Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, Levi said:

Here’s the play where Ewers should have stepped up in the pocket. 

Look at the initial rush. LG gets pushed back 5 yards off the LOS. Quinn feels that and moves back and right. It's hard FOR ME to fault a QB when the d-line pushes the LOS 5 yards into the backfield.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

34 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

- In sum, Ewers’ overall lack of pocket presence and inconsistent footwork gave the Texas offense very little chance of success,

but derka, we all crushed you for making these exact same criticisms of quinn throughout his entire career.

yes, yes y’all did. welcome to reality.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Look at the initial rush. LG gets pushed back 5 yards off the LOS. Quinn feels that and moves back and right. It's hard FOR ME to fault a QB when the d-line pushes the LOS 5 yards into the backfield.

Connor basically stone walls him by the time Ewers is done with his drop back. He’s honestly barely reacting to what you’re saying. 

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That strikes me as just bullshit.  Arch didn't exactly light it up in his brief stint yesterday.

We kinda know what we have with both of them, to the extent you can know anything about which Ewers is going to show up.

Arch got his run while Ewers was legit injured and showed a lot of promise, but also some limitations and inexperience.

He's a viable backup when Quinn shits the bed.  He's not a panacea for all that ills the offense.

I'm not going to demand Arch start, but I'm ready for whenever it happens, including accepting some inexperienced wtf moments.

It strikes me as quite accurate. Sark was able to spin the situation with hindsight bias. But Quinn could have lost his job last night if Arch came in and played well.

This isn't 2022. Sark isn't going to sacrifice wins for QB development. We can all stop insisting Sark won't bench Ewers, because he did it, and next time it could be permanent.

I see quality quarterbacks do things all the time to combat a heavy rush. Not saying it’s easy but sometimes you get a pash rush. Ewers did none of those that I recall.

I like Quinn. But until he shows that he can get it done in tough circumstances I’m going to continue to believe he can’t. So we wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

LOL, you serious? If Ewers has to have some massive, perfectly clean pocket to make plays we are in deep trouble. If he steps up, like he should, he has almost 5 seconds to make a play. That play is all on Quinn.

20 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Ha! Wow!

Look at good QBs in the NFL and how they move in the pocket.

Even NFL Bryce Young thinks Quinn had horrible pocket presence last night.

7 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

LOL what? No he didn’t get pushed back five yards. After every snap the line sets back into their blocking stance which is always a few yards behind the line. He then squares up and stoned the rusher and even drives him back. The LG did his job on this play. Banks drives his man way back into the backfield and pushes him to the ground. Banks was probably shocked to see his man somehow got Ewers to the ground. 

9 minutes ago, Levi said:

Connor basically stone walls him by the time Ewers is done with his drop back. He’s honestly barely reacting to what you’re saying. 

Ball is 1 yard past the solid white on snap and Connor ends up with his feet exactly 5 yards back from the original LOS. He and Banks at one point are almost touching. Ewers slides away from that. Then Connor regains control but this is after QE has already moved. It's hard to"feel" that the pocket has been moved right of the original but still intact.

28 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

He had a clean pocket to step up into and a lane to run for a big gain to the left…. 100% on him.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, mannewers said:

LOL, you serious? If Ewers has to have some massive, perfectly clean pocket to make plays we are in deep trouble. If he steps up, like he should, he has almost 5 seconds to make a play. That play is all on Quinn.

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Ha! Wow!

Look at good QBs in the NFL and how they move in the pocket.

Even NFL Bryce Young thinks Quinn had horrible pocket presence last night.

What's funny about this board is you guys say things like "Ewers moved around in the pocket well against Michigan and Bama. I wonder what the issue is". Then when someone points it out yall are like Nah. Lol. It's fine. Ewers will be back slinging it around and y'all will be sitting and waiting until the next time a Georgia comes along.

7 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I see quality quarterbacks do things all the time to combat a heavy rush. Not saying it’s easy but sometimes you get a pash rush. Ewers did none of those that I recall.

I like Quinn. But until he shows that he can get it done in tough circumstances I’m going to continue to believe he can’t. So we wait.

Tough circumstances like Tuscaloosa last year?

My goodness I’m as upset about last night as anyone but the hyperbole in this thread (not just the post I’m quoting) is a bit out of hand.  Quinn has come through in big games many times including going to Bama and beating the shit out of Saban so bad he had to retire. Actually, that’s what makes it MORE frustrating. We’ve seen him get it done in tough spots before but last night he completely wilted. 

