Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

5 hours ago, South Austin said:

I was surprised to see Michigan fans doing the Horns down, but I guess I shouldn't have been.  

I swear, it seems like no matter what game is on, someone in the crowd is doing it when the camera pans to them with their group of friends. It's like the "cool thing" to do now. 

It makes zero sense when I saw some rando fan of a team I don't think we've ever played doing it into the camera. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock

11 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

I swear, it seems like no matter what game is on, someone in the crowd is doing it when the camera pans to them with their group of friends. It's like the "cool thing" to do now. 

It makes zero sense when I saw some rando fan of a team I don't think we've ever played doing it into the camera. 

Exactly. It means nothing now (except for that Texas means a lot more than some of these pendejos would like to admit).

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Lotta free rent going on. 

Ainters Gonna Aint James Franco GIF by hero0fwar

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

Exactly. It means nothing now (except for that Texas means a lot more than some of these pendejos would like to admit).

I assume people took that tired (false) notion that we were complaining about teams taunting us with Horns Down in the Big 12, and fans now think our feelings get hurt over it. I throw my horns up because 1. I am a Longhorn 2. I have pride in being a Texas Ex and Longhorn. They throw it down because they want to show they despise my mascot/team? I guess. What you think about my team and school is really none of my business. 

After seeing quite a few 'tubes of the Meatchicken game, and hearing various talking heads processing the lavish praise for the team in general, Ewers particularly, and Sarkisian overall for both his superb play-calling and being a working CEO putting the whole package together... after all that, I was considering what stands out for Quinn, as compared to last year.
Lots of talk about improved footwork, and that's for sure.
He doesn't try to "make a play" on every single snap - he reads at least two targets every time, and he takes what's available, or throws it away, and that's big.
But I think what stands out to me is that he has stopped self-sacking. There were several instances when the pocket was collapsing around him and he stepped up and hit his target. Last year - like the preceding one - he would have tried to get out the back and wind up giving up a big sack. 
It's also apparent that he sees the Defense much more clearly, both pre- and post-snap, and knows where to go. 
Not only are we better than we thought, we're better than we hoped.
Damn, I'm looking forward to Georgia's visit.
Hook'em

Got to get through OU, then we’ll have 1 vs 2, in Austin. I assume that TV will make that a night game, as it’s still TBD?

Hook’em!!!

11 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The Heisman doesn’t exist after 2005 and 2008/09 as far as I’m concerned. What a joke.

Then reinstating Bush this year? Fuck off.

IIRC they offered it to Vince (when they stripped Bush) but he turned it down. Too bad he didn't take it - I don't think they have sufficient scrotal circumference to take it away from Vince or make it a tie...

13 minutes ago, hook me said:

I remember them back to douchebag mayfield but don’t remember further than that in order. I’m sure that completely changes your mind on the subject.

Hey man, I'm all for Quinn winning it.  Especially if recruits care.  I don't follow recruiting.  From a fan standpoint, it just seems like a bit of a "neat" moment, whereas a national title is on a massively different level.  But keep on shining on you crazy diamonds.

Sorry Colt...

Vince --> Quinn --> Colt

Is that an unpopular opinion? 

He has been so instrumental in the renaissance of Texas football. Could Hudson Card or Malik Murphy achieved what he has achieved? Could Colt in this era?

Quinn has brought Texas back to relevance its rightful place as the premier program in the nation. 49-0, B12 revenge tour, Bama, Playoff, Michigan... whose elite defense couldn't stop him this year. 

Colt was a system QB and he ran that system really, really well. He won a Fiesta Bowl and played for a BCS Championship and had he not been inured I believe Texas would have won.... Quinn would be successful in any modern offense: Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Lane Kiffin, Kalen Deboer.....

Quinn has arguably more talent to work with than Colt (though I love me some Quan and Shipley), a better scheme, and a much better O-line, but his football IQ is outstanding, he can make all the throws, and is playing at an elite level. He helped put 3 NFL WR's in the league last year and then Texas simply reloaded with Bond, Bolden, and Golden. I think there's a good chance all those guys play on Sunday too. He is one of the reasons Texas has attracted and accumulated all this skill talent. These dudes wanna go to war with him. They know he can ball.

The man is unshakable. He's tough and gritty, overcoming injury and he still takes off when the time is right. He has risen to every challenge. He has shaken off mistakes, criticism, and competition. He's staving off (and mentoring) a Manning!

On top of all this he could end up being the top QB in the nation, win the Heisman, and get drafted in the 1st round. 

We are lucky to have him.

So happy he stuck around another year. I think we would have some growing pains had he declared and a greenhorn was running the offense.

This is going to be a special year and I am going to savor the success this team enjoys. Last year, an old-school Bama-fan friend of mine who watched the game in Tuscaloosa said he's never seen a team so cohesive and in it - together. What a wonderful time to be a Longhorn after a decade plus of bullshit. Can't wait to see what this team does this year! FAFO!

Fuck aggy, fuck the B12, and fuck up the SEC!

Mike Tyson Boxing GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

Hey man, I'm all for Quinn winning it.  Especially if recruits care.  I don't follow recruiting.  From a fan standpoint, it just seems like a bit of a "neat" moment, whereas a national title is on a massively different level.  But keep on shining on you crazy diamonds.

Nobody is equating a heisman to a national championship. No shit they are different.

10 hours ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

The Heisman doesn’t exist after 2005 and 2008/09 as far as I’m concerned. What a joke.

Then reinstating Bush this year? Fuck off.

The Heisman is nonsense.

