Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

I watched the Brooks Austin (Georgia "film guy") video breaking down Quinn's performance vs. Michigan after that game. He was very complimentary of Quinn's play and Sark's playcalling, but was also commenting on Wink Martindale running obvious Cover 3 the entire game which made it easier to pick them apart. 

Venables and Kirby use a lot more disguises and variety on defense, which seems to confuses and rattle QE. 

The most infuriating part of Quinn's game is his footwork. The guy spent a year at Ohio State and is on his 3rd year with Sark and Milwee. I have no doubt proper footwork has been taught and stressed by all. It just seems that once Quinn gets a little uncomfortable everything starts to fall apart, even the most basic fundamentals. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

We don't disagree and that last sentence is my point. The offense is dependent on execution in the passing game. That's true in almost every modern offense. Very few teams go out there and just run over a talented opponent. That's why Michigan stood out so much last year. Baxter would not have changed that on Saturday.

Hah.. I didn't think we were disagreeing. 

Yes, we agree and Sarks pro-style offense depends on the passing game more than pretty much any other in college right now.

I'm mean RPO is really, act like you're going to run, hit the man in the open field. Do that a few time THEN run it.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched the Brooks Austin (Georgia "film guy) video breaking down Quinn's performance vs. Michigan after that game. He was very complimentary of Quinn's play and Sark's playcalling, but was also commenting on Wink Martindale running obvious Cover 3 the entire game which made it easier to pick them apart. 

Venables and Kirby use a lot more disguises and variety on defense, which seems to confuses and rattle QE. 

The most infuriating part of Quinn's game is his footwork. The guy spent a year at Ohio State and is on his 3rd year with Sark and Milwee. I have no doubt proper footwork has been taught and stressed by all. It just seems that once Quinn gets a little uncomfortable everything starts to fall apart, even the most basic fundamentals. 

This is all true and why I'm absolutely convinced that it's 95% mental. Not health and say what you will about Sark, but I don't see him as a "juice the kid up and rub the sand out of his vagina, then put him in" sort of HC. He's arrogant and would play a healthy Arch over injured QE, imo.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched the Brooks Austin (Georgia "film guy") video breaking down Quinn's performance vs. Michigan after that game. He was very complimentary of Quinn's play and Sark's playcalling, but was also commenting on Wink Martindale running obvious Cover 3 the entire game which made it easier to pick them apart. 

Honestly between these two points and a less than sterling durability profile, I'm passing on Ewers in the draft if I'm an NFL GM unless he falls into Day 3 lotto ticket territory. I still think he could turn into a good pro if he gets to back up a veteran for a couple years but I think there's a high bust risk if someone takes him earlier and expects him to be a starter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Quinn and Sark. 

The list ends there.

Nah, don't get too hyperbolic. The 4 false starts and fucking retarded holds on returns were all varying degrees of back breaking. The awful punting. Can't sleep on how badly we lost on ST. That was a big factor in the outcome.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

We don't disagree and that last sentence is my point. The offense is dependent on execution in the passing game. That's true in almost every modern offense. Very few teams go out there and just run over a talented opponent. That's why Michigan stood out so much last year. Baxter would not have changed that on Saturday.

Nailed it 

On 10/20/2024 at 6:58 PM, tbone_ said:

Quinn has issues for sure. But I wouldn’t go so far as to compare the motherfucker to a damn aggy. That’s just low. And uncalled for.

I read this as Jules Winfield talking to Vincent Vega. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Nah, don't get too hyperbolic. The 4 false starts and fucking retarded holds on returns were all varying degrees of back breaking. The awful punting. Can't sleep on how badly we lost on ST. That was a big factor in the outcome.

Man you aren’t joking on those holds. Roberson shouldn’t see another snap for a while. 
also, fuck any and all returners on kickoffs that land inside the 5. Fuck right the fuck off. 

On 10/20/2024 at 7:53 PM, Hermanator said:

Went back and watched every Ewers throw in regular speed and slowed down, and I'm certain now he doesn't have the yips or some mental issue. That's a guy who isn't healthy. 

