Post a pic that makes you lol

Born Burnt

43 minutes ago, Hate said:

This was my ride, but in all black. That shock absorber was nice for street riding, but pretty ineffective on jumps.

IMG_1750.jpeg

Your legs and spinal column are the correct answer for shock absorber for 70’s and 80’s BMX riding.

• Like 2

• Replies 39k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nnm

• crash_davis

• Armybrat

• Longboard Horn

e0e377d7ece139c8855d04a8a4945932.jpg

I had one of these monsters (Schwinn Stingray) when we moved from Chicago to The Woodlands in 1980.  All of the boys in the hood had killer bmx bikes and I was super jealous.  I asked my parents for a new bike and they laughed at me.

Their solution?  Switch out the seat for a bmx style one and put a number plate across the handlebars. 

My reward?  I was always "volunteered" to be first to try out the jumps to make sure they wouldn't fall apart.

Good times.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I had one of these monsters (Schwinn Stingray) when we moved from Chicago to The Woodlands in 1980.  All of the boys in the hood had killer bmx bikes and I was super jealous.  I asked my parents for a new bike and they laughed at me.

Their solution?  Switch out the seat for a bmx style one and put a number plate across the handlebars. 

My reward?  I was always "volunteered" to be first to try out the jumps to make sure they wouldn't fall apart.

Good times.  

I had one of those in blue.

Holy shit, did I put a ton of miles on that thing in the summers.

Edited by TrashMaster G
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

Did your bike have a working turn signal and rev box?  I didn't think so.

Mine did.

spacer.png

My younger brother got one of these second hand.  His was sized for a young kid(not sure if they all were) so it was pretty cherry when he got it.  We tore it to shit.  He was crushed when the rev noisemaker finally died.

Had 2 huffy’s, then one of those gray/silver murray’s (?) with the white disc spoke covers. 

That got stolen from school, and got a green murray after that. Shortly after I started mowing lawns with a buddy. Saved up all summer and got a Haro Sport.

Had that until I got my first car. Bike ended up in the attic, along with my entire star wars, transformer, and gi joe collections. Which were forgot about when the folks moved, and remained in the attic. No idea of someone found that treasure trove or not. 

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It was the last time I ever tried any stupid shit on my bike.

Thats a damn shame.  Sounds like you had lots of potential in the realm of stupid boyhood bike stuff.

I still have parallel scars the length of my right shin from the aluminum bike pedals with the huge traction stubs  that I got when the stock pedals finally failed.

We had all just seen Hotdog the Movie. Snow was nowhere to be found so we spent a week recreating “chinese downhill” on our bikes.  Got knocked off balance and that pedal ran the entire length of my shin leaving 2 nearly identical slashes.  Another kid broke his arm before the parents caught on to our hijinx and put a stop to it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I had a chopper made by Raleigh.  Mine was just like this one, but in Salem green. Now I see they are selling for 2800 bucks on EBAY.  FMFL

1969_Raleigh_Chopper.jpg

Interesting design element: The fork, front seat strut, and rear seat strut distances along the main frame look pretty close to PHI.

Form follows function maths.

Got a mustard colored sears 10 speed that I just had to have. Not long after I saw my first Mongoose with Tuffwheels.

No dice. Just had to have the 10 speed didn’t you. Dumb ass.

• Like 1

Mine did.
pic1_copy16_blowup.jpg

I had that exact bike, except without the electronics. Pretty sure the frame was made out of an iron-lead alloy, the fucking bike weighed 1000 lbs.
So of course I tried to take it over jumps and shit. Till the day I smashed headlong into the second of two big dirt ramps, wrecked my shins, and turned the front wheel into a crescent moon. Had to walk the bike home, bleeding the whole way.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Mine did.

spacer.png

I had a hand me down one of these as my first bike.

I had a mongoose kinda like this but front and back pegs.  Could Ollie and bunny hop the hell out of it.  

IMG_6461.jpeg

Edited by Hook1997
  • Like 1

Well that's a just a diverse business portfolio.  I remember as a little kid, my mom bought an exercise bike and a volleyball for us from Service Merchandise.  And it was so weird to me that they were both labeled "AMF", if I had known they also made nuclear reactors...it would have been like Kramer shouting, "Is it insane?  Or is it so sane, your tiny brain is collapsing in on itself as we speak?"  

I couldn't find it, but somebody posted a few years ago this really high-production value home movie of an old-school Evil Knievel remote/roll-up bike and it flew across this little plywood ramp over some toy trucks and it landed perfectly.  Cracked me up.  Shit we used to try to do as kids like put G.I. Joe guys in a Tonka truck and try to get 'em to jump a creek.  We lost a lotta good men down there that day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Had 2 huffy’s, then one of those gray/silver murray’s (?) with the white disc spoke covers. 

That got stolen from school, and got a green murray after that. Shortly after I started mowing lawns with a buddy. Saved up all summer and got a Haro Sport.

Had that until I got my first car. Bike ended up in the attic, along with my entire star wars, transformer, and gi joe collections. Which were forgot about when the folks moved, and remained in the attic. No idea of someone found that treasure trove or not. 

Huffy's what?

Murray's what?

