Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Beck just isn’t/wasn’t an accurate thrower of the ball. With that being said, he always seemed to be in control with his pocket movements and mechanics. He was sacked once despite a fair amount of pressure.

His issues are far different than what we saw with Ewers.

Beck’s feet didn’t appear to be stuck in concrete like Quinn’s.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

5 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

You're just wrong. Go listen or watch Paul Wadlington on the IT postgame show. Half the sacks were Quinn self sacks. The Oline was not as bad as half our fans are claiming they were. 

He often had pockets to step into but he wouldn’t. He’d just check down 

• Hook 'Em 5

7 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Those eyes were not stoic, they were scared my man.  Lost.

Huge difference.

Yeah, he is, as a general proposition, stoic.  At times, he seems to be able to instantly forget errors and mistakes and come right back and make a play, not getting carried away with the emotions.

Other times, he just folds in on himself.  Yesterday was one of those times.

So erratic, quite a conundrum.

• Hook 'Em 2

We've got to make the best out of Quinn for the rest of this year. UGA D was on fire last night and it's doubtful any opponent on the rest of regular season schedule can replicate that type of performance. 

So, assuming the O-Line bounces back strong (and I think they will), what do Sark and Quinn need to do? I say let it rip. Open things up and throw the ball down the damn field. He's got to get him in the the mindset of being aggressive. The checkdowns work against lesser competitions, but enough of that shit. Get his eyes looking downfield longer and pull the fucking trigger. I know QE struggles with deep balls, but you can't just let defenses feel comfortable playing everything within 20-30 yards of LOS. 

The reward is absolutely worth the risk.

• Hook 'Em 6

6 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Did he not have these things? Where exactly is the lie? The guy I’m responding to said Quinn made no good throws all game

He sacked himself and didn’t step up or evade anything. It was horrible. He looked like a true freshman scared to get hit and unsure what to do when pressure came. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

You're just wrong. Go listen or watch Paul Wadlington on the IT postgame show. Half the sacks were Quinn self sacks. The Oline was not as bad as half our fans are claiming they were. 

I'll go down on this ship with you. I saw the same thing. 

The long pass being lower than normal percentage with Ewers generally means we waste a down. 2cd and ten sucks. Second and 7 or 8 makes running the ball a better option. Sometimes, you even get a second and 5 or 4.

I fault Sark for dedication to his passing schemes even when we're not executing them well. After a shaky start with the passing game, we should have stuck to short pass and run for awhile. We do that pretty well and a drive isn't dependent on the success of the one great play. I'm an idiot in analysing this, but I do wonder if our poor execution of special plays early on is a reflection of us not being settled into the game yet. 

Hold off on the killer plays for a little bit.

Ewers was the weak link tonight. I hate writing that.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Thatguy said:

I said the people who dislike a guy have been swallowing their hate and pretending to be on board since 2022, just waiting for their chance to "I told you so" as soon as there was a crack in the armor. 

Better to pretend the armor is not cracked. Its perfect. Ignore the the argument, just dispute the person instead. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What I saw: Ewers did not step up and was in auto-check-down mode.  That made the OL look a little worse than it was.  All of that has already been said.

Also, I think that Wisner's drop was huge.  If caught, that's a TD and totally changes the complexion of the game.  O gets more confidence, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Is he being coached not to step up in the pocket or take the occasional 3-4 yard gain with is feet?

It is hard to explain. Ewers looked amazing vs Michigan. That was mostly his pocket presence and footwork. He has come back and completely reverted to freshman Quinn or as Rod B says “Mullet Quinn”. Vandy might be Quinn’s last stand. I never thought I would say that coming into the season 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

We've got to make the best out of Quinn for the rest of this year. UGA D was on fire last night and it's doubtful any opponent on the rest of regular season schedule can replicate that type of performance. 

So, assuming the O-Line bounces back strong (and I think they will), what do Sark and Quinn need to do? I say let it rip. Open things up and throw the ball down the damn field. He's got to get him in the the mindset of being aggressive. The checkdowns work against lesser competitions, but enough of that shit. Get his eyes looking downfield longer and pull the fucking trigger. I know QE struggles with deep balls, but you can't just let defenses feel comfortable playing everything within 20-30 yards of LOS. 

I don't think Quinn will be able to bounce back by the end of the year and the OL isn't going to do enough to make him comfortable sitting in the pocket to play his style of ball.

I'm not worried about Sark letting the team go as Quinn goes anymore, and I like Quinn when he's loose and confident. 

I really don't like Quinn when he has to think and make plays on the fly. Another issue is Quinn is probably right under 6'2 and has a side arm throwing motion, so stepping into the pocket makes it harder for him to see and easier for him to have his passes knocked down. 

Arch is taller, stronger, more elusive, but doesn't see the field as well as we've seen Quinn do at times. His short passes are also suspect at times. Arch is a playmaker though.

All in all, if we can get steady, efficient, high level of execution Quinn then he's our guy. 

If not, then we should move on to the future.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

If his obliques are still injured then he can't throw the long ball. We need Arch to play the rest of the season until Quinn is fully healed because check down city won't win playoff games. And there were also accuracy issues in mid throws.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Sanders would have died last night back there.

