Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

I could be mistaken but on the sack that Banks gave up close to our endzone, the one where he basically man handled the guy to the ground, Ewers had plenty of room to step up in the pocket. I thought Banks looked shocked Ewers was still that deep in the pocket. 

Yeah, banks will get the blame, but Ewers was as deep as a punter on that.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Is it the yips or some shit? Dude seems to awkwardly finesse every throw and never just rips it. 

It's the injury (finger or obliques we do not know the exact injury moment) the very first throw he made after that during UTSA sailed into the stands it seemed. You can't have injured a core muscle and expect tour QB to let it rip.

The running game is the problem not the QB. We had 29 rushing yards but the usual suspects came in here blaming the guy we were asking to stare down a legit pass rush in long yardage situations repeatedly. Make it make sense. 

Fuck that. The coach says those short quick throws are an extension of the run game. They could have trotted out the freshman to pound the ball some. They could have tried a different look here and there. They could have not ran 2 te and tried to run up the middle.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Beck evaded pressure, made a few good downfield throws, and ran/scrambled a few times.
Ewers was so fucking bad he absolutely got outplayed by Beck who had 175 yards on 41 attempts and 3 INTs.
Did Ewers even one time step up or roll out and make a play? Every single time pressure got near him, play was over. 

He panicked when he threw a couple away too.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He could've been the most accurate deep ball thrower in the history of the game and it wouldn't have mattered. He never had enough time for those long routes to develop. 

Well they got a rush with 3 and 4 guys early which sped up Ewers’ mind and then brought the house to total annihilate him mentally. Once his feet get off he can never get them back - hence all the back foot ducks  

The real issue is A&M has the personnel to do the same thing and that’s in an environment that’ll be … wild. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Bench him. The Ewers era is over

Now is the time if they're gonna do it. Vandy is salty but Arch should still be able to win that game. Then you have a bye week to get him better prepared for remaining games. 

I've been fully on "start Quinn, save Arch for next year" bandwagon, but if Ewers is still hurt it's malpractice to keep trotting him out there.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Now is the time if they're gonna do it. Vandy is salty but Arch should still be able to win that game. Then you have a bye week to get him better prepared for remaining games. 

I've been fully on "start Quinn, save Arch for next year" bandwagon, but if Ewers is still hurt it's malpractice to keep trotting him out there.

At this point it doesn’t matter if he’s hurt. If a defense shows him something pre-snap then actually plays something else post-snap, he checks down. If the team can tackle our dude, it’s a wasted down. When he does actually see the open receiver down field, he throws the ball like shit. It seems like all he’s giving us over arch is a better understanding of sark’s screens, but we only tried one(?!) screen last night and UGA recognized it immediately and blew it up. 

From The Athletic:

Steve Sarkisian created Texas QB controversy with Arch Manning, even if he says he didn’t

AUSTIN, Texas — On Thursday, on the eve of a heavyweight clash between No. 1 Texas and No. 5 Georgia, Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian was asked what it would take for him to change quarterbacks mid-game from Quinn Ewers to Arch Manning. The coach quickly dismissed the question, saying, “I’m not even going to answer that. I don’t know what the question is.”

Two days later, we got an answer that is suddenly the new headline of Texas’ season.

Sarkisian pulled Ewers for Manning late in the first half of Saturday’s loss to the Bulldogs, trailing 20-0 in what became a 30-15 final score. Manning closed the first half with two drives. And while Sarkisian went back to Ewers to open the second half and Ewers played better as Texas made the final score respectable, the coach opened up a can of worms he was long desperate to avoid.

Georgia knocks off Texas to restake claim to SEC front-runner status

“Quinn’s our starting quarterback,” Sarkisian said after the game.

He can say that to the media and the fans, but there’s no putting this genie back in the bottle now. It’s a quarterback controversy, however you want to define it. It’s an unexpected wrench thrown into what was until Saturday a perfect season for Texas. Fans who already wanted Manning to play now know it’s possible he can come in when Ewers doesn’t play well.

Sarkisian has always been a staunch defender of Ewers from the moment he arrived on campus and to this point had handled the quarterback situation as well as humanly possible. He was well aware of what pulling Ewers for the highly touted Manning for non-injury reasons would mean for the attention on this team. But the door has been opened now, and it’ll stay there for the rest of the season.

It’s been almost impossible for Texas and Sarkisian to keep the Arch hype at bay because it’s everywhere. Walk around a Texas game this year and you see far more fans in Manning jerseys than Ewers. The No. 16 jerseys and shirts are prominently positioned in the team stores around the Darrel K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. Fans at every game ask each other if they’ll see Peyton and Eli Manning’s nephew get into the game. Poor Ewers got a Dr. Pepper commercial but the entire premise was having a backup.

