Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Quinn has thrown this before where the route on the right side gets jumped by a defender but didn’t become an INT because it was dropped. This is nothing new and clearly other teams know this.

Quinn has a really bad tell where he slaps the football with his left hand immediately before he throws it. It’s pretty obvious and I’m sure defenders use this to time their jumps to slap the ball away. 

He's pretty bad about staring down his receivers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We all have the public persona and a private persona.  Sometimes I wonder what Sark’s gut feelings are about Manning’s true abilities.  It just appears to me there is a not of uncertainty with making a tough decision particularly perhaps since he loves his Qb guru public persona and doesn’t want to make a rash decision that tarnishes that.

On 11/19/2023 at 5:25 AM, shadow_operative said:

quinn has been better than he was last year, but the truth that so many Texas fans are unwilling to admit is this: QE is surrounded by top flight talent and is being coached by one of, if not the best QB coaches in the nation, and he honestly should be setting the world on fire with the talent he’s had around him all season. Brooks, Worthy, AD, Sanders, Whittington, Helm, Baxter, et al, not to mention an O line that has done a really good job giving him time to throw, is a really good run blocking o line, and is one that features arguably the best LT in college football. if this team had michael penix or caleb williams or jayden daniels we’d have the no.1 offense in the country and we’d be averaging 45+ points a game in our sleep.the reality of it is far from that.

QE is a consistently inconsistent QB whose most consistent attributes are poor pocket presence, poor footwork, poor mechanics, poor reading of the defense, and poor throws. Sark continually sets him up for success with his scheming and play calling, and if you don’t think that Sark would be unleashing a totally different and more advanced and high scoring offensive attack with a QB like Penix, Nix, Williams, or Daniels then you’re straight up in denial. Sark has been tailoring the offense for Quinn and his limitations, and in all honesty Quinn still isn’t able to consistently take advantage.

QE is a poor man’s Chris Simms who doesn’t turn the ball over as much. he makes some amazing throws, but is inconsistent as hell, and is still getting an absurd amount of credit for HS recruiting rankings from three years ago. pointing at his stats and acting like he had a great game is disingenuous at best and an indictment in your ability to process what you’re watching at worst. 

we all know what great QB play looks like. QE does not play great football. he rarely plays really good football, and he suffers from pretty much every issue that he has suffered from his entire career, he just doesn’t have a fat face and a stupid mullet this time. the crusade to exalt him because the team is winning games and because our fans desperately wanted him to be someone he’s not is unfortunate. he’s an above average QB who is being propped up by a QB genius of a coach who deserves way more credit than what he’s getting. 

QE might very well might be in the best situation of any QB in america with all of the talent surrounding him plus having Sark as his coach, and he absolutely has not been a consistently good QB, forget about great. and hell, plenty of guys who aren’t great QBs would still be putting up some eye popping numbers in this offense, but that’s never been what Quinn does. i’m sorry that so many here refuse to see what’s right in front of them, but there is nothing special or even particularly great about quinn ewers as a QB. to act like our 10-1 record is because of him and not because of coaching, player development, and a totally stacked roster on both sides of the ball is to have one’s head completely buried in the sand. i know how badly y’all want him to be that guy,  it to this point in his career, he’s a lot closer to being just some guy. 

On 11/19/2023 at 9:01 AM, immamac said:

Imagine being this guy. Now snap the fuck out of it and realize it’s you derka. 

On 11/19/2023 at 9:10 AM, Noozak said:

Imagine being upset that a sophomore has a 70% completion rating with 16 touchdowns and 4 interceptions. Just because your life fucking sucks doesn’t mean you need to project your bullshit on the rest of us. Go outside or something

On 11/19/2023 at 9:12 AM, Longhornlove said:

Frustrated Buzz Lightyear GIF

imagine being this wrong, this belligerent, this insulting, and then living every day going, “man that derka is an unstable pos who snaps at people just because they have a differing opinion.” projection like a mf’er.

super mature responses to a post that was a)dead on, and b)still true today. QE is better now than he was two years ago, but he still has all of the same problems he’s always had, and there’s nothing there that says he’s going suddenly become the guy who everyone wanted him to be.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2023 at 1:25 PM, burntorangebongos said:

You made the same arguments about Sam Ehlinger not being NFL quality and not going to play at the next level and you were totally wrong there. We all have a right to our opinion and my opinion is your football opinions aren't very good

sam is an nfl starter? wow, how did i miss that? 

Edited by Derka

On 11/19/2023 at 11:56 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

I don't approve of the people that follow you around this board antagonizing you, but I now fully understand it. Jesus tittyfuckin Christ man

here’s another response to my above post about QE and his limitations. if for nothing other than posterity, let’s all note that YOU guys can’t handle a differing opinion and that YOU guys are the insulting, combative, shit starters. oh and you’re also wrong, to boot. but don’t worry, i won’t hold my breath waiting for your apology or acknowledgement of this fact. 

