Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

There was a play where he ran away from a ghost. It's in his head. Not sure if it's injury or concern for reinjury or something else, but he's playing differently.

Was that the play he nearly fell trying to run to his left? There was some pressure to his right, but it was picked up.

2 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Was that the play he nearly fell trying to run to his left? There was some pressure to his right, but it was picked up.

The one where the defender wasn’t writhing 5-7 yards of him and he tripped over himself and was lucky to just throw the ball away and not take a 10 yard sack?

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

As I said earlier, Quinn was way better than the previous week. He was 18/19 at one point. Fans on here are taking for granted his special ability to often deliver a good ball to the right receiver. He even went downfield a few times. 

18/19 isn't that impressive when only 2 of the completions were beyond 5 yards of the LOS and none beyond 10 yards.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, txexlonghorn23 said:

Ewers had 73% completion today and two tipped fluke interceptions. The holding and targeting is what killed us today, not Ewers. Also miscommunication or something with protection assignments from the backs and line. There were only a couple of plays where Ewers could've had better foot work.

Easy to throw 73% completions when 90% of the throws are behind the LOS. 

• Hook 'Em 1

His batted passes resulting in INTs were not some freak plays by the defenders who he couldn't see. They were right in front of him. He was staring down at the WRs and didn't try to pump fake to shake off the defenders. If a guy is standing in front of you with his arms up, perhaps don't throw at him?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The occasional tipped pass happens.  It's not a huge deal when it just has a minor effect on the ball's trajectory because someone got a finger on the ball.  The low trajectory of his passes to the middle of the field let linemen get a lot of hand on the ball and they get popped up above many defenders.

Edited by kevwun

3 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Posts like this man. We hate this dude so much. We committed two huge defensive penalties to extend drives for them, eat clock, and both directly lead to 14 points. One that was picked off and returned almost to the end zone could've been a 14 point swing. That limited our offensive possessions. We had one tipped ball INT.  We throw the deep corner in the EZ to Wingo. Well thrown ball but db makes a play. Field goal. We get a holding call making it 3rd and 11. Can't expect to pick that up. We run it twice from the 5 and get 0 yards on both. Field goal.

Quinn is fine when you protect him just like any other QB. The problem is we aren't. For whatever reason dudes are coming completely unblocked several times a game. That can't happen. For example on the last tipped ball. Helm comes across the formation to sneak out in the flat and runs right by a blitzing nickel. If he just sticks a forearm out to slow him down it changes the dynamics of the play. Chip him and keep running. The little things matter and we aren't doing them. There are ways you can align to make it harder to bring guys from the edge without seeing them. How many screens did we run to punish them for blitzing? Do you remember any? Guys are coming off the edge where is the back? How man RB draws are we running? We ran one and it popped for big yards. Have we moved the pocket at all? No.

You’ve got your mind made up that people “hate him” so you’re gonna ride that narrative until he’s gone, whatever. The reality is 99% of this board wants to see this guy succeed and be great but it’s not happening. The idea that he’s “fine if you protect him just like any other QB,” as an acceptable outcome for a guy who is starting his third year as a heisman contender with spots in national ad campaigns is absurd. Performing like an average college QB is a fail for this guy, plain and simple. That’s the curve he’s being graded on and that’s the expectation he’s created. We shouldn’t have to call a perfect game to protect the third year preseason heisman favorite QB, and that guy should be able to make up for shortcomings elsewhere. So yeah, folks are frustrated even when he put together a nice half.

Honest question - if Quinn and Pavia switch teams what does this outcome look like? Is it any different? If not, is that acceptable in your eyes?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Quinn looks scared out there. He completes a lot of short passes to the LOS which are reminiscent of GDGD offense unless the receiver can make a play and pick up YAC. His advocates then love to point out his completion percentage but a high completion percentage for short yardage does not win big games. Defenses can scheme for that.

He often overlooks open receivers downfield. When he does throw downfield, it feels like every pass is just a prayer left up to chance, a literal Hail Mary. His first TD pass to Moore looked great but then he makes horrendous deep passes that make you wonder if the nice TD was just blind luck. It was the long ball that happened to fall in the right place.

I think it’s roughly 80% mental and 20% physical at this point. I guess the good news is that mental problems can sometimes be worked out, especially with 2 weeks before the next game. We can at least hope that Sark gets him to snap out of it. Confidence is a fickle thing.