@Thatguy

Just because you think you've done something, doesn't mean you've actually done that thing. LG Conner absorbed the initial blow in his pass set and eventually won the rep. Quinn didn't need to be 7 yards behind him to avoid that pressure. LT Banks reroutes his guy way around, giving Quinn more time to react and make a throw or buy time in the pocket. There are no other immediate threats. Quinn drops way back and his feet get stuck in quicksand. By the time he starts to remember to step up into the pocket, his feet are clipped by the guy Banks successfully blocked.

I'm sure there are situations where Quinn was not to blame, but that was not one of them.

Quinn was blamed for doing too much in his first two games, post-injury, he isn't doing nearly enough back there.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What's funny about this board is you guys say things like "Ewers moved around in the pocket well against Michigan and Bama....Ewers will be back slinging it around and y'all will be sitting and waiting until the next time a Georgia comes along.

"You see, Quinn's problem isn't pocket awareness, it's his inconsistency.

Gotcha, haters!"

10 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Ball is 1 yard past the solid white on snap and Connor ends up with his feet exactly 5 yards back from the original LOS. He and Banks at one point are almost touching. Ewers slides away from that. Then Connor regains control but this is after QE has already moved. It's hard to"feel" that the pocket has been moved right of the original but still intact.

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

What's funny about this board is you guys say things like "Ewers moved around in the pocket well against Michigan and Bama. I wonder what the issue is". Then when someone points it out yall are like Nah. Lol. It's fine. Ewers will be back slinging it around and y'all will be sitting and waiting until the next time a Georgia comes along.

You can’t be coming in here spewing no one knows what they’re talking about, and then comment like this on a video that is so obvious of Ewers having bad pocket presence. You do realize you can maneuver the pocket multiple times in one play, right? This is a drill they probably do religiously in practice. Drop back, slide right or left, and step up. I’m sure there are videos of Ewers doing all he can in the pocket to avoid the rush last night but this isn’t one of those. 

• Hook 'Em 4

I'm sorry but that loss was pretty embarrassing, especially after being ranked #1. That was our first real game and OU doesn't count because they suck. Georgia didn't even play well last night and it was so frustrating how Carson can throw ints and we can't even capitalize on it. Just brutal stuff. Arch needed to be put in earlier, because at the rate we were going, it wouldn't have even mattered. The one thing that really gets me mad about Quinn is he always has this confused, nervous look on his face. Does he not know whats going on? Like come on man. Jesus Christ. It's just sad.

• Hook 'Em 3

45 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Dude this is absolutely bullshit. The fact you can still try to spin this after watching that complete lack of stepping up is hilarious. Clown shit

• Hook 'Em 3

38 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

LOL what? No he didn’t get pushed back five yards. After every snap the line sets back into their blocking stance which is always a few yards behind the line. He then squares up and stoned the rusher and even drives him back. The LG did his job on this play. Banks drives his man way back into the backfield and pushes him to the ground. Banks was probably shocked to see his man somehow got Ewers to the ground. 

Banks was clearly pissed off that Quinn was still back there

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

You’re either blind, or you just want to argue with everyone today.

You’re flat out wrong is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

People on this board have a hard time processing what they are seeing. Georgia was playing on our side of the LOS on both sides of the ball. I think when people have the benefit of a rewatch they will see how the pocket was being constricted both on the edges AND in the center. I think Ewers didn't play well, but I think that most if not all QB aren't going to play well in the situation he was in. People here expect a QB to play well no matter what and that's just not how it is. Good defenses affect how a QB plays, and they did just that. That is why Manning looked he exact same way when he went in there.

Do you think Ewers throws a good down field pass, not 60 yarders but 15-30 ? it seems the last few years he habitually misses passes downfield . It seems a lot of people were blaming his receivers the last two years. He is Avery good qb when healthy , I think his weakness is his mobility and lack of downfield accuracy. 

2 minutes ago, Farmerted said:

Do you think Ewers throws a good down field pass, not 60 yarders but 15-30 ? it seems the last few years he habitually misses passes downfield . It seems a lot of people were blaming his receivers the last two years. He is Avery good qb when healthy , I think his weakness is his mobility and lack of downfield accuracy. 

my mind might be slipping, but i feel as though he had a decent deep ball up till early/mid last year.  then something changed.  

wonder if he ever recovered from last years injury.  

Manning looked worse. Which is why Sark went back to Ewers.

LOL, Manning got two drives — and even though they didn’t result in points were every bit as “good” as any Ewers had in the first half. 

1 hour ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Manning came in cold in his first big game of his college career though and Texas moved from the 25 to the 48 and from the 20 to the GA 48.

Ewers prior 5 possessions in reverse order: -4 yds, 5 yd (threw INT),  -7, 8 (Fumbled), 1 yd

Not sure they are equal either

And this.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

my mind might be slipping, but i feel as though he had a decent deep ball up till early/mid last year.  then something changed.  

