Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

1 hour ago, BlackCat said:

I’m not trying to be a pants pisser, but we aren’t winning a championship with this version of Ewers. He looked like a guy who knew we were screwed in this game. Something is going on. I can only speculate Sark feels like he’s caught between a rock and a hard place because Manning isn’t showing him what he’s wanting to see to feel confident about making the switch.

Clemson fan here - as at least one other poster said, this is reminiscent of us with the whole KB/Trevor thing.   Back then, people suggested that Dabo had made a pre-season pact with KB that he'd be the starter.  Same thing with DJU (but that's a whole other deal).  I have no doubt that is a thing with some coaches/QBs, esp when there is someone waiting in the wings.  And from an outsider, I wonder if Sark made a similar promise to QE..

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, statsman said:

That looks damning, but in 2024, Quinn has played 4 1/4 games, and three of them were against teams bringing a lot of heat all the time. 

We already know Quinn's deep ball is poor, so we don't really have to guess how the rest of the season is going to play out with that stat.

The sentiment here is that with the running game we have currently that arch is our best shot at winning out? What freshman or RS freshman have led their teams without an elite running game to a conference title or college football playoff? 

Edited by WinningIsHard
Fat fingers

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The sentiment here is that with the running game we have currently that arch is our best shot at winning out? What freshman or RD freshman have led their teams without an elite running game to a conference title or college football playoff? 

The running game could find more space to operate with Arch’s legs and better deep ball to account for. 
But you are right about us lacking an elite run game. 

26 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Can you post

Pro Football Focus Week 8 SEC QB Grades

10/20/2024

A Sunday morning tradition unlike any other, PFF has released their post-Week eight grades for SEC Quarterbacks for the 2024 season. Here’s how each QB rated out after another crazy weekend of college football and where they ranked nationally.

Only three quarterbacks moved up in the grade and national ranking from week seven to week eight, and all three are freshmen. Nico Iamaleava, LaNorris Sellers, and DJ Lagway each saw a bump after all three got huge wins on Saturday.

Jalen Milroe and Quinn Ewers saw the most significant falls in grades after their putrid outings against ranked opponents. Milroe was especially bad, missing ten open receivers amidst his career high 20 incompletions. Ewers was harassed all night by Kirby Smart’s defense and saw his national rank drop from No. 105 to No. 230 overall in FBS while his grade dropped 11 points from 74.9 to 63.9.

Here are the SEC QB Grades through week eight.

1. Jaxson Dart , Ole Miss

Grade: 90.7

Nat’l Rank: 8

2. Diego Pavia , Vanderbilt

Grade: 89.4

Nat’l Rank: 16

3. Arch Manning, Texas

Grade: 88.6

Nat’l Rank: 24

4. Garrett Nussmeier, LSU

Grade: 85.7

Nat’l Rank: 40

5. Taylen Green, Arkansas

Grade: 83.9

Nat’l Rank: 48

6. Carson Beck, UGA

Grade: 83.2

Nat’l Rank: 53

7. Payton Thorne, Auburn

Grade: 80.1

Nat’l Rank: 68

8. Jalen Milroe, Alabama

Grade: 79.5

Nat’l Rank: 71

9. Brady Cook, Missouri

Grade: 74.9

Nat’l Rank: 110

10. DJ Lagway, Florida

Grade: 72.5

Nat’l Rank: 139

11. Brock Vandagriff, Kentucky

Grade: 71.1

Nat’l Rank: 154

12. Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee

Grade: 66.5

Nat’l Rank: 201

13. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina

Grade: 64.5

Nat’l Rank: 218

14. Quinn Ewers, Texas

Grade: 63.9

Nat’l Rank: 230

15. Conner Weigman, Texas A&M

Grade: 63.6

Nat’l Rank: 235

16. Michael van Buren, Mississippi State

Grade: 63.1

Nat’l Rank: 241

17. Jackson Arnold, Oklahoma

Grade: 60.5

Nat’l Rank: 260

18. Michael Hawkins, Oklahoma

Grade: 50.8

Nat’l Rank: 300

https://www.louisianasports.net/pro-football-focus-week-8-sec-qb-grades/

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dec3169 said:

I wondered during the game if Quinn was sick.  His face was flushed all night and he looked completely indecisive. 

