Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

6 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I recall he had a hell of a game against Colorado in the 1994 season (when our defense handed Rashaan Salaam the Heisman - I was there; sweated my ass off), but don't remember him doing much else that year, and probably because of injury, which opened the door to James Brown.

I was there too....fucking beating.....

7 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

"Heard".....that the ankle attributed to practice was from taking a little drunken tumble down the KA stairs at the frat house......who knows, but makes for a fun story.  

It could have been when he got in a fight in the shower with a UT baseball player.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, kevwun said:

At least you can see why he tried to beat him around the corner.  There was a whole lot of green in front of him.

3/4 of our OL got destroyed on that play, Arch is pretty fast and couldn't do a thing. I get the anger towards quinn because during the game I was super frustrated as well. I'm not sure if we play georgia 10 times we beat them if they come out pissed off with their motors running like that. It was just a rough day for everybody except our defense which i believe is still filthy. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched the Brooks Austin (Georgia "film guy") video breaking down Quinn's performance vs. Michigan after that game. He was very complimentary of Quinn's play and Sark's playcalling, but was also commenting on Wink Martindale running obvious Cover 3 the entire game which made it easier to pick them apart. 

Venables and Kirby use a lot more disguises and variety on defense, which seems to confuses and rattle QE. 

The most infuriating part of Quinn's game is his footwork. The guy spent a year at Ohio State and is on his 3rd year with Sark and Milwee. I have no doubt proper footwork has been taught and stressed by all. It just seems that once Quinn gets a little uncomfortable everything starts to fall apart, even the most basic fundamentals. 

I understand it doesn't fit your narrative but don't let a good story get in the way of facts. Quinn DID NOT spend a year at Ohio State. The Georgia Defense was lights out and Quinn was bad. The two are inseparable.

I get it, for me Quinn. has the first half at Vandy at most to turn it around or it is Mannings' team.

31 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

He's played well against defenses that disguise well before. It isn't that he doesn't know what he's looking at. It's he wasn't able or willing to push himself to stay in the pocket and make plays even if it means getting hit. That led to bailouts and bad mechanics and poorly thrown passes. 

This is why Saturday (really the last two Saturdays) was so disappointing. We've seen Quinn be great against Nick Saban, Brent Venables, Wink Martindale and other good defensive coordinators.  We've also seen him be great in big games. So for your third year starter with that track record to lay a complete bomb in the biggest game of the season is just a real bummer. 

I'm not bailing on him yet. I still think he is likely the quarterback that gives this team the best chance to reach its potential this season. But his back is now against the wall and the knives will come out if doesn't light it up from here on out.  

24 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I think you're taking my comment personal Mr. Flood. Jalon Walker (81.8 PFF grade) had 16 pass rushing snaps. He had 3 TFL, 3 sacks, a qb hit, and 4 qb hurries. Damon wilson torched cam williams and strip sacked Arch who wasn't rattled or injured. Mykel williams had two sacks and a forced fumble. 7 sacks is a rough night. Those guys as a group are better than our OL as a group, they will be drafted really high. Kelvin Banks held his own a few times but got pushed around a few times also which he is unfamiliar with. Quinn was a problem for sure but we walked in there thinking we could hang athletically with a team that is stacked along their front 7 and we paid dearly for it. To the ewers being injured bit, I believe CTJ mentioned that the father rushed Quinn back because they are on a timer now. His previous injury they slow played but this one they treated differently. An injured quinn knows this offense a thousand times better than a RS freshman arch manning. In sark we trust for decisions like that. 

A whole lot of that would have been mitigated if Quinn played like a third year QB instead of a guy ready to piss his pants every play. There were completions to be made, and if he made them, they wouldn't have been able to tee off as much, or get home to the QB because the damn ball would already have been delivered. Likewise, he would have had more time with some semblance of pocket presence. The run game would also have fared better. When you're getting fuck-all out of the QB, they keep coming.

• Hook 'Em 3

I’m not trying to be a pants pisser, but we aren’t winning a championship with this version of Ewers. He looked like a guy who knew we were screwed in this game. Something is going on. I can only speculate Sark feels like he’s caught between a rock and a hard place because Manning isn’t showing him what he’s wanting to see to feel confident about making the switch.

2 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

A whole lot of that would have been mitigated if Quinn played like a third year QB instead of a guy ready to piss his pants every play. There were completions to be made, and if he made them, they wouldn't have been able to tee off as much, or get home to the QB because the damn ball would already have been delivered. Likewise, he would have had more time with some semblance of pocket presence. The run game would also have fared better. When you're getting fuck-all out of the QB, they keep coming.

Carson Beck was 23/41 175 yards(43 of that was one play) and 3 interceptions. No TD's. His OL looked fine and their QB did fuck-all the entire game. We only got 1 sack by comparison. Quinn was not himself but the OL got beat like they stole something a bunch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On rewatch, the OL wasn’t that bad. There were multiple opportunities to get the ball out and he just didn’t pull the trigger.

Arch looked more decisive, even if he wasn’t picking the best option on a given play. 

