Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

15 minutes ago, kevwun said:

NFL is a different animal and Ewers clearly gets the nod there.  If you gave Colt a really good oline, a solid running game and 5 or 6 receivers who get open all the time, he would have put up some PlayStation numbers.  Sark got Mac Jones drafted in the first round.  He would have made Colt look even better.

I wouldn’t downplay Colt’s NFL career either though. It never panned out for him as a starter, but a 12 year NFL career is probably like the top 99% by longevity. 

I think the average number of years in the league for drafted QBs is well under 5. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised to see how many people are ambivalent about the Heisman, even while acknowledging it's a good thing to win one. 

Personally, I'd be thrilled to see another one brought to Austin. It's a major achievement for a player and looks awesome in a trophy case. It should be a source of pride for any program. Not to mention the help with recruiting and everything else that's already been said. Obviously not as good as winning a National Championship, but I don't think personal awards and championships are really comparable in terms of what they mean to a program. The Heisman is still the "national championship" of personal awards, however, even if the award has been watered down a bit over the last 20 years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Park Gothic said:

I'm surprised to see how many people are ambivalent about the Heisman, even while acknowledging it's a good thing to win one. 

Personally, I'd be thrilled to see another one brought to Austin. It's a major achievement for a player and looks awesome in a trophy case. It should be a source of pride for any program. Not to mention the help with recruiting and everything else that's already been said. Obviously not as good as winning a National Championship, but I don't think personal awards and championships are really comparable in terms of what they mean to a program. The Heisman is still the "national championship" of personal awards, however, even if the award has been watered down a bit over the last 20 years. 

Not to mention for the past decade or so we see the Dr. Pepper commercials all over college football with past Heisman winners, lately many of them wearing OU and Alabama jerseys, it seems.  It's nice publicity to have for your program.  

And yeah, of course I'd take a title over a Heisman any year (not like it's ever an either/or choice; see, e.g., 2004 USC).  But it's still the functional equivalent of a great team achievement award.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, South Austin said:

Not to mention for the past decade or so we see the Dr. Pepper commercials all over college football with past Heisman winners, lately many of them wearing OU and Alabama jerseys, it seems.  It's nice publicity to have for your program.  

And yeah, of course I'd take a title over a Heisman any year (not like it's ever an either/or choice; see, e.g., 2004 USC).  But it's still the functional equivalent of a great team achievement award.  

...and there are Heisman's and then there are Heisman's.  I don't see the Danny Wuerful's, Gino Torretta's, and Jason White's proudly on display.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

The Heisman has always been controversial.  It took forever for the idea of a defensive player to win it, and even Charles Woodson logged time as a receiver when he won it.  There was a similar bias against underclassmen until Tebow won it.  Soon after Johnny Crackball won it as a freshman.

In the modern era, it has been almost exclusively focused on skill players.

All of these things call into question the idea of an award for "best football player", but it doesn't mean it's not a nice thing to win, for the player and his program.

This right here, and the well known VY snub is why I'd love to see Quinn win it but my expectations are zero. Further, I'd argue right now that Gunnar Helms is actually the best player, at his position, in the nation. That's in NO WAY a slight on Quinn. Rather, asking the question, shouldn't BOTH be in consideration. But outside  the rare WR one time CB and Orlando Pace it's always almost always a QB or RB on a top 4 team in the nation. That's a pretty narrow definition of the best player in the country, beyond the shenanigans involved in who is selected as the winner and all the bullshit bias involved. In short, I'll happily celebrate if Quinn wins it, until then I just won't invest emotion, time or energy hoping that he does.

Edited by BurntEyes

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

But outside  the rare WR one time CB and Orlando Pace it's always almost always a QB or RB on a top 4 team in the nation.

Top 4 is hardly a requirement but it certainly helps get your hat in the ring. Daniels, Caleb Williams, Lamar, RG3, Johnny Football all won it on good not great teams within the past 15 years. I'd say the rule at this point is more like standout QB or RB on a top 15-20ish team - and it will probably get even more lenient from a team success standpoint now that 12 teams make the playoffs every season. 

4 hours ago, Drifterwood said:

If Ewers wins the Heisman and leads UT to a national championship, there’s an argument. Until then, it’s Colt > Ewers, as far as achievement/impact at UT.