Is mono or COVID going around in Austin?  They can cause facial flushing, and more importantly brain fog.

He looked like I did when I got the bad version of COVID in 2021 (regarding the brain fog).  I work remote, and still called my boss and told him I was out until I could put simple thoughts together.  I was worried I would miss something and cause really bad stuff to happen (I worked on OT security for refineries).

I beat that in a day and a half and was back working in 2 days, but the brain fog was awful.  It also took about 2 weeks for my nose to work again but that was not a work issue unless I had to physically go into refineries.

vaginitis presents those symptoms as well

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

The guy definitely seems like a douche but he knows football for sure. I have watched the first 25 minutes and the first two drives the Georgia defense is blanket covering our wr's and dominating our OL on run plays. He keeps saying it's good film study but it seems like they knew what plays we were calling lol. 

I don't doubt the quality of the content, I'm just not up to putting myself through the experience again. Detailed analysis of the slow-motion horror show that was Saturday night is not something I can sit through. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Being ranked 230 means either means 100 FCS teams' QBs are better, or most of the CFP schools have backups better.

Not a Good Look.

Look on the bright side, Quinn is better than 87 college QBs.

Are you?  I thought not.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pro Football Focus Week 8 SEC QB Grades

10/20/2024

A Sunday morning tradition unlike any other, PFF has released their post-Week eight grades for SEC Quarterbacks for the 2024 season. Here’s how each QB rated out after another crazy weekend of college football and where they ranked nationally.

Only three quarterbacks moved up in the grade and national ranking from week seven to week eight, and all three are freshmen. Nico Iamaleava, LaNorris Sellers, and DJ Lagway each saw a bump after all three got huge wins on Saturday.

Jalen Milroe and Quinn Ewers saw the most significant falls in grades after their putrid outings against ranked opponents. Milroe was especially bad, missing ten open receivers amidst his career high 20 incompletions. Ewers was harassed all night by Kirby Smart’s defense and saw his national rank drop from No. 105 to No. 230 overall in FBS while his grade dropped 11 points from 74.9 to 63.9.

Here are the SEC QB Grades through week eight.

1. Jaxson Dart , Ole Miss

Grade: 90.7

Nat’l Rank: 8

2. Diego Pavia , Vanderbilt

Grade: 89.4

Nat’l Rank: 16

3. Arch Manning, Texas

Grade: 88.6

Nat’l Rank: 24

4. Garrett Nussmeier, LSU

Grade: 85.7

Nat’l Rank: 40

5. Taylen Green, Arkansas

Grade: 83.9

Nat’l Rank: 48

6. Carson Beck, UGA

Grade: 83.2

Nat’l Rank: 53

7. Payton Thorne, Auburn

Grade: 80.1

Nat’l Rank: 68

8. Jalen Milroe, Alabama

Grade: 79.5

Nat’l Rank: 71

9. Brady Cook, Missouri

Grade: 74.9

Nat’l Rank: 110

10. DJ Lagway, Florida

Grade: 72.5

Nat’l Rank: 139

11. Brock Vandagriff, Kentucky

Grade: 71.1

Nat’l Rank: 154

12. Nico Iamaleava, Tennessee

Grade: 66.5

Nat’l Rank: 201

13. LaNorris Sellers, South Carolina

Grade: 64.5

Nat’l Rank: 218

14. Quinn Ewers, Texas

Grade: 63.9

Nat’l Rank: 230

15. Conner Weigman, Texas A&M

Grade: 63.6

Nat’l Rank: 235

16. Michael van Buren, Mississippi State

Grade: 63.1

Nat’l Rank: 241

17. Jackson Arnold, Oklahoma

Grade: 60.5

Nat’l Rank: 260

18. Michael Hawkins, Oklahoma

Grade: 50.8

Nat’l Rank: 300

https://www.louisianasports.net/pro-football-focus-week-8-sec-qb-grades/

Carson Beck??? O TD’s, 3 picks and 56% for a 4.3 average. 83.2 for that? That seems like solid info. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Carson Beck??? O TD’s, 3 picks and 56% for a 4.3 average. 83.2 for that? That seems like solid info. 

