Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

54 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

It shouldn't be lost that Texas high point total against a P4 school was Arch leading us to 35 against Mississippi State.

That's the best a Texas QB has played this year. 

The really frustrating thing with Ewers is that he can play like an elite college QB for a quarter or a half, and then an adjustment is made, and then he looks like a slower dumber Case McCoy and can't complete a pass 10 yards past the LOS. I don't envy the position Sark is in here. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Not a cat said:

I have absolutely no inside info, but I've always read it as a commitment to the ewers family.  

Well, if that were true, I think you'd hear more grumbling from the Mannings, like the media outlets keep trying to generate from whole cloth.

Unlike the current trend of vying to  start as a true freshman under threat of portaling out, the Mannings seem to place value in the old school redshirt year and careful development culminating in two or three years of QB1 starting followed by a profitable NFL career.

Sark knows that Quinn failing here as a QB will reflect poorly on his QB development record. 

We really needed Quinn when we got him and he helped us accelerate the program’s perception. He is also currently one of the aspects holding his team back from ascending even further.

Tough situation. Hope he gets his head out of ass and gets drafted day 1 or 2

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

As for Sark loosing the "goodwill of the fan base" lol Mack had Simms Applewhite and he survived 14 years after that. The scum of the fan base is irrelevant they wanted to move VY to wide receiver after Mizzou 04.

At the Georgia game I wanted to absolutely deck one of our "own" over the Georgia fan sitting right next to me. Let that sink in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Wadlington on Ewers. I have felt for awhile now that he is biting his tongue on the Ewers vs. Arch deal. Like going back to the spring. 

"The 10-20 yard intermediate balls hitting receivers on the move that used to be a fixture of the Texas offense have all but disappeared."

"27 of Ewers’ 36 attempts were targeted behind the LOS or 0-9 yards down the field. That’s 75% of all drop backs. Unsurprisingly, his average depth of target for the game was a modest 5.5 yards.

While the deep ball hasn’t been a significant part of his game most of the season, he has always created explosives through the intermediate game (10-20 yards), which was a co-equal part of his passing attempts.

For the season, Ewers is completing only 50% of of his intermediate balls and they’ve made up only 19.1% of his total attempts. Since the injury, they represent 16% of his passing repertoire.

In 2023, 28.6% of his attempts were intermediate and he completed 68.6% of them at 12.6 yards per attempt.

#3’s stat line of 27 of 37 for 288 and three touchdowns is nothing to denigrate – yards is yards – but two interceptions and four sacks contributed to scoring friction. Both interceptions were on play action. The first a batted RPO, the second a play action tip. I don’t think you can really attribute either play to the QB – it sort of goes into the column of “stuff that can happen when you throw those concepts” – but this isn’t the first time we’ve seen it. Perhaps some QBs are more prone to this sort of thing dependent on their timing, ability to find passing windows or their release point.

On the season, Ewers is dead last in the SEC in ADOT (average depth of target) and ranked 285th in college football of all QBs. Stats often lie, but those don’t.

Texas has been reduced to a nickel and dime passing offense."

Somehow Scipio's stuff always seems revelatory and to make a lot of sense to me.  /fanboi

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Re-Watching the first half, that Quinn can’t beat every team Texas plays. 

I think you probably meant "can"? But that's the problem. Chances are you're not getting that version of Quinn for four quarters. And against comparable athletes? No chance.

Something I’ve been chewing on that isn’t making sense is, honestly, who can consistently cover our receiver core? Damn near every passing play the back is leaving the backfield. It’s odd we’re not seeing more 11 personnel leaving a back or a TE in to help slow down the pass rush. Ewers is a much better QB when he has time. This constant 6 vs 5 blitzes and never moving the pocket is like smashing your head into the wall over and over again. The OL is “supposed” to be good. But at this point it’s clear they’ve been exposed and need help.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, if that were true, I think you'd hear more grumbling from the Mannings, like the media outlets keep trying to generate from whole cloth.

Unlike the current trend of vying to  start as a true freshman under threat of portaling out, the Mannings seem to place value in the old school redshirt year and careful development culminating in two or three years of QB1 starting followed by a profitable NFL career.

The Mannings know Arch will be the starter for three years if he so chooses.

22 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't know if Sark is being serious with his praise for Quinn, or if he is trying to help him get drafted high or help get his confidence back.

https://atozsports.com/college-football/texas-longhorns-news/steve-sarkisian-texas-qb-quinn-ewers-was-a-stud-in-throwing-three-tds-vs-vanderbilt/

He’s obviously just trying to build confidence in Quinn. 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Sark knows that Quinn failing here as a QB will reflect poorly on his QB development record. 

