Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

He’s turned into a check down machine and defenses have no reason to respect anything beyond 10-15 yards downfield. That says nothing about his horrid pocket awareness where he bizarrely bails on clean pockets to roll into trouble. He’s regressing and it’s quite frightening to watch. 

Perhaps gunshy from continuously getting hurt

Ewers was okay, but we needed a player in the VY/Colt echelon of clutch and that's not Quinn. Never has been, never will be.

Okay? I’d hate to see what you think is bad…
He was bad today (as was the entire offense) but sweet mother Mary of Christ the “Quinn was always bad” takes need to stop. 

He’s not always bad, but he has always been overrated.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Quinn is an above average QB but that’s about where it ends. To be fair to him the guy on the other sideline - who has been talked about in equally high regard at times - was almost as bad as Quinn tonight, difference being a couple of key scrambles.

That said, it’s insane the way Sark is trying to lean on this guy to set up a run game. It’s not going to work against good teams; he’s just not good enough. As bad as the rushing was tonight, it bears point out that 7/29 “rushes” were sacks. Another 3 were scrambles. It’s no accident we all of a sudden looked much better when we ran the ball to start the second half and blew the game open against OU when we started running the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, gurt said:

Okay? I’d hate to see what you think is bad…
He’s not always bad, but he has always been overrated.

He was okay in the 2nd half, during the comeback I mean. A comeback of that magnitude required elite performance and the clutch gene in spades. He was dogshit in the first half, his final stat line was actually respectable.

1 minute ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Quinn is an above average QB but that’s about where it ends. To be fair to him the guy on the other sideline - who has been talked about in equally high regard at times - was almost as bad as Quinn tonight, difference being a couple of key scrambles.

Difference is UGA has a ground game they could lean on in key moments. We have squat in that department. If Ewers is having a bad day we ain't scoring.

25 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Who would draft this guy? Terrible mechanics and folds under pressure 

I pray to eight pound, six ounce, newborn infant Jesus, who doesn't even know the world yet that some GM decides to draft Quinn early... because I want no part of him even considering coming back next season

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

He was okay in the 2nd half, during the comeback I mean. A comeback of that magnitude required elite performance and the clutch gene in spades. He was dogshit in the first half, his final stat line was actually respectable.

Let’s be real about ‘the comeback’… it was a gift of a totally dumb fuck squib kick setting a short field, followed up by int return to the 5 which the offense still tried fucjing up with a sack. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

39 minutes ago, staboner said:

yeah it is what it is

i am just mystified why he isn't stepping up. the pressure is consistently on he edge, one side in particular. 

once he is pressured he's cooked. he has no ability to make plays off schedule. i thought, for a moment in time, when he hit helm on teh scramble for the first TD against Michigan maybe has has picked it up. but alas

he kept running backwards all night whenever pressure came, and UGA’s defense is a little bit bigger and faster than UTSA’s. this is why the all star qb’s from westlake, lake travis, slc, etc are always a coin flip at best. they spend their entire lives playing on the best team, behind the biggest and best o line, surrounded by athlete’s at their physical peak, and with the best coaches in the state. mayfield can’t get any real offers but he has that “fuck you, i’m him” attitude and an apparently great work ethic, and he’s currently one of the better QBs in 2024 nfl. then you have 1.000 rated quinn ewers and he absolutely shrinks under pressure. no racist, but i am so tired of recruiting these types of schools. give me colin simmons and his dincanville boys > these white boy powerhouses all day. 

Edited by Derka

Just now, Derka said:

he kept running backwards all night whenever pressure came, and UGA’s defense is a little bit bigger and faster than UTSA’s. this is why the all star qb’s from westlake, lake travis, slc, etc are always a coin flip at best. they spend their entire lives playing on the best team,  whine the biggest and best o line, surrounded by athlete’s at their physical peak. baker mayfield can’t get any real offers but he has that “fuck you, i’m him” attitude and an apparently great work ethic, and he’s currently one of the better QBs in 2024 nfl. then you have 1.000 rated quinn ewers and he absolutely shrinks under pressure. no racist, but i am so tired of recruiting these types of schools. give me colin simmons and his dincanville boys > these white boy powerhouses all day. 