I think it's for the season overall, updated with latest info.

Incidentally, Beck's receivers didn't help him out as they dropped quite a few in the last game.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I think it's for the season overall, updated with latest info.

Incidentally, Beck's receivers didn't help him out as they dropped quite a few in the last game.

According to OTFs count it was 5 uncontested drops, with 3 of those coming on 3rd down.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn can’t hit the deep ball, is bothered by pain in intermediate throws, and has difficulty moving to one side.  The whole world knows this.  We can’t put a QB out there with those deficits and expect to win many.  Blanket coverage of receivers and massive rush all day long.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, someguy said:

Sark said in his press conference yesterday that Ewers is/was not hurt.  I appreciate why some in this thread are grasping at those straws, but believe what Sark said.

I’m all for Sark, all for Quinn, but he said Quinn was ready each of the last 2 games.   He was not.  Just sayin.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, someguy said:

Sark said in his press conference yesterday that Ewers is/was not hurt.  I appreciate why some in this thread are grasping at those straws, but believe what Sark said.

I wonder if Sark was surprised to hear Ewers say that it is still bothering him.

Just now, someguy said:

Sark said he thinks he isn't hurt and being impacted but he doesn't know if Ewers is 100%. Ewers also said in an interview that "it is there" in regards to the injury.

The question is, is the oblique "there" in terms of actual pain in the oblique or is the "oblique" there in terms of the mind of a QB who has been hurt and missed significant game action his Jr year of HS, his RS Freshman year of college, his Soph year of college and now his Jr year of college.  Every year Quinn Ewers has taken meaningful snaps for the team he QBs he has missed games due to injury.  

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, nbmishoid said:

Quinn can’t hit the deep ball, is bothered by pain in intermediate throws, and has difficulty moving to one side.  The whole world knows this.  We can’t put a QB out there with those deficits and expect to win many.  Blanket coverage of receivers and massive rush all day long.  

QE won't wait 2 seconds for the play to develop before he is throwing the check down to a receiver 3 yards behind the line of scrimmage. 

This becomes exponentially worse when QE won't run the ball. There was one obvious play QE handed the ball to the RB (who got swallowed by 2 defenders), instead of pulling the ball and running to the open field.  His aversion to contact is crippling the running game and giving Texas very little chance for success.

IF QE can't or won't play his position the way he is supposed to, he needs to be sitting down.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, txexlonghorn23 said:

Sark said he thinks he isn't hurt and being impacted but he doesn't know if Ewers is 100%. Ewers also said in an interview that "it is there" in regards to the injury.

I commented on this before, perhaps in a different thread when someone posted a tweet with his comment, but it shouldn't be hard to see if there is a difference between how he plays in practice, which we aren't privy to, versus in the last two games.

If he's stepping into his throws, showing proper mechanics, completing passes and basically getting the job done in practice, then this is all in his head. If he isn't, I have a hard time understanding why Sark has been playing him. His throwing mechanics were great against Michigan.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

That was for the season, but Quinn only played what? 2 1/2 games before injury? 

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

The sentiment here is that with the running game we have currently that arch is our best shot at winning out? What freshman or RS freshman have led their teams without an elite running game to a conference title or college football playoff? 

Best chance of winning out is Quinn returning to pre-injury 2024 Quinn. No one here knows if that is possible. 

This is his last chance earning this golden UT QB NIL though to get it done. If he flounders the rest of the season and doesn't like his draft grade he's gotta transfer. 

With Arch it's a complete unknown. Can he navigate Vanderbilt, Arkansas on the road, Kentucky, aggy on the road? How much can he improve from today to the playoffs? It's all still up in the air no matter which way Sark goes, but I gotta believe he gives Quinn every chance to get right this week. Also, only Sark and Quinn know how hurt Quinn really still was the last 2 games. We have no idea. 

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, someguy said:

If that's the case then Cooper and his giant hat need to be in Arch's ear making sure he's preparing to be the starter the rest of the year. If Sark is saying it's mental then I don't know if Quinn can get that fixed in one week. That will be supremely disappointing after what he showed to start the season. Dude should hang it up after the season if he can't stay healthy and can't play without fear of further injury. 

