Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

27 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Sarkisian noted that it wasn’t an ideal situation for his offensive line to be in, although of the seven sacks allowed by the Longhorns, PFF only credited two to the line, one each for Banks and junior right tackle Cam Williams.

That sack tagged to banks was wholly on Ewers not stepping up in the pocket. He drove the defender as deep as he could. Quinn has to step up on his goal line. Hell, even my 9 year old commented on it in the replay. "why did he not step up dad?" He needs a reset. Quinn has to be more fearless.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

That sack tagged to banks was wholly on Ewers not stepping up in the pocket. He drove the defender as deep as he could. Quinn has to step up on his goal line. Hell, even my 9 year old commented on it in the replay. "why did he not step up dad?" He needs a reset. Quinn has to be more fearless.

Pretty sure the sack on Banks was on the fumble by Ewers on 4th down 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The dude had like 16 yards passing in 6 drives and was seeing ghosts. At that point his own confidence is about to go off a cliff if you keep just letting him bang his head against a wall.

He absolutely made the right direction in sitting Quinn down. At worse, Arch comes in and does the same thing as Quinn but at that point you already had nothing going so who cares (which is what happened). At best, you get a spark from Arch or Quinn calms down (I.e Rattler against Texas in the 2020 game) and looks better the remainder of the game.

You can’t look that bad in a home game going off an injury and a previous game where you already looked shaky and expect to just keep doing the same thing with a capable backup behind you.

The timing was bad.

Pull Quinn in the 2nd quarter and start Arch the rest of the game? Fine.

Stick with Quinn through halftime and decide in the locker room who starts/plays the 2nd half? Fine. 

Pulling Quinn before halftime, then putting him back in for entire 2nd half? Panic move and created more of a mess than this needs to be. 

Golden was open quite a bit.  But he’s not a focal point so he doesn’t get the looks.

Arch’s 1st and 2nd series were big play opportunities.  The 4th down slant to Bond.

I am not sure what’s a reasonable rate to not get to the open receiver but yesterday was certainly not the only QBs that have that.

5 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The timing was bad.

Stick with Quinn through halftime and decide in the locker room who starts/plays the 2nd half? Fine. 

Pulling Quinn before halftime, then putting him back in for entire 2nd half? Panic move and created more of a mess than this needs to be. 

It's not a mess at all. Quinn Ewers is QB1.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I'm pretty annoyed with how Sark handled this as well.  If the starter is THAT clear in his mind, you don't pull him down 17 or 20 in the 2nd quarter. You just don't. So either they downplayed how injured Ewers was, or they actually see what we all see (that Quinn is mentally fragile and inconsistent) and pulled him in a panic move. Sark has worked very hard all year to avoid a QB controversy, and then just decided to create one all by himself by bringing Arch in before halftime.

In real time, I wanted Quinn to stay in until halftime and to decide what to do from there. I definitely wanted Quinn back in on the last drive before the half since it was a 2 minute drill and maybe that could give him a spark. Really dumb IMO to put Arch back out there for a 2nd drive and we got burned with another turnover and 3 points for Georgia. 

Sark needs to stop complaining about the outside noise regarding this situation and take ownership of how he handled it last night. 

I get what you’re stating but I pretty strongly disagree with your last graph. Sark has handled this better than anyone really can I think - he did take ownership even at half and said he had to calm Ewers. It’s insane a 3 year starter had to be sat and calmed and that’s another debate but I actually think Sark has handled this entire thing pretty well.

It’s a shame QB1 has the yips or is terrified  of football. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I get what you’re stating but I pretty strongly disagree with your last graph. Sark has handled this better than anyone really can I think - he did take ownership even at half and said he had to calm Ewers. It’s insane a 3 year starter had to be sat and calmed and that’s another debate but I actually think Sark has handled this entire thing pretty well.

It’s a shame QB1 has the yips or is terrified  of football. 

I completely disagree. close up of sark's face before he yanked QE showed terror in his eyes. Sark will get there, but he's still one step below what Saban was and what Smart is.

• Like 1

Watching how Mahomes handles pocket pressure and how Ewers handles it is like watching Michael Jordan vs. toddlers. Mahomes knows exactly when to step up and when to step to the side. Ewers just panics and basically trips over his own feet. It’s like he doesn’t understand the concept of the pocket and how it works. 

