Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

9 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

This is the problem with the internet. You can be honest about changes in performance and not lock yourself into a position based on something you said 3 months ago. I would argue Ewers has the highest volatility of any QB in the nation this year. He had great moments (Michigan) and bad moments (OU and Georgia). The issue the last 2 weeks Quinn has not looked uncomfortable. He isn’t stepping up in the pocket or into his throws. He he has been bailing on clean pockets and he has poor escape routes. Escaping out the back is reserved for Lamar Jackson’s of the world. You can not snap a ball from the 11 and have your QB in the end zone. Tackles are expecting him at spot to throw the ball. When he goes deeper it plays straight into speed rushers 

He does this weird fucking all arm throw from his front foot. It pisses me off because none of his balls are accurate when he does that 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The defense is good and should win us most if not all of the remaining games but a championship is out of the realm of possibility with Quinn at qb.  We will lose to every team with a good qb and defense, thankfully there’s not many of those this year it seems. Let’s enjoy hopefully making the playoffs and winning one at least in that.  It’s a shame or talented wide receivers are going to waste this year because we can’t throw the ball downfield, their numbers should be much better then they are.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Look at the initial rush. LG gets pushed back 5 yards off the LOS. Quinn feels that and moves back and right. It's hard FOR ME to fault a QB when the d-line pushes the LOS 5 yards into the backfield.

So, you’re saying that Quinn didn’t have at least 5 yards of clean pocket in front of him? If hes feeling the “pressure” from the interior on this play then he has no business playing this position. For whatever reason he’s “scared”. He self sacks as much as any qb I can remember watching. Go back and watch some of arch’s starts and some of the throws he’s made from within the pocket when he got drilled right after standing in there and getting rid of the ball and then ask yourself when have you seen Quinn make a throw like that? Arch isn’t perfect and will not win every game he starts here but his ceiling is undeniably higher than Quinn’s at this point. Quinn starts against Vandy and unless he shows the fortitude to step up both in the pocket and just into his damn throws then it’s time to move on. 

• Hook 'Em 7

12 minutes ago, bluto said:

Early looks seems as tho the tape makes his performance look even shittier. Impressive 

It’ll be clear by tomorrow that he basically single handily fucked the game up and the OL, while porous, actually moved the pocket for him quite decently for the most part. 

We have a problem at our feet because of his horrible feet, unfortunately. 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Arch came in and had the exact same issues as Quinn. He took a terrible sack and then turned the ball over leading directly to points for them. I'm not sure how it can be argued that he was the "for sure" better option.

Ah, here's where you're wrong, sir. He actually had a 10 yard scamper 1 time. Quinn did not. 

Advantage: aggy

You can’t be coming in here spewing no one knows what they’re talking about, and then comment like this on a video that is so obvious of Ewers having bad pocket presence. You do realize you can maneuver the pocket multiple times in one play, right? This is a drill they probably do religiously in practice. Drop back, slide right or left, and step up. I’m sure there are videos of Ewers doing all he can in the pocket to avoid the rush last night but this isn’t one of those. 

Hell, it’s a drill on NCAA25
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

It’ll be clear by tomorrow that he basically single handily fucked the game up and the OL, while porous, actually moved the pocket for him quite decently for the most part. 

I wouldn’t go that far. Georgia was winning the one on ones. 1 of the biggest differences in this game was all the check downs Quinn has been doing that have gone for 7-8 yards or maybe a Helm hurdle were going for -1 to 2 yards. Georgia secondary was physical and their LBs can scoot and tackle. Quinn was bad, but that doesn’t mean the OL or any Unit on offense was good. Throw in some terrible special teams that cost poor field position all game and you get the disaster we saw 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, TOR said:

Your numbers seem accurate, checking the box.

Might be your tone.  

I love them, but we need Christian Okoye back there waiting to hurt linebackers.

Man would I kill for a Christian "Nigerian Nightmare" Okoye. And you know we would get him our pipeline already established. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

He is accurate on short to intermediate throws. He has struggled on deep throws but we really only ever threw deep with Worthy so hard to say on that. He and Worthy never had a good connection. He was bad last game on anything. This game he didn't miss a whole bunch of throws like last game.

Nice to meet you Mr. Ewers. Tell Quinn we’re all rooting for him! 