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I commented on this before, perhaps in a different thread when someone posted a tweet with his comment, but it shouldn't be hard to see if there is a difference between how he plays in practice, which we aren't privy to, versus in the last two games.

If he's stepping into his throws, showing proper mechanics, completing passes and basically getting the job done in practice, then this is all in his head. If he isn't, I have a hard time understanding why Sark has been playing him. His throwing mechanics were great against Michigan.

it is much different. QBs dont get hit in practice. Not saying it is or not happening in practice, but it is easy to step into a throw when you know you are not going to get hit. I do agree that it seems more likely that it is in his head, than Sark is a blind donkey and cant see the poor mechanics in practice.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I think it is a mental thing too. We all saw him improve over three years and this is twice now after an injury he regresses back to 2022 tendencies. I don't get it, he needs to toughen up. It is frustrating watching Nussmeier at LSU get up from big hits and keeps playing tough, then QE gets hurt and plays scared when he comes back. He looks like he lost all confidence and swagger he had starting the season.

Edited by txexlonghorn23

7 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

That was for the season, but Quinn only played what? 2 1/2 games before injury? 

Best chance of winning out is Quinn returning to pre-injury 2024 Quinn. No one here knows if that is possible. 

This is his last chance earning this golden UT QB NIL though to get it done. If he flounders the rest of the season and doesn't like his draft grade he's gotta transfer. 

With Arch it's a complete unknown. Can he navigate Vanderbilt, Arkansas on the road, Kentucky, aggy on the road? How much can he improve from today to the playoffs? It's all still up in the air no matter which way Sark goes, but I gotta believe he gives Quinn every chance to get right this week. Also, only Sark and Quinn know how hurt Quinn really still was the last 2 games. We have no idea. 

We have some idea, one driven by observation and outcomes.  Call it hurt, call it a messed up head, whatever. I think putting him out there a third time misses one game for the next option to get in and start getting better.

Just now, Codaxx said:

it is much different. QBs dont get hit in practice. Not saying it is or not happening in practice, but it is easy to step into a throw when you know you are not going to get hit. I do agree that it seems more likely that it is in his head, than Sark is a blind donkey and cant see the poor mechanics in practice.

That was my whole point.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

While true, in the games he's not just failing to step up in the pocket and set his feet. He's squaring up and not torquing the core on the throws as well. Is it that much in his head he's afraid to even do that? Or is he still in pain and trying to fight through it? Seems like both to me. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they hit him with some Toradol before the game and he just didn't do well even with that. Of course it's all speculation since we weren't there. Very puzzling though that Sark seems to be saying he's fine and Quinn seems to be saying he's still feeling it. Quite the disconnect publicly between HC/OC and QB

12 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

While true, in the games he's not just failing to step up in the pocket and set his feet. He's squaring up and not torquing the core on the throws as well. Is it that much in his head he's afraid to even do that? Or is he still in pain and trying to fight through it? Seems like both to me. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they hit him with some Toradol before the game and he just didn't do well even with that. Of course it's all speculation since we weren't there. Very puzzling though that Sark seems to be saying he's fine and Quinn seems to be saying he's still feeling it. Quite the disconnect publicly between HC/OC and QB

I think the point is that it seems unlikely that practice Quinn's mechanics look anything like what we are seeing in the last 2 games.

• Hook 'Em 2

If Quinn remains in this timid state, then Arch is the right call. But Quinn has been exactly this way in previous seasons coming off of injury, where he regresses and plays scared. He can't focus and execute. Eventually, he gets it together. He was clearly not right throughout the entire OU game, although it was worse in the first half. So there was a strong chance he'd start poorly against Georgia because he hadn't really put it together by the end of OU. It's unfortunate we didn't have a lesser opponent for Quinn to continue rehabilating against following OU. Perfect storm so to speak.
He may still regain his composure, and if he does, he's the guy assuming he can do so quickly enough. I agree with Codaxx though, that his leash is short now, and frankly, I'd think so for the remainder of the season even if he plays well against Vandy. He can't afford anymore regression this season IMO and Arch has to be prepared to come in and start at any time.

Didn’t they show stats during the game that stated otherwise? I want to say they mentioned a couple of times how great he was coming back from injury.