Just now, David Dennison said:

I'm not sure it is. Not yet, anyway.

But maybe.

I doubt anything in film study will make the coaches feel better about Quinn's performance and decision making. 

I've had a delayed anger with this game. Was pretty calm last night, but I'm getting more pissed about it by the hour, lol. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, StrippersAndNobelPrizes said:

Watching how Mahomes handles pocket pressure and how Ewers handles it is like watching Michael Jordan vs. toddlers. Mahomes knows exactly when to step up and when to step to the side. Ewers just panics and basically trips over his own feet. It’s like he doesn’t understand the concept of the pocket and how it works. 

You’re telling me the 28 year old 3x SB 3x MVP future HOF NFL QB has better pocket presence than a 21 year old college QB?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I doubt anything in film study will make the coaches feel better about Quinn's performance and decision making. 

I've had a delayed anger with this game. Was pretty calm last night, but I'm getting more pissed about it by the hour, lol. 

Maybe, but that doesn't mean they are going to make a change in the depth chart this week, much to the consternation of some of our surly brethren.

1 minute ago, Not a Sock said:

You’re telling me the 28 year old 3x SB 3x MVP future HOF NFL QB has better pocket presence than a 21 year old college QB?

No dumbass but I expect someone who has been playing football over half his life to understand a concept like “pocket” and when to step up and when to step sideways. Guess that is too complex a concept.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

You don't have to compare Ewers to Mahomes. We can just compare Michigan Ewers to yesterday's Ewers. At Michigan, he was moving in the pocket very well, not so much yesterday.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

Maybe, but that doesn't mean they are going to make a change in the depth chart this week, much to the consternation of some of our surly brethren.

Maybe not, but I'd bet Arch gets some first team reps this week. 

Again, the precedent has been set. There will be a quicker trigger to pull him again if he continue to look shitty. Now that we've lost a game, there is no room for error and Sark's urgency gets ramped up even more. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

Maybe not, but I'd bet Arch gets some first team reps this week. 

Again, the precedent has been set. There will be a quicker trigger to pull him again if he continue to look shitty. Now that we've lost a game, there is no room for error and Sark's urgency gets ramped up even more. 

You know what's wild?

We can lose another game and still be a lock for the final 12.

I don't recommend it.

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

I hate myself so I watched the replay today.

Quinns head is firmly up his own ass. Zero awareness, piss ass reads, has no idea what an offensive line does.

Bah! Fuck it, we're bowl eligible.

Props to you for having the fortitude to put yourself through that. I’m really wanting to watch one of the YouTube “experts” break this down.

22 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I would have to rewatch that but it was a corner blitz right? Man, that is a tough sack to get pinned on the oline. But that is fair.

It was the one in the 4th Q.. Edge got around Banks and knocked the ball out of Quinn’s hand as he was cocking back to throw 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Tx_2_Sc85 said:

Props to you for having the fortitude to put yourself through that. I’m really wanting to watch one of the YouTube “experts” break this down.

Yeah, this isn't really one where you need an expert to break it down.  It was pretty obvious what happened.  

The entire team, and coaching staff shit the bed.  

People point to the D playing well, but I didn't really see that either.  Almost zero pass rush, run defense was so-so, and receivers were open.  If not for Beck struggling with accuracy and the WRs dropping easy balls, this game would have been a blowout.

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe, but the precedent has been set. He won't be QB1 for long if his injury has fucked him up this bad physically and mentally. We have no room for error now. 

And that's fair.

Every talking head in the country 24 hours ago said Texas had the best QB room to the point it was almost unfair.

It can't be as dire as we're making it.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sark ain’t stupid man. He knows what he is watching. The playbook opened up this year with Arch in. Yeah, the opponents sucked but we just had so much more of the field to work with in addition to his running ability. There were a lot of valid reasons for Ewers remaining the starter and his experience is valuable, but those reasons are quickly becoming fewer and fewer.

He is absolutely playing for his job against Vandy. We can’t have a national title contending team with a third year starter who needs training wheels. He has earned the right to work through some stuff but 3 straight games is enough man.

