Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 minute ago, closetohumping said:

True. But at no point was Kelly projected as the first qb taken or the heisman front runner

Agree although the offense does take a more dynamic dimension when Arch is on the field. What Ewers could be is kinda not relative at this point. 

10 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

It reminds me more of Chuck Knoblach. Ewers has shown he can be elite. I don’t think anyone could have predicted this regression after coming off a minor injury. It’s like he had forgotten the lessons of the last 2.5 seasons 

Probably a better comparison. 

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

Sark ain’t stupid man. He knows what he is watching. The playbook opened up this year with Arch in. Yeah, the opponents sucked but we just had so much more of the field to work with in addition to his running ability. There were a lot of valid reasons for Ewers remaining the starter and his experience is valuable, but those reasons are quickly becoming fewer and fewer.

He is absolutely playing for his job against Vandy. We can’t have a national title contending team with a third year starter who needs training wheels. He has earned the right to work through some stuff but 3 straight games is enough man.

I'm ready now. It's not like we have a struggling starter, and the backup is Connor Wood, or Case McCoy, or Hudson Card. It's Arch Manning, who is probably a coin flip bet to win a Heisman here. 

A couple of thought experiments. 1) If Manning plays the entire game, how many points do we score? More than 15? 2) Who do you think Vandy, Arkansas, etc. would rather we play at QB?

• Hook 'Em 7

19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I'm ready now. It's not like we have a struggling starter, and the backup is Connor Wood, or Case McCoy, or Hudson Card. It's Arch Manning, who is probably a coin flip bet to win a Heisman here. 

A couple of thought experiments. 1) If Manning plays the entire game, how many points do we score? More than 15? 2) Who do you think Vandy, Arkansas, etc. would rather we play at QB?

1) Probably. I don’t think we win because  the supporting cast (OL) wasn’t particularly good either.

2) It’s Arch if Ewers is as bad in the short and intermediate game as he has shown the last 2 weeks. It’s hard for me to make a case for Ewers right now. He isn’t bringing anything to the table Arch wouldn’t. 

For Ewers sake I hope it is injury related because I’ve never seen a QB regress this fast after literally being the favorite for the Heisman.

• Hook 'Em 1

FWIW last week one of the media guys (Gerry H?) mentioned that Carson Beck had that same injury and Georgia fans said Beck missed time and still didn't look right for several games upon returning. 

It's very possible he's not letting on how limited he is. 

Edited by CurlyDumps

32 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Manning does not have the whole play book, when Arch was starting the offense used much less motion and fewer formations.  What you gain in potential talent upside for pulling Ewers for Manning, you lose in scheme as Manning doesn't have the full offense to run.

4 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Manning does not have the whole play book, when Arch was starting the offense used much less motion and fewer formations.  What you gain in potential talent upside for pulling Ewers for Manning, you lose in scheme as Manning doesn't have the full offense to run.

Manning gives you the deep ball. We don’t have that with Quinn. 

• Hook 'Em 3

What does motion have to do with the qb? This is a serious question.

4 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

FWIW last week one of the media guys (Gerry H?) mentioned that Carson Beck had that same injury and Georgia fans said Beck missed time and still didn't look right for several games upon returning. 

Would think if that's the case Sark would have to know. I don't know how he could hide that in practice (footwork/mechanics) and would think Sark is privy to his medical exams footed by the athletic dept? Just have a hard time believing Sark would send him in knowing he can't physically perform and risk aggravating the unhealed injury.

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

That’s on the coaches then. Choosing to play a limited Ewers over a backup who has shown he is very capable is horrible decision making. If that was the case they could have just yanked Ewers yesterday and said it was injury related and some of the heat would have been off.

My guess is Ewers is cleared from a medical standpoint but that doesn’t trust himself and it’s mental, which is even worse. Almost like having the yips.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

What does motion have to do with the qb? This is a serious question.

When the play call comes in the offense will set in a formation and the defense will line up in its formation, the QB will then motion someone on offense and that will either force the defense to reveal their coverage or get them in a match up disadvantage. A big reason UGA kicked our ass is that they didn't bite on any of Texas's motions and basically played man press and bet the house that they could get to Quinn before he could go through his progression and the receivers got open. So a lot of the bed wetting is unnecessary as nobody else on the schedule will be able to do what Georgia did, press man against our WR if you don't have elite talent on the back end is just asking Quinn to hit slants, curls and crossing routes all day for 15-20 yards.