On all of his throws he's afraid or unable to torque the torso. When you watch closely you can see him square up so he doesn't have to torque, then he throws with his arm. That's why his throws the last two weeks look weak and floaty. He's not doing a proper plant and torque motion to get the ball out with force. He's clearly not able to throw the ball properly. 

That makes sense as QBs don't just regress from what he showed the first few weeks to this for no reason. This is a physical issue, and now the question I have is why did Sark play him. After he looked like that against OU, and clearly can't torque properly to throw, why did he play against Georgia? I'd even question why he played against OU if he wasn't showing the ability to throw with proper mechanics the two weeks prior. 

He should have been recovering and Arch should have kept playing. I can only think that Sark, being a former QB himself, wants to do anything other than potentially detail his QB's career. And I respect that, but when the guy is showing he can't throw he can't be playing in games. 

100. I'm trying to tell ya. Dude still ain't right.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

The false starts happen frequently under Quinn and it shows his lack of command over the offense. If Quinn would step up into the pocket and wait for plays to develop instead of bailing, we’d be scoring and ST wouldn’t be an issue. And even though our running game sucks, it’s still no excuse for Quinn’s passing game to look the way it does in Year 3.

I’m over tiptoeing around Quinn’s issues which were very apparent even during a 30 point RRS victory. It’s time to move on. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, CurlyDumps said:

Yeah.. that's fair. ST was a shit show for sure. 

16 hours ago, Derka said:

quinn is “calm as fuck.” 

giphy.gif?cid=9b38fe91sjdllp089n6haq9kkv

Yes he's still a calm QB that is dealing with a) an OL that got it's shit pushed in b) most likely still inured c) and when arch came in the offense didn't do any better. I get that you feel vindicated because you called that Quinn wasn't a great qb and people fought you on that, maybe even put you down for it. As a longhorn fan that just watched Texas get manhandled I can tell you, without a doubt, that there isn't anything I would rather do than to sit here and talk about how some of our players don't live up to their hype and never will. 

Jimmy Fallon Jokes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

8 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Well unfortunately for us a certain morbidly obese coach in college station also runs a disguise heavy defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

This is all true and why I'm absolutely convinced that it's 95% mental. Not health and say what you will about Sark, but I don't see him as a "juice the kid up and rub the sand out of his vagina, then put him in" sort of HC. He's arrogant and would play a healthy Arch over injured QE, imo.

"Playing QB is 90% mental; the other half is physical." --Yogi Royale

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gmr548 said:

Baxter definitely would have helped. His biggest contribution might have come without the ball though. Guy was teh best pass blocker last year. He would be a massive step up from Wisner and Blue in that regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Sure Quinn has a bad day.   But now you guys are scared of aggy???  Get the fuck out of here LOL!

You aren't paying close attention. Vanderbilt also plays smart D. They'll disguise their looks as well. A play book has been written to screw QE. It works. Every D we face will do their best to rinse and repeat what the last team did. Some are actually good at it.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Quinn isn’t going to make it in the league. 

Right now I only care  about the Vanderbilt game. I dont care about the draft. Care less about predictions people made about a player 2 years ago. I am just hoping he fixes whatever the fvck it is that is the root of his issues and plays well vs Vanderbilt, so I dont have to go through a bottle of bourbon watching a tight game. (Vandy is the SECs version of KSU. QB going to run around and they are going to bleed the clock, unless you can get up early on them)

• Hook 'Em 6

You aren't paying close attention. Vanderbilt also plays smart D. They'll disguise their looks as well. A play book has been written to screw QE. It works. Every D we face will do their best to rinse and repeat what the last team did. Some are actually good at it.

Not all of them have the same athletes Georgia rolled out on defense.  People had plans to stop QE last year and the year before.  Get ready, we’re going to kick some ass!

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Not all of them have the same athletes Georgia rolled out on defense.  People had plans to stop QE last year and the year before.  Get ready, we’re going to kick some ass!

