Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

18 minutes ago, Skipper said:

It's not that "none of this is QE's fault".  He's not playing anything like the 3 year starter/heisman front runner we expected him to be.  But when it comes to problems with current state of our offense, QB play yesterday was a distant 3rd behind OL and RB which have been flat out terrible in back to back games.  The first pick is 100% on Jake Major's inability to even touch the LB giving him free elevation to tip that throw. Anyone still bitching about that really needs to watch the fucking play.  It was obvious live.  QE made the right read and it's an easy 15 yard completion if Jake does absolutely anything at all.   Our OL is constantly blowing protection, allowing pressure, making presnap penalties and getting called for holding (most somewhat legit).  And we don't have a single RB that can pass protect worth a shit and they all go down too easy with contact.  Our RB room is bad luck as CJ Baxter fixes both of those issues and allows Blue/Wisner to excel as change of pace.  Our OL has absolutely no excuse and I hope Flood rips ass all bye week.   As it relates to Quinn - he's letting the breakdowns around him get in his head at times instead of fighting/leading through it.  He absolutely left some plays on the field.  He missed a wide open Golden across the middle on a crucial 3rd and short when he took a sack (and didn't even look at him even though it was the easy pres nap read)  But all in - I don't think his performance is NEAR as bad as all the simple thinking football morons on this board are up in arms about. 

This is correct. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, B00M said:

It’s hard to believe helm is our leading receiver in terms of catches and yards. 

Given how Quinn has been playing the last 3 games, that doesn't seem hard to believe at all. I think Bond going down hurt him about as bad as Quinn's time away due to the injury. Bond was doing some incredible work every game, not just from making something about of Quinn's erratic throws but also by getting the ball around the LOS and making something happen. The lack of deep shots really just doesn't make sense other than he feels he never has enough time or he simply is afraid to throw it deep consistently. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The point I think is that while Quinn wasn’t the clear weak link yesterday like he was against OU and Georgia, the fact is that he needs things to be perfect around him for the offense to not be anemic. Because of his inability to reliably throw the ball down the field or make something out of nothing, there is no margin for error.

Thatguy excusing him for every other player around him not executing flawlessly is damning him with low expectations imo

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Given how Quinn has been playing the last 3 games, that doesn't seem hard to believe at all. I think Bond going down hurt him about as bad as Quinn's time away due to the injury. Bond was doing some incredible work every game, not just from making something about of Quinn's erratic throws but also by getting the ball around the LOS and making something happen. The lack of deep shots really just doesn't make sense other than he feels he never has enough time or he simply is afraid to throw it deep consistently. 

How does a lack of deep shots not make sense? He’s terrible at it and he knows it. He wasn’t throwing deep when healthy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, Skipper said:

But when it comes to problems with current state of our offense, QB play yesterday was a distant 3rd behind OL and RB

our QB play was acceptable only because 3 out of every 4 passes were less than 10 yards downfield. when the entire defense isn’t worried about the QB hurting them or even trying to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield, that has a trickle down effect that hurts everyone else around him. the OL and running game looked just fine before quinn got hurt and turned into a guy who plays like a 3rd stringer who’s just trying not to turn the ball over. ever since QE returned as a gun shy insta-thrower who’s scared to be hit those units have been bad too. coincidence? i really don’t think so.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Derka said:

99% of the thread agrees about QE, down to the very nuts and bolts of what’s wrong with him.

the one person who is on the other side of the argument (Thatguy) has more pos rep in this thread than anyone.

no additional comment, just an observation that you can make of what you will.

People understand pressure bad for quarterback. People watch other football games for many moons and see no quarterback good when him get lots of pressure. Last year him no have lots of pressure. Him have good season. Him have him good right tackle. But right tackle go play big boy football and him new right tackle look like man who used to hold red cloth in front of bull. People good at math. Know 2+2=6. People think, QB good when no have pressure last year but bad with lots pressure this year. Less pressure =QB good again. People understand simplest answer almost always the right one.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, gurt said:

Thatguy excusing him for every other player around him not executing flawlessly is damning him with low expectations imo

You think guys coming free on almost half the dropbacks is simply "not executing flawlessly"? Name another game in recent memory where that has happened. Any team.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

