Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

If he's stepping into his throws, showing proper mechanics, completing passes and basically getting the job done in practice, then this is all in his head. If he isn't, I have a hard time understanding why Sark has been playing him. His throwing mechanics were great against Michigan.

This is my feeling as well.

We know he can do it right, we've seen it. The throwing motion, nothing but arm, seems like it's residual pain and/or simple fear of re-injury. The footwork and pocket presence problems pretty much have to be fear of getting hit - I don't see him just forgetting what to do, and I don't see Sark/Milwee letting it slide.

If he's still hurt, let him rest and heal. If he just can't handle the fear... move forward.

I agree with what appears to be consensus - if he's physically okay, give him a few series at Vandy, and if he can't perform... move forward.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, someguy said:

Sark said in his press conference yesterday that Ewers is/was not hurt.  I appreciate why some in this thread are grasping at those straws, but believe what Sark said.

He also said Xavier Worthy was fine all of 2022 and it comes out he was playing the second half of the year with a broken hand.

He is never going to publicly admit someone is playing hurt. That puts a huge target on their back for opposing teams.

A buddy of mine who knows a GA said there were conversations on the headsets about making a QB change well before Arch actually got inserted into the game. The leash is definitely short. 

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

He also said Xavier Worthy was fine all of 2022 and it comes out he was playing the second half of the year with a broken hand.

He is never going to publicly admit someone is playing hurt. That puts a huge target on their back for opposing teams.

A buddy of mine who knows a GA said there were conversations on the headsets about making a QB change well before Arch actually got inserted into the game. The leash is definitely short. 

you're a pragmatic poster. You think the way Georgia came out fired up that arch could have handled that game and excelled for 4 quarters? 

you're a pragmatic poster. You think the way Georgia came out fired up that arch could have handled that game and excelled for 4 quarters? 

I think he would have turned the ball over a few times, and rushed for over 100 yards, and we would have scored more than 15 points.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

No. The offensive plan, especially in the first half, was horrible and the supporting cast around Ewers was bad. We made some good adjustments in the second half but good schemes and stuff on a whiteboard doesn’t beat Georgia. They haven’t lost to a school not named Alabama since Covid. Our great players and great playcaller needed to be great and too many guys we depend on (Sark, Ewers, Wisner, some of the OL) came up well short.

I think Arch could have bailed us out of some stuff but we still lose that game and his stat line wouldn’t have looked pretty having to try to evade that pass rush.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The ass kicking would have been easier to stomach if it was Arch’s 7th start and we were building towards the future. Quinn looked exactly the same as Arch and Quinn is in year 3. Everything we are doing with Quinn right now is like paying rent since he’s going to the NFL. We could instead be putting equity into our QB future by starting Arch and getting him live snaps even if it’s during a shitshow game like this. I don’t see us winning a championship with Quinn so anything involving him as the offensive leader is just a waste of time and used to pump up Sark’s reputation as a QB whisperer. 

• Hook 'Em 6

Just now, Tex Long said:

More like, wouldn't have fucked up as badly?

like vince's 135 yards 2 INT's and 0 TD's against oklahoma in a 65-13 beating? how about 160 yards, 0 TD's and 3 picks versus a&m? (Colt). My point is young qb's can play atrociously when put on a big stage against an opponent that is fired up. It's a tough decision to make. Much like those two I think arch is going to leave Texas one day as an all time great but this georgia game was not going to help his legendary resume and more than likely would have resulted in his having his ass handed to him by a seasoned veteran in kirby smart. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, statsman said:

That looks damning, but in 2024, Quinn has played 4 1/4 games, and three of them were against teams bringing a lot of heat all the time. 

You don’t just play Colorado State and expect to throw the ball downfield. Ewers has regressed into a check down only passer. It’s plain to see with your eyes and the numbers show that as well. 

1 hour ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

Sark the QB whisperer. Lmao.

This right here. 

I'll say what should be obvious. UT was so bad during late-Mack-Strong-Herman era, we got a Big 12 title and anointed Sark as some kind of QB whispering, play-calling, play-designing guru. Sark ain't all that. 

True, he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa and deserves the credit for a massive win. Beat bad Michigan team, which is still great. 

He's wiped out two historically bad OU teams (so bad they might be worse than Blake era). Great satisfying wins after the Mack beatdowns, but it's not like he was beating up on Stoops or Riley. 

Somehow got UT to #1, mostly on the Michigan beatdown. Still incredible.

Then got exposed by Georgia.

Sark coached against Deboer twice and never even led in the games. 

AND: In the 2 biggest night games since Mack era, Sark was schooled by Kirby Sharp and Sonny fucking Dykes. Sonny Dykes!!!!