Vandy does not have the speed to play with Texas skill players. They are not a team that gets after the QB. This should be a game, where Quinn unfucks himself. But until that actually happens, I am not taking anything for granted.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Yes he's still a calm QB that is dealing with a) an OL that got it's shit pushed in b) most likely still inured c) and when arch came in the offense didn't do any better. I get that you feel vindicated because you called that Quinn wasn't a great qb and people fought you on that, maybe even put you down for it. As a longhorn fan that just watched Texas get manhandled I can tell you, without a doubt, that there isn't anything I would rather do than to sit here and talk about how some of our players don't live up to their hype and never will. 

Jimmy Fallon Jokes GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

A) It has already been said by many posters, as well as well plenty of analysts that cover Texas and others that don't, that the OLine pass protected better than it first appeared on Saturday. Did they win the night; no. But they weren't awful.

B) If Quinn is still injured, there is no reason his ass should be playing. He's been bad two weeks in a row. His TD pass against OU was a one-read play and it only occurred because Gunnar is an absolute asset and fought for YAC. Ewers is a shell of his Michigan self right now.

1 hour ago, Horn Dogg said:

Sure Quinn has a bad day.   But now you guys are scared of aggy???  Get the fuck out of here LOL!

Quinn didn't just have a bad day. He had an abysmal performance that was made even worse by his glaring lack of composure, breakdown of fundamentals, and inability to do basic QB tasks like step up in a pocket and take the yards that are there. A&M isn't some shitty team this year. They can absolutely beat Texas. Kyle might be the loudest it has ever been, especially if A&M is playing for a shot at the SEC Championship Game. Elko is a defensive coach and won't be a fool with his game plan. Expect more disguised coverage schemes and pressure on Quinn, if he's playing.

100%

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No matter what Sarks says to the press, I would imagine Arch is getting some first team reps in practice this week and everyone will be more prepared for the contingency plan if things go sideways early vs. Vandy. 

He'd be an absolute fool not to begin prepping Arch for a starting role. I'm not saying Quinn should be replaced immediately, but Arch must to be prepared in case Texas needs to break glass. If Quinn looks like shit again, he needs to sit.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

A) It has already been said by many posters, as well as well plenty of analysts that cover Texas and others that don't, that the OLine pass protected better than it first appeared on Saturday. Did they win the night; no. But they weren't awful.

B) If Quinn is still injured, there is no reason his ass should be playing. He's been bad two weeks in a row. His TD pass against OU was a one-read play and it only occurred because Gunnar is an absolute asset and fought for YAC. Ewers is a shell of his Michigan self right now.

Quinn didn't just have a bad day. He had an abysmal performance that was made even worse by his glaring lack of composure, breakdown of fundamentals, and inability to do basic QB tasks like step up in a pocket and take the yards that are there. A&M isn't some shitty team this year. They can absolutely beat Texas. Kyle might be the loudest it has ever been, especially if A&M is playing for a shot at the SEC Championship Game. Elko is a defensive coach and won't be a fool with his game plan. Expect more disguised coverage schemes and pressure on Quinn, if he's playing.

100%

He'd be an absolute fool not to begin prepping Arch for a starting role. I'm not saying Quinn should be replaced immediately, but Arch must to be prepared in case Texas needs to break glass. If Quinn looks like shit again, he needs to sit.

He had an abysmal performance that was made even worse by his glaring lack of composure, breakdown of fundamentals, and inability to do basic QB tasks like step up in a pocket and take the yards that are there

This is the correct point. Its not like he just had a day where his accuracy was off and he faced pressure. It was a complete breakdown of his fundamentals. This is 2 games in a row. He faced pressure, but he probably created about 50% of it (random guess) with poor pocket presence. This is more about how he has looked, than the stats.  Sark is former Qb, he did not want to bench Quinn. Last thing he wanted was to introduce the idea of Arch starting to the fan base. It was that bad. To be honest outside a brief moment in the 3Q, it really did not get better. The 4Q was brutal also.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

Random quiz of the day (and age test for some of you).  Who was more hyped as an incoming QB?

a. Quinn Ewers

b. Shea Morenz

I didn't come to Texas until 1994, so I don't know anything about Shea Morenz's recruiting, but by that time it seemed like the general consensus on him was "meh."