Cam and DJ Campbell had the worst games of the group

Edited by Atticus
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, kevwun said:

At least you can see why he tried to beat him around the corner.  There was a whole lot of green in front of him.

Quinn would have been sacked before he even took one step to his right. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Atticus said:

On rewatch, the OL wasn’t that bad. There were multiple opportunities to get the ball out and he just didn’t pull the trigger.

Arch looked more decisive, even if he wasn’t picking the best option on a given play. 

Arch was decisive while running for his life, they were teeing off on him.

• Hook 'Em 2

47 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

IMB_hvpX7O.gif

44 minutes ago, kevwun said:

34 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

3/4 of our OL got destroyed on that play, Arch is pretty fast and couldn't do a thing. I get the anger towards quinn because during the game I was super frustrated as well. I'm not sure if we play georgia 10 times we beat them if they come out pissed off with their motors running like that. It was just a rough day for everybody except our defense which i believe is still filthy. 

You’re correct that this particular play was 100% on the right side of the OL. I’ll give you that, for sure. No contest  

However, many of the other sacks were on Quinn. This has been put on film study by numerous analysts at this point, which have been shared here. Overall, Arch attempted to make a play where Quinn did not even attempt to escape appropriately all night. 

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

Carson Beck was 23/41 175 yards(43 of that was one play) and 3 interceptions. No TD's. His OL looked fine and their QB did fuck-all the entire game. We only got 1 sack by comparison. Quinn was not himself but the OL got beat like they stole something a bunch. 

the way beck moves in the pocket and navigates is how Quinn should be every time in year 3

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, South Austin said:

I recall he had a hell of a game against Colorado in the 1994 season (when our defense handed Rashaan Salaam the Heisman - I was there; sweated my ass off), but don't remember him doing much else that year, and probably because of injury, which opened the door to James Brown.

I recall 1994 being the year of the opposing RB. 

• (W) Texas At Pitt, Curtis Martin ran wild on "Tony Dorsett day." 28-251
  • (L) Colorado at Texas, Rashaan Salaam ran for 317 and had 362 total yards
  • (W) OU ran for 253
  • (L) Rice ran for 241
  • (L) TT ran for 187
  • (L) aTm ran for 157
  • (W) Baylor ran for 260
  • (W) UNC ran for 196

Needless to say, that defense struggled to stop the run.  It's difficult to find deetailed stats from 1994.  My #s are derived from the net positive rushing, assuming the negative yards are from sacks - which could be wrong.

1 hour ago, Codaxx said:

I have said this is probably the biggest game in Quinn's career. He has to show something and he has to do it in the 1st half. Leash is much smaller today then it was 3 weeks ago

Leash?  Do the rules allow a remote shock collar?

Quinn has to get it right, if we have to rely solely on Manning the rest of the season we are probably fucked as great as I think he will be. We have seen good Quinn, that is what we need here on out to reach the desired destination.

At some point we have to play the better player. Manning is a better QB right now and I don’t think it’s particularly close.
  • Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Red Five said:

At some point we have to play the better player. Manning is a better QB right now and I don’t think it’s particularly close.

Completely agree.  We know what we have in Quinn, a guy who is a total coin flip to show up and hasn't proven he has what it takes to beat elite defenses.  This team has playoff aspirations but it will take a QB who can consistently make plays against good teams.  We don't know if Arch is that guy, but imo we do know that it isn't Quinn.

5 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Fine, I'm not sure Arch is the better QB next week or right now and I'm guessing you are just sharing your opinion and that you actually don't know for sure either. You know the thing about opinions. Sark is a QB "guru", he has an ego. Quinn will get his shot to redeem himself and I'm betting he does. If I'm wrong, don't care and the best man wins anyway. I'm not hoping for Quinn to fail and neither should anyone else.

I wondered during the game if Quinn was sick.  His face was flushed all night and he looked completely indecisive. 

Is mono or COVID going around in Austin?  They can cause facial flushing, and more importantly brain fog.

He looked like I did when I got the bad version of COVID in 2021 (regarding the brain fog).  I work remote, and still called my boss and told him I was out until I could put simple thoughts together.  I was worried I would miss something and cause really bad stuff to happen (I worked on OT security for refineries).

I beat that in a day and a half and was back working in 2 days, but the brain fog was awful.  It also took about 2 weeks for my nose to work again but that was not a work issue unless I had to physically go into refineries.

13 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

I appreciate the post but there is no way that I am watching that. I'd rather watch someone drown puppies in a bath. 

The guy definitely seems like a douche but he knows football for sure. I have watched the first 25 minutes and the first two drives the Georgia defense is blanket covering our wr's and dominating our OL on run plays. He keeps saying it's good film study but it seems like they knew what plays we were calling lol. 

4 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The guy definitely seems like a douche but he knows football for sure. I have watched the first 25 minutes and the first two drives the Georgia defense is blanket covering our wr's and dominating our OL on run plays. He keeps saying it's good film study but it seems like they knew what plays we were calling lol. 