I said the same. Ewers is the starter, but I think Vandy could be his last stand. 

Reason to play Ewers over Manning is command of the offense and consistency. Manning is going to make freshman mistakes, like trying to beat an NFL Lb to the sideline and taking a 10 yard loss. If Ewers is continues to imitate his freshman self, Sark will go with Arch. Who has no problem firing the ball deep, taking a shot throwing the ball, and adds a running element to the offense. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It was the one in the 4th Q.. Edge got around Banks and knocked the ball out of Quinn’s hand as he was cocking back to throw 

Was it 11? That dude is a beast, still can't happen. Tbh, I was cooking ribs on the rewatch and didn't watch all of the 4th Q.

30 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

The timing was bad.

7 plays, 26 yards, punt

3 plays, 1 yard, punt

4 plays, 8 yards, fumble

3 plays, -7 yards, punt

3 plays, 5 yards, INT

3 plays, -4 yards, punt

When it's THAT fucking bad, timing, optics, perception, whatever is all out the window. Sark HAD to try Arch. Hell at least Arch gained some field position and first downs by scrambling and drawing a penalty. He arguably somewhat stopped the bleeding. If Ewers played the entire first half it could have been 30-0.

If Arch would have shown something, Ewers probably never comes back. You're criticizing with the benefit of hindsight.  The bullets were flying and Sark had to make a tough call. I very much doubt he concocted the temporary benching plan in the moment. He was trying to win a football game. Ewers said he didn't know he'd be coming back into the game until halftime.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sark ain’t stupid man. He knows what he is watching. The playbook opened up this year with Arch in. Yeah, the opponents sucked but we just had so much more of the field to work with in addition to his running ability. There were a lot of valid reasons for Ewers remaining the starter and his experience is valuable, but those reasons are quickly becoming fewer and fewer.

He is absolutely playing for his job against Vandy. We can’t have a national title contending team with a third year starter who needs training wheels. He has earned the right to work through some stuff but 3 straight games is enough man.

Reminds me of Dabo with Kelly and Lawrence. Kelly needed to progress and show that he could lead a very talented team to a championship. Lawrence came along with not as much playing time as Arch but when he was on the field it became more obvious and almost inevitable. By week 4 Lawrence was named the starter.

It’s time to shape up or ship out for Ewers. Sark didn’t recruit the portal and high school levels at an elite as he did to watch Ewers start slow against good defenses. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

Reminds me of Dabo with Kelly and Lawrence. Kelly needed to progress and show that he could lead a very talented team to a championship. Lawrence came along with not as much playing time as Arch but when he was on the field it became more obvious and almost inevitable. By week 4 Lawrence was named the starter.

It’s time to shape up or ship out for Ewers. Sark didn’t recruit the portal and high school levels at an elite as he did to watch Ewers start slow against good defenses. 

True. But at no point was Kelly projected as the first qb taken or the heisman front runner

2 minutes ago, Levi said:

It reminds me more of Chuck Knoblach. Ewers has shown he can be elite. I don’t think anyone could have predicted this regression after coming off a minor injury. It’s like he had forgotten the lessons of the last 2.5 seasons 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Yeah, this isn't really one where you need an expert to break it down.  It was pretty obvious what happened.  

People point to the D playing well, but I didn't really see that either.  Almost zero pass rush, run defense was so-so, and receivers were open.  If not for Beck struggling with accuracy and the WRs dropping easy balls, this game would have been a blowout.

The D limited UGA to 285 total yards...that's the fewest yards on offense they've had all year except against UK, which was in the 260s.  They also had 3 picks.  And all of that was while having to trot out there every 4 minutes because the offense was inept and couldn't sustain any drives.

Yes, UGA had drops, but so did we.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 6

It reminds me more of Chuck Knoblach. Ewers has shown he can be elite. I don’t think anyone could have predicted this regression after coming off a minor injury. It’s like he had forgotten the lessons of the last 2.5 seasons 

Quinn has issues for sure. But I wouldn’t go so far as to compare the motherfucker to a damn aggy. That’s just low. And uncalled for.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The defense was awesome despite having to spend the whole first half on the field.