I wrote after Texas’ win at Michigan that Ewers deserved more respect and it was time to stop the Arch questions while Ewers was still in the burnt orange. It was Ewers who brought Texas back to prominence. But then Ewers injured his oblique, missed two games and hasn’t been the same in the two games back. He threw for 17 yards with two turnovers in the first half Saturday before getting benched.

When Manning entered the game Saturday facing a 20-0 deficit, the roar of the crowd was enormous.

“I felt Quinn was a little uneasy, and I felt like giving him a chance to step back and regroup,” Sarkisian said, explaining the change. “I didn’t know if we’d get a series or two with Arch, depending on how much time was remaining in the half, so we just told Quinn we’re going to go with Arch here, give you a chance to get in the locker room, regroup and then come back out in the second half, so that’s what we did.”

But Ewers told reporters after the game that he wasn’t told he would go back in the game until he was in the locker room at halftime.

“(Coaches said) they’re going to give Arch a shot and just give me time to settle down,” Ewers said.

Manning briefly gave Texas a spark. The ball came out of his hand with more quickness and zip than Ewers. He completed three of six passes, scrambled for a 21-yard gain and his mobility was clearly an asset. But he took a bad sack for an 11-yard loss, then took another sack and fumbled the ball away, leading to a Georgia field goal and a 23-0 halftime lead.

It was a reminder that the hyped Manning still has some growing to do on the field, like when he threw two interceptions and completed barely half of his passes against Louisiana-Monroe, before playing much better against Mississippi State.

Ewers started the second half and quickly drove Texas down for a touchdown, putting a jolt in the crowd. When a bizarrely overturned pass interference interception put Texas on the doorstop, Ewers threw a second touchdown pass and pulled the Longhorns within one score at 23-15.

UGA's Smart on overturned pass interference call: 'They tried to rob us'

“I felt (the change) was effective, and Quinn came out and played a much better second half and played well in the third quarter,” Sarkisian said.

“I just settled down and wasn’t trying to make the play and just kept playing,” Ewers said.

He played better, but not well enough to lead a comeback and put the benching out of our minds. He finished 25-for-43 passing for 211 yards, with two touchdowns and one interception.

Ewers has typically played well in Texas’ biggest games, like twice against Alabama, the Big 12 championship against Oklahoma State, the playoff game against Washington and the trip to Michigan earlier this year. Post-injury, he struggled early against Oklahoma last week and was as bad as he’s ever looked in the first half against Georgia.

Asked if the oblique injury was still bothering him, Ewers said he feels it a little bit but it might just be a mental hurdle.

“But that’s just how injuries go,” he said.

Sarkisian can say he just wanted to settle Ewers down, but he wouldn’t have made a change if he didn’t think Manning gave them a shot to come back. Texas’ defense played well, allowing just 283 total yards and 4.0 yards per play. If Texas could just get something going on offense and stop turning the ball over in bad spots, they’d have had a chance to win the game and stay undefeated. That’s why he took the risk of the QB change. It didn’t work.

It’s a loss that completely opens up the SEC race again. No SEC team is undefeated entering November for the first time since 2007. Only Texas A&M and LSU are undefeated in conference play and they play each other next week.

College Football Playoff 2024 projections: Oregon, Miami, Georgia on top of bracket

Texas is still good enough to win a national championship. Sarkisian knows that. Maybe in the end, the brief benching is the motivation for Ewers to fix things on the field and take the Longhorns to the top. Asked if he was ready to get more Arch questions moving forward, Ewers scoffed and chuckled and said, “I don’t know.”

Every Texas game moving forward will open with the possibility Manning could come in if Ewers doesn’t play well. For a year and a half, Sarkisian had expertly avoided that. Now he’s opened it. In a season with sky-high expectations on a program that always has eyes on it, an unexpected giant question mark has just appeared.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Quinn looked good but I wouldn’t call it “amazing” against Michigan. There were guys wide open across the middle he wasn’t even seeing. He was doing this during the OU game too. It’s a recurring problem and it hasn’t been fixed by year 3. It’s constant under/overthrows, missing wide open reads, locking into receivers and terrible footwork. We’re nearly 30 starts in and we’re still talking about footwork and progressions. 

His pocket presence was on pt. Threw some great balls with pressure. It’s Ok to give Quinn credit for his good and bad. I was highlighting  the insane volatility in Quinn’s game. He can look great and right now he has been a below average College QB for 2 games 

The running game is the problem not the QB. We had 29 rushing yards but the usual suspects came in here blaming the guy we were asking to stare down a legit pass rush in long yardage situations repeatedly. Make it make sense. 

