Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

I don’t think Sark has discarded his love for taking shots. Some is game planning, clearly Helm was a huge emphasis. There’s also the fact that we have a 3rd year QB that understands what he’s looking at. Young players default to throwing deep when they don’t know where everyone is/should be.

• Hook 'Em 2

39 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I don’t think Sark has discarded his love for taking shots. Some is game planning, clearly Helm was a huge emphasis. There’s also the fact that we have a 3rd year QB that understands what he’s looking at. Young players default to throwing deep when they don’t know where everyone is/should be.

Yep. I think Ewers coming back for his 3rd year was the best move he could've made.  For both him and us.

• Hook 'Em 3

51 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Yeah, there were a few reasons not to emphasize shots in this game, but those reasons won't exist against most teams on our schedule.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Helps that his line looks to be on whole other level this year.

It does but the big difference is that he’s much cleaner with his drop footwork and it’s allowing him to move through the pocket much more effectively than he has. He’s always had the off platform stuff, but he hasn’t had the ability to command the pocket or leave when need be. His improved footwork is doing a lot to help the oline look better imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm not worried about not taking shots. I think Sark was just taking what Michigan's defense was giving him. I was impressed with Quinn's decision making yesterday. He didn't press. If he didn't like the read he either overthrew it or threw it in the dirt. He took off with his feet when he had an opening versus trying to fire something out really fast. Picked up 2 first downs that way IIRC. It really says something about his makeup and how the coaching staff handles him that big environments don't rattle him. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I wonder how much Sarkisian has discarded his love for the deep ball versus having the weapons to do other things, too, more so than before last season. It’s not like he wasn’t taking shots last year. I think it just feels less forced now when there’s more to it than Worthy on a fly.  

I feel like more than a little of last year was trying to keep Worthy happy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 hours ago, Derka said:

the touchdown throw to golden was a 10/10, perfect nfl throw. he made it look routine. and that’s really the theme of the season so far for him. he is noticeably more in command of the offense, and notably more calm and comfortable throughout the game. VY had that “aura” about him, to use the word du jour, and 2024 quinn ewers has it too. always looks calm; never looks tired; looks 0% gazed in any way. he really does look like the 1.000 recruit, heisman favorite, top 10 draft pick that he’s been billed as since he was 16. 

in fact i compared him/our offense today to colt/our 2009 offense. specifically that anything less than 3rd and 12 feels like light work. that’s how masterful QE has been. Sark is calling near flawless games and it’s simply been up to his offense to execute. through two games this offense has that beautiful balance of “dominant with clear room to improve”, and that’s how i would describe QE as well. he and our offense have been dominant, and yet nobody has played their best. this team has all the trappings of a real contender, and it starts and ends with QE. he is so polished compared to where he started when he got here, and it really really shows. the sky is the limit, for him, and this team. 

How many coaches beyond Sark could have developed Quinn to this point?  Of if not coaches, then what staffs?  Maybe Kiffen?  Gundy?  Riley?  Apparently being a premier QB whisperer alone doesn't make one a great head coach.  Saban wasn't one, but he was a coach bright enough to hire good ones.  I'd like to think we are in the unique situation of having both the whisperer and HC covered by the same person.  

But the point really is, I don't think QE ever gets developed to this quality anywhere else.  Which would have been a shame.  Bright people like the Mannings recognize this and buy in too.  

• Hook 'Em 4

Just now, Jkwellborn said:

I feel like more than a little of last year was trying to keep Worthy happy.

Well, last year there was also Mitchell to hold some eyes, at the very least. Two years ago felt more forced. Last year felt a little more opportunistic. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Stat to know: Quinn Ewers is the only player in the FBS to have multiple games with three passing scores and no interceptions against multiple AP top-10 opponents since the start of last season. Ewers had 349 yards and three touchdowns last season against then-No. 3 Alabama.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/41149066/ap-college-football-poll-reaction-next-top-25-team

Basically repackaged what has been mentioned here previously...

I also liked, "left Ohio State two years ago and still beat Michigan before they did"

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

I'm not worried about not taking shots. I think Sark was just taking what Michigan's defense was giving him. I was impressed with Quinn's decision making yesterday. He didn't press. If he didn't like the read he either overthrew it or threw it in the dirt. He took off with his feet when he had an opening versus trying to fire something out really fast. Picked up 2 first downs that way IIRC. It really says something about his makeup and how the coaching staff handles him that big environments don't rattle him. 