Edited by Not a Sock

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Manning gives you the deep ball. We don’t have that with Quinn. 

But you loses a shit load of the intermediate move the chain throws. When Manning was starting the offense was explosive but also extremely inefficient, as manning kept pressing for the big plays instead of just sustaining drives and moving the chains.

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

But you loses a shit load of the intermediate move the chain throws. When Manning was starting the offense was explosive but also extremely inefficient, as manning kept pressing for the big plays instead of just sustaining drives and moving the chains.

Were missing those throws with Ewers

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

We went something like 2/16 on third down so moving the chains was not working.

also hard to sustain a full field drive and move the chains against Georgia’s defense. Big play offense and explosives is what you need to get Georgia out of sorts. 

23 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

It's almost as if you didn't read the post.  Also, it's hard to rack up yards when you're average starting position is the 50

sure but our D made them kick 3 FGs of the 5 scores while getting the ball inside our 40 in the first half.  they did a helluva job under the circumstances. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

besides the lack of stepping up in the pocket, there was one play in the 2H that sums up Ewers for me.  we run Wingo on a corner crossing route deep in UGA territory.  He's got 2 yards on the defender chasing him.  Ewers overthrows him by 5 yards never even giving Wingo a chance.  When we need a play in a huge game to come back it just seems like he doesn't rise to the occasion very often.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

It's almost as if you made a shitty point, adding blame to the D when they are at the very bottom of the list of problems we had.

Lol. If you want to give the D credit for inaccurate and dropped passes by Georgia, that's you're prerogative.

I won't. 

The entire team and coaching staff were off last night.  Just because the D sucked slightly less doesn't mean they get a pass.

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

‘Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth’

I guess but Ewers has been getting punched in the mouth for three years now. He has to be able to handle it a bit better by this point.

Anyway Ewers is the starter. We will ride or die with him. So he has to step it up.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

Lol. If you want to give the D credit for inaccurate and dropped passes by Georgia, that's you're prerogative.
I won't. 
The entire team and coaching staff were off last night.  Just because the D sucked slightly less doesn't mean they get a pass.

The defense was put in terrible positions the entire first half. Georgia wound up with 283 total yards — 169 yards below their season average entering the game. Georgia scored 17 of 23 first-half points off turnovers.

Texas’ defense was the only reason it wasn’t a bigger blowout.
  • Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

I won't. 

Show me where I gave the D credit for inaccurate and dropped passes by UGA?  You said it could have been worse without UGA's drops.  Drops are part of the game.  If you're going to give them credit for drops, then add a TD for Wisner's drop.  Georgia started at the TEX 13, TEX 28, TEX 34, UGA 45 and UGA 11 on their scoring drives.  Who put them in that field position?  Our D stopped 9 of Georgia's drives (really 10 if you count the fact that UGA was limited to 13 yards in one drive and settled for the FG...because they started at the 28).  How many other times has UGA's offense been stopped 9 times?  I'll give you a hint...the only other time was when they lost against Bama.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 4

But realistically Quinn took the “R” out of the RPO offense, as the defense knows he ain’t going to run. Georgia just pinned their ears back and rushed, knowing the QB wasn’t going to run. Quinn is playing like he can’t afford a hit of any type. Old man yelling at clouds or the “coach” inside of me.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, CurlyDumps said:

You're just wrong. Go listen or watch Paul Wadlington on the IT postgame show. Half the sacks were Quinn self sacks. The Oline was not as bad as half our fans are claiming they were. 

This is what I saw as a former OL. The OL were by no means great and absolutely got beat on individual plays but they competed. Ewers had time on several pressures/sacks. I'd have to rewatch to say whether those were inflicted by coverage or Quinn himself and I am probably not about to do that to myself. Beyond that, Wisner had 3.5 ypc on 15 carries with a 10-yard long, meaning even if you remove his best run he had 14-42, or 3 ypc. Remove QBs (sack yards + Arch scramble) and Texas ran for 3.75 ypc. Georgia net of Beck was 4.25, for reference. I wouldn't call that particularly good but the run game was functional, especially given Georgia had zero reason to respect the passing game.

I don't think the Texas OL got beat any worse than the DL did as a unit.

Edited by gmr548
  • Hook 'Em 5

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Went back and watched every Ewers throw in regular speed and slowed down, and I'm certain now he doesn't have the yips or some mental issue. That's a guy who isn't healthy. 