So you honestly don’t think ewers was at least PART of the problem? Sounds like you’re the one with a slanted bias.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

From The Athletic:

Steve Sarkisian created Texas QB controversy with Arch Manning, even if he says he didn’t

That strikes me as just bullshit.  Arch didn't exactly light it up in his brief stint yesterday.

We kinda know what we have with both of them, to the extent you can know anything about which Ewers is going to show up.

Arch got his run while Ewers was legit injured and showed a lot of promise, but also some limitations and inexperience.

He's a viable backup when Quinn shits the bed.  He's not a panacea for all that ills the offense.

I'm not going to demand Arch start, but I'm ready for whenever it happens, including accepting some inexperienced wtf moments.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That strikes me as just bullshit.  Arch didn't exactly light it up in his brief stint yesterday.

We kinda know what we have with both of them, to the extent you can know anything about which Ewers is going to show up.

Arch got his run while Ewers was legit injured and showed a lot of promise, but also some limitations and inexperience.

He's a viable backup when Quinn shits the bed.  He's not a panacea for all that ills the offense.

I'm not going to demand Arch start, but I'm ready for whenever it happens, including accepting some inexperienced wtf moments.

The headline might be a little misleading as headlines sometimes are. I don’t disagree with the premise, though. Sark had to know how it was going to play if he removed a clearly struggling Ewers and put in Arch as this is not your usual QB situation. There was a connection to the Hurts-Tua situation at Bama a few seasons back but that doesn’t even approach this situation because of Arch’s last name.

Sark probably tamped things down a bit by going back to Ewers and not getting blown out in the second half but, man, we all have eyes and Ewers is clearly not playing well. Is it injury or is it timidity? It will be interesting to see where this goes from here. I could see Texas run the table through end of regular season and I could also see us lose 2-3 of our final games. I’m not weighing in on whether I think it’s time to turn things over to Arch or not, but I will extremely disappointed if he doesn’t get meaningful snaps in every game moving forward. Ewers’ injury history essentially demands it.

• Hook 'Em 3

53 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I think he's still not right. Whatever took him out is still a thing. 

Ever year when he can’t hit passes it’s he’s still hurt excuses…. How about he just sucks at throwing the ball down field?  The numbers don’t lie, he has never been actually good at throwing the ball down field minus a few here and there that hit their target his downfield percentage is terrible.  He throws a great screen pass though…

Edited by Hook1997

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Bobby

There’s a lot to digest from last night.

- We could spend all day dissecting what went wrong in pass protection for the Horns.

- The Longhorn offensive line was clearly overwhelmed way too often.

- Yet Quinn Ewers did his teammates no favors.

In the face of a legit pass rush, Ewers folded as easily as a piece of paper in a book.

- He repeatedly bailed backwards instead of stepping into the pocket.

In doing so, Ewers gave the Georgia pass rushers an even larger target. Georgia could use the wide pass rush and therefore make the Texas OTs protect more space.

The Georgia DL did NOT need more space to operate. That space also gave Georgia edges an easier two-way go.

- Ewers is also not recognizing hot reads quickly or getting the ball out with the right amount of urgency. Last night, he too often tried to quarterback like it was a game of 7-on-7, not tackle football.

It’s a problem we saw against Oklahoma, too. An unwillingness to step into throws is an unwillingness to be hit. Football is a contact sport.

- In sum, Ewers’ overall lack of pocket presence and inconsistent footwork gave the Texas offense very little chance of success, especially in the face of a highly effective pass rush.

Texas needed Ewers to step up. He didn’t.

Ewers is perilously close to losing his starting job if performances like these in the face of adversity continue.

He turned the ball over three times last night. It easily could have been five or six.

- Things are never as good or as bad as they seem.

The Texas offense can rebound. But Ewers needs to become a quarterback, not just an operator that requires a clean pocket to succeed.

This will not be his last poor performance or the last loss for the Horns, otherwise.

Pretty damning indictment from Bobby who is usually pretty measured in his posts. Openly wondering when Ewers is getting benched is pretty remarkable. 

• Hook 'Em 5

19 minutes ago, gurt said:

So you honestly don’t think ewers was at least PART of the problem? Sounds like you’re the one with a slanted bias.