I think Sark was pretty confident that Michigan wouldn’t be doing much scoring. No reason to risk the long shots 

13 hours ago, RichUT said:

Watching him carve up defenses the rest of the year is going to be fun to watch. 

we’re finally back to the days of, “our guys are better than yours, and i can’t wait for each saturday where i get to watch them go to work.” we have a top 5 national o line and a top 5 QB; you could argue we have the best of both. i don’t think there’s any argument that we have the best offensive mind/play caller in the game, and our assistant coaches and player development are unquestionably first class. Tashard Choice is like the Duane Akina of running backs coaches. everywhere you look our players are physically full grown, mentally prepared, and being put in positions to make plays. i know it’s early in the season, but it really feels like this a team where, if we simply execute, there’s only a handful of other teams in america that can hope to hang with us. feels like 04/05 and 08/09 again. it’s special.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

Quinn looked like a surefire first rounder after his game in Tuscaloosa last year too. Then he played Wyoming and looked like warmed over dogshit. 

Quinn has never looked this polished, he’s never looked this calm, he’s never been in command of the offense like this. this is not the same guy from the previous two seasons. it’s like watching a different person out there. his footwork is better, his touch and accuracy has been more consistent, and his total calmness when pressured, keeping his eyes downfield and his body in a position to make a big throw to convert- it’s all levels above what we’ve seen from him. i’ve been as critical of QE as anyone, but he has clearly put in the work and developed into a top flight QB. he has become that guy. 

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Atticus said:

Quinn looked like a surefire first rounder after his game in Tuscaloosa last year too. Then he played Wyoming and looked like warmed over dogshit. 

Let's see him bail Sark out of less than stellar gameplans and elevate his team when they are not at their best.

That said, if he does this against Georgia, he's gonna go top 10, even if he's under 6'2.

Sure, let the season play out, but the 1Q yesterday was absolutely a case of him elevating the team. 3rd down conversions of 13, 5, and 7, (plus 11 on the not-TD to Moore) to overcome 25 yards in penalties. He got us off to the perfect start (in terms of strategy) and carried the burden of the offense to do so. Those penalties can derail a script and we didn't test their run defense until Quinn had already worn them down some. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Sure, let the season play out, but the 1Q yesterday was absolutely a case of him elevating the team. 3rd down conversions of 13, 5, and 7, (plus 11 on the not-TD to Moore) to overcome 25 yards in penalties. He got us off to the perfect start (in terms of strategy) and carried the burden of the offense to do so. Those penalties can derail a script and we didn't test their run defense until Quinn had already worn them down some. 

a conversation that my friends and i have had countless times over the last two years: “how many games has QE won for us? how many times has he put the team on his back and willed us to victory? how many times has he been the x factor in a big win?” it was an honest conversation where we struggled to come up with a ton of examples. there’s no struggling anymore. there’s no doubt who led the way against michigan.

QE had a couple of bad decisions/throws, but overall he was masterful in leading our offense. we basically conceded first down yesterday and just started at 2nd and 10 every time, with countless 3rd and medium-long conversions by quinn. calm conversions; easy conversions; he was totally in charge and in control. QE finally looks like the on-field leader of this team, and that’s a scary thought for our opponents. 

5 minutes ago, Derka said:

a conversation that my friends and i have had countless times over the last two years: “how many games has QE won for us? how many times has he put the team on his back and willed us to victory? how many times has he been the x factor in a big win?” it was an honest conversation where we struggled to come up with a ton of examples. there’s no struggling anymore. there’s no doubt who led the way against michigan.

QE had a couple of bad decisions/throws, but overall he was masterful in leading our offense. we basically conceded first down yesterday and just started at 2nd and 10 every time, with countless 3rd and medium-long conversions by quinn. calm conversions; easy conversions; he was totally in charge and in control. QE finally looks like the on-field leader of this team, and that’s a scary thought for our opponents. 

It’s a lot harder for a (mostly) pure passing guy to do that. It can be done, obviously, but the QB who can say “fuck it, I’ll run it on you” is in a better position to do that. When your guy can run it on 4th and 18, or 3rd and 30, or 4th and 5 and convert, that’s just a whole different level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

Rewatched a bunch of the game this morning. Quinn’s feet and his athleticism look so much different than the last two seasons. Night and day.

He's making quicker decisions on his 2nd and 3rd read. Last couple of years he'd say on the 1st read too long at the expense of 2nd and 3rd reads.

• Hook 'Em 1

It’s a lot harder for a (mostly) pure passing guy to do that. It can be done, obviously, but the QB who can say “fuck it, I’ll run it on you” is in a better position to do that. When your guy can run it on 4th and 18, or 3rd and 30, or 4th and 5 and convert, that’s just a whole different level.

I see what you did there.