We really needed Quinn when we got him and he helped us accelerate the program’s perception. He is also currently one of the aspects holding his team back from ascending even further.

Tough situation. Hope he gets his head out of ass and gets drafted day 1 or 2

I hope Sark isn’t even entertaining that thought. The best should play or else leaving a guy in that struggles to throw the ball down field is more effective in making him look like a poor developer and overall decision maker. Sark has easily highlighted Ewers and his ability to play qb at a high level. At this point it’s up to Ewers to show he can do it consistently enough. It’s a mental thing that is not always coachable for a player, some guys have and others don’t. It sucks for a guy like Ewers, who by all means has given everything to this program and university but we have a championship caliber team right now. Sark needs to know what exactly he’s going to get from his Qb for 4 quarters, not 2 or 2 1/2, but all 4. 

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think you probably meant "can"? But that's the problem. Chances are you're not getting that version of Quinn for four quarters. And against comparable athletes? No chance.

Ha correct on the typo. I’m still optimistic and happy for the bye week. There’s more wrong than Quinn. The penalties are killing us

9 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Okay buddy. If that's what you think then you aren't seeing what's going on out there. It is a combination of Sark not doing him any favors with the playcalling and guys busting assignments. The problem is you guys, through your dislike of Ewers, think that QBs should be able to play through these shenanigans without it affecting them and that's just not how things work. Let me take you through a few of them.

This first one is one we are all too familiar with. Cam gets beat immediately barely getting even a touch on him. This is meant to look like some type of run action as Ewers fakes the handoff. They turn the DT loose and the left guard is supposed to come down the line and pick him up. This is meant to freeze them and make their eyes check for run but they aren't fooled and just go straight for Ewers. By the time Ewers hits his back foot on the drop its time to get out of there.

This next one the LG and the RB block no one leaving a man to come straight up the middle completely untouched. Quinn has to eat this one.

This next one the RG falls down almost immediately and the rusher is in Quinn's face preventing him from stepping into the throw and it ends up not having enough on it. At home all we see is Quinn underthrowing a ball but don't stop to look at why.

This next one is questionable but you can see why Quinn made the decision he did. LG gets beat to the inside and Quinn has to sidestep it in order to make a play. Problem is there is also a free rusher off the edge. He resets. Golden is dragging across the field into a waiting defender. Ewers could throw this ball but he would have to throw it behind him and hope it doesn't get deflected upwards. I can see why he ate it, but I can also see where he could've thrown it back shoulder.

Another slow developing play action play where we are asking the LG to come down the line and kick out the DE. Of course the LG cannot do it. The guy beats him and puts Ewers on the ground. Ewers completes the play but....

This next one is interesting. This is 12 personnel. The action is meant to look like counter, but Vandy could care less and simply comes after Ewers never bothering to check for run. It's only a two man route so if there is a throw to be made it's going to take a sec for it to develop. The blitzing guy off the edge takes away any quick throw by being in the throwing lane forcing Ewers to eat it. Slow developing play in the face of an overly aggressive defense.

This next play is another slow developing play action Shenahan style OZ zone fake where your QB peels out the back door to levels concepts. Quinn fakes the handoff and by the time he turns around a defender is in his face. As Helm comes across the line he has an opportunity to chip that guy and buy Quinn a little time but runs right by him. If he chips him Quinn has time to make that throw to 11 on the second level.

This one below is another bust by Cam. He gets beat to the inside. Funny part is we kept the back over there to help but he had his eyes in the wrong place. Had he just stayed home the rusher spins back into him and this doesn't happen. Count the 1000's in your head and will barely get to 3 by the time Ewers is wrapped up. Look at the receivers. All of them but Helm have their backs to him still running their routes so there was nowhere to go to the football.

Again watch the routes. By the time the receivers are making breaks Cam has again been beaten to the inside and Ewers has to escape. Sure he looked totally uncoordinated stumbling and all but you cannot let your man repeatedly beat you to the inside. That's a death sentence on your passing game.

Another slow developing play action but this time on the goal line. DJ gets beat to the inside. Someone comes off the edge completely untouched. I am not sure what the protocol is here but I would think as a back you would try to get a piece of the guy coming off the edge. You do and that opens the throwing lane for Ewers.

