• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nnm

• crash_davis

• Armybrat

• Longboard Horn

15 hours ago, nnm said:

This was a regular occurrence in my 1970s NM childhood. Carter needed more speed and to pop the front wheel a little when he went over the edge. 

Yeah, that was totally his fault.  He should have studied physics a bit more before attempting.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Doze said:

tat.jpg

White American women. Europeans not so much.

One thing l learned while at resorts is that American men and women love their tattoos. I’d say 50% if not more people have tats.

White American women. Europeans not so much.

One thing l learned while at resorts is that American men and women love their tattoos. I’d say 50% if not more people have tats.

50% of all Americans or 50% at your resorts? Business statistics class is giving you the stink eye.

9 minutes ago, markstanco said:

50% of all Americans or 50% at your resorts? Business statistics class is giving you the stink eye.

At the Disney resort where I’m guessing the guest are at least middle-upper class to afford the rooms.

The percentage of people with tattoos at a Sandals resort or Carnival cruise is probably through the roof. 

On 6/3/2024 at 6:47 PM, nnm said:

This was a regular occurrence in my 1970s NM childhood. Carter needed more speed and to pop the front wheel a little when he went over the edge. 

there were about a dozen of us in the sub-division I grew up in.  Every day, all day long June to Sept from the age of 5-12 with breaks for jumping in the creek, throwing rocks at each other and eventually "tag" with the old Red Ryder BB guns.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

there were about a dozen of us in the sub-division I grew up in.  Every day, all day long June to Sept from the age of 5-12 with breaks for jumping in the creek, throwing rocks at each other and eventually "tag" with the old Red Ryder BB guns.

If it was in the yard or the garage it was considered bike ramp construction materials.  Boards, bricks, boxes, dad's old TR6.

Redline 600a ftw!  Those poors with their huffy's, diamondbacks and raleighs couldn't fly like I could.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

CSB warning.

We pretty much all had Huffy's or whatever brand Sears or Kmart sold.  Probably, 25 or 30 pounds of goddamn steel.  In later years kids showed up with magazine fantasy bikes like Redlines and Diamondbacks.

We had a long steep downhill that transitioned to about a 4 foot high dirt ramp.  Absolutely perfect set up, EXCEPT you had the quickly turn after landing or you went into a ravine with all sorts of brambles and weeds.   New kid shows up when I was about 10 running some bullshit about his BMX pedigree and a shiny new Redline or something.  Fucker nose dived the landing and skidded right into the ravine.   He never lived that down, moved away at some point in high school.

• Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

29 minutes ago, CoTex said:

Redline 600a ftw!  Those poors with their huffy's, diamondbacks and raleighs couldn't fly like I could.

Not sure why you're throwing the Diamondback kids in w/ the poors.  That was a 1st class rig all the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

24 minutes ago, CoTex said:

If it was in the yard or the garage it was considered bike ramp construction materials.  Boards, bricks, boxes, dad's old TR6.

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

We pretty much all had Huffy's or whatever brand Sears or Kmart sold.  Probably, 25 or 30 pounds of goddamn steel.

All of these resonate and are parts of what we did in a very rural mountain community in northern NM.  Because my parents were both in public and church service, we were the poors, but in that community we were comparatively affluent.  The bikes that my brother and I had, and those of our friends, were frankensteinian bastard bikes with pieces from various older bikes, many salvaged from the town dump, where we would pick over corpses of bikes discarded from people that were at least as poor as we were.

There were no paved roads.  No curbs.  All gravel or caliche/mud roads.  Ramps were made out of plywood, 2X4s, cinderblocks, etc.  Many ramps were natural, over rocks and off arroyo or creek banks, like the kids in the video above.  Wipeouts were rough, getting torn up on the miscellaneous gravel, larger rocks, goatheads, etc.  Because the wipeouts were tough, the learning curve was steep.  You learned quickly so you didn't do that again.  Rock fights, BB gun fights, etc., were just natural extensions of those activities.  

Sometime around mid-day, we'd wander into one of the houses, where we were sure to find an abuelita with fresh cooked (flour) tortillas and fresh butter waiting for us.  Melt in your mouth.  

The substandard hospital was at least 30 minutes away.  Every broken bone got set, but many cuts that probably should have had stitches just got some bandage slapped on it and hope for the best.  I spent much of my childhood in slings, casts, and on crutches.  And I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

10 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Not sure why you're throwing the Diamondback kids in w/ the poors.  That was a 1st class rig all the way.

It goes like this

JMC

Hutch/PK Ripper

Redline

The rest of you poors.

Huffy.  About the only thing I can say about those Huffy bikes is that whoever was in charge of the styling... an attempt was made.  Heavy, shit components, a bunch of unnecessary things like chain guards and reflectors, fake silver paint instead of chrom-oly (whatever the hell that is).  The modern day equivalent would be Hisense or maybe the giza sheet commercial guy.

3 minutes ago, nnm said:

Wipeouts were rough, getting torn up on the miscellaneous gravel, larger rocks, goatheads, etc.  Because the wipeouts were tough, the learning curve was steep.  You learned quickly so you didn't do that again. 