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

I think the "still injured/trying to compensate" is a partial explanation for Saturday. Add in poor pocket awareness againist good teams, the inability to hit the long pass, and a coach who thought Quinn was healthy, and you've got all the ingredients for the debacle.

I think Quinn's health is all the excuse Sark needs to bench him, but he probably won't. And maybe Quinn deserves another chance, but a Quinn who's only 25% better than last Saturday won't beat Vandy and if Sark waits three quarters to figure that out, he'll simply be handcuffing Manning in the fourth quarter. And he could be throwing away the entire fucking season if we lose that game. Who wants to risk a three loss season with the talent we have?

If Sark wants to leave in a compromised QB HOPING he'll be ready for A&M, he's nuts. By the time we get to Aggy, we need a QB who's kicking fucking ass.

Struggling thru a couple of close wins and then hoping that will be enough for Aggy ain't gonna cut it. Unless Quinn immediately begins knocking it out of the park against Vandy, he needs to be healing on the bench - and Arch needs to be honing his skills to take on the Aggies.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

On 11/19/2023 at 1:00 PM, conVINCEd said:

Can y’all quit quoting derka’s idiotic shit?  Thx.

seriously, go back to last november in this thread and see the countless posts where i’m just getting *crushed*, and repeatedly personally insulted for saying things about QE that everyone is now saying today. it is insane how many of you will be so insulting to me for having an opinion you don’t like, only to then also convince yourself that i’m the belligerent shit-starter. absolutely crazy. 

On 11/19/2023 at 1:16 PM, WinningIsHard said:

Humor Boomer GIF

quinn is calm as fuck and completes 70% of his passes. Dak is neither smart nor accurate and is making $40 million a year as a starter for the cowboys as we speak. He fucking sucks. Are you doing some social experiment to see the reactions of really shitty takes? 

quinn is “calm as fuck.” 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91sjdllp089n6haq9kkv

On 11/19/2023 at 11:48 AM, shadow_operative said:

there’s going to be a day in the near future where AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Jonathan Brooks, JT Sanders, CJ Baxter, Jordan Whittington, and Kelvin Banks are all playing in the NFL, while Quinn Ewers isn’t. he’s one of the weaker links in our offense, yet our fan base is just determined to act like he’s a stud who’s out here winning games for us, as opposed to mostly being a passenger who occasionally makes a “wow” throw to the superior talent that surrounds him. 

On 11/19/2023 at 12:00 PM, mwaadeeb said:

So he's not what his stats and record say he is but what your QB eye says he is, got it.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:13 PM, BigOrange1 said:

lmao @ the idea that whittington will be playing in the nfl and quinn won't.

On 11/19/2023 at 12:45 PM, MotownHorn said:

Man you just can't help yourself, huh?

On 11/19/2023 at 12:51 PM, MotownHorn said:

Congrats. You win Dumbest Take of the Day today.

You can stop trying so hard now. Rest up, enjoy your W here today, and come back with another dumb take tomorrow!

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91gwnj6ztznbbgeg06sg

seriously. think about all of the talent he’s been surrounded by, both on the field and in the film room. if QE was who y’all thought he was he’d be the ashton jeanty of quarterbacks. instead he’s an inconsistent, weak minded, oft injured guy with great arm talent, who can’t throw an accurate ball any further than 15 yards downfield. that should be his nickname and the title of this thread: quinn “arm talent” ewers. that’s basically his entire skill set. “arm talent”.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

Colt was never an NFL starter. Tell me that having a 10 plus year career as a back up QB makes him a bust. Don’t be rediculous. 

what i said about sam ehlinger is that he would never win an nfl starting job, and i was told i was wrong. last i checked he’s still holding a clipboard. you don’t get to move the goalposts and then claim victory.

Edited by Derka

15 minutes ago, Derka said:

seriously, go back to last november in this thread and see the countless posts where i’m just getting *crushed*, and repeatedly personally insulted for saying things about QE that everyone is now saying today. it is insane how many of you will be so insulting to me for having an opinion you don’t like, only to then also convince yourself that i’m the belligerent shit-starter. absolutely crazy. 

That's never happened before

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

I remember Quinn throwing a nearly identical INT last year against OU. Quinn can’t make reads if the pre/post snap coverage changes. It’s year 3. The injury doesn’t make you have shitty read

Bro, this was nothing like the opening drive pick thrown against OU last year.  I’m assuming that’s the one you’re referencing.  That was an in breaking route down the field with I believe the corner over the top.

