• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• crash_davis

• nnm

• Armybrat

• Longboard Horn

16 hours ago, nnm said:

We were up in Telluride the day they closed the mountain for Covid in 2020.  Stayed a day in town after it closed, then did a cannonball run back to Central Texas that Monday.  My employees were freaking out, and I needed to hop on a few calls and write some emails, so I switched and let my wife drive when we got to Albuquerque.  I'm in the passenger seat when we're about 30 miles north of Roswell on 285.  Flat.  Wide-open.  Not a tree in sight.  No other cars on the road.  I glance up from my computer and see a lone tom turkey in the median coming into our lane about a quarter mile ahead.  Surely my wife sees it.  I wait a few seconds, then start hollering her name.  Evidently, she was in a daze.  She smoked that 20-lb butterball doing 80.  Literally had a good 15 seconds to slow down, change lanes, something.  Nope.  He started to try to fly right before she hit him.  Toasted the bumper, the grille and banged up the radiator.  Had to limp home adding coolant every 100 miles or so.  About $5K worth of damage, but it least it gave me a reason to upgrade to a brush guard bumper.  Glad we weren't in a sedan, but damn those turkeys can do some damage.  She still hasn't lived that one down.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

We were up in Telluride the day they closed the mountain for Covid in 2020.  Stayed a day in town after it closed, then did a cannonball run back to Central Texas that Monday.  My employees were freaking out, and I needed to hop on a few calls and write some emails, so I switched and let my wife drive when we got to Albuquerque.  I'm in the passenger seat when we're about 30 miles north of Roswell on 285.  Flat.  Wide-open.  Not a tree in sight.  No other cars on the road.  I glance up from my computer and see a lone tom turkey in the median coming into our lane about a quarter mile ahead.  Surely my wife sees it.  I wait a few seconds, then start hollering her name.  Evidently, she was in a daze.  She smoked that 20-lb butterball doing 80.  Literally had a good 15 seconds to slow down, change lanes, something.  Nope.  He started to try to fly right before she hit him.  Toasted the bumper, the grille and banged up the radiator.  Had to limp home adding coolant every 100 miles or so.  About $5K worth of damage, but it least it gave me a reason to upgrade to a brush guard bumper.  Glad we weren't in a sedan, but damn those turkeys can do some damage.  She still hasn't lived that one down.  

$5k in damage from a turkey?  what kind of vehicle was this?

Just now, Scheiss Meister said:

My mom had to use a talker like that due to laryngeal cancer.  One day when we were down at MD Anderson for a radiation treatment we went down to the cafeteria for lunch.  There was a little girl about 5 years old in line behind us with her mom.  She heard my mom say something to me and her eyes got huge and she gasped audibly.  Then she turned to her mom and in that 5 year old "whisper" said, "Momma!  That lady's a robot!"  My mom humored her by acting like a robot the rest of the time we were in line.  Later, she saw my mom eat some food and freaked out about the robot being able to eat.  It was cute, and funny, as hell.

Good for your mom. Sounds like she was a great lady. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, futureman said:

yeah bud I took physics freshman year too.

I've hit three deer with my truck and never got more than a small dent in the bumper.  $5k for a turkey sounds strange.

I hit a sneaky, suicidal jackrabbit at 75+ about 5 years ago in my Miata-$3500

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

F350.  It wasn't a love-tap.  It was 80 mph smack-dab in the middle of the bumper / grille without even thinking about slowing down.  

37 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

I hit a sneaky, suicidal jackrabbit at 75+ about 5 years ago in my Miata-$3500

well I don’t get it.  I’ve driven straight through three deer in the hill country going ~60mph and no damage to speak of.  f150.

Not always the size of the animal but the point of impact. I’ve hit a deer going about 45 in a Silverado and it went straight over the roof, nothing more than a small dent. Armadillo's have caused more damage than that on a few occasions. Bird chipped my windshield once. Never hit anything that required any extensive repairs though.