It's not that "none of this is QE's fault".  He's not playing anything like the 3 year starter/heisman front runner we expected him to be.  But when it comes to problems with current state of our offense, QB play yesterday was a distant 3rd behind OL and RB which have been flat out terrible in back to back games.  The first pick is 100% on Jake Major's inability to even touch the LB giving him free elevation to tip that throw. Anyone still bitching about that really needs to watch the fucking play.  It was obvious live.  QE made the right read and it's an easy 15 yard completion if Jake does absolutely anything at all.   Our OL is constantly blowing protection, allowing pressure, making presnap penalties and getting called for holding (most somewhat legit).  And we don't have a single RB that can pass protect worth a shit and they all go down too easy with contact.  Our RB room is bad luck as CJ Baxter fixes both of those issues and allows Blue/Wisner to excel as change of pace.  Our OL has absolutely no excuse and I hope Flood rips ass all bye week.   As it relates to Quinn - he's letting the breakdowns around him get in his head at times instead of fighting/leading through it.  He absolutely left some plays on the field.  He missed a wide open Golden across the middle on a crucial 3rd and short when he took a sack (and didn't even look at him even though it was the easy pres nap read)  But all in - I don't think his performance is NEAR as bad as all the simple thinking football morons on this board are up in arms about. 

And this is 100% where I stand on the issue.

1 hour ago, Derka said:

freshman colt mccoy > redshirt junior quinn ewers. that’s so wildly unacceptable that i really can’t believe how many people here are so staunchly in support of quinn. 

Why was Freshman Colt better than Sophomore Colt?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Completely blaming the OL run and pass blocking struggles on Ewers is just as batshit as blaming all the sacks and tips on the OL. The run game looked  “good” pre injury because we were playing the little sisters of the poor. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Completely blaming the OL run and pass blocking struggles on Ewers is just as batshit as blaming all the sacks and tips on the OL. The run game looked  “good” pre injury because we were playing the little sisters of the poor. 

we also had something resembling a full playbook and a dynamic offense before QE went down and returned as a sacred, neutered version of himself pre-injury. it’s a lot easier to run the ball and to pass black when the defense doesn’t know what’s coming.

57 minutes ago, gurt said:

The point I think is that while Quinn wasn’t the clear weak link yesterday like he was against OU and Georgia, the fact is that he needs things to be perfect around him for the offense to not be anemic. Because of his inability to reliably throw the ball down the field or make something out of nothing, there is no margin for error.

He was clearly the weak link in the 2nd half, after Vanderbilt adjusted for the quick game.  When your QB is incapable of stretching a defense vertically, it helps the defense out immensely. It also helps that the tape is out on Quinn when it comes to pressure looks, he wilts. Two sacks he took he had Golden wide open over the middle but couldn't pull the trigger. The color guy was all over it. We only attacked the middle of the field once after the 1st tipped INT, and it was an explosive play.

Golden has been rendered useless because he works in the intermediate over the middle routes and Quinn never throws there.

Edited by HtownHorn

7 minutes ago, Derka said:

we also had something resembling a full playbook and a dynamic offense before QE went down and returned as a sacred, neutered version of himself pre-injury. it’s a lot easier to run the ball and to pass black when the defense doesn’t know what’s coming.

Ewers universally recognized best game and the most “open playbook” we’ve had all year was against Michigan. Our leading rusher was a WR with one carry for 55 yards. Our run game just isn’t good, 

Edited by Hank_Hill

kelvin banks hadn’t given up a sack all season and then he gives up his first one when quinn needlessly retreats to his own goal line under minimal rush against geogia. banks literally registered a pancake on the play, and yet his man sacked quinn as he inexplicably backpedaled right into the defender as he was laid out on the ground. it was like the billy madison “leg” scene.

now compare that to the michigan game when QE was converting 3rd downs left and right by moving up in the pocket with his eyes downfield and hitting his 2nd and 3rd reads on target. we had zero sacks and zero TOs on that day. you cannot say that QE severely and obviously regressing hasn’t affected everyone around him.

Edited by Derka
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Odd thing is it feels like the run blocking is better, than pass pro now. There is a lot of issues going on with the offense. Pass protection is hit or miss. By that I mean OL, RB, and even TEs have all contributed to poor pass pro. RBs are all scat backs. I was disappointed not to see more Gibson (I know blocking is the reason, but not like blue and Wisner are great there). Quinn appeared to take a step toward better play vs Vandy. He wasn’t bad. The one issue not touched on here is the offense is not threatening enough of the field. Sometimes it feels like the entire offense is designed to go to the flats. Majority of runs are outside. 75% of passes vs Vandy were at or behind the LOS. Most of those out on the edges. DBs can see the film. Bolden did a stop route vs a Vandy CB and the dude never took a step, he just stood there and made the play. Texas has to start punishing teams for over-playing the short game. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Ewers universally recognized best game and the most “open playbook” we’ve had all year was against Michigan. Our leading rusher was a WR with one carry for 55 yards. Our run game just isn’t good, 

all the more reason we can’t have our “heisman contender” qb playing like 3rd string true freshman who needs to make every throw within two seconds of the snap and within 5 yards of the LOS.