The Georgia CB gave a man look.  I think the inside defender even moved more to Goldens inside.

This is good DC work no doubt.  It may have even impacted QE being hesitant to trust his eyes later in the game.

Is there a Carson beck thread cause he sucked even more considering he wasn’t as rushed as our qbs. Can you imagine how bad he would have been if we were sacking him left and right. Only issue with Quinn is if the play is made for 8 yds he gets 8 yds. He’s not a big playmaker. Dare I say system qb. Ain’t nothing wrong with that as long as we can block enough to allow him to make a play. Immobile is nice way to say it. 

Listening to McShay on Russillo.  Was a surprising take re: Ewers v. Beck.  Basically, just that those three or four UGa defenders weren't going to be denied.  And that Beck was just as fucking bad as Ewers.  Not sure I fully agree with McShay re: Ewers, but interesting take from a couple of relatively neutral national guys that calmed me down a bit.  

Edited to add -- McShay basically said what Hookem10 did.

Edited by A-Tex Devil

52 minutes ago, Derka said:

imagine being this wrong, this belligerent, this insulting, and then living every day going, “man that derka is an unstable pos who snaps at people just because they have a differing opinion.” projection like a mf’er.

super mature responses to a post that was a)dead on, and b)still true today. QE is better now than he was two years ago, but he still has all of the same problems he’s always had, and there’s nothing there that says he’s going suddenly become the guy who everyone wanted him to be.

Someone is still mad. I guess you didn't take my advice and go outside?

2 hours ago, Codaxx said:

Damn it, RPO does not rely on QB running the ball. The vast majority of RPO's involve a hand off with a pass attached.

2ndly, the Texas run game was not that bad vs Georgia. The issue might have been how little Texas ran. Taking out the QBs, Texas had 17 carries for 64 yards. That is 3.76 per. Not great, but that might have increased if Sark tested it. The opening drive started out with 4 runs for 16 yards. The next drive 4 for 17. 1st 2 drives were at 4.1. Georgia response probably killed any chance of sticking with the run, but I suspect Sark wishes he ran the ball more throughout the game.

thank you! The ypc for the backs this game was a half yard better than vs Michigan. Far from dominant but enough to keep em honest, esp if sark didn’t go mack/benson keeping our biggest and arguably most talented back on the sideline. I want to see a breakdown of running plays in 11 vs 12 personnel too  

2 hours ago, Baconboy said:

We actually threw a deep ball early in the first quarter (2nd drive?) that resulted in a DPI call. Our receiver (maybe Bond?) was covered but it got us 15 yards, sadly making it one of our most successful plays of the game. Would have been good to throw deep more to at least try to keep their D honest instead of just letting them jump the shorts routes and hammer our guys on screens.

For the record, it was under thrown and we got the PI call as our receiver slowed and came back for the ball.

It was wingo and it was criminally under thrown and late. Wingo blew by him and had two steps

Edited by bluto
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 minutes ago, Noozak said:

Someone is still mad. I guess you didn't take my advice and go outside?

yeah, ive never been the one here who is mad. i’m just the guy firmly planted in a reality that many of you don’t want to hear, which in turn makes *you* mad, and causes you to lash out. maybe take your own advice and come back later when you’re feeling better.

Just now, Derka said:

yeah, ive never been the one here who is mad. i’m just the guy firmly planted in a reality that many of you don’t want to hear, which in turn makes *you* mad, and causes you to lash out. maybe take your own advice and come back later when you’re feeling better.

"I'm not mad....you are!" Listen man I'm not going to argue with you. If you can't understand that you were wrong then, but right today that's your problem. Say all you want but it was a bad take last year. This year? Sure. It's unacceptable that someone with Quinn's experience puts this shit on the field.

1 hour ago, Derka said:

The posts at the time were accurate, the last two weeks say otherwise. I don't know what happened to him but this isn't the same QB as we had before the injury. That is a statistical fact.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Are we doing this shit with Derka again?

well that’s up to y’all, isn’t it? you guys love to come after me like i burned down your house with your pets inside whenever i have an opinion you don’t like, but then as the string gets played and i get proven right (again, as usual), you want to whine about me bringing up the old posts. so maybe stop being such huge pricks to begin with? maybe own the fact that it’s not me who who is wildly insulting and combative? maybe admit you were wrong, both with your opinions and your insulting behavior? again, it’s legitimately up to all of you.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Noozak said:

If you can't understand that you were wrong then, but right today that's your problem.