It's my personal opinion we aren't helping the kid at all. Sark is putting him in horrible positions with his playcalling, and guys are busting assignments with regularity. Sark is calling plays like teams respect our running game. They don't. Any play action he calls they just ignore the action and rush Quinn. So abandon the play action in favor of straight dropbacks. Have a back chip the shoulder of the man rushing against Cam on his way out in the flat to help him out. Move the pocket. Screen teams and punish them for blitzing. Do anything but the same thing expecting a different result.

56 is a complete liability in the passing game. These are damning. He’s baddddddd. Who’s behind him on the depth chart?

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Lol. Okay buddy. If that's what you think then you aren't seeing what's going on out there. It is a combination of Sark not doing him any favors with the playcalling and guys busting assignments. The problem is you guys, through your dislike of Ewers, think that QBs should be able to play through these shenanigans without it affecting them and that's just not how things work. Let me take you through a few of them.

This first one is one we are all too familiar with. Cam gets beat immediately barely getting even a touch on him. This is meant to look like some type of run action as Ewers fakes the handoff. They turn the DT loose and the left guard is supposed to come down the line and pick him up. This is meant to freeze them and make their eyes check for run but they aren't fooled and just go straight for Ewers. By the time Ewers hits his back foot on the drop its time to get out of there.

This next one the LG and the RB block no one leaving a man to come straight up the middle completely untouched. Quinn has to eat this one.

This next one the RG falls down almost immediately and the rusher is in Quinn's face preventing him from stepping into the throw and it ends up not having enough on it. At home all we see is Quinn underthrowing a ball but don't stop to look at why.

This next one is questionable but you can see why Quinn made the decision he did. LG gets beat to the inside and Quinn has to sidestep it in order to make a play. Problem is there is also a free rusher off the edge. He resets. Golden is dragging across the field into a waiting defender. Ewers could throw this ball but he would have to throw it behind him and hope it doesn't get deflected upwards. I can see why he ate it, but I can also see where he could've thrown it back shoulder.

Another slow developing play action play where we are asking the LG to come down the line and kick out the DE. Of course the LG cannot do it. The guy beats him and puts Ewers on the ground. Ewers completes the play but....

This next one is interesting. This is 12 personnel. The action is meant to look like counter, but Vandy could care less and simply comes after Ewers never bothering to check for run. It's only a two man route so if there is a throw to be made it's going to take a sec for it to develop. The blitzing guy off the edge takes away any quick throw by being in the throwing lane forcing Ewers to eat it. Slow developing play in the face of an overly aggressive defense.

This next play is another slow developing play action Shenahan style OZ zone fake where your QB peels out the back door to levels concepts. Quinn fakes the handoff and by the time he turns around a defender is in his face. As Helm comes across the line he has an opportunity to chip that guy and buy Quinn a little time but runs right by him. If he chips him Quinn has time to make that throw to 11 on the second level.

This one below is another bust by Cam. He gets beat to the inside. Funny part is we kept the back over there to help but he had his eyes in the wrong place. Had he just stayed home the rusher spins back into him and this doesn't happen. Count the 1000's in your head and will barely get to 3 by the time Ewers is wrapped up. Look at the receivers. All of them but Helm have their backs to him still running their routes so there was nowhere to go to the football.

Again watch the routes. By the time the receivers are making breaks Cam has again been beaten to the inside and Ewers has to escape. Sure he looked totally uncoordinated stumbling and all but you cannot let your man repeatedly beat you to the inside. That's a death sentence on your passing game.

Another slow developing play action but this time on the goal line. DJ gets beat to the inside. Someone comes off the edge completely untouched. I am not sure what the protocol is here but I would think as a back you would try to get a piece of the guy coming off the edge. You do and that opens the throwing lane for Ewers.

It's my personal opinion we aren't helping the kid at all. Sark is putting him in horrible positions with his playcalling, and guys are busting assignments with regularity. Sark is calling plays like teams respect our running game. They don't. Any play action he calls they just ignore the action and rush Quinn. So abandon the play action in favor of straight dropbacks. Have a back chip the shoulder of the man rushing against Cam on his way out in the flat to help him out. Move the pocket. Screen teams and punish them for blitzing. Do anything but the same thing expecting a different result.

Thanks. He played fine. The pics were not bad decisions, just bad outcomes. A few more downfield strikes and he would have been kicking ass, which we'll need him to do in some games down the stretch.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I get where people are coming from with the sentiment that Ewers needs to play better.  I also completely agree that I think that the OLine, Sark, and some WR issues are not making things easier (In particular see Klatt's analysis post-GA).  That being said, the team is 7-1.  Ewers is not playing his best post-injury obviously and he only looked great v. Michigan.  There  is no way Sark makes the change if Ewers plays like he did v. Vandy.  Not because he gives a shit about his QB guru bullshit.  But because like others have said, if he has to go to Manning - then that feels more like a permanent solution than a temporary one.  IMHO Ewers stays in until he plays himself out of an SEC Championship game or National Championship playoff spot. That could happen mid-game against Florida, Kentucky or Arkansas if he Sark feels he is shitting the bed.  I just don't think it happens in those three games.  