But if Quinn were to win it, it would still be a good thing for the program. Just like Sweat winning the Outland last year. 

"Oh one of our guys won the thing? Nice."

And that is really all there is to it. If he doesn't win it I am not going to care that much. The award is not based on anything but vibes, Sweat won the Outland over that Notre Dame guy to a large degree because he scored a TD and did a pose. Definitely something that indicates you are the best lineman.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Name the last 5 Heisman winners without googling.  Go.

19 - Burrow

20 - D Smith

21 - B Young

22 - Williams

23 - Daniels

Am I right? I think I am. It would take me a minute to get 2010-2018, probably. Might not even get them all. 

Doesn't matter. A Heisman is nothing but good things for a fanbase and program, even if us olds are bitter about VY and McCoy and don't pay much attention. 

Ewers winning it this year would be really cool. Long way to go. 

14 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

The Heisman has always been nonsense....  

Paul Hornung (mid-1950s - I think '56?) won it while playing for a miserable team. QB and HB and Kicker for Notre Dame but won only two games. He was a star in pro ball, too. Lombardi loved him at Green Bay. Guarantee nobody on a team with a losing record even shows up on the ballot any more.

4 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

I still have my heisman with dreads shirt.

I skipped school the day of Ricky's Heisman parade to go see it.  I was a junior in high school and my buddy's older brother was a freshman at UT.  I met up with him in the morning and went to his calculus class with him and fell asleep.  The professor called me out for sleeping in class and my reaction was basically:

85132097-bf4b-4cf6-b09e-1d71c3ffbf0c_tex

Then we went to the parade with a VHS camcorder and interviewed Leslie in his Hooter's shorts with his dick hanging out.  I miss old Austin.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Paul Hornung (mid-1950s - I think '56?) won it while playing for a miserable team. QB and HB and Kicker for Notre Dame but won only two games. He was a star in pro ball, too. Lombardi loved him at Green Bay. Guarantee nobody on a team with a losing record even shows up on the ballot any more.

Jeanty would have to run for 3000 yards at 10 a pop to have a shot, and they might be a playoff team. 

Imo, it’s a “nice to have,” at best, other than to the extent it helps the program as a whole. It doesn’t represent what it purports to represent, but if it benefits Texas to have the winner, and it does, then I hope Ewers gets it, even apart from the fact that it means he had to have kicked ass on the biggest stages to do so. 

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

... I hope Ewers gets it ... 

As do we all.

EDIT: mainly because it means he - and by extension, the team - kicked ass this season.

Looking back to '09, Colt would have won it if not for Donkey Kong Sue.

Edited by Tex Long

The Heisman has always been controversial.  It took forever for the idea of a defensive player to win it, and even Charles Woodson logged time as a receiver when he won it.  There was a similar bias against underclassmen until Tebow won it.  Soon after Johnny Crackball won it as a freshman.

In the modern era, it has been almost exclusively focused on skill players.

All of these things call into question the idea of an award for "best football player", but it doesn't mean it's not a nice thing to win, for the player and his program.

Sorry Colt...
Vince --> Quinn --> Colt
Is that an unpopular opinion? 
He has been so instrumental in the renaissance of Texas football. Could Hudson Card or Malik Murphy achieved what he has achieved? Could Colt in this era?
Quinn has brought Texas back to relevance its rightful place as the premier program in the nation. 49-0, B12 revenge tour, Bama, Playoff, Michigan... whose elite defense couldn't stop him this year. 
Colt was a system QB and he ran that system really, really well. He won a Fiesta Bowl and played for a BCS Championship and had he not been inured I believe Texas would have won.... Quinn would be successful in any modern offense: Ryan Day, Lincoln Riley, Lane Kiffin, Kalen Deboer.....
Quinn has arguably more talent to work with than Colt (though I love me some Quan and Shipley), a better scheme, and a much better O-line, but his football IQ is outstanding, he can make all the throws, and is playing at an elite level. He helped put 3 NFL WR's in the league last year and then Texas simply reloaded with Bond, Bolden, and Golden. I think there's a good chance all those guys play on Sunday too. He is one of the reasons Texas has attracted and accumulated all this skill talent. These dudes wanna go to war with him. They know he can ball.
The man is unshakable. He's tough and gritty, overcoming injury and he still takes off when the time is right. He has risen to every challenge. He has shaken off mistakes, criticism, and competition. He's staving off (and mentoring) a Manning!
On top of all this he could end up being the top QB in the nation, win the Heisman, and get drafted in the 1st round. 
We are lucky to have him.
So happy he stuck around another year. I think we would have some growing pains had he declared and a greenhorn was running the offense.
This is going to be a special year and I am going to savor the success this team enjoys. Last year, an old-school Bama-fan friend of mine who watched the game in Tuscaloosa said he's never seen a team so cohesive and in it - together. What a wonderful time to be a Longhorn after a decade plus of bullshit. Can't wait to see what this team does this year! FAFO!
Fuck aggy, fuck the B12, and fuck up the SEC!
200.gif

If Ewers wins the Heisman and leads UT to a national championship, there’s an argument. Until then, it’s Colt > Ewers, as far as achievement/impact at UT. I think Ewers is already ahead of Colt from a talent and ceiling as a pro perspective. But those are two pretty different things.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

NFL is a different animal and Ewers clearly gets the nod there.  If you gave Colt a really good oline, a solid running game and 5 or 6 receivers who get open all the time, he would have put up some PlayStation numbers.  Sark got Mac Jones drafted in the first round.  He would have made Colt look even better.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1