you guys are so self deluded. quinn’s problems are the same as they ever were. the last two seasons we’ve had one of the most loaded teams in america plus one of the best staffs around, so we win a lot. you guys kept on using the fact that our team was winning to excuse, ignore, and deny all of QE’s obvious issues, issues which still exist today: his footwork, his command of the pocket, his ability to read the D, his accuracy, his downfield throwing- it’s all the same stuff. Texas winning games does not magically erase these facts.

y’all were wrong last year just like you are wrong today. yall were wrong about quinn, and yall were wrong for being so wildly insulting when you didn’t like my takes. and you’re going to be wrong when you read this post and convince yourself that it’s me who is unreasonable and unwilling to admit when he’s wrong. the groupthink here is pervasive, and wildly ironic. being a loudmouth, belligerent asshole with bad takes is all good, as long as there’s a whole bunch of you on the same side, willing to project it onto me. lol. ridiculous.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 2

40 minutes ago, Noozak said:

"I'm not mad....you are!" Listen man I'm not going to argue with you. If you can't understand that you were wrong then, but right today that's your problem. Say all you want but it was a bad take last year. This year? Sure. It's unacceptable that someone with Quinn's experience puts this shit on the field.

lol what the actual fuck?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, bluto said:

How bad was the under throw? What a play by wingo bailing him out. 

as soon as the ball left quinn’s hand i was like, “wtf?!?”. instantly upon his release you could see that this ball was essentially going to be a “jackpot” throw. 

so often while watching football you can tell that the pass will be a completion as soon as the qb throws it, just based on his confidence and body language. you see the qb identify the open man, quickly get his feet set, and then fire that ball out of his hand. you know it’s a completion. with QE it’s often the opposite, especially on deep balls. the ball leaves his hand and you’re like, “oh jesus, where is that going?!?” it’s extremely frustrating.

Arch will send some fucking mortars downfield. You have to be able to threaten great defenses with the vertical pass game. Quinn cannot. Elko will skull fuck this offense in front of 110,000 if we cannot open it up a bit. The blueprint is out there. If Sark thinks this team can win a NC he cannot be babysitting his 3rd yr starter. Shit or get off the pot. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Texasborn91 said:

Arch will send some fucking mortars downfield. You have to be able to threaten great defenses with the vertical pass game. Quinn cannot. Elko will skull fuck this offense in front of 110,000 if we cannot open it up a bit. The blueprint is out there. If Sark thinks this team can win a NC he cannot be babysitting his 3rd yr starter. Shit or get off the pot. 

Irony of this is OU and Georgia mostly sat back with 2 deep safeties to protect their CBs from the deep ball, so I am not sure how applicable this is to what we are seeing.. People are not walking up and daring Texas to throw deep. Quinn still needs to get his shit together, but the deep ball has not affected the way defenses play Texas

• Hook 'Em 2

33 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Irony of this is OU and Georgia mostly sat back with 2 deep safeties to protect their CBs from the deep ball, so I am not sure how applicable this is to what we are seeing.. People are not walking up and daring Texas to throw deep. Quinn still needs to get his shit together, but the deep ball has not affected the way defenses play Texas

Nope. You’re right.

However, defenses send pressure because they know Quinn gets the yips and can’t elude pressure or reorient himself well in the pocket. He did a masterful job against Michigan, and where the hell has that gone? Against UGA, he just walked himself too far back, leaving the edges space to get to him, or bailed out to the right before he even needed to. He didn’t seem to be able to read his progressions while navigating the pocket. He couldn’t against OU either. His one TD pass against OU was on a scripted play where he really had one read. Even then, it was incumbent on Helm to score via YAC. He won’t take easy yards scrambling up the pocket anymore, either. He routinely did that last season. Otherwise, both OU and UGA got pressure rushing four because Quinn wouldn’t protect his own pocket and step up. It’s maddening  

I don’t understand how a fourth-year QB, a third-year starter, and a guy of Ewers’ supposed caliber is this inconsistent. If he’s not healthy and is guarding because of it, his ass shouldn’t be playing. Texas is trying to make the playoffs and win a title. I don’t give a shit about Quinn trying to protect his draft status.

If that’s not the case, maybe he’s just mentally fucked right now for some reason. He seems to have almost no idea what he’s doing lately when the easy read is no longer there. 

I also understand that Texas could very well lose that game had Arch played its entirety. UGA played extremely well on the front seven and the scheme matched in its execution. I just expect much more out of Ewers than how he has played since returning against OU. It's obvious he's not close to 100%.

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BornAndRaised said:

This got posted to the main 247 account and then deleted instantly.

Before I get negged, I'm not trying to incite panic or anything. Just looking for any kind of clarity. He missed the media availability today as well right?

There's a sliver of me that thinks this might be true. If he’s in a bad head space or is injured, he may possibly play himself out of millions with more bad performances.

Edited by MuellerHorn