40 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Vandy does not have the speed to play with Texas skill players. They are not a team that gets after the QB. This should be a game, where Quinn unfucks himself. But until that actually happens, I am not taking anything for granted.

Quinn threw bad picks against CSU and UTSA. And we all know he can help pressure find its way home. 

The biggest difference here is, there are no more training wheels for this guy. His potential doesn’t matter anymore, if he can’t get it done against Vandy, Arch will. Then Arch will be QB1 going into the bye. 

• Hook 'Em 3

25 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I didn't come to Texas until 1994, so I don't know anything about Shea Morenz's recruiting, but by that time it seemed like the general consensus on him was "meh."

He was a big deal.  Dual-sport kid.  Highly ranked.  Mackovic kid.  Couldn't stay healthy.  Knee and then shoulder issues.  Went on to be a pretty solid baseball player.  

3 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Quinn threw bad picks against CSU and UTSA. And we all know he can help pressure find its way home. 

The biggest difference here is, there are no more training wheels for this guy. His potential doesn’t matter anymore, if he can’t get it done against Vandy, Arch will. Then Arch will be QB1 going into the bye. 

Yep.  They don't have the horses in the secondary so they are going to stack the LOS, try and get as much pressure as they can and make Texas beat them over the top.  These slow developing plays are going to be a problem.  Texas needs quick strikes and sustained drives.  They beat AL by keeping their defense on the field most of the game and wearing them down.  

4 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I have said this is probably the biggest game in Quinn's career. He has to show something and he has to do it in the 1st half. Leash is much smaller today then it was 3 weeks ago

3 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

He was a big deal.  Dual-sport kid.  Highly ranked.  Mackovic kid.  Couldn't stay healthy.  Knee and then shoulder issues.  Went on to be a pretty solid baseball player.  

I recall he had a hell of a game against Colorado in the 1994 season (when our defense handed Rashaan Salaam the Heisman - I was there; sweated my ass off), but don't remember him doing much else that year, and probably because of injury, which opened the door to James Brown.

2 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

He's played well against defenses that disguise well before. It isn't that he doesn't know what he's looking at. It's he wasn't able or willing to push himself to stay in the pocket and make plays even if it means getting hit. That led to bailouts and bad mechanics and poorly thrown passes. 

Nobody left on the schedule or in the country has a defensive front as talented and fast as Georgia's. They don't always play like it because that's a program in decline with major discipline issues, but they're the most talented front in the country and the few times they get motivated they play way above their tape. 

Nobody else is doing that to our offensive line and QB. Hell, now that we've seen it, I don't think they could do it again like that to us either. 

The only thing that matters is getting Ewers right. Whatever that means and whatever it takes. The rest of the team will take care of business. 

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, MuellerHorn said:

100%

I think you're taking my comment personal Mr. Flood. Jalon Walker (81.8 PFF grade) had 16 pass rushing snaps. He had 3 TFL, 3 sacks, a qb hit, and 4 qb hurries. Damon wilson torched cam williams and strip sacked Arch who wasn't rattled or injured. Mykel williams had two sacks and a forced fumble. 7 sacks is a rough night. Those guys as a group are better than our OL as a group, they will be drafted really high. Kelvin Banks held his own a few times but got pushed around a few times also which he is unfamiliar with. Quinn was a problem for sure but we walked in there thinking we could hang athletically with a team that is stacked along their front 7 and we paid dearly for it. To the ewers being injured bit, I believe CTJ mentioned that the father rushed Quinn back because they are on a timer now. His previous injury they slow played but this one they treated differently. An injured quinn knows this offense a thousand times better than a RS freshman arch manning. In sark we trust for decisions like that.