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

I wouldn’t go that far. Georgia was winning the one on ones. 1 of the biggest differences in this game was all the check downs Quinn has been doing that have gone for 7-8 yards or maybe a Helm hurdle were going for -1 to 2 yards. Georgia secondary was physical and their LBs can scoot and tackle. Quinn was bad, but that doesn’t mean the OL or any Unit on offense was good. Throw in some terrible special teams that cost poor field position all game and you get the disaster we saw 

Like I said before the game, Quinn’s dink and dunking will not win this game because Georgia is too athletic and will stop it.  He was going to have to be able to thrown downfield and he can’t.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

22 minutes ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Thatguy has to be related to Quinn. Even his most ardent supporters can’t defend that shitty performance and maintain credibility. His only real good games were Michigan and CSU- he was shitty in the UTSA before he got hurt. 

Quinn played really well against Bama last season. And he also played really well against OU last season, but only after an abysmal start. He started out dazed and confused just like this season against OU, but he regained his composure and finished strong. It wasn't enough to overcome the bad start though. We had no business losing that game.

I totally get why Sark prefers to let him play through it, because when he finally gets it together, he's damn good and you don't want to further undermine his confidence. Likewise, it sends the message to QB recruits that they will be given every chance to develop themselves when playing through adversity. It's difficult to predict exactly when, or whether, Quinn will right his ship in a game, or going forward. And, of course, you have no guarantee the backup will fare better. So I don't have a problem whatsoever with Sark showing patience with it. It's a matter of when do you make the call to bring in the backup QB. That is subjective but to me it's when do you think another opposing score is too deep of a hole to get out of with no indication of improvement. It's also not uncommon or wrong, to put a backup QB into a game just to see if it will give a spark to the offense and/or figuratively splash some cold water in the starter's face.

The coach has to be able to manage that situation and have the backbone to make the call regardless of how the media spins it or perceived reactions. It's his team and locker-room.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, parkavenueguy said:

I'm sorry but that loss was pretty embarrassing, especially after being ranked #1. That was our first real game and OU doesn't count because they suck. Georgia didn't even play well last night and it was so frustrating how Carson can throw ints and we can't even capitalize on it. Just brutal stuff. Arch needed to be put in earlier, because at the rate we were going, it wouldn't have even mattered. The one thing that really gets me mad about Quinn is he always has this confused, nervous look on his face. Does he not know whats going on? Like come on man. Jesus Christ. It's just sad.

Maybe people bought into the "Quinn is an experienced decision maker" story. Maybe, OTOH, he's just been pretty good at spotting the open receiver and quickly getting rid of the ball with some real zip and accuracy. But last night, the zip wasn't there, neither was the accuracy. Maybe he's not that great at making decisions. Maybe he doesn't have Arch's instincts. When the pressure comes, he panics or melts. He used to take off and like I said, throw with zip. Big Game Quinn looks mostly like a myth at this point. Arch needs to start. By Aggy, he'll be making big plays, something we were sorely missing last night with Experienced Quinn.

The kid is too injury prone and scared when he comes back. I can't say I would be any different if I were in that same situation, but at the same time he's been doing this for so long that he either needs to get it together or just quit. The latter would be sad, but God damn, dude. It's football, you're gonna get hit. If you're not ready to come back to action, just fucking tell them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One thing I have wondered about Quinn's psyche is that if the Arch mania was getting to his head. Some QBs would thrive in that situation and play even better while others would melt down. Maybe he rushed to get back to playing after the injury seeing how much hype Arch was getting.

31 minutes ago, NoRagrets said:

He sucked bc he’s obviously still hurt. His throws were weak, and he was terrified of getting hit. 

We use this excuse every year…. At some point maybe it’s just who he is.   His downfield passing numbers have always been bad, sure a few of his moon shots hit their target but a huge majority do not.  Anything going over ten yards in the air is not accurate. There’s a reason he ranked 78th in downfield passing last year.  