Garrett Gilbert.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Derka said:

he kept running backwards all night whenever pressure came, and UGA’s defense is a little bit bigger and faster than UTSA’s

Yeah, that is really frustrating... STEP UP in the pocket, don't make it harder for the Oline and step backwards, like WTF man. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

I think Quinn is about roughly 15% of the reason we lost tonight

we lost because georgia is a better team and they won the battle of the trenches, soundly. quinn ewers’ play still inspired zero confidence in anyone, and he straight up choked tonight on the big stage, at home. he was one of our worst players, bar none. his lack of leadership and production was put on full blast tonight. it’s an issue.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

4 minutes ago, Derka said:

he kept running backwards all night whenever pressure came, and UGA’s defense is a little bit bigger and faster than UTSA’s. this is why the all star qb’s from westlake, lake travis, slc, etc are always a coin flip at best. they spend their entire lives playing on the best team,  whine the biggest and best o line, surrounded by athlete’s at their physical peak. baker mayfield can’t get any real offers but he has that “fuck you, i’m him” attitude and an apparently great work ethic, and he’s currently one of the better QBs in 2024 nfl. then you have 1.000 rated quinn ewers and he absolutely shrinks under pressure. no racist, but i am so tired of recruiting these types of schools. give me colin simmons and his dincanville boys > these white boy powerhouses all day. 

Yeah man totally agree those Westlake white boys with their Sugar Bowl MVP (as a 17 pt underdog), multiple Super Bowl MVPs, and greatest kicking record in the history of the sport definitely not bout it bout it.  Just no heart at all. 

If you can't spot the culture difference between WHS and pussy factories like LT/SLC then I dunno what to tell you. 

ANd for the record I know how outrageously lame/pathetic it is to bring "high school smack" into a discussion like this, but we all have our limits on what we can tolerate.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Derka said:

we lost because georgia is a better team and they won the battle of the trenches, soundly. quinn ewers’ play still inspired zero confidence in anyone, and he straight up choked tonight on the big stage, at home. he was one of our worst players, bar none. his lack of leadership and production was put on full blast tonight. it’s an issue.

Quinn can’t block or throw the ball to himself. Sark and the O-line were terrible tonight

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Ewers was okay, but we needed a player in the VY/Colt echelon of clutch and that's not Quinn. Never has been, never will be.

We are in the Simms/Applewhite stage of our rebuild and Arch will be the Vince Young when we win another championship but not until next year or most likely the year after that.  Ewers is on par or slightly better than Simms/Applewhite.  Good college quarterback who can beat teams we are more talented than but against a Georgia level D he shits the bed.   He can win you 10 games but can’t beat the really great teams when it counts because he can’t handle pressure and if his first read is taken away he can barely make it to his second read or he starts to panic and looks like a freshmen starting his first game.  Ewers will win a bunch of the games left on the schedule this year and take us to the playoffs but if we meet a team that can pressure him, we most likely lose.  Arch just isn’t experienced yet but once he is he will be way better than Ewers.

Quinn is a much better college quarterback than whatever he'll be when/if he plays in the NFL. The dude can sling it, but his footwork is terrible and he won't last long in the pros due to physical limitations and some mental blocks that still affect him. The hype with NFL draft and HS recruiting ranking has completely overrated him. 

That said, his NFL expectations have nothing to do with his success playing at The University of Texas. He can still lead us to the playoffs and a possible NC. But Sark needs to do a better job of calling plays to fit his strengths. Zone read and tons of PA are not gonna work against a stout DL.  There is still some hubris that needs to be knocked out of Sark and he needs to adjust quicker in-game. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I got big questions after tonight. Took my time hopping off the bandwagon but I'm just not sold on the dude at this point in the season. There's a number of college QBs that Sark can make into stars with good blocking and a solid run game. Quinn isn't pushing that ceiling unfortunately. And yes his deep ball is not reliable, to say the least. 

