Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

People wanted to move on from Colt after his sophomore year

He had a pretty subpar sophomore season. I don’t think we had any other options really. But Colt got bigger and stronger and worked his ass off and came back and had phenomenal junior and senior seasons. Meanwhile, Ewers is in Year 3 and he’s going backwards, maybe due to injury.
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

What are the coaches possibly seeing that we aren't?
Lots of very valid points from lots of people, not just on this board, that Quinn needs to be QB2. I'm one of them.
I think I'm a pretty smart guy, but I certainly think Sark and the other offensive coaches are way smarter than me when it comes to who should be QB1. So, what am I missing?

How many starts has Ewers lost in the last two years?

10 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Colt was throwing tons of picks his sophomore year. I remember he struggled and we were like damn next year is make or break. And Colt came out on fire. Colt’s 3rd year as a starter in 2008 was great. Quinn’s 3rd year as a starter is not. Were we talking about Colt’s footwork in Year 3? Because that’s where we are. The OL has its issues but Quinn is taking sacks regularly like Ndamukong Suh is on defense because he’s a statue in the pocket. 

1 minute ago, MrBig said:

Colt was throwing tons of picks his sophomore year. I remember he struggled and we were like damn next year is make or break. And Colt came out on fire. Colt’s 3rd year as a starter in 2008 was great. Quinn’s 3rd year as a starter is not. Were we talking about Colt’s footwork in Year 3? Because that’s where we are. The OL has its issues but Quinn is taking sacks regularly like Ndamukong Suh is on defense because he’s a statue in the pocket. 

And because he’s a pussy

14 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

Lots of very valid points from lots of people, not just on this board, that Quinn needs to be QB2. I'm one of them.
I think I'm a pretty smart guy, but I certainly think Sark and the other offensive coaches are way smarter than me when it comes to who should be QB1. So, what am I missing?

The politics of the situation is what is preventing the switch imo

26 minutes ago, MrBig said:

You are conflating the idea that moving on from Quinn means we are saying Arch is going to win us a championship. That is not what is being said. What we are saying is that Quinn is NOT going to lead us to a title, so every snap with Quinn is just wasting time when we can be giving snaps to someone who could potentially lead us back to the top. 

Those of us who are over 35 have seen Colt and Vince play with our own eyes and we can clearly see that Quinn is not even in the same stratosphere as them. You know it when you see it. 

I am starting to realize that many of the posters here may not have been old enough to remember the VY/Colt days. Some of these people were probably like 12 years old when Colt was playing in the championship game. So they dont really know what a generational talent looks like. 

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Yes, because the next time he benches Ewers for Arch, it’s probably permanent.

That's my thought as well. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Quinn only has 5 games left as a Horn. UK, UF, Ark, A&M, and bowl game.

If Arch is the future, we should make the switch now. Superior passer and escapability as a runner. 

No sense in closing the season with Quinn just to watch him get his passes batted down repeatedly and turn the ball over. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

Quinn only has 5 games left as a Horn. UK, UF, Ark, A&M, and bowl game.

If Arch is the future, we should make the switch now. Superior passer and escapability as a runner. 

No sense in closing the season with Quinn just to watch him get his passes batted down repeatedly and turn the ball over. 

We need to make the switch now, to be prepared for next year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Should have been permanent against Georgia. As others have said, Quinn isn't winning a title. Will Arch? Who knows but he's the future and that might as well start now. Why balk on this season just to watch Quinn dork around out there?
  • Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
10 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Should have been permanent against Georgia. As others have said, Quinn isn't winning a title. Will Arch? Who knows but he's the future and that might as well start now. Why balk on this season just to watch Quinn dork around out there?

I think we lose to aggy if we dont make the switch. We have to have a dynamic offense and we do not have that right now. So unless Ewers makes a 180 against a Florida, then we really need to make the change, I agree. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

That is true. And Quinn definitely has his moments. He's a good-to-very-good college quarterback, but not a great one.