Edited by Hook1997
  • Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

This is the problem with the internet. You can be honest about changes in performance and not lock yourself into a position based on something you said 3 months ago. I would argue Ewers has the highest volatility of any QB in the nation this year. He had great moments (Michigan) and bad moments (OU and Georgia). The issue the last 2 weeks Quinn has not looked uncomfortable. He isn’t stepping up in the pocket or into his throws. He he has been bailing on clean pockets and he has poor escape routes. Escaping out the back is reserved for Lamar Jackson’s of the world. You can not snap a ball from the 11 and have your QB in the end zone. Tackles are expecting him at spot to throw the ball. When he goes deeper it plays straight into speed rushers 

Great Stuff...

Crazy how up and down Ewers is... bipolar

• Like 1

Let's play What IF for a second.

What if we get this version of Quinn for the rest of the season? I have to think eventually he loses the starting job to Arch....and then what? Does he hit the portal to use his last year of eligibility as a redemption tour? I think everyone has been working under the assumption that he will go pro after this season, but I think his stock has to be sliding and if he doesn't snap out of this funk and loses his job I am not even sure he gets drafted before the 5th or 6th round. It's pretty wild to think about how far off the tracks this thing has gotten in a pretty short amount of time. 

This is obviously a worst case scenario, but it feels like there is a non zero percent chance it could happen. I hate it for him, as he has grown a ton as a person and is a great teammate by all accounts.

1 hour ago, NoRagrets said:

He sucked bc he’s obviously still hurt. His throws were weak, and he was terrified of getting hit. 

or he’s more than healthy enough to play, he’s just scared. every team in the country has a bunch of guys in worse physical shape than QE who are out there playing a ton of snaps in the trenches. QE gets hit/hurt and he goes all deer in the headlights for a month or two, every time. if you gave quinn’s talent to sam ehlinger then sam wins the heisman. QE does not have the mental aspects required to play QB at the level that Texas demands. he’d be pretty great in a 7-on-7 league, but unfortunately this ain’t that.

Edited by Derka

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

What if we get this version of Quinn for the rest of the season? I have to think eventually he loses the starting job to Arch

He would lose his job probably sometime in the second quarter of the Vandy game. He's been the worst player on offense in two consecutive games. 

• Hook 'Em 5

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

What if we get this version of Quinn for the rest of the season? I have to think eventually he loses the starting job to Arch....and then what? Does he hit the portal to use his last year of eligibility as a redemption tour? I think everyone has been working under the assumption that he will go pro after this season, but I think his stock has to be sliding and if he doesn't snap out of this funk and loses his job I am not even sure he gets drafted before the 5th or 6th round. It's pretty wild to think about how far off the tracks this thing has gotten in a pretty short amount of time. 

This is obviously a worst case scenario, but it feels like there is a non zero percent chance it could happen. I hate it for him, as he has grown a ton as a person and is a great teammate by all accounts.

This is a good point and it’s honestly where I’m at as well. What attributes does he possess that translate to the next level, precision accuracy from 0-10 yards? 

Just now, RichUT said:

We won't see another defense like this, so it would take a total mental breakdown for Quinn to play this bad again. He has to leave for the NFL after this season, he's a former 5* 3 year starter in a NFL style offense, the tape has been made and he has an injury history. When you see guys come back for a 4th year it generally the result of wanting to play in a system that will increase they're draft stock or they are trying to over come a major injury and show they still have their athletic ability, none of these apply to Quinn.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Quoted for accuracy.

Some people don't understand how the pocket of protection MOVES.

A good oline adjusts to the rush moving the pocket which theQB is supposed to follow.

Ewers failed to follow the pocket.

It's that simple.

Look at Quinn during OU. He doesn’t step up in the pocket and instead runs in the direction of the defenders. The all 22 shows just how bad it is. 

• Rage+1 2

If that version of Quinn shows up for Vandy, he won’t even get the victory formation snaps. He will be going pro in something other than football if that happens. He will not stay and be the back up.
  • Like 1

I'm pretty annoyed with how Sark handled this as well.  If the starter is THAT clear in his mind, you don't pull him down 17 or 20 in the 2nd quarter. You just don't. So either they downplayed how injured Ewers was, or they actually see what we all see (that Quinn is mentally fragile and inconsistent) and pulled him in a panic move. Sark has worked very hard all year to avoid a QB controversy, and then just decided to create one all by himself by bringing Arch in before halftime.

