Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

The media has been trying to stir a QB controversy at Texas for a year now.  All spring and summer it was "Why isn't Arch transferring?" And after Saturday lots of articles wishcasting a controversy into happening over Arch coming in for a couple of series.  So the simplest explanation is this is more of that.

Or it's true I guess.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 4

3 hours ago, Derka said:

here’s another response to my above post about QE and his limitations. if for nothing other than posterity, let’s all note that YOU guys can’t handle a differing opinion and that YOU guys are the insulting, combative, shit starters. oh and you’re also wrong, to boot. but don’t worry, i won’t hold my breath waiting for your apology or acknowledgement of this fact. 

d4mxnzne8b261.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

ill always hold a grudge against him.

last year was the year, if UT gets even avg qb play -  they beat washington and then beat Michigan in fucking Houston for the MNC

15 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

We actually win that game vs Washington if Quinn could put the ball in the right place at the end….  I’m not that much of a hater as I’m coming across as and I understand good qbs are few and far between but this is a Quinn thread and being real about his limitations at this point should be ok.  He cost us the playoff game vs Washington and cost us  the game yesterday.  Qb is a crazy position that a lot of us expect perfect from though.  Im also drunk again….  lol. 

Come on guys. Quinn Ewers has played two dogshit games in a row and it's fair to wonder how he + Texas will handle defenses with the personnel to replicate what Oklahoma and Georgia put on tape defending the Texas passing game. Stop there.

This Sugar Bowl stuff is revisionist history. Texas lost that game because it was a glaring matchup issue with the Washington offense, who played an excellent game in their own right. Sark not being particularly interested in running the ball wasn't really helpful either. And of course RBs fumbled twice when they did get touches. That Texas even had a chance to win that game was product of a ridiculously "lucky" break in the form on an injury to a Washington player stopping the clock, and had they pulled it off it would have been the most bullshit back-in of all back-ins. Texas didn't lose to Washington because of Quinn Ewers, they lost because they were outplayed and outcoached in nearly every facet of the game. That kind of thing can happen against really good opponents. Don't make more of it than it was.

• Hook 'Em 5

It honestly wouldn't be a bad move for him.  If he can convince teams his poor play was due to injury, he can probably still get a 2nd or 3rd round grade.  He has a ton of talent and looked great at the beginning of the year.  If he continues to play like shit, he'll go very late round and not be guaranteed to make a roster.  If he's forced back to college next season, he'll likely have to do it at a different school.  Lots of downside there. 

Edited by RabidM

2 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Listening to McShay on Russillo.  Was a surprising take re: Ewers v. Beck.  Basically, just that those three or four UGa defenders weren't going to be denied.  And that Beck was just as fucking bad as Ewers.  Not sure I fully agree with McShay re: Ewers, but interesting take from a couple of relatively neutral national guys that calmed me down a bit.  

Edited to add -- McShay basically said what Hookem10 did.

Beck was absolutely as bad as Ewers, and he had a better running game and field position to work with too.

For two top five QB prospects it was a shockingly awful display of QB play all around

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ruitxn said:

We all have the public persona and a private persona.  Sometimes I wonder what Sark’s gut feelings are about Manning’s true abilities.  It just appears to me there is a not of uncertainty with making a tough decision particularly perhaps since he loves his Qb guru public persona and doesn’t want to make a rash decision that tarnishes that.

Gimme a break. How do you know he cares so much about what you call his "guru public persona" that it would impact a decision?

What to do at QB is complicated because you don't want to generate a controversy unless that's the only way to go. You must decide what is the best chance for winning going forward. Add what it might mean to Ewers to bench him in his final year, and it will keep a person up at night.

I don't know what the answer is. I doubt that Sark's concern about his guru rep enters at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, kevwun said:

Can we fast forward through the next 3 pages of this thread?

Can there be anything duller or more typical of this board than a lengthy argument about what somebody claimed a year ago. 

I predicted four years ago that this phenomenon would ruin the football board. So many said I was an idiot. I shall now name them and demand apologies!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

that Georgia front had a great day. not many more teams out there that will do that to us. in fact, I want another crack at them. I think the speed and athleticism was more shocking to our oline and qb and it just snowballed in the first half. they played somewhat better second half but it was too late. I think Georgia front seven played their best game  and took advantage of it. I think Georgia loses another game tho honestly and our defense is legit. we also printed the blueprint on them for future opponents as we were stopping their offense. everyone chill out and lets beat them next time we play them. fuck Georgia and this is what college football is now with expanded playoffs. the great rosters will be playing multiple times so beat them when it counts. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I think the whole team gets better and better now. Ewers will get some pointed coaching. He's not always been this jumpy.

As far as his deep ball...sigh.

I think Arch would do fine, but he is still making some bad decisions. I think any absolute declarations about either of them would be ill-founded at the moment.

This team won't turtle.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm actually excited about seeing Arch in Columbus next year with the weapons he'll have. Baxter being back, Wisner a year older, Gibson being a year older and getting playing time, and just seeing if James Simon or Ricky Stewart can crack the rotation just a bit. 

Obviously I hope Clark can recover and go back to himself and not regress like Johnathan Gray. But the difference between the two is 1) medicine has surgery has improved since that time, and 2) Clark didn't have so many carries in HS that he needed two surgeries before ever making it to campus. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock
  • Hook 'Em 1

Ewers needs to go back to his developed footwork, taking multiple reads, and confidence in himself and body. WR need to take better routes and learn to cat call blitzes. Sark needs to do better as a play caller and calling audibles. The offense better play with a chip on their shoulder and Sark should coach with one too.

I hope they show up and cover this point spread against Vandy Saturday and some. If they do that, I'll be really impressed.

Edited by txexlonghorn23

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Imo the script is limited with Quinn because he’s so bad on deep throws. Knowing how Sark likes to call games I bet he’d love more shots deep early 

Yeah, even on his best days Ewers it not proficient at all on deep balls.

6 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

Ewers is playing hurt, he is throwing with his arm only and not putting his body into the throw.   He wasn't exactly very mobile to begin with but now he is a complete statue 

Let's hope so.

3 hours ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Listening to McShay on Russillo.  Was a surprising take re: Ewers v. Beck.  Basically, just that those three or four UGa defenders weren't going to be denied.  And that Beck was just as fucking bad as Ewers.  Not sure I fully agree with McShay re: Ewers, but interesting take from a couple of relatively neutral national guys that calmed me down a bit.  

Edited to add -- McShay basically said what Hookem10 did.

I wouldn't draft either of them before the 3rd round at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1