is a dark description, vividly portraying the soulless banality of a niche in corporate America. Only someone who’s lived it could tell it so well. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 2

Ahead of the dawn of NIL, we all debated what it could all mean, and many argued various points about the presence of the bag game in that future era.

-Some proclaimed that NIL wouldn’t matter and that the bag game would rage on.

-Others said the bag game would disappear forever. 

-Some of us discussed how dark markets function even when an open market is also present. 

The latter is what has unfolded. Just like bootlegging moonshine still exists as a thing, the bag game is still around for purpose with those willing to be involved. It’s not prominent, but it can make an appearance if a player or family is connected to someone willing to take a bag in lieu of the right long term answer for the player. This could be a street agent or a trainer or, kind of unbelievably, a high school coach. 

Many times in the past few years, the stickiness of that character in a recruitment has been melted away if the family can get back to a campus where the coaches can get real about the earning power through NIL and the player’s rights. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Perhaps it’s because I’m petty and shortsighted, but with the advent of above board NIL I think I’d be very tempted to see what could be done about Al Caponing people who take the bags. 

“Hello, Mr. Handler, I’m from the IRS and I have a few questions for you…”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

He’s just mailing it in at this point. He’s like the 25-year middle manager who realizes he’s never going to make VP, has maxed out in comp, sees all the corporate dysfunction, knows that nothing he does makes a difference to the company or the greater good, and doesn’t like anyone he works with. Sure, he’ll show up 9ish to 4ish, and make the mandatory meetings, fill out his weekly reports, but he’s done, and everyone knows that. 

I feel seen… 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Ahead of the dawn of NIL, we all debated what it could all mean, and many argued various points about the presence of the bag game in that future era.

-Some proclaimed that NIL wouldn’t matter and that the bag game would rage on.

-Others said the bag game would disappear forever. 

-Some of us discussed how dark markets function even when an open market is also present. 

The latter is what has unfolded. Just like bootlegging moonshine still exists as a thing, the bag game is still around for purpose with those willing to be involved. It’s not prominent, but it can make an appearance if a player or family is connected to someone willing to take a bag in lieu of the right long term answer for the player. This could be a street agent or a trainer or, kind of unbelievably, a high school coach. 

Many times in the past few years, the stickiness of that character in a recruitment has been melted away if the family can get back to a campus where the coaches can get real about the earning power through NIL and the player’s rights. 

Yeah I feel like this play has been run a few times re:ATM where a commit gets an under the table 'bonus' to cancel a visit or do something else that, if nothing else, helps perceived momentum. No idea on the mechanics but 'i'll give you this bag today if you don't visit this weekend' feels about right to me, and seems to have been hinted at by mods on both sides.

My supposition is that the standard MO of the fabled aggy pool party was similar to this. Have someone take each kid aside, offer them x amount, give them a sweetener if they commit on the 'one day special', and then hotbox them to commit with coaches/players/other commits applying pressure. This, of course, started right before NIL, but I bet continues on on some level with the grey area mentioned above

4 hours ago, nnm said:

Probably a real stickler for the new cover sheets on TPS reports.