3 minutes ago, Derka said:

all the more reason we can’t have our “heisman contender” qb playing like 3rd string true freshman who needs to make every throw within two seconds of the snap and within 5 yards of the LOS.

Our QB should play better, no shit. He also isn’t completely responsible for the offensive lines fuck ups. If you can’t acknowledge that you’re worse than what you make @Thatguyout to be.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

WShit happens. Football is a team sport. Ewers can be better but again a lot of you all are just unhinged.

It's quintessential Surly football board.   No nuance allowed.  Offense played bad and we have a 5 star backup QB so that = QB sucks and is a pussy.  Reading this thread a good reminder not to waste time posting here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He was clearly the weak link in the 2nd half, after Vanderbilt adjusted for the quick game.  When your QB is incapable of stretching a defense vertically, it helps the defense out immensely. It also helps that the tape is out on Quinn when it comes to pressure looks, he wilts. Two sacks he took he had Golden wide open over the middle but couldn't pull the trigger. The color guy was all over it. We only attacked the middle of the field once after the 1st tipped INT, and it was an explosive play.

Golden has been rendered useless because he works in the intermediate over the middle routes and Quinn never throws there.

It's strange to me that everyone views the second half issues as Vandy adjusting. 

First drive of the second half we were easily moving down the field until an oline miscue led to a sack. 

Second drive was the second tipped int, aided by the lack of chip block by Helm. 

Third drive stalled after a would be first down becomes third a long due to a hold and then another miscue causes a sack. 

Fourth drive started out with a holding penalty and eventually stalled out after two hurried throws. 

Fifth drive was the last fg that should have ended the game if we just run on second down. 

I don't see this as Vandy adjusting so much as us beating ourselves over and over again. 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

It's strange to me that everyone views the second half issues as Vandy adjusting. 

First drive of the second half we were easily moving down the field until an oline miscue led to a sack. 

Second drive was the second tipped int, aided by the lack of chip block by Helm. 

Third drive stalled after a would be first down becomes third a long due to a hold and then another miscue causes a sack. 

Fourth drive started out with a holding penalty and eventually stalled out after two hurried throws. 

Fifth drive was the last fg that should have ended the game if we just run on second down. 

I don't see this as Vandy adjusting so much as us beating ourselves over and over again. 

He was 6/16 for 77 yards. The stats speak for themselves.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Yes he was. But it isn't really because Vandy adjusted. It is because we stopped ourselves, largely due to random miscues. When we weren't shooting ourselves in the dick, we were moving the ball just fine. 

Edited by Dahobbs

2 hours ago, Derka said:

freshman colt mccoy > redshirt junior quinn ewers. that’s so wildly unacceptable that i really can’t believe how many people here are so staunchly in support of quinn. 

53 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Why was Freshman Colt better than Sophomore Colt?

I will answer it for you since you won't. Freshman Colt was better than Sophomore Colt because the O-line was better. The simplest answer Derka. When we got back to protecting Colt he got back to being good again.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Derka said:

I think a lot of people understand that Steve Sarkisian isn't going to make a change at QB1 unless the wheels fall off.

24 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

There is some nuance to that. I was hard on Ewers after OU and Georgia, but this was a bit different. Texas was behind the chains the vast majority of the 2nd half. I think Texas committed 6 penalties on the 4Q alone, most on offense. 2 and 20 is not a good for an OL or a QB. You are just asking the DC to come up with the craziest in his playbook. The offense put itself in a really tough position to succeed in the 2nd half. It was generally fine when it was on schedule. Doesn’t mean everything is good, but certainly puts the 2nd half into perspective 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 2

57 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

This is why I hate that “big human” shit that keeps getting thrown out there. Lean on some mother fuckers and dominate…but they don’t and then they get lost in blitz pickup too often. 

anyways, since this is about Quinn, something Quinn needs to do is change up the cadence. I feel like teams are dialed into the cadence and timing up blitzes. 

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yes he was. But it isn't really because Vandy adjusted. It is because we stopped ourselves, largely due to random miscues. When we weren't shooting ourselves in the dick, we were moving the ball just fine. 

Here's the thing, maybe try to score in fewer than 10+ plays, then you have less chances for penalties. Sarkisian offense is not meant to be a dink and dunk offense, it's meant to stretch teams vertically and horizontally. When you take away one of those components you are making it harder on the offense overall.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, taybo20 said:

This is why I hate that “big human” shit that keeps getting thrown out there. Lean on some mother fuckers and dominate…but they don’t and then they get lost in blitz pickup too often. 

anyways, since this is about Quinn, something Quinn needs to do is change up the cadence. I feel like teams are dialed into the cadence and timing up blitzes. 