He’s definitely playing smarter. Several times there were busted plays and he just ate it quickly to avoid any thing or threw it away.
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Derka said:

the touchdown throw to golden was a 10/10, perfect nfl throw. he made it look routine. and that’s really the theme of the season so far for him. he is noticeably more in command of the offense, and notably more calm and comfortable throughout the game. VY had that “aura” about him, to use the word du jour, and 2024 quinn ewers has it too. always looks calm; never looks tired; looks 0% gazed in any way. he really does look like the 1.000 recruit, heisman favorite, top 10 draft pick that he’s been billed as since he was 16. 

in fact i compared him/our offense today to colt/our 2009 offense. specifically that anything less than 3rd and 12 feels like light work. that’s how masterful QE has been. Sark is calling near flawless games and it’s simply been up to his offense to execute. through two games this offense has that beautiful balance of “dominant with clear room to improve”, and that’s how i would describe QE as well. he and our offense have been dominant, and yet nobody has played their best. this team has all the trappings of a real contender, and it starts and ends with QE. he is so polished compared to where he started when he got here, and it really really shows. the sky is the limit, for him, and this team. 

Going to have to agree with you there, on that "aurora", first few drives it seemed like we were stubbing our toes on early downs with penalties short gains, and whatever. Dude was ice cold, it didn't bother him. "I'll just pick it up on 3rd down or on the next down" seemed to be the mantra. He knows he can make the offense move. Its easy to think you can so it, it's another to do it and it's another thing to do it consistently, and  its another thing to do it in the national champs house. 

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I see what you did there.

He’s definitely playing smarter. Several times there were busted plays and he just ate it quickly to avoid any thing or threw it away.

This is the key. I once put together my own QB statistic for the NFL. It included rushing yards and sack avoidance as an all-encompassing QB run game statistic and was obviously adjusted for opponents. The #2 "running" QB in the NFL that year was Peyton Manning because he simply didn't get sacked. So I watched games to sanity check and it actually made sense. He had an elite internal clock and rush recognition. He would get rid of it just in time even if that meant throwing it away near a receiver to avoid an intentional grounding call. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't know if it qualifies as a "deep" ball, but that early pass to Bond was 30+ yards and absolutely NFL on the money.  Left front corner of the end zone, money.  Several other passes.  That guy has an elite arm and he has clearly continued to grow into the offense and what Sark wants out of him.

• Hook 'Em 3

Ewers was amazing. Texas was 10-16 on 3rd down and if I heard Scipio correctly the average distance was 7+ yards. That 1st half was probably 80%+ conversion rate. That is a testament to how well he played. IF that number was 35-40% (Texas was 38% last year on 3rd downs), it is a different game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

Ewers was amazing. Texas was 10-16 on 3rd down and if I heard Scipio correctly the average distance was 7+ yards. That 1st half was probably 80%+ conversion rate. That is a testament to how well he played. IF that number was 35-40% (Texas was 38% last year on 3rd downs), it is a different game. 

That 80% conversion rate had to be maddening for M fans in the first half-see Texas a few years ago. But those 3rd down calls and execution were money-nothing flukey or gimmicky, just straight up solid football.

On the other hand, I thought Michigan got away from the run too early.  I think they were quite capable of moving down the field 4 yds at a time.  If Harbaugh had been there, I'll bet that's what he would have done. Couldn't have been any worse than what they did.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I dont mind the horns down but the dad telling the kid to do it clearly a loser

When kid grows up he will know his Dad made him look bad with the TEXAS chant going on in the background because they just got their ass kicked!

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

That 80% conversion rate had to be maddening for M fans in the first half-see Texas a few years ago. But those 3rd down calls and execution were money-nothing flukey or gimmicky, just straight up solid football.

On the other hand, I thought Michigan got away from the run too early.  I think they were quite capable of moving down the field 4 yds at a time.  If Harbaugh had been there, I'll bet that's what he would have done. Couldn't have been any worse than what they did.

Agreed. My 13-YO son pointed out that all you have to do is reliably get 3 or so yards. I remember watching them throw on 3rd/4 relatively early in the game and end up punting when they likely could have run for 4 in two carries if they'd had the stones to use all four downs.

26 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

I remember the tipped pass that went to Helm on 3rd down. Michigan fan behind me cursed and said "this is not our day"

Michigan Rbs were OK. Mulings, Edwards, and Hall went 17 for 80 (4.7). Once Texas got out front by a few TDs, it was hard to stick to the 3 yards and a cloud of dust. 

Play calling was a stark difference. I remember a 3rd and 2 around the 40 for Michigan in the 1st half. I couldnt believe the went straight drop back with no play action, if you throw the ball. I expected them to run there with the idea that if they get 1 yard, they go for it on 4th.  Went for a pick, Texas marched down, and the fat lady was warming up. 

Edited by Codaxx