It feels a lot like 2001 again, except that I would trust Chris Simms a lot more than Quinn Ewers. I expected us to beat Colorado that year and I believed Simms would get it done. With Quinn, I fear the opposite. I expect to go 1-1 against piggy/aggy due to him having a wtf game. I’d love to be wrong.

I think people clamoring for Arch have merely reached the conclusion that we’ve hit our ceiling with Quinn and they are ready to turn the page and move on to the guy we all hope will actually win a championship at Texas, even if that isn’t this year.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

He's always had a batted ball issue so I don't think you can chalk those up to bad luck.  It's because he's throws sidearm a lot.

I agree with the sidearm delivery being part of it plus he's not especially tall, 6'2"-6'1" range and probably closer to 6'1" I'd guess.  It seems like he has 2-3 tipped/batted down passes each game.  He's about Colt McCoy height but I don't remember Colt having as many tipped passes.

Besides his tipped passes and holding onto the ball too long a few times, I think Ewers played pretty well overall yesterday.

Just wanna say, it's kind of odd that the two areas for which we had the most supreme confidence going into the year - QB and OL - seem to be the weak spots on the team.  In my unprofessional opinion, I think pass rushers are teeing off full speed on Quinn because he refuses to move in the pocket.  Just a step to the left, up, or right would alleviate so many of the sacks he's taking.  Yes, I know this has already been mentioned, but I'm speaking to the speed and angles at which he receives pressure.  It's almost as if the DL and LBs are told to just go straight at him because he'll f up whether they get to him or not.

/I don't really know what I'm trying to say.  I think I'm still hung over since the Horns forced my into my bourbon stash far earlier than I expected yesterday - first 2 mins.

6 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Just wanna say, it's kind of odd that the two areas for which we had the most supreme confidence going into the year - QB and OL - seem to be the weak spots on the team.  In my unprofessional opinion, I think pass rushers are teeing off full speed on Quinn because he refuses to move in the pocket.  Just a step to the left, up, or right would alleviate so many of the sacks he's taking.  Yes, I know this has already been mentioned, but I'm speaking to the speed and angles at which he receives pressure.  It's almost as if the DL and LBs are told to just go straight at him because he'll f up whether they get to him or not.

/I don't really know what I'm trying to say.  I think I'm still hung over since the Horns forced my into my bourbon stash far earlier than I expected yesterday - first 2 mins.

A lot of this is because he’s glacially slow to react. 

I think the game is too fast for him now. No idea why, but that’s how he’s playing. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces

7 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Quinn's a game manager, not a playmaker.  If a unit is sup par, he is going to be sub par.  He doesn't elevate the play of anyone.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That seems off. Didn’t Moore have one that was clearly longer?

I'm speaking of where the ball was caught. Moore's TD was thrown from the 25 and caught on the 21/20 yard line. 

I only watched the twitter link of Quinn's snaps once so it's possible I missed a throw greater than 5 or 10 yards.

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

There's nothing wrong with the majority of your throws being within 5 yards of the LOS.  That's a smart way to play if your QB has a quick release, is accurate, and progresses quickly through reads (Quinn, at times, has all 3 of those tools). A 10-play drive of 4 runs, 4 short throws, and 2 longer shots is great as long as that drive scores. And whether or not that is a scoring drive is up to more than the QB (although he's #1 on the list).

I don't think Sark is an idiot who is only playing Quinn because of politics. I don't think Sark cares that little about winning.

I'm guessing if there's "politics" involved, it's a commitment to the Manning family not to play Arch before he's "ready."

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

And he’s a giant pussy that is trying to prevent himself from getting injured because his NFL prospects

The stupidest fucking stupid argument. How you haven't been negged off of this board astounds me.

31 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Quinn looks scared out there. He completes a lot of short passes to the LOS which are reminiscent of GDGD offense unless the receiver can make a play and pick up YAC. His advocates then love to point out his completion percentage but a high completion percentage for short yardage does not win big games. Defenses can scheme for that.

He often overlooks open receivers downfield. When he does throw downfield, it feels like every pass is just a prayer left up to chance, a literal Hail Mary. His first TD pass to Moore looked great but then he makes horrendous deep passes that make you wonder if the nice TD was just blind luck. It was the long ball that happened to fall in the right place.