RB is a big part of that. They aren’t very good between the tackles and Texas hasn’t run much inside. RB pass blocking is a roll of the dice 

7 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

There is some nuance to that. I was hard on Ewers after OU and Georgia, but this was a bit different. Texas was behind the chains the vast majority of the 2nd half. I think Texas committed 6 penalties on the 4Q alone, most on offense. 2 and 20 is not a good for an OL or a QB. You are just asking the DC to come up with the craziest in his playbook. The offense put itself in a really tough position to succeed in the 2nd half. It was generally fine when it was on schedule. Doesn’t mean everything is good, but certainly puts the 2nd half into perspective 

Yeah. The incompletions were on:

2nd and 15

3rd and 15

1st and 10 (tipped int)

1st and 19

2nd and 19

2nd and 9 

3rd and 9

2nd and goal from the 5. 

We were behind the chains and struggling with protection. Quinn wasn't as good as he should be. But he wasn't the primary problem. Not was it because Vandy adjusted because Quinn couldn't throw deep. We beat ourselves by committing penalties and blowing protection, putting us in situations that compounded our pass protection issues. 

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Here's the thing, maybe try to score in fewer than 10+ plays, then you have less chances for penalties. Sarkisian offense is not meant to be a dink and dunk offense, it's meant to stretch teams vertically and horizontally. When you take away one of those components you are making it harder on the offense overall.

The penalties are from RBs constantly bouncing runs outside. Guys are holding jerseys inside the frame. RB runs outside. Guy tries to detach and in comes the flag. Both of these backs are trying to hit the home run. Run north and south and the penalties stop.

36 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

I will answer it for you since you won't. Freshman Colt was better than Sophomore Colt because the O-line was better. The simplest answer Derka. When we got back to protecting Colt he got back to being good again.

No dude. Ewers is a 5 star and should have no problem lighting up Vandy regardless of what the protection looks like. Don’t try to suggest that the OL full of 5 stars should be able to handle a 3 star Vandy DL regardless of what the QB is doing, that’s different. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ewers started slow against OU, but he broke out of it and we won 34-3.  Sorry, some of you couldn't be happy with that.  I'll make an appointment with your local PD so you can show them on the doll where Mack Brown touched you.

He was bad against Georgia.  So were a lot of other things, but yeah he stands out (especially in that first half) as being objectively awful.

He had some issues yesterday and was far from perfect but not anywhere close to the moaning, wailing, calling him a pussy (come on Imma...be fucking better) that a lot of you are throwing out there.  He wasn't close to our biggest problems in the game (Oline, inconsistent running, stupid penalties, a punter who can barely punt, some puzzling play calling and game management, etc). If you want to come to the Quinn Ewers thread to nitpick some things, have at it, but some of you are just smearing shit all over yourselves. 

Personally, my expectations for this season had some small part to do with Quinn but A HUGE part of it is we are supposed to have this generally bad-ass Oline full of multiyear starters.  Football is won and lost on the line of scrimmage...period. I could go on and on about how the thing that excites me most about Sark is that after Mack gave up on it around 2006 and we went through all of those years of shit we finally seemed to have a coach that recognizes this and prioritizes it.  A big talking point during September was that very offensive line and how good they looked.  They have gone to shit the last few weeks and that more than anything has me more concerned than anything because Quinn, Arch, Peyton, it won't make a shit if we can't run the ball somewhat consistently, keep killing drives with boneheaded penalties and often have our QB under duress because the Dline is whipping their ass.  

Georgia came to our pretty loud ass stadium last week and had exactly ZERO procedure penalties on their offensive line and we never got to their QB (who still managed to be awful).  That's where championships are won.  I want THAT.  

• Hook 'Em 6

3 minutes ago, Funk Doctor Spock said:

Did anyone hear Simmons' name called at all during the game? I don't remember it. Sorrell balled out. 

Not his kind of game. That is an offense you need a lot of discipline from your edges to beat. That isn’t Simmon’s wheelhouse right now. Pavia would have went under him every time he got too far upfield 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Derka said:

our QB play was acceptable only because 3 out of every 4 passes were less than 10 yards downfield. when the entire defense isn’t worried about the QB hurting them or even trying to throw the ball more than a few yards downfield, that has a trickle down effect that hurts everyone else around him. the OL and running game looked just fine before quinn got hurt and turned into a guy who plays like a 3rd stringer who’s just trying not to turn the ball over. ever since QE returned as a gun shy insta-thrower who’s scared to be hit those units have been bad too. coincidence? i really don’t think so.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

People understand pressure bad for quarterback. People watch other football games for many moons and see no quarterback good when him get lots of pressure. Last year him no have lots of