Brett Favre is about to go through some things

Hugo Stiglitz

• 2 months later...

i don't like how this thread is attacking Favre and Rodgers.  They are simply men standing up for their political and ethical value set and I'm tired of people shitting all over them and making it so CR

• Haha 4
  • Drool 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

It's not just that nobody feels bad for him.  It's the the reaction of a lot of people--myself included--was "good."

Fuck Brett Favre--he stole money from kids on welfare.  He was strong; they were weak.  So he stole their money.  And he defrauded the taxpayers to do so.

He's a piece of shit, and I hope he suffers a lot on his way to an early grave on which I will gleefully piss.

In the POOREST STATE IN THE COUNTRY.   

Doubtful he actually has Parkinson's, though.

The pronunciation of Favre as "farv" has always driven me nuts.

I believe the proper pronunciation, which most coonasses, would get right, is "fahv-ruh" with an eliding of the ruh, like Louvre.

But somewhere in his redneck, regard woodpile, they made it like "warsh."  @bolverk @RDCanecutter can confirm or deny.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I believe the proper pronunciation, which most coonasses, would get right, is "fahv-ruh" with an eliding of the ruh, like Louvre.

But somewhere in his redneck, regard woodpile, they made it like "warsh."  @bolverk @RDCanecutter can confirm or deny.

Your assumption about the proper pronunciation is correct.

The final syllable should very much be pronounced like Louvre, but it's only like half a syllable or near whisper of one in modern French (or Parisien). In other words, barely give any breath (if at all) to that last -e, so the "-uh" sound isn't really pronounced but just kind of exhaled. I believe in southern French, they'd give the "-uh" more emphasis, though.

How the crazy Cajuns would say it, I couldn't really tell you. Their French pronunciation is, well, different.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, bolverk said:

Your assumption about the proper pronunciation is correct.

The final syllable should very much be pronounced like Louvre, but it's only like half a syllable or near whisper of one in modern French (or Parisien). In other words, barely give any breath (if at all) to that last -e, so the "-uh" sound isn't really pronounced but just kind of exhaled. I believe in southern French, they'd give the "-uh" more emphasis, though.

How the crazy Cajuns would say it, I couldn't really tell you. Their French pronunciation is, well, different.

It is, but like us Texans and stuff like "Guadaloop," they tend I think to get it more right than wrong and don't misplace entire letters.

18 hours ago, TOR said:

Doubtful he actually has Parkinson's, though.

I actually got "diagnosed" with Parkinson's several years ago.  They can really only determine Parkinson's by brain tissue samples (kinda like CTE), so they basically have a list of symptons, and the more of those you have, the more likely it is that you have it.  I had 70% of the symptoms and the doctor told me that I "may" have Parkinson's.  

Thankfully, no, or not yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Matuka said:

TLDR… Pulitzer Prize winning writer who exposed the MS-Favre scandal is potentially facing jail time for not divulging sources in lawsuit against her by former governor who is suing for defamation.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/41403341/favre-nfl-wolfe-bryant-mississippi-welfare

That state is more crooked than Texas.

• Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I have my theories, but they're just made-up stories until I do the face-to-face research. And that's kinda like when I consciously choose not to study Favre's name, because I would have to spend part of my life thinking about Brett Favre.

But here, I'll throw you a bone:

My made-up story: Got off the boat trilling r's like they did in the 1700s: fah-vruh> (waves hand) > ????? > Cut down to fahv > Either somebody saw the written "r" and overcompensated and/or they moved from a non-rhotic to a rhotic neighborhood and just slapped an imaginary r back in> Add in some ignunce = Farrrrrv (fuck if I know, now I am tired of thinking about the man.)

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It is, but like us Texans and stuff like "Guadaloop," they tend I think to get it more right than wrong and don't misplace entire letters.

4 hours ago, Doc Daneeka said:

“Pedernales” would like a word. 

Yeah, no native French speaker (or anyone who actually knows how to speak the language) is going to move the R from behind the V to in front of it—the same goes for Spanish with the Perd. Although, in the case of Pedernales, its mispronunciation has become so common, that's just how it's said in Central Texas.

Brett's family may well be so far removed from their ancestry that they don't know any better, or it's just become the way it's said without the spelling change. I guess one easily accessible example is how those who speak Received English or some variant will drop the R (e.g., Pahk the cah in Havahd Yahd) but will sometimes add an Intrusive R in where there is none (e.g., Draw[r]ing).

Given that the traditional Foghorn Leghorn, Deep South, hush-puppy American accent tends not to pronounce hard Rs, I can see how Brett's family may have reinserted one in the wrong place in the same way as "draw[r]ing."

3 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

My made-up story: Got off the boat trilling r's like they did in the 1700s: fah-vruh> (waves hand) > ????? > Cut down to fahv > Either somebody saw the written "r" and overcompensated and/or they moved from a non-rhotic to a rhotic neighborhood and just slapped an imaginary r back in> Add in some ignunce = Farrrrrv (fuck if I know, now I am tired of thinking about the man.)

Yeah, it's the non-rhoticity that favors the reinsertion of the Intrusive R.

(We posted at the same time.)