His “deep” ball consists of him throwing up moon shots and hoping somebody can adjust and run underneath them — see Bama last year and I think Michigan this year. The prayer toss he threw up in the second half to get off the goal line looked like a “P-for-K” toss in a backyard flag football game. It had the trajectory of a punt. That isn’t good. He does not “have all the throws” like Sark has said.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, Farmerted said:

He is accurate on short to intermediate throws. He has struggled on deep throws but we really only ever threw deep with Worthy so hard to say on that. He and Worthy never had a good connection. He was bad last game on anything. This game he didn't miss a whole bunch of throws like last game.

14 minutes ago, FORTY NINE TO ZERO said:

It’s never been great. He hit two vs Bama but neither one was really put on the WR with purpose. It was thrown high and the WR’s tracked the ball down. That can work when there is enough separation, but I can’t think of many downfield throws where Quinn was intentional with ball placement and pass trajectory the way that Arch has done several times this year already (three times alone vs Miss St). Maybe there was one to X against UH before he got hurt. The best one this year was the throw to Bond on the first drive against Michigan. 

He really seems to have no feel for it. A lot of his challenges boil down to poor mechanics, but an overwhelming majority of his deep shots are put up early and thrown like he’s just guessing where the ball needs to get to in order for the WR to have a chance to catch it. 

Edited by RichUT
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Dude this is absolutely bullshit. The fact you can still try to spin this after watching that complete lack of stepping up is hilarious. Clown shit

Quoted for accuracy.

Some people don't understand how the pocket of protection MOVES.

A good oline adjusts to the rush moving the pocket which theQB is supposed to follow.

Ewers failed to follow the pocket.

It's that simple.

• Hook 'Em 7

3 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Quoted for accuracy.

Some people don't understand how the pocket of protection MOVES.

A good oline adjusts to the rush moving the pocket which theQB is supposed to follow.

Ewers failed to follow the pocket.

It's that simple.

Best thing in this thread for the last several pages...

Follow the Pocket is a damned good band name. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Uhhh no. LG keeps himself between his man and Quinn. That's a terrible sack.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 1

Brother that's a win for the LG, I don't know what you're on. He got "pushed" back like two steps then anchored. Strong rep. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Manning came in cold in his first big game of his college career though and Texas moved from the 25 to the 48 and from the 20 to the GA 48.
Ewers prior 5 possessions in reverse order: -4 yds, 5 yd (threw INT),  -7, 8 (Fumbled), 1 yd
Not sure they are equal either

This. Manning should be practicing with the 1s this week. Quinn needs to meditate or climb mount bonnell and consume a grackles egg from an egg on the Eastern cliff face or some shit. He ain’t right.
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Thatguy has to be related to Quinn. Even his most ardent supporters can’t defend that shitty performance and maintain credibility. His only real good games were Michigan and CSU- he was shitty in the UTSA before he got hurt. 

Nah man I just understand that constricted pockets affect QB play, especially when you ad in a lack of a running game. If I told you we would run for 29 yards against Georgia's base D and then asked you how Quinn would play you'd say a lot like last nite. Most reasonable people would. Problem is there are a lot of Ewers haters here who wait for these moments. Then there are a lot of Put Manning in ASAP guys too. This thread is 217 pages despite going to the playoffs last year and being 6-0. Ehlinger's thread was only 202 pages after 4 mediocre years of football. Imagine that.

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Ever year when he can’t hit passes it’s he’s still hurt excuses…. How about he just sucks at throwing the ball down field?  The numbers don’t lie, he has never been actually good at throwing the ball down field minus a few here and there that hit their target his downfield percentage is terrible.  He throws a great screen pass though…

I'm not even talking about deep balls. He had plenty of intermediate throws that were behind the receiver or sailed. Nothing was on target...  Except the drops, it seems.

This is the problem with the internet. You can be honest about changes in performance and not lock yourself into a position based on something you said 3 months ago. I would argue Ewers has the highest volatility of any QB in the nation this year. He had great moments (Michigan) and bad moments (OU and Georgia). The issue the last 2 weeks Quinn has not looked uncomfortable. He isn’t stepping up in the pocket or into his throws. He he has been bailing on clean pockets and he has poor escape routes. Escaping out the back is reserved for Lamar Jackson’s of the world. You can not snap a ball from the 11 and have your QB in the end zone. Tackles are expecting him at spot to throw the ball. When he goes deeper it plays straight into speed rushers 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The LG does exactly what he is supposed to do as does Banks and the rest of the OL.  Ewers self sacks.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1