Sanders played under insane pressure rate. He took 50+ sacks last season and on that same pace this season and still completing 70%+ in spite of it. 

For a Ewers as a guy supposedly all-world, Heisman leading , draft QB1, its disappointing to even to have be discussing these basic shortcomings in his 3rd starting season. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Hard to comprehend how it has regressed this badly this fast. The competition level doesn’t dictate many baseline things you should be seeing game after game that Ewers showed through the first 3 games this year and really most of last year.

A lot of what he has put on film the last two weeks is worse than some of his freshman year stuff.

Georgia should have easily picked him off at least 2 more times in the 4th quarter. The second half was no better than the first half for him regardless of some stat padding.

Ewers has definitely lost his way... he's been under pressure most of his life to be "The One".  Wish he could find his way back to just "playing the game". 

At times he seems like he has PTSD out there.   Like Junuh...

Sometimes I think this may be true, but then it makes no sense they don't turn to an uninjured Arch longer. 
Everything QE did against Michigan didn't happen last night.  I think it's because Michigan was Ina zone defense most of the entire night so Quinn knew easily where rhey play was supposed to go. OU and GA mixing up man and zone mid play seems to be confusing the hell out of ewers who I thought as a third year starter would not be happening as badly as it has been. 

Michigan is about to be completely out of the top 25. So there’s that.

40 minutes ago, SameSame said:

His pocket awareness is low.   He looks like he's trying so hard to stay cool that he has slammed the gear shift into first gear and his brain is processing slowly.

Yeah, Ewers looked shell shocked... gotta believe the team feels it to.  When your leader is not right, it's harder to have success.

1 hour ago, B00M said:

He often had pockets to step into but he wouldn’t. He’d just check down 

I could be mistaken but on the sack that Banks gave up close to our endzone, the one where he basically man handled the guy to the ground, Ewers had plenty of room to step up in the pocket. I thought Banks looked shocked Ewers was still that deep in the pocket. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Levi said:

I could be mistaken but on the sack that Banks gave up close to our endzone, the one where he basically man handled the guy to the ground, Ewers had plenty of room to step up in the pocket. I thought Banks looked shocked Ewers was still that deep in the pocket. 

Pretty much. It was the most pathetic moment of Quinn's night. He got sacked by a guy on the fucking ground.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, CurlyDumps said:

Pretty much. It was the most pathetic moment of Quinn's night. He got sacked by a guy on the fucking ground.

Was that the one where he fell to all fours, looking like a newborn deer, then just plopped his elbow on the ground to actually be down?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

30 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Ewers looked amazing vs Michigan.

Quinn looked good but I wouldn’t call it “amazing” against Michigan. There were guys wide open across the middle he wasn’t even seeing. He was doing this during the OU game too. It’s a recurring problem and it hasn’t been fixed by year 3. It’s constant under/overthrows, missing wide open reads, locking into receivers and terrible footwork. We’re nearly 30 starts in and we’re still talking about footwork and progressions. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Quinn was seeing ghosts. 2 weeks in a row. Dude has some serious anxiety issues or something bc he has fucking melted. Cannot push the ball downfield and you aren’t going to dink and dunk on Georgia and expect success. Too many check downs bails out of the pocket too much. If it’s not a mesh route or a check down he is fucked right now. He was the singular reason for the loss. 

31 minutes ago, WBT said:

For people complaining about the checkdowns, how many sack fumbles lost did you want?  I thought the two from Quinn and one from Arch were plenty.

Some of the best throws he made were into single coverage to Gunner Helm and Ryan Wingo on the deep curl. We needed more of that to stretch the field but if they are reinjuring him then there isn't much hope that they will be accurate or worse intercepted.

It's not that it was a bad decision to check down just that we needed a 110% game against Georgia.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Better to pretend the armor is not cracked. Its perfect. Ignore the the argument, just dispute the person instead. 

The running game is the problem not the QB. We had 29 rushing yards but the usual suspects came in here blaming the guy we were asking to stare down a legit pass rush in long yardage situations repeatedly. Make it make sense. 

Right now Quinn looks like someone woke him up in May in the middle of the night and said "Quick, go play football right now". Everything is off. Balance, footwork, timing. His deep ball has never been good but he's throwing ducks downfield. 

It's hard to believe Sark would put him out there if the injury is causing this. Something isn't adding up.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

His inability to throws an accurate ball 25+ yards downfield will always baffle me. Georgia last night cut off his short reads so he had to go into the flats where we aren’t fast or big enough to beat Georgia or throw accurately 25 yards. They know and we know he can’t do it. 

He could've been the most accurate deep ball thrower in the history of the game and it wouldn't have mattered. He never had enough time for those long routes to develop. 

Just now, The Ace of Aces said:

His inability to throws an accurate ball 25+ yards downfield will always baffle me. Georgia last night cut off his short reads so he had to go into the flats where we aren’t fast or big enough to beat Georgia or throw accurately 25 yards. They know and we know he can’t do it. 

Is it the yips or some shit? Dude seems to awkwardly finesse every throw and never just rips it. 

• Rage+1 1