Finally, I am not willing to believe the person who started Tua over Jalen Hurts is somehow not capable of pulling a similar move here.  

• Like 1

Losing Baxter has seriously hurt Quinn. He was elite in pass pro, and now teams are teeing off because Blue is just atrocious at pickup up blitzers. I am not sure how much better Wisner is, but if we can't get that group to be somewhat competent we are going to drop at least another game this season. Arkansas, Kentucky, A&M, and Florida all have athletic pass rushers. I wonder if we should go back to 12 personnel more because this shit ain't working.   

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

What we really don't want to happen is Ewers to come back another year because of what that means.

He knows this is his final year at Texas. Whether it's his final year as a college QB remains to be seen.

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Losing Baxter has seriously hurt Quinn. He was elite in pass pro, and now teams are teeing off because Blue is just atrocious at pickup up blitzers. I am not sure how much better Wisner is, but if we can't get that group to be somewhat competent we are going to drop at least another game this season. Arkansas, Kentucky, A&M, and Florida all have athletic pass rushers. I wonder if we should go back to 12 personnel more because this shit ain't working.   

I want to know what happened to Gibson.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

wisner is better in pass pro.  blue is  much better receiver.  generally I view them as equivalent running the ball.

• Hook 'Em 1

@Thatguy

The plays you chose were certainly ones where other guys were failing more than Quinn. 

The main argument is that Quinn isn’t a playmaker nor a leader. Is he helping lead the offense or is he just taking it as it goes?

When things break down as often as they are clearly doing so, what is he doing to help the situation?

What about the plays where he rushes a throw into coverage when he could have extended the play for a positive outcome? Making teams defend our guys for a longer period of time works heavily in our favor. 

• Hook 'Em 4

16 minutes ago, deech said:

I get where people are coming from with the sentiment that Ewers needs to play better.  I also completely agree that I think that the OLine, Sark, and some WR issues are not making things easier (In particular see Klatt's analysis post-GA).  That being said, the team is 7-1.  Ewers is not playing his best post-injury obviously and he only looked great v. Michigan.  There  is no way Sark makes the change if Ewers plays like he did v. Vandy.  Not because he gives a shit about his QB guru bullshit.  But because like others have said, if he has to go to Manning - then that feels more like a permanent solution than a temporary one.  IMHO Ewers stays in until he plays himself out of an SEC Championship game or National Championship playoff spot. That could happen mid-game against Florida, Kentucky or Arkansas if he Sark feels he is shitting the bed.  I just don't think it happens in those three games.  

Finally, I am not willing to believe the person who started Tua over Jalen Hurts is somehow not capable of pulling a similar move here.  

If Ewers is not willing to hit the intermediate throw between the numbers this is a huge problem against teams like Ark, Kentucky, and maybe even Florida.  I get that Vandy is well coached and seems to be plucky but they won't have the athletes the other teams will have.

Ewers could be afraid to throw a pick, Sark may be telling him don't unless you are sure, Ewers may not trust his OL. whatever it is we have to hit those throws because our running game is average and especially average if we are getting big runs getting called back every time.

Edited by dcar00

20 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You want the record that goes along with the reason why the decision was made?

No.  We want Sark to make the change while we still have the record we have now.

Elko made that call last night and aggy went from the verge of getting run out of their own building to dominating LSU based on his decision to bench Wiggy.

Some players just have "it", but in 3 years, Ewers hasn't shown he's one of them.

Arch, however, has shown he has "it" in the few games he's played 

• Hook 'Em 2

18 minutes ago, deech said:

Brian Daboll is on the Texas staff?

Sark never coached Jalen Hurts outside of the one national title game loss to Clemson

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

@Thatguy

The plays you chose were certainly ones where other guys were failing more than Quinn. 

The main argument is that Quinn isn’t a playmaker nor a leader. Is he helping lead the offense or is he just taking it as it goes?

When things break down as often as they are clearly doing so, what is he doing to help the situation?

What about the plays where he rushes a throw into coverage when he could have extended the play for a positive outcome? Making teams defend our guys for a longer period of time works heavily in our favor. 

2 of those plays are on Quinn. Not so much that he should have made a play, but that he can’t take the sack. 