He is really good. But I'm not watching that video. That said, during the game I was wondering if Georgia somehow knew our play calls. There was also that weird bit where Georgia was bitching because the headsets went out and then apparently got sorted. I'm just saying, it isn't impossible that they were somehow listening in. 

32 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

Quinn has to get it right, if we have to rely solely on Manning the rest of the season we are probably fucked as great as I think he will be. We have seen good Quinn, that is what we need here on out to reach the desired destination.

Clemson got it done with true freshman Trevor Lawrence. 

It was painful to watch the film guy of the first half but it is a very good break down. The Georgia defense was near perfect, that can't be stressed enough. Quinn had very few open receivers and most of the concepts didn't help. So many times he didn't have intermediate routes. Georgia had blanket coverage almost the entire first half. Combine that with pressure and a non existent attempt at a running game leaves you with goose eggs and 38 yards of offense.

• Hook 'Em 1

Up until the last 2 games, I thought Quinn was clearly ahead of Arch in his ability to diagnose coverage's pre-snap, and to get to his 2nd and 3rd reads on passing plays. Arch, on the other hand,  had the advantage of using his legs, and throwing the deep ball.  So it seemed to me Quinn had a better overall grasp of the offense and how to get the ball to the correct target and to move the ball down the field, where as Arch was the better athlete and could make some things happen because of his athleticism, but might be more inconsistent due to lack of experience.

But, after the last 2 games, it looks like Quinn has regressed mentally and lost confidence. He is hesitant and playing to not make mistakes, which of course is leading to more mistakes.  It didn't really matter against OU, but Georgia is a different animal.  Georgia sped him up and really got into his head.  If he can't get his confidence back and his head straight during the Vanderbilt game, it needs to be Arch time.  I wouldn't give up on Quinn yet, but he needs to be on a short leash. 

Edited by sunset87
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I watched this last night. He focuses on plays where UGA showed their dominance than anything else. Didn’t look at from a perspective of what we did wrong. 

He is Georgia guy. There is a run play in there where is gushing, but Blackwell fails to read the DL and takes the wrong hole.

15 minutes ago, Red Five said:
21 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

If Quinn remains in this timid state, then Arch is the right call. But Quinn has been exactly this way in previous seasons coming off of injury, where he regresses and plays scared. He can't focus and execute. Eventually, he gets it together. He was clearly not right throughout the entire OU game, although it was worse in the first half. So there was a strong chance he'd start poorly against Georgia because he hadn't really put it together by the end of OU. It's unfortunate we didn't have a lesser opponent for Quinn to continue rehabilating against following OU. Perfect storm so to speak.

He may still regain his composure, and if he does, he's the guy assuming he can do so quickly enough. I agree with Codaxx though, that his leash is short now, and frankly, I'd think so for the remainder of the season even if he plays well against Vandy. He can't afford anymore regression this season IMO and Arch has to be prepared to come in and start at any time.

5 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Clemson got it done with true freshman Trevor Lawrence. 

And Texas got it done with RS Fresh Colt McCoy. Some people just have IT. I got berated once for saying Quinn doesn't have good football intuition. Maybe I was right.

But it's possible for 2 things to be true and Quinn and the OL both sucked ass. The OL was directly responsible for 2 of the fumbles and giving up 2 TO's means you sucked regardless of Quinn's decision making. Arch couldn't do anything either. I'm not sure any Texas QB's over the last 25 years not named Vince or Colt coulda won that game for Texas. Maybe Sam.

I'm sure this has been stated... but we don't need an all-world QB with the defense it looks like we have. We just need someone who can manage the game, not turn it over and make a play down field once in a while. With the amount of offensive weapons, it really shouldn't be this hard. Oh - and the OL needs to play better (and I think they will - I think they were shocked in the first half - haven't seen that level of talent and on a DL in a while). Hook em!

10 minutes ago, Longhornlove said:

It was painful to watch the film guy of the first half but it is a very good break down. The Georgia defense was near perfect, that can't be stressed enough. Quinn had very few open receivers and most of the concepts didn't help. So many times he didn't have intermediate routes. Georgia had blanket coverage almost the entire first half. Combine that with pressure and a non existent attempt at a running game leaves you with goose eggs and 38 yards of offense.

I looked at the first 4 series. Texas ran 19 plays by my count. They ran 6 true runs that gained 23 yards. I didnt add up the passing yardage, but given the Texas had less 40 yards for the half, it is probably safe to say that the run game was much more effective. In that back drop you have to ask Sark, why he was calling passes at over a 75% clip. It appears Georgia played Sark tendencies hard. They played the man, not the hand

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

And Texas got it done with RS Fresh Colt McCoy. Some people just have IT. I got berated once for saying Quinn doesn't have good football intuition. Maybe I was right.

But it's possible for 2 things to be true and Quinn and the OL both sucked ass. The OL was directly responsible for 2 of the fumbles and giving up 2 TO's means you sucked regardless of Quinn's decision making. Arch couldn't do anything either. I'm not sure any Texas QB's over the last 25 years not named Vince or Colt coulda won that game for Texas. Maybe Sam.

What got done that year?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1