People on this board have a hard time processing what they are seeing. Georgia was playing on our side of the LOS on both sides of the ball. I think when people have the benefit of a rewatch they will see how the pocket was being constricted both on the edges AND in the center. I think Ewers didn't play well, but I think that most if not all QB aren't going to play well in the situation he was in. People here expect a QB to play well no matter what and that's just not how it is. Good defenses affect how a QB plays, and they did just that. That is why Manning looked he exact same way when he went in there.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hook1997 said:

Ever year when he can’t hit passes it’s he’s still hurt excuses…. How about he just sucks at throwing the ball down field?  The numbers don’t lie, he has never been actually good at throwing the ball down field minus a few here and there that hit their target his downfield percentage is terrible.  

Even if it’s an injury he’s perpetually injured it’s what he is at this point. 

25 minutes ago, TheFlagship said:

The blindside hit he took on the corner blitz 100% rattled him. He played extremely scared after that IMO. I still believe in his talent, but ultimately 75% of football is about toughness and I think he might be Charmin. Hope he proves me wrong.

He was in a fragile state of mind throughout all of OU and UGA, ridiculously so in the first half of OU. Certainly the blindside sack rattled him but only because of his fragility. It only exacerbated the state of mind that was already there. Totally unacceptable for a third year starter playing D1 football, not the game pattycake. Having said that, I'd have liked to see the OL match UGA's intensity and play with some pride and backbone. Horrible timing for them to play like that.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Thatguy said:

People on this board have a hard time processing what they are seeing. Georgia was playing on our side of the LOS on both sides of the ball. I think when people have the benefit of a rewatch they will see how the pocket was being constricted both on the edges AND in the center. I think Ewers didn't play well, but I think that most if not all QB aren't going to play well in the situation he was in. People here expect a QB to play well no matter what and that's just not how it is. Good defenses affect how a QB plays, and they did just that. That is why Manning looked he exact same way when he went in there.

Manning didn’t look the same though. He broke through their pass rush and had our longest run of the game and then he actually attempted to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field. Ewers did the OL zero favors last night with his terrible pocket presence and lack of urgency getting rid of the ball. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SarksJuggs said:

Manning didn’t look the same though. He broke through their pass rush and had our longest run of the game and then he actually attempted to throw the ball more than 5 yards down field. Ewers did the OL zero favors last night with his terrible pocket presence and lack of urgency getting rid of the ball. 

Manning looked worse. Which is why Sark went back to Ewers.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

Well, a more viable running game would certainly help take some pressure off the QB and would be desirable in any case.  But the run game and the QB can be problems at the same time.

I generally like your takes quite a lot.  But I don't think people have really been lying in wait to shit on Ewers.  For a variety of reasons, some internal or inherent to him and some not, here in his third year, he's not living up to expectations.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, a more viable running game would certainly help take some pressure off the QB and would be desirable in any case.  But the run game and the QB can be problems at the same time.

If someone takes away your run game by bringing numbers that you can't account for and the QB doesnt play well blame the QB. However, if someone takes away your running game to the tune of 29 yards while playing a light box your QB is going to have a long day.

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

Here’s the play where Ewers should have stepped up in the pocket. 

So bad. What’s maddening is that he was routinely climbing the pocket during the Michigan game with great success. His refusal to do so the last two games strongly suggests that he’s playing to not get hit. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

Manning looked like what you would expect being thrown into the game.  Ewers looked like he did his first year which is the problem.  

I think if we are going to have a shot at beating Georgia in a rematch or even aTm, then Manning should start now.  Sucks for Quinn but it’s a brutal sport and doesn’t get easier at the next level.

5 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Arch came in and had the exact same issues as Quinn. He took a terrible sack and then turned the ball over leading directly to points for them. I'm not sure how it can be argued that he was the "for sure" better option.

arch gained more yards on one scramble than QE did in the entire first half. he also has a pocket presence that QE doesn’t have, and he doesn’t exude “defeated loser” whenever he gets tackled. he also wasn’t constantly sprinting backwards every time there was a pass rush. and he’s a better qb than quinn ewers. but other than that i see your point.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Hornsome said:

Manning looked like what you would expect being thrown into the game.  Ewers looked like he did his first year which is the problem.  

I think if we are going to have a shot at beating Georgia in a rematch or even aTm, then Manning should start now.  Sucks for Quinn but it’s a brutal sport and doesn’t get easier at the next level.

Quinn looked like he didn't want to get hit.

I really don't think Sark will make a change at QB1 unless we lose.

4 minutes ago, RichUT said:

So bad. What’s maddening is that he was routinely climbing the pocket during the Michigan game with great success. His refusal to do so the last two games strongly suggests that he’s playing to not get hit. 

This, right here. He had no priblem stepping up into the pocket before the injury but now he's playing scared. He essentially self sacked on that one, step up in the pocket. 

Edited by FOXHOUND
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1