22 hours ago, Superhero said:

At the Disney resort where I’m guessing the guest are at least middle-upper class to afford the rooms.

The percentage of people with tattoos at a Sandals resort or Carnival cruise is probably through the roof. 

Dude, then Venn Diagram between Disney Resorts and Carnival Cruises is fairly close to a single circle.  

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Worst bike crash I ever had. We had a neighborhood slide like the below which broke. We decided to convert it into a bike ramp. Laid if flat on the ground which meant the ramp was about 60 degrees straight up. I was the first and only idiot to try the jump. Hauled ass, took the jump, which basically shot me up vertically. No down ramp to come down on. I landed straight down on both wheels. My handle bar stripped forward. I fell over the front of the bike as the handle bar stripped. My nuts crashed the goose neck at the base of the handle bar. I broke my balls and dick. I don't think I stopped crying for 30 mins. My friends could not stop laughing the entire time. It was the last time I ever tried any stupid shit on my bike.

533963ad4b7f82e8ca930ef3bca4f79b.jpg&f=1

Story was made even better when I scrolled up to see the username of who posted it.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Worst bike crash I ever had. We had a neighborhood slide like the below which broke. We decided to convert it into a bike ramp. Laid if flat on the ground which meant the ramp was about 60 degrees straight up. I was the first and only idiot to try the jump. Hauled ass, took the jump, which basically shot me up vertically. No down ramp to come down on. I landed straight down on both wheels. My handle bar stripped forward. I fell over the front of the bike as the handle bar stripped. My nuts crashed the goose neck at the base of the handle bar. I broke my balls and dick. I don't think I stopped crying for 30 mins. My friends could not stop laughing the entire time. It was the last time I ever tried any stupid shit on my bike.

533963ad4b7f82e8ca930ef3bca4f79b.jpg&f=1

So that’s where you got your username?

5 minutes ago, Wiler77 said:

Story was made even better when I scrolled up to see the username of who posted it.

Beat me to it.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Covri said:

I had a bike similar to this one as a kid in the 80s. The white tires were fucking boss.

image.jpeg.3ac71e6eaddd8b4417cf7ce7377ddf9e.jpeg

This right here is the Balch Springs crackhead special nowadays. On any given day you can see one of them pedaling with that crackhead energy hauling any scrap metal to the yard on Lake June to get money for their next bump.

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I had a chopper made by Raleigh.  Mine was just like this one, but in Salem green. Now I see they are selling for 2800 bucks on EBAY.  FMFL

1969_Raleigh_Chopper.jpg

I had the Lemon Peeler.

vintage-schwinn-ad-copy-1500126798.jpg

• Like 1

Plenty of great bike stories on here lately. Bravo. 

I will change it up and just ask this: why would a group of 14 year old boys drive a fully functioning go-kart through the woods, rigged up to jump the carbeurator to a top speed that the gas pedal couldn't hit, attempting to navigate through a suicide gauntlet of massive rocks chunked at them by their friends?  

Answer: because they were a group of 14 year old boys. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Nuge said:

Good times.  

My Stingray had a higher sissy bar and was burnt orange, but otherwise that's my bike.  Between the time I was 6 and 14 I bet I put 20,000 miles on that bike.  Damn, those were the days.

My buddies and I would get going down a hill and use the deep dip at the cross street as a jump.  A really good jump took you too far, onto a gravel part of the street, and was an almost certain wipeout.  I think I still shed gravel from that road today.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

I will change it up and just ask this: why would a group of 14 year old boys drive a fully functioning go-kart through the woods, rigged up to jump the carbeurator to a top speed that the gas pedal couldn't hit, attempting to navigate through a suicide gauntlet of massive rocks chunked at them by their friends?  

Yes!

We scabbed together a gokart and quickly learned that mechanical engineering has limits and should be careful considered when gearing ratios and engine rpm specs are concerned.  It was fun while it lasted, but another example of, what the fuck were we thinking? Lol

2 hours ago, honolulu horn said:

My favorite time on the go-kart was when you would hit a fire ant mound and scoop that sumbitch and all its residents up into your gokart floor board.  Then, about 3 minutes later they would all attack and sting simultaneously.

Emergency stop, jump out of the go-kart and run around in circles flailing on a hot ass south texas day.  I'm sure the wine-soaked housewives in the neighborhood thought I looked like Big Daddy Garlits or Cha-cha Muldowney on fire in Heart Like a Wheel.

• Haha 5

Maybe a little niche lol, but I lol'd.  For the non-soccer types, Peter is a very tall, gangly goofball former EPL player married to a total smokeshow who was runner up and then host of Britain's Next Top Model.  They are the poster children for someone outkicking their coverage in marriage.

image.png.a5680a3388426118a61695f9fc7b47ec.png

• Haha 4

IMG_1149.jpeg.3c6d099331eefbc5cb8b6f3680b76921.jpeg

This was my hog as a kid. Did plenty of stupid jumps with lumber and cinder blocks. Had a single seater go kart too and built a ramp with plywood and cinder blocks. The wood flexed when I hit it and it launched me what felt like straight up. Came down flat and knocked the wind out of me. Never saw my cousin laugh so hard. 

• Hook 'Em 1