-- Offense put up 7 points v. Bulldogs and 3 points v. Frogs. The other TDs were defense.

-- DKR was ready to rock and explode with noise, and Sark put up 10 fucking points total offense ... in the biggest night games in over a decade. National TV laughing stock.

-- Ewers was terrible in both games. 

Sark is a "good" coach, but he ain't no guru or genius.

He might get much better, but right now he ain't no big game, title-winning coach. Not with QE.

He needs to roll with Arch now.

UT history: Royal gave up on highly-touted "Super Bill" Bradley to run the Wishbone, turned to James Street (and later Eddie Phillips) and then won 30 games in row and 2 national titles. 

Edited by BevoAbyss
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I think he would have turned the ball over a few times, and rushed for over 100 yards, and we would have scored more than 15 points.

the time he evaded the rush and got outside the pocket their 245lb all american lb ran him down to the sideline. Arch is faster than utsa, ulm, and maybe even miss state players but he wasn't going to continue to run the ball with an athletic spy on him the rest of that game. 100 yards is a crazy number. Jalen Milroe runs a 4.4 and rushed for 100 yards on them . He makes arch look like a snail. 

21 minutes ago, BevoAbyss said:

This right here. 

I'll say what should be obvious. UT was so bad during late-Mack-Strong-Herman era, we got a Big 12 title and anointed Sark as some kind of QB whispering, play-calling, play-designing guru. Sark ain't all that. 

True, he beat Bama in Tuscaloosa and deserves the credit for a massive win. Beat bad Michigan team, which is still great. 

He's wiped out two historically bad OU teams (so bad they might be worse than Blake era). Great satisfying wins after the Mack beatdowns, but it's not like he was beating up on Stoops or Riley. 

Somehow got UT to #1, mostly on the Michigan beatdown. Still incredible.

Then got exposed by Georgia.

Sark coached against Deboer twice and never even led in the games. 

AND: In the 2 biggest night games since Mack era, Sark was schooled by Kirby Sharp and Sonny fucking Dykes. Sonny Dykes!!!!

-- Offense put up 7 points v. Bulldogs and 3 points v. Frogs. The other TDs were defense.

-- DKR was ready to rock and explode with noise, and Sark put up 10 fucking points total offense ... in the biggest night games in over a decade. National TV laughing stock.

-- Ewers was terrible in both games. 

Sark is a "good" coach, but he ain't no guru or genius.

He might get much better, but right now he ain't no big game, title-winning coach. Not with QE.

He needs to roll with Arch now.

UT history: Royal gave up on highly-touted "Super Bill" Bradley to run the Wishbone, turned to James Street (and later Eddie Phillips) and then won 30 games in row and 2 national titles. 

Did he give up on Bill Bradley or move him to defense?

As a defensive back he set the Texas and Southwest Conference records for most interceptions in a game when he picked off Texas A&M four times at the end of the regular season.

Guys, can we just agree that Beck sucks worse than Quinn, and neither are winning the Heisman (not that it matters, but it wouldn't suck to add yet another trophy to the case for recruits to see)? I don't see either going in the first round. Quinn because injury history, and Beck because he's just bad. Like, really bad. It shows how much he relied on Bowers and MCcomkey. 

22 minutes ago, Born Burnt said:

The timing of the “hack” is very convenient since it was done on the same day Bobby and the guys were giving criticism of Quinn’s performance during the Georgia game. It’s looking like an “accidental text on purpose” to gauge the fan reaction to Quinn possibly sitting out for the season. And then this follow up tweet by CJ. This type of stuff is beneath us. 

7 minutes ago, MrBig said:

The timing of the “hack” is very convenient since it was done on the same day Bobby and the guys were giving criticism of Quinn’s performance during the Georgia game. It’s looking like an “accidental text on purpose” to gauge the fan reaction to Quinn possibly sitting out for the season. And then this follow up tweet by CJ. This type of stuff is beneath us. 

I’m convinced it was Taylor Hamm

• Haha 1

Here is my conspiracy theory regarding Quinn and Sark.

He is still hurt, but both know that this is his last year and once Arch takes over you can't go back.  They knew he couldn't miss any more games or it would hurt draft stock and why go back to him if Arch is balling.  So they took a chance that he could play through the pain and play good enough to win.  It worked against a shitty OU team but not Georgia.

They must think him being labeled as fragile is a bigger liability, which is why Pete Thamel isn't out there pointing to the injury as an excuse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

like vince's 135 yards 2 INT's and 0 TD's against oklahoma in a 65-13 beating? how about 160 yards, 0 TD's and 3 picks versus a&m? (Colt). My point is young qb's can play atrociously when put on a big stage against an opponent that is fired up. It's a tough decision to make. Much like those two I think arch is going to leave Texas one day as an all time great but this georgia game was not going to help his legendary resume and more than likely would have resulted in his having his ass handed to him by a seasoned veteran in kirby smart. 