I think it’s roughly 80% mental and 20% physical at this point. I guess the good news is that mental problems can sometimes be worked out, especially with 2 weeks before the next game. We can at least hope that Sark gets him to snap out of it. Confidence is a fickle thing.

It feels a lot like 2001 again, except that I would trust Chris Simms a lot more than Quinn Ewers. I expected us to beat Colorado that year and I believed Simms would get it done. With Quinn, I fear the opposite. I expect to go 1-1 against piggy/aggy due to him having a wtf game. I’d love to be wrong.

I think people clamoring for Arch have merely reached the conclusion that we’ve hit our ceiling with Quinn and they are ready to turn the page and move on to the guy we all hope will actually win a championship at Texas, even if that isn’t this year.

Agreed with all of this. If fat fuck Elko can pull weigman(father is heavily involved) then sarkisian can do the same damn thing and not look back. This team is far too talented to have a statue at QB setting them back

Edited by PortAHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

That seems off. Didn’t Moore have one that was clearly longer?

13 minutes ago, Genco said:

I'm speaking of where the ball was caught. Moore's TD was thrown from the 25 and caught on the 21/20 yard line. 

I only watched the twitter link of Quinn's snaps once so it's possible I missed a throw greater than 5 or 10 yards.

Sorry, the "full body of Quinn's work" twitter link did not include Moore's first TD. That was 27 yards and wasn't included in the numbers I posted earlier. 

Edited by Genco

24 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Our play calls are also predictable AF and its clear Sark has given up on Blue. Doesnt help the situation

4 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Posts like this man. We hate this dude so much. We committed two huge defensive penalties to extend drives for them, eat clock, and both directly lead to 14 points. One that was picked off and returned almost to the end zone could've been a 14 point swing. That limited our offensive possessions. We had one tipped ball INT.  We throw the deep corner in the EZ to Wingo. Well thrown ball but db makes a play. Field goal. We get a holding call making it 3rd and 11. Can't expect to pick that up. We run it twice from the 5 and get 0 yards on both. Field goal.

Quinn is fine when you protect him just like any other QB. The problem is we aren't. For whatever reason dudes are coming completely unblocked several times a game. That can't happen. For example on the last tipped ball. Helm comes across the formation to sneak out in the flat and runs right by a blitzing nickel. If he just sticks a forearm out to slow him down it changes the dynamics of the play. Chip him and keep running. The little things matter and we aren't doing them. There are ways you can align to make it harder to bring guys from the edge without seeing them. How many screens did we run to punish them for blitzing? Do you remember any? Guys are coming off the edge where is the back? How man RB draws are we running? We ran one and it popped for big yards. Have we moved the pocket at all? No.

Look, this is a spot on post. The issue here isn't whether Quinn is good or he sucks. He's very very good we've all seen it with our eyes. He's got the best natural arm in possibly a decade of CFB. 

The context he is judged on now is as a guy who has made millions of dollars, who made the CFP last year, who chose to come back instead of going into the NFL draft to improve his NFL draft stock. 

An NFL quarterback makes all these throws, knows how to have pocket presence, move the pocket around and not self sack or get balls tipped up. Does it happen in the NFL still? Sure, but rarely and every player in the NFL is freak level talent. 

Quinns issue is he is surrounded by NFL talent and is clearly not on their level and is the limiting factor on the offense right now. Not because he can't make the throws, we've seen him do it, but because he WONT make the throws because he's a fucking pussy ass bitch who is all in his head. 

I nearly broke the fucking TV when I saw him yucking it up on the sideline. The game was nowhere near arch coming in because it was a blowout and there was nothing to be yucking it up about. 

The guy has a serious problem and it's not with ability, cieling or talent. He is the anti-clutch. Any time he's needed to clutch except the Alabama game he's folded. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, TexArcher said:

I agree that the banged-up RB room is affecting the QB play.  If we had CJ Baxter, everything would be different, and it will be next year.

I know we all want to see us run the ball more, but the reality is that we don't have a 3rd and 3 type of running back on this active roster.  And, Sark is likely afraid of getting another RB hurt if we start calling a ton of running plays.  We're pretty much forced into trying to use the horizontal passing game as a running game sometimes, but everybody and their mother knows that's what we're doing. 