1st one being the RPO look with free guy coming off the edge. Kind of pump fakes there and eats it.

2nd free blitzed from the secondary. That’s Quinn’s man. Can’t eat it there 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, deech said:

You have no idea how that decision was made. It may have been Saban. Sark may have wanted to stick with Hurts. We have no idea. 

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

No.  We want Sark to make the change while we still have the record we have now.

Elko made that call last night and aggy went from the verge of getting run out of their own building to dominating LSU based on his decision to bench Wiggy.

Some players just have "it", but in 3 years, Ewers hasn't shown he's one of them.

What do you think the odds of that happening are?

14 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Eh not so sure about that last.  Arch has some strengths and I think he will wind up being a much better or more consistent QB than Ewers, but I am not convinced that as a young and inexperienced player, he will immediately make up for Ewers' shortcomings.

I think the Sark/Arch Elko/Reed comparison is invidious.  Ewers' and Arch run the same offense.  Wiggy and Reed basically do not, or their strengths are such that they effectively don't run the same offense.  The difference between Ewers and Arch is not so stark.

I suppose you can give Elko credit for taking a flyer on Reed, but the degree of success there was dependent on the completely different styles of Weigmann and Reed and the somewhat incomprehensible fact that Kelly didn't prepare for Reed despite Weigmann's injury history and Reed's recent playing time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, arch committed here when it was assumed by everyone Quinn would go pro after Arch's first year, so arch getting starts in his second year shouldn't surprise any of the Mannings.  

Again, no actual info, just reading between the lines.

I don’t think Sark is too worried about his history as a QB whisper being tarnished, scouts can see it’s mental with Ewers at this point.  It does suck to have to make a choice that would tank his near future but that’s on Ewers too.  This wasn’t a plan anyone had in mind of possibly happening at the start of the season.  Maybe Sark should take Quinn down to the lake tomorrow, dunk him in, say some cleansing, new beginnings, fresh start, clear minds full hearts stuff.  Just make sure Nicole isn’t lurking nearby.  

Edited by Hook1997

17 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

When Quinn is in zone, we are impossible to stop. The problem is that he goes through long stretches of being out of the zone, particularly after injury. I don't know how we fix this. It really seems all mental with him. 

Yep, he's an emo QB.  Probably gets up for games listening to Nine Inch Nails "Hurt."

Just now, Goredho said:

Yep, he's an emo QB.  Probably gets up for games listening to Nine Inch Nails "Hurt."

Not sure what to call it.

I am hostile to the idea that he skipped his senior year of high school and the subsequent Texas-OSU-Texas shuffle.  I tried to set that aside and be glad that a supposed generational talent was at Texas.

But I can't help but think that's reflective of something in his makeup that just isn't right.  Indecisiveness?  Self-centeredness?  Materialism or opportunism?

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Maybe Sark should take Quinn down to the lake tomorrow, dunk him in, say some cleansing, new beginnings, fresh start, clear minds full hearts stuff.

That whole "fatherly advice" thing did wonders for Calzada. Fire up the BBQ. 

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I tried to set that aside and be glad that a supposed generational talent was at Texas.

That rep was based on throws that he no longer even attempts. It's not like we were all slobbering over his ability to toss the ball out to the flat to a RB or WR. 

Whole thing just sucks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not sure what to call it.

I am hostile to the idea that he skipped his senior year of high school and the subsequent Texas-OSU-Texas shuffle.  I tried to set that aside and be glad that a supposed generational talent was at Texas.

But I can't help but think that's reflective of something in his makeup that just isn't right.  Indecisiveness?  Self-centeredness?  Materialism or opportunism?

All we can say from our vantage point is that he's not even keeled.  He's up a couple games, down the next two.  And when he's down, his body language and demeanor are terrible.  Like you can visibly tell, "Oh shit, we've got dark Quinn today."  Why that is would just be speculation, but its there and its a pattern seen over multiple seasons.

• Hook 'Em 1

Quinn is fine when protected but he’s never gonna make chicken salad out of chicken shit. Some qb’s can carry the offense on their shoulders, Quinn is never gonna be that guy. He hasn’t played well when under pocket pressure in his entire career, that is not gonna change and defenses know it. It doesn’t matter how much fault is his or the Oline, it is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 1

It does not bother me that much since we were in lead nursing mode I hate it as well but that was the extent of the playbook dink dunk and not turn the ball over, the worry is still what happened vs Georgia not Vanderbilt which was just to get out of there with the lead.

11 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

6/16 77 yards 0 TD 1 INT 38% completion % second half