I don’t think VY was the issue in the OU game, he didn’t even start lol. And Colt was openly injured and shouldn’t even have played that game. Not great comps

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

Did he give up on Bill Bradley or move him to defense?

Abyss was referring to the QB position, of course. Bradley immediately went to D and immediately starred. Played it for the Eagles for a few years as I recall. Great athlete. Wasn't he also a punter? Little James Street was a running QB and he was a sight to behold. Wasn't he the QB who threw that bomb on 4th and 3 to Randy "Big Play" Peschel, with two Razorbacks draped all over his back? The jaw of every Horn fan in the nation hit the floor. Late in the Game in "Shootout #1". (Horns were ranked #1. Ark #2. Last game of year. ) Texas won 15-14. Nixon announced we'd won the Nat'l Champ that day, I think. Pissed off a lot of opponents. Then we went on to Beat Notre Dame on New Years Day.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Wasn't it right after this that Vince told Mack and Greg to shove it up their asses - that he was gonna run the ball whenever he felt like it? The rest was history.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

Sure Quinn has a bad day.   But now you guys are scared of aggy???  Get the fuck out of here LOL!

Nobody is scared, but my statement still stands. Arrogant to think otherwise.

8 hours ago, Deej said:

alison-brie-alice-sophia-eve.gif.051b8158aa14e329c5e6b92076ce8657.gif

Just reality. Texas should quickly quite the crowd but it depends on which team shows up.

15 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Wasn't it right after this that Vince told Mack and Greg to shove it up their asses - that he was gonna run the ball whenever he felt like it? The rest was history.

No. It was right after that that Mack had Chance Movk play a few series at QB against Missouri, with Vince at WR. Vince caught a long pass, Mocj played poorly, and that foolishness was shunted aside. 

The next week, at Lubbock, Lead Option was added to Zone Read, and “Let Vince Be Vince” carried the day. 

https://stats.texassports.com/custompages/sports/m-footbl/archive/stats/04/101604.htm

Edited by statsman

24 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Abyss was referring to the QB position, of course. Bradley immediately went to D and immediately starred. Played it for the Eagles for a few years as I recall. Great athlete. Wasn't he also a punter? Little James Street was a running QB and he was a sight to behold. Wasn't he the QB who threw that bomb on 4th and 3 to Randy "Big Play" Peschel, with two Razorbacks draped all over his back? The jaw of every Horn fan in the nation hit the floor. Late in the Game in "Shootout #1". (Horns were ranked #1. Ark #2. Last game of year. ) Texas won 15-14. Nixon announced we'd won the Nat'l Champ that day, I think. Pissed off a lot of opponents. Then we went on to Beat Notre Dame on New Years Day.

what makes you say that tommy wiseau GIF by The Room

43 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think VY was the issue in the OU game, he didn’t even start lol. And Colt was openly injured and shouldn’t even have played that game. Not great comps

Speaking of Vince and Colt ...

Vince was just a stupid, sick, super human athlete. At the end of the game, with a chance to win, we knew that due to his athleticism and will to win, we were going to come out on top. Now, was Vince a great "student" of the game, studying opponent's game films for hours at a time? ... eh... Maybe not. But, having the intangibles, confidence, athleticism, the ability to make the team believe ... and we saw the results.

With Colt, he didn't have Vince's athleticism... But, his accuracy was crazy... not a great, over the top, strong arm. But Colt had the ability to dissect a defense With the game on the line, our belief in Colt's innate ability to pull out a win (except.. fuck you Tech) because he was a student of the game, was rewarded on most occasions.

With Ewers ... he is not a freak athlete like Vince. Does he study like Colt did? Does he have the intellect aspect for the game?  He certainly has greater assets and gifts than most college QBs. But, he also has a history of questionable decisions.  Skipping his last year of high school and playing experience to make a money grab at Ohio State? Coming to Texas and not understanding that he will be the "face of the program" and throws down the mullet and grungy beard look? Great at ou and for other positions perhaps. The injuries. Yes, he played great against Alabama last year and Michigan this year... and shown other sporadic aspects of greatness.  But ... with the game on the line?  Do you believe?

Now, I hope i am dead wrong on this and he lights things up the rest of the year, is drafted mid 1st round and has a good career in the NFL. 

But ...

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The guy I quoted said arch couldn’t have played worse, he didn’t say anything about the circumstances. Vince young didn’t score a single TD and your argument is he didn’t start? Colt throws 3 picks against a pretty shitty aggy team and it’s because he’s injured? Arch turned the ball over once in the two drives he played. You don’t think that could have happened 4 or 5 more times given a larger sample size? Ok. I guess man. 