I kind of feel bad for him, because I don't think his resume necessarily translates into the draft status he wants. NFL scouts will note that he's (1) injury prone; (2) inconsistent with the deep ball; (3) inconsistent with his footwork (a real red flag); and (4) can evidence a certain passivity in the face of difficulties. 

But what’s the record when he’s started this season and last? Who has he lost to? I’m not crediting him for shit. I’m asking a couple questions.

Something and 3. He lost OU and Washington last year and he’s 5-1 this year, I guess.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tired Horn said:

That is true. And Quinn definitely has his moments. He's a good-to-very-good college quarterback, but not a great one.

I kind of feel bad for him, because I don't think his resume necessarily translates into the draft status he wants. NFL scouts will note that he's (1) injury prone; (2) inconsistent with the deep ball; (3) inconsistent with his footwork (a real red flag); and (4) can evidence a certain passivity in the face of difficulties. 

A very poor man’s Jeff George. 

5 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

When Quinn is in zone, we are impossible to stop. The problem is that he goes through long stretches of being out of the zone, particularly after injury. I don't know how we fix this. It really seems all mental with him. 

This post isn't getting enough love/attention. 

When Quinn isn't being a fucking enormous pussy he's HIM. 

the problem is that he's very much been a pussy the last 3 games. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ewers had 73% completion today and two tipped fluke interceptions. The holding and targeting is what killed us today, not Ewers. Also miscommunication or something with protection assignments from the backs and line. There were only a couple of plays where Ewers could've had better foot work.

Edited by txexlonghorn23
  • Hook 'Em 6

21 minutes ago, txexlonghorn23 said:

There were only a couple of plays where Ewers could've had better foot work.

Wrong. He is stunned and befuddled by rush packages that should be a cakewalk at this point. 

This isn't about irrational hatred of Quinn. It is about irrational faith in Quinn.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, txexlonghorn23 said:

There were only a couple of plays where Ewers could've had better foot work.

Yeah, no. That's just not reality. They made changes at the half and basically shut him down. He was flustered and unsure throughout the 2nd half, regardless of if we were ahead of or behind the chains. The line play clearly didn't help, but the rush was in his head and he was starting to panic. 

Had they game planned better at the start, we might have been proper fucked.

Edited by RichUT
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Tired Horn said:

he's above avg to good but not consistent 

should have went pro last year 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

This game reminded me a lot of K State last year. Should have been a blow out but gave them a short field on a dumb pick that gave them life. Also seemed like half of our explosive momentum plays were wiped out by penalties. Definitely a couple of questionable ones. It's a 17 point win if not for the targeting.

Also that fuckin one TD on 4th down that they got. What a fluke. Dude just throws it and it gets tipped and somehow the Vanderbilt receiver is all world on that specific play.

Edited by Pam Cummings
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

Yeah, no. That's just not reality. They made changes at the half and basically shut him down. He was flustered and unsure throughout the 2nd half, regardless of if we were ahead of or behind the chains. The line play clearly didn't help, but the rush was in his head and he was starting to panic. 

Posts like this man. We hate this dude so much. We committed two huge defensive penalties to extend drives for them, eat clock, and both directly lead to 14 points. One that was picked off and returned almost to the end zone could've been a 14 point swing. That limited our offensive possessions. We had one tipped ball INT.  We throw the deep corner in the EZ to Wingo. Well thrown ball but db makes a play. Field goal. We get a holding call making it 3rd and 11. Can't expect to pick that up. We run it twice from the 5 and get 0 yards on both. Field goal.

Quinn is fine when you protect him just like any other QB. The problem is we aren't. For whatever reason dudes are coming completely unblocked several times a game. That can't happen. For example on the last tipped ball. Helm comes across the formation to sneak out in the flat and runs right by a blitzing nickel. If he just sticks a forearm out to slow him down it changes the dynamics of the play. Chip him and keep running. The little things matter and we aren't doing them. There are ways you can align to make it harder to bring guys from the edge without seeing them. How many screens did we run to punish them for blitzing? Do you remember any? Guys are coming off the edge where is the back? How man RB draws are we running? We ran one and it popped for big yards. Have we moved the pocket at all? No.