In real time, I wanted Quinn to stay in until halftime and to decide what to do from there. I definitely wanted Quinn back in on the last drive before the half since it was a 2 minute drill and maybe that could give him a spark. Really dumb IMO to put Arch back out there for a 2nd drive and we got burned with another turnover and 3 points for Georgia. 

Sark needs to stop complaining about the outside noise regarding this situation and take ownership of how he handled it last night. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Thought about this too last night actually particularly the portal part. The question was where would he go that could develop him? I don’t think there’s a lot of options. 

8 minutes ago, FunkSoulBrother said:

Thought about this too last night actually particularly the portal part. The question was where would he go that could develop him? I don’t think there’s a lot of options. 

Need to let him practice with the defense and run the Oklahoma drill and let him get hit a few times. He’ll survive…probably. 

14 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm pretty annoyed with how Sark handled this as well.  If the starter is THAT clear in his mind, you don't pull him down 17 or 20 in the 2nd quarter. You just don't. So either they downplayed how injured Ewers was, or they actually see what we all see (that Quinn is mentally fragile and inconsistent) and pulled him in a panic move. Sark has worked very hard all year to avoid a QB controversy, and then just decided to create one all by himself by bringing Arch in before halftime.

In real time, I wanted Quinn to stay in until halftime and to decide what to do from there. I definitely wanted Quinn back in on the last drive before the half since it was a 2 minute drill and maybe that could give him a spark. Really dumb IMO to put Arch back out there for a 2nd drive and we got burned with another turnover and 3 points for Georgia. 

Sark needs to stop complaining about the outside noise regarding this situation and take ownership of how he handled it last night. 

I think that if Arch had led a scoring drive before the half, Ewers would have been done for the game.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Whatever Sark decides to do, he has to sit Ewers down and review the film to cover the pocket mistakes. He should make it clear that they cannot persist or there are consequences for continued poor performance. Hopefully he responds to coaching and he plays well next week. If not, Ewers would at least understand why a change would be made. You cannot control what the media is going to say so you just have to treat it like any other position. Lefau has overtaken Gbenda and Hutson is in the process of overtaking Campbell for similar reasons. It’s part of the game. 

• Hook 'Em 6

2 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

The defense is good and should win us most if not all of the remaining games but a championship is out of the realm of possibility with Quinn at qb.  We will lose to every team with a good qb and defense, thankfully there’s not many of those this year it seems. Let’s enjoy hopefully making the playoffs and winning one at least in that.  It’s a shame or talented wide receivers are going to waste this year because we can’t throw the ball downfield, their numbers should be much better then they are.  

I think Georgia is the only team with a defense good enough to beat us. Oregon might have the offense to do it. Other than that Texas is in every other game. We can win it all still. We just need Georgia to be upset before we have to play them. 

32 minutes ago, MrBig said:

Look at Quinn during OU. He doesn’t step up in the pocket and instead runs in the direction of the defenders. The all 22 shows just how bad it is. 

That's infuriating.  Especially since there is a wide-open guy over the middle.  Step up throw it and everything is right on time.

3 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I think that if Arch had led a scoring drive before the half, Ewers would have been done for the game.

He might have if he didn't miss a wide open receiver while trying to hit a 10% ball to a covered receiver. We don't have the answer for QB right now. We have what we have. Let's see if Sark can clean up the silly mistakes and make something special out of this season.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

100%

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

He just hasn't gotten his throwing accuracy back yet.  He had sufficient time about every time but the time he fumbled.

The defense played good.  We just kept giving them short fields between the offense and special teams.  We had literally 15 yards of total offense late in the 2nd quarter when they put Arch in.

46 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Sark absolutely did the right thing.  Quinn was out of it.  We had 15 yards of offense at the time!  15!.  Arch gave us a spark and gave them something else to think about.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Whatever Sark decides to do, he has to sit Ewers down and review the film to cover the pocket mistakes. He should make it clear that they cannot persist or there are consequences for continued poor performance. Hopefully he responds to coaching and he plays well next week. If not, Ewers would at least understand why a change would be made. You cannot control what the media is going to say so you just have to treat it like any other position. Lefau has overtaken Gbenda and Hutson is in the process of overtaking Campbell for similar reasons. It’s part of the game. 

Well the consequences for Ewers is when or even if he gets drafted.