5 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I looked at the first 4 series. Texas ran 19 plays by my count. They ran 6 true runs that gained 23 yards. I didnt add up the passing yardage, but given the Texas had less 40 yards for the half, it is probably safe to say that the run game was much more effective. In that back drop you have to ask Sark, why he was calling passes at over a 75% clip. It appears Georgia played Sark tendencies hard. They played the man, not the hand

Yep, Smart maybe an asshole but he's not stupid. Sark will throw in some trickeration in his script but not a lot. He also won't come off it until it's gone upside down. Too late in the case of Georgia. Other teams won't have the talent Georgia did, but their coaches aren't idiots either. 

11 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

Speaking of Vince and Colt ...

Vince was just a stupid, sick, super human athlete. At the end of the game, with a chance to win, we knew that due to his athleticism and will to win, we were going to come out on top. Now, was Vince a great "student" of the game, studying opponent's game films for hours at a time? ... eh... Maybe not. But, having the intangibles, confidence, athleticism, the ability to make the team believe ... and we saw the results.

With Colt, he didn't have Vince's athleticism... But, his accuracy was crazy... not a great, over the top, strong arm. But Colt had the ability to dissect a defense With the game on the line, our belief in Colt's innate ability to pull out a win (except.. fuck you Tech) because he was a student of the game, was rewarded on most occasions.

With Ewers ... he is not a freak athlete like Vince. Does he study like Colt did? Does he have the intellect aspect for the game?  He certainly has greater assets and gifts than most college QBs. But, he also has a history of questionable decisions.  Skipping his last year of high school and playing experience to make a money grab at Ohio State? Coming to Texas and not understanding that he will be the "face of the program" and throws down the mullet and grungy beard look? Great at ou and for other positions perhaps. The injuries. Yes, he played great against Alabama last year and Michigan this year... and shown other sporadic aspects of greatness.  But ... with the game on the line?  Do you believe?

Now, I hope i am dead wrong on this and he lights things up the rest of the year, is drafted mid 1st round and has a good career in the NFL. 

But ...

This is where I'm at on Ewers.  Natural athlete, flick of the wrist arm talent, should be a great QB.  Something upstairs just doesn't click sometimes.  The decision making process can toggle on and off.  Factor in a (allegedly, but I believe what I've read) meddling family with their eye on the NFL prize moreso than perfecting the craft of playing QB and you end up with what we've seen.  49-0 was wonderful.  Winning in Tuscaloosa, awesome.  Taking a massive shit on national TV at DKR the other night, not so much.

When Vince had the ball, he was inevitable.  When Colt was driving, you believed.  With Quinn, I hope for the best.  But I'm not surprised when it doesn't work out for him.  Happens too frequently.

Edited by Darth Tron

15 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

The guy I quoted said arch couldn’t have played worse, he didn’t say anything about the circumstances. Vince young didn’t score a single TD and your argument is he didn’t start? Colt throws 3 picks against a pretty shitty aggy team and it’s because he’s injured? Arch turned the ball over once in the two drives he played. You don’t think that could have happened 4 or 5 more times given a larger sample size? Ok. I guess man. 

I’m sure it could have. But those were terrible comparisons to make as the situations aren’t remotely similar. The only similarities are that they are freshman. Did Vince play worse than Chance Mock that game? No. He accounted for 300 yards of offense. Are you saying Colt wasn’t injured?
Arch might have played bad, but I very much doubt it would have been worse than the worst single game QB performance of the Sark era.

Edited by hobbes2702

2 minutes ago, Darth Tron said:

This is where I'm at on Ewers.  Natural athlete, flick of the wrist arm talent, should be a great QB.  Something upstairs just doesn't click sometimes.  The decision making process can toggle on and off.  Factor in a (allegedly, but I believe what I've read) meddling family with their eye on the NFL prize moreso than perfecting the craft of playing QB and you end up with what we've seen.  49-0 was wonderful.  Winning in Tuscaloosa, awesome.  Taking a massive shit on national TV at DKR the other night, not so much.

When Vince had the ball, he was inevitable.  When Colt was driving, you believed.  With Quinn, I hope.

It took a long time to realize how stupid Brett Favre was. 

• Haha 1

People need to realize and understand Quinn will never be as great as Colt and Vince. That bar is way too high for him to climb. Those two were on a different level. Arch, imo, will be that level. Quinn is just constantly hurt, skipped his senior season of HS (what an absolute retarded tgind to do), and it hurt his development. But he's ALWAYS hurt. Every year it's something. I understand getting planted by that shit wipe Dallas Turner, but everything else is just bad luck or he's fragile as fuck. 

Edited by Funk Doctor Spock