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 4

15 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

Both tipped picks are dumb by Ewers imo. The first one too was an easy completion and lots of room to run if dude just fucking throws it over the defender with some touch.

Nah I meant the 4th down Pavia TD you mentioned 

Definitely not great, but better than I remember on initial watch. Climbed the pocket much better this week, expected against a worse DL though. Definitely playing rushed at times. Took a lot of hits, we’ll see Arch again if that keeps happening. 

16 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Definitely not great, but better than I remember on initial watch. Climbed the pocket much better this week, expected against a worse DL though. Definitely playing rushed at times. Took a lot of hits, we’ll see Arch again if that keeps happening. 

As I said earlier, Quinn was way better than the previous week. He was 18/19 at one point. Fans on here are taking for granted his special ability to often deliver a good ball to the right receiver. He even went downfield a few times. 

The OL protection was really bad at times, and defenses are sitting back to take away the downfield throws. 

However, Quinn is definitely not playing at an elite level. He gets flustered by the rush, still doesn’t have the right pocket maneuverability, and still should be able to deliver more balls downfield despite the coverage. He definitely is mentally tentative. He gets that way every year, right after an injury. It’s weird. 

It’s a tough call for the staff. Arch was a bit shaky too, but offset that with his legs. None of us know if Arch can deliver a good ball to the right receiver as often as Quinn does. 

If they can somehow get breathing room in the Florida game they really need to get Arch some series. That will tell the staff whether he can do better. 

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

As I said earlier, Quinn was way better than the previous week. He was 18/19 at one point. Fans on here are taking for granted his special ability to often deliver a good ball to the right receiver. He even went downfield a few times. 

The OL protection was really bad at times, and defenses are sitting back to take away the downfield throws. 

However, Quinn is definitely not playing at an elite level. He gets flustered by the rush, still doesn’t have the right pocket maneuverability, and still should be able to deliver more balls downfield despite the coverage. He definitely is mentally tentative. He gets that way every year, right after an injury. It’s weird. 

It’s a tough call for the staff. Arch was a bit shaky too, but offset that with his legs. None of us know if Arch can deliver a good ball to the right receiver as often as Quinn does. 

If they can somehow get breathing room in the Florida game they really need to get Arch some series. That will tell the staff whether he can do better. 

Yeah I think people should watch the video of his snaps above. He wasn't as bad as they're remembering. He mostly made good decisions with the ball. Only saw a couple of bad throws in there. His passes look a lot more accurate than they have post-injury. I'd say this game was more of a fuckup by the OL, TEs, and RBs' blocking. Not a whole lot he could do on some of those plays with free rushers in his face.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 4

My concern is it took him 2 drives (iirc) of swing passes to get the confidence to throw down field or to the middle of the field again after the interception. We tried to get him into a rhythm the same way against Georgia but that dink dunk shit doesn’t work against fast defenses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, txexlonghorn23 said:

Ewers had 73% completion today and two tipped fluke interceptions. The holding and targeting is what killed us today, not Ewers. Also miscommunication or something with protection assignments from the backs and line. There were only a couple of plays where Ewers could've had better foot work.

Nicolas Cage Laughing GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, jet black said:

My concern is it took him 2 drives (iirc) of swing passes to get the confidence to throw down field or to the middle of the field again after the interception. We tried to get him into a rhythm the same way against Georgia but that dink dunk shit doesn’t work against fast defenses. 

I would guess that it wasn’t confidence, but instead a change in safety coverage to cover the swing passes, finally leaving the downfield more open. 