On all of his throws he's afraid or unable to torque the torso. When you watch closely you can see him square up so he doesn't have to torque, then he throws with his arm. That's why his throws the last two weeks look weak and floaty. He's not doing a proper plant and torque motion to get the ball out with force. He's clearly not able to throw the ball properly. 

That makes sense as QBs don't just regress from what he showed the first few weeks to this for no reason. This is a physical issue, and now the question I have is why did Sark play him. After he looked like that against OU, and clearly can't torque properly to throw, why did he play against Georgia? I'd even question why he played against OU if he wasn't showing the ability to throw with proper mechanics the two weeks prior. 

He should have been recovering and Arch should have kept playing. I can only think that Sark, being a former QB himself, wants to do anything other than potentially detail his QB's career. And I respect that, but when the guy is showing he can't throw he can't be playing in games. 

This excuse has been used for three years now though.  If he is consistently hurt how does that change things?   His downfield passing hurt or not has actually never been good from a percentage perspective.  So do we just go he’s always hurt so that’s an excuse but if healthy he would be good?   The moon shot in the Bama game and a few others were nice but those balls don’t equal receptions in the nfl they will get knocked down or intercepted.  His deep ball or any pass downfield will be torn apart in the nfl, he floats everything way too much for the nfl.  I will be very surprised if he makes it as a starter in the nfl for more than a few weeks. 

Edited by Hook1997

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill always hold a grudge against him.

last year was the year, if UT gets even avg qb play -  they beat washington and then beat Michigan in fucking Houston for the MNC

We actually win that game vs Washington if Quinn could put the ball in the right place at the end….  I’m not that much of a hater as I’m coming across as and I understand good qbs are few and far between but this is a Quinn thread and being real about his limitations at this point should be ok.  He cost us the playoff game vs Washington and cost us  the game yesterday.  Qb is a crazy position that a lot of us expect perfect from though.  Im also drunk again….  lol. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I tortured myself and listened to Georgia post game Interviews and they said they studied film and knew exactly what moves Ewers would make. They knew where’s he step, where he’d look and where he’d throw.  

The book is out and that’s not fixable in 4 weeks. 

It was definitely an advantage that Georgia got to spend two weeks treating us like their Superbowl while giving up 31 to a trash MSU team, while we had to prep for the  more important OU game. Maybe Kirby should allocate some of that rabid, desperate anger for the team that owns his button dick every year. Gonna be funny when they lose to Fla next week.

Edited by CurlyDumps
  • Hook 'Em 1

But realistically Quinn took the “R” out of the RPO offense, as the defense knows he ain’t going to run. Georgia just pinned their ears back and rushed, knowing the QB wasn’t going to run. Quinn is playing like he can’t afford a hit of any type. Old man yelling at clouds or the “coach” inside of me.

Hook’em!!!

The “R” part of the RPO doesn’t mean a QB run. It just means “run”. RPO’s “look like” play action fake handoffs, usually.

I point this out because GA’s dominance on D had little to do with them eliminating the need to defend a QB run.

4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill always hold a grudge against him.

last year was the year, if UT gets even avg qb play -  they beat washington and then beat Michigan in fucking Houston for the MNC

Did you not watch the secondary play last year? They couldn't cover anyone. It was a miracle we made it to the playoff game with that bad of a secondary. 

5 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

This excuse has been used for three years now though.  If he is consistently hurt how does that change things?   His downfield passing hurt or not has actually never been good from a percentage perspective.  So do we just go he’s always hurt so that’s an excuse but if healthy he would be good?   The moon shot in the Bama game and a few others were nice but those balls don’t equal receptions in the nfl they will get knocked down or intercepted.  His deep ball or any pass downfield will be torn apart in the nfl, he floats everything way too much for the nfl.  I will be very surprised if he makes it as a starter in the nfl for more than a few weeks. 

I'm not saying he's not injury prone, I'm saying the difference between his play the first 4 games and the last 2 weeks is he's still injured. He shouldn't have played the last 2 games. Even if Arch lost to Georgia anyway, Quinn could be closer to 100 percent and not have this terrible tape if Sark didn't rush to get him back out there when he's obviously not able to torque his torso to deliver a proper ball. He shouldn't be playing until he can properly throw the ball. That's on Sark. 

• Hook 'Em 2