The Wire GIF

amazed we didn't lose anyone.  Distinct anti-safety culture.  YGIFS posted "Mongoose" above which reminded me of someone showing up with a mongoose fully padded.  That lasted till about lunch when the heckling got the best of him.  There were no helmets, pads, any of that shit.  Show up with that and you were mocked mercilessly.   quite the time to be a kid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

The Wire GIF

amazed we didn't lose anyone.  Distinct anti-safety culture.  YGIFS posted "Mongoose" above which reminded me of someone showing up with a mongoose fully padded.  That lasted till about lunch when the heckling got the best of him.  There were no helmets, pads, any of that shit.  Show up with that and you were mocked mercilessly.   quite the time to be a kid.

I had a pad on the handlebar bracket that covered this thing

image.png.6658e57cb6f77406a56c6349af4c1408.png

We were certain at that age that, if our testicles ever made contact with the handlebar bracket, we would die instantly.

The rest was fair game.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

The Wire GIF

Yeah, either our buddies had the full padding deal on all the bars and helmet or nothing at all but some axle pegs for friends.  I had the latter. 

One time though in junior high on my Chromoly mainframe (if you know, you know), was trying to be cool in the summer and took my shirt off to ride with friends and impress junior high chicks.  So draped my t-shirt over the handle bar.  After a few blocks, it slips into my front wheel and cogs it up and I go flying over the front of the bike (cause I still do dumb shit to this day).  So much blood in my eyes, I couldn't see and still have the scar to this day.  It was one of those rare moments in our youths where instead of laughing at you, your friends could instinctively tell, "Yeah, I think bleeding that much from the head is kinda serious."  We went to Bill P.'s house since his parents weren't home and I cleaned it up and it finally quit bleeding, probably should have gotten stitches.  

The modern day equivalent of your friend clearing your browser history for you, Bill P. probably spent 30 minutes throwing away all my bloody rags and band-aid wrappers and wiped down all the bathroom before his parents got home from work.  

I think of the ending to "Stand By Me" when the narrator types "I never had any friends like I did when I was twelve."  

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

One time though in junior high on my Chromoly mainframe (if you know, you know), was trying to be cool in the summer and took my shirt off to ride with friends and impress junior high chicks.  So draped my t-shirt over the handle bar.  After a few blocks, it slips into my front wheel and cogs it up and I go flying over the front of the bike (cause I still do dumb shit to this day).  So much blood in my eyes, I couldn't see and still have the scar to this day.  It was one of those rare moments in our youths where instead of laughing at you, your friends could instinctively tell, "Yeah, I think bleeding that much from the head is kinda serious."  We went to Bill P.'s house since his parents weren't home and I cleaned it up and it finally quit bleeding, probably should have gotten stitches.  

I showed up about 45 min after my buddy had gotten the inspiration to surf his bike down a paved street shirtless.

first time I had seen legit road rash.  All down the side of his face, shoulder and back.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 2

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

This was my ride in 1956……$50 Schwinn for the win. 

(mine was red)

IMG_3065.jpeg

I had a red Schwinn also, maybe a year or two later.  Mine didn't have a speedometer, light, or tool bag, however.  It did have three speeds with the little changer on the handlebars like that one appears to have.

That convinced me there was a Santa, as the boxes (older bro got one, too) were out by the curb marked $69.95, and I knew my parents couldn't have swung $140 for these two bikes for Christmas.  I guess I didn't know about lay-away and credit at the time.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

CSB warning.

We pretty much all had Huffy's or whatever brand Sears or Kmart sold.  Probably, 25 or 30 pounds of goddamn steel.  In later years kids showed up with magazine fantasy bikes like Redlines and Diamondbacks.

We had a long steep downhill that transitioned to about a 4 foot high dirt ramp.  Absolutely perfect set up, EXCEPT you had the quickly turn after landing or you went into a ravine with all sorts of brambles and weeds.   New kid shows up when I was about 10 running some bullshit about his BMX pedigree and a shiny new Redline or something.  Fucker nose dived the landing and skidded right into the ravine.   He never lived that down, moved away at some point in high school.

I had a chopper made by Raleigh.  Mine was just like this one, but in Salem green. Now I see they are selling for 2800 bucks on EBAY.  FMFL

1969_Raleigh_Chopper.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Did your bike have a working turn signal and rev box?  I didn't think so.

Mine did.

spacer.png

Man, the extra bravado imparted by riding that sweet bike around would have landed me in the quadriplegic ward.  Good thing we were poor and never could have afforded that!

Edited by nnm

3 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I had a chopper made by Raleigh.  Mine was just like this one, but in Salem green. Now I see they are selling for 2800 bucks on EBAY.  FMFL

1969_Raleigh_Chopper.jpg

This thing is cool in a "my grandmother once had a green monte carlo that was cool," kinda way.  It had 8ft long doors, adjustable mirrors (wiggle the little sticklever on the inside), brown carpet, windows you couldn't really see out of, a hood ornament, big fucking engine that could turn fuel into heat but not power, and little tires.

It didn't do anything really well unless you count burning gas and causing door dings.  I wish I had it now, but I'm not sure what the hell I would do with it other than look at it and say "what the fuck were we thinking."