I'm not sure how you see it that way.  Colt took over a loaded roster in 2006, and the team was pretty salty by 2008/2009.  Ewers took over a less salty roster and got to them to the final four teams in his second year.  I'm not sure why you would demand an actual title and the Heisman to place him above Colt when Colt achieved neither.  I'd say if Quinn gets Texas to the title game then he gets the nod, regardless of Heisman results.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

We just had 11 players drafted. 

Good point, but it did seem a bit of an unknown 12 months ago.

At any rate, expecting Quinn to (a) win a Heisman AND (b) win the national title in his 3rd year to just equal Colt's work in 4 years seems a stretch.  (And I'm a huge fan of Colt McCoy.)

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Good point, but it did seem a bit of an unknown 12 months ago.

At any rate, expecting Quinn to (a) win a Heisman AND (b) win the national title in his 3rd year to just equal Colt's work in 4 years seems a stretch.  (And I'm a huge fan of Colt McCoy.)

Quinn was good last year but he lost 2 games and missed 2 others. Colt lost 2 games as a starter combined between 08 and 09 and in one of those didn't even play a full quarter. 

A point in Quinns favor is that he was just a rs soph last season. A point in Colt's favor is that I feel like the coaching staff and roster that Quinn has this year is unlike anything Colt ever had. 

They're going to have very different legacies regardless of what Quinn accomplishes this season. Career wins and stats wise Colt is basically untouchable - and no one holds it against him for not winning a Heisman or national title. He also went 3-1 against the land thieves. 

But - you only get so much credit for "shouldas". A title or Heisman or both for Quinn would be a very material 1upping of Colt that he should get credit for. 

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Quinn was good last year but he lost 2 games and missed 2 others. Colt lost 2 games as a starter combined between 08 and 09 and in one of those didn't even play a full quarter. 

A point in Quinns favor is that he was just a rs soph last season. A point in Colt's favor is that I feel like the coaching staff and roster that Quinn has this year is unlike anything Colt ever had. 

Correct.  Comparing Colt's RS junior and senior seasons to Quinn's RS soph season is a little specious.

I'll say this:  I'm glad they both played here.

Hopefully he won’t be out long

but he has been hurt nearly every year since his junior year in high school. That sucks but MOST of us figured he might miss a game due to his history with injuries.

it sucks but we have the best QB2 in CFB.

we will find a way. 

thank goodness we have La Monroe and Miss St up next instead of OU and Georgia for next two games 

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2024 at 11:32 AM, UncleSonny said:

I wouldn’t downplay Colt’s NFL career either though. It never panned out for him as a starter, but a 12 year NFL career is probably like the top 99% by longevity. 

I think the average number of years in the league for drafted QBs is well under 5. 

Average QB career in NFL is 30 games, regardless if they play or not. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

Whoever was trying to suggest Quinn > Colt 

No.

Love the kid but he can't stay healthy. 

Not yet. But if he wins heisman or gets to final four again, he’ll definitely move above him. 

59 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

What the fuck is a “strained abdomen”

This guy is an athlete. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

If it is just an ab strain, it’ll depend on grade. 

a grade 1 is a week to week injury.  I’d be willing to bet he won’t play next week vs ULM.  Considering Miss St is getting rolled by Toledo and a bye week after that, I’d be prepared for OU to be his first game back. 

a grade 2 can be tricky.  Getting the initial pain out and strength in the area isn’t hard, but working through all the different motions that are affected can be a pain in the ass.  A grade 2 is gonna be somewhere from 3-6 weeks I’d say.  Could be more but with the resources that the AT staff has access too, I can’t imagine it would be more than 6.  

Grade 3 is a full tear and you’re looking at a multitude of different avenues and timeframes. Could also be worried about a hernia here as well. 

Seeing the plays around the time he dropped down and his demeanor the second half, I’m leaning grade 1 with OU probably being 1st game back. 

*again, this is all assuming it’s truly just an ab strain*

I dont know that I like the idea of his first game back being OU. Probably should just roll with Arch against OU and UGA and if Arch goes 2-0 then give him the job. Chinadoll Ewers gets hurt every game it seems. 

• Fuck You 11