Luckily for us there's not a lot of Dline that can whoop out ass like that, but when the time comes to make the playoff, we're going to be praying for "good" Quinn.

• Like 1

Tonight Sark said, "My feeling in the game was I felt Quinn was a little uneasy. I felt like giving him a chance to kind of step back and regroup. I didn't know if we'd get a series or two with Arch depending on how much time was remaining in the half on the clock. So we told Quinn we're going to go with Arch here and give you a chance to get into the locker room. Let's regroup and then come back out in the second half, and so that's what we did.”

This makes me question the mental toughness. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

I got big questions after tonight. Took my time hopping off the bandwagon but I'm just not sold on the dude at this point in the season. There's a number of college QBs that Sark can make into stars with good blocking and a solid run game. Quinn isn't pushing that ceiling unfortunately. And yes his deep ball is not reliable, to say the least. 

Luckily for us there's not a lot of Dline that can whoop out ass like that, but when the time comes to make the playoff, we're going to be praying for "good" Quinn.

Well, step one.

2 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Quinn is a much better college quarterback than whatever he'll be when/if he plays in the NFL. The dude can sling it, but his footwork is terrible and he won't last long in the pros due to physical limitations and some mental blocks that still affect him. The hype with NFL draft and HS recruiting ranking has completely overrated him. 

That said, his NFL expectations have nothing to do with his success playing at The University of Texas. He can still lead us to the playoffs and a possible NC. But Sark needs to do a better job of calling plays to fit his strengths. Zone read and tons of PA are not gonna work against a stout DL.  There is still some hubris that needs to be knocked out of Sark and he needs to adjust quicker in-game. 

if he can, he doesn't really show it. struggles on passes to the side, struggles on the 10-15 yard routes, and let's not even talk about the deep ball.

right now, he would get murdered in the NFL.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I pray to eight pound, six ounce, newborn infant Jesus, who doesn't even know the world yet that some GM decides to draft Quinn early... because I want no part of him even considering coming back next season

Well shit, I hadn’t even considered the possibility of Quinn coming back until reading this post. The night somehow just got worse. Maybe he could transfer back to tOSU.

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Tonight Sark said, "My feeling in the game was I felt Quinn was a little uneasy. I felt like giving him a chance to kind of step back and regroup. I didn't know if we'd get a series or two with Arch depending on how much time was remaining in the half on the clock. So we told Quinn we're going to go with Arch here and give you a chance to get into the locker room. Let's regroup and then come back out in the second half, and so that's what we did.”

Everyone gets the yips. But more importantly, he was hit more in that first half than he had been any time in the previous two seasons. He looked hobbled and gritting through a lot. We may never know the full extent of it, but I don't think it was 100% mental issues in the first half.

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Yeah, that's a serious problem for a 5 star, 3rd year QB who has also started multiple big games.

If he can't get right and be ready at the jump for this game, what is going on?

Just now, naija said:

if he can, he doesn't really show it. struggles on passes to the side, struggles on the 10-15 yard routes, and let's not even talk about the deep ball.

right now, he would get murdered in the NFL.

His struggle with the deep ball is a serious concern, agreed. 

He should be a 2nd day pick at best in the draft, and I've always thought that.  But selfishly as a Texas fan, I don't give a shit if he's good or not in the NFL.  Just win here. I haven't given up on that...yet. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Arch Manning has a much higher ceiling than Quinn Ewers but there's no debating that, if healthy, Quinn Ewers is a better college quarterback on October 19, 2024, than Arch Manning. Whether he matches up better against Georgia's defense is a different question, but rallying from 23 down against an elite defense who lived in your backfield is not the sort of thing freshman QBs can be expected to do.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

He should be a 2nd day pick at best in the draft, and I've always thought that.  But selfishly as a Texas fan, I don't give a shit if he's good or not in the NFL.  Just win here. I haven't given up on that...yet. 

Yeah well in today's NFL QBs who should be 2nd day picks get drafted in the first round all the time. Teams are just so desperate to find the Chosen One.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1