All of that aside, I'm hoping that having two weeks off will get Quinn right.  If we can get him playing the way he did in the first three games, we're gonna win out and go to Atlanta.  If not, we're gonna lose to aggy or Arky, and maybe both.  So, if Quinn's struggles continue in the Florida game, I want to see both quarterbacks get drives.  I know, everybody hates the two-quarterback thing, and I usually do, too, but Arch's speed immediately fixes our predictability problem, which I believe is the #1 problem we've got.  It's not just that Quinn isn't 100%, it's also that defenses have a very good idea of what's coming.  Give Arch some series and we give them a lot more to have to think about.

Or, 100% Quinn is back for Florida, and not a moment too soon.  We'll see, but it has to be one of those two options.

I'm feeling optimistic about Florida because of the bye week. Think we'll get Bond back, blocking will get sorted out, and Quinn will start rounding into form.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, immamac said:

Look, this is a spot on post. The issue here isn't whether Quinn is good or he sucks. He's very very good we've all seen it with our eyes. He's got the best natural arm in possibly a decade of CFB. 

The context he is judged on now is as a guy who has made millions of dollars, who made the CFP last year, who chose to come back instead of going into the NFL draft to improve his NFL draft stock. 

An NFL quarterback makes all these throws, knows how to have pocket presence, move the pocket around and not self sack or get balls tipped up. Does it happen in the NFL still? Sure, but rarely and every player in the NFL is freak level talent. 

Quinns issue is he is surrounded by NFL talent and is clearly not on their level and is the limiting factor on the offense right now. Not because he can't make the throws, we've seen him do it, but because he WONT make the throws because he's a fucking pussy ass bitch who is all in his head. 

I nearly broke the fucking TV when I saw him yucking it up on the sideline. The game was nowhere near arch coming in because it was a blowout and there was nothing to be yucking it up about. 

The guy has a serious problem and it's not with ability, cieling or talent. He is the anti-clutch. Any time he's needed to clutch except the Alabama game he's folded. 

I think being unable to read a defense just looks like being a pussy ass bitch. He’s probably not actually a pussy ass bitch 

24 minutes ago, Genco said:

The other one on the left sideline. The 2nd TD for Texas. Not even a question about that being over 10 yards

• Hook 'Em 2

I think immamac should do you a favor for your mental health and give you a break for a bit. The level of hate for this guy is consuming you in a way that has you obsessed…like an aggy would be with something.

Was it last season when you were positing your theory that Quinn and his Dad were holding him out longer than actually necessary with his injury because he cared more about the draft than his team?

I don’t have the time to find that post but it’s just weird with you.

* just to be clear, I’ve been pretty disappointed in the level of play from Quinn this year.

1 minute ago, B00M said:

I think being unable to read a defense just looks like being a pussy ass bitch. He’s probably not actually a pussy ass bitch 

You think he's just stupid? I mean that could be it I'd like to believe that isn't the case. 

Best natural arm in CFB? Wtf does that even mean? Give me a fucking unnatural arm then. The dude is awful on the deep balls and has been his whole career. He can’t throw it on a rope to a spot 30 yards down field regularly… 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I'm feeling optimistic about Florida because of the bye week. Think we'll get Bond back, blocking will get sorted out, and Quinn will start rounding into form.

I hope so.  It would be nice to curbstomp somebody before we go on the road again.

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

You think he's just stupid? I mean that could be it I'd like to believe that isn't the case. 

I think Quinn is a pure rhythm passer. When he can drop back in a clean pocket and hit his 1st read he is amazing.  You saw that when Vandy was playing back for most the 1st half. When that 1st read is taken away, Quinn gets uncomfortable in the pocket and his footwork reverts.. That said he was better vs Vandy. The one Moore TD was vs a 6 man blitz. He also struggled some in the second half, albeit in some terrible self-inflicted (offensive penalties, not his) down and distances. Not sure what to think about Quinn’s Vandy game. I do know, Texas is not going to see people hang back in zone the rest of the year. The book is out. Everyone is going to come after Texas, until Texas proves they can handle the blitz 

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn's pocket presence was slightly better yesterday, but he still gets jittery when it isn't clean for him. He clearly was thinking about stepping up into the pocket more this game, which he did more often than not. He had a few opportunities to move to the right and extend the play that he failed to do because he was probably just looking to step up in the pocket. 

He can throw the ball well enough in general, but becomes gets average to below average when asked to do things outside of the structure of the offense.