Which brings up a bigger issue than Quinn, imo. Sark’s offense uses motion, misdirection, and check downs to deal with opposing defenses. When you now have the talent Texas has on offense, I’m concerned they can’t just line up and bludgeon defenses. Or, like the old Lincoln Riley offenses at OU, just run a passing offense that is difficult to stop when playing outmanned teams. 

It’s like Sark has gotten too cute with his schemes and has forgotten about implementing good old San Francisco 49rs or Baltimore Ravens tough running offense. They can’t consistently run the ball without misdirection. With the talent they have in the line, they should be able to do that against everyone but Georgia and maybe A&M. 

• Hook 'Em 5

52 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

39 minutes ago, jet black said:

These are two really good posts

7 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

The coaches are aware of the problem. The East-West passing game that would've made Greg Davis happier than a puppy with two peters isn't a mistake.

They've made the decision to ride or die with Quinn and they are trying to scheme around his deficiencies.

Edited by Braff Zacklin

9 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I would guess that it wasn’t confidence, but instead a change in safety coverage to cover the swing passes, finally leaving the downfield more open. 

Which brings up a bigger issue than Quinn, imo. Sark’s offense uses motion, misdirection, and check downs to deal with opposing defenses. When you now have the talent Texas has on offense, I’m concerned they can’t just line up and bludgeon defenses. Or, like the old Lincoln Riley offenses at OU, just run a passing offense that is difficult to stop when playing outmanned teams. 

It’s like Sark has gotten too cute with his schemes and has forgotten about implementing good old San Francisco 49rs or Baltimore Ravens tough running offense. They can’t consistently run the ball without misdirection. With the talent they have in the line, they should be able to do that against everyone but Georgia and maybe A&M. 

I think the fact that all our power backs are banged up is the main reason for this.

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

The coaches are aware of the problem. The East-West passing game that would've made Greg Davis happier than a puppy with two peters isn't a mistake.

They've made the decision to ride or die with Quinn and they are trying to scheme around his deficiencies.

Sark did talk about calling the plays that Quinn does well rather than continuing to call stuff he (Sark) wants to. This was earlier in the year before things became a cluster fuck. 

I'm not a football wizard like the rest of you guys, but I can smell chickenshit when I step in it.

Does anyone have access to data on the % of check downs or behind the LOS throws? The one thing that keeps eating at me is the completion percentages....every time the announcer sucks Quinn's dick and highlights his great performance for the day, I ask myself "half of those were at / behind the LOS". I'm not convinced its fear, or the line not protecting him, or if he just simply cannot read the defense and find opportunities....but damn, the number of frantic / scared / confused check downs is uninspiring.

There's lies, damned lies, and statistics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

I think most of this is because of the injuries at running back.  Blue isn't running over anyone.  Wisner is a tough dude, but he's also undersized.

• Hook 'Em 4

There's nothing wrong with the majority of your throws being within 5 yards of the LOS.  That's a smart way to play if your QB has a quick release, is accurate, and progresses quickly through reads (Quinn, at times, has all 3 of those tools). A 10-play drive of 4 runs, 4 short throws, and 2 longer shots is great as long as that drive scores. And whether or not that is a scoring drive is up to more than the QB (although he's #1 on the list).

I don't think Sark is an idiot who is only playing Quinn because of politics. I don't think Sark cares that little about winning.

• Hook 'Em 3

Quinn is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you will get.  That's too bad, seems like a really nice young man with some potential.  However, he's not getting the job done.  For that matter neither is the O-line.  Time for some coaching magic, sacrifice a chicken, or some divine intervention.  I really don't care about the labor, just show me the W. 

32 minutes ago, Izhmash said:

Does anyone have access to data on the % of check downs or behind the LOS throws?

ESPN had a great passing map from the OU game. Cant find the article again. 

Basically all the completions were spread across the width of the field at the depth of the line of scrimmage. 

Then 2 or 3 completions beyond — the rest were all incompleted or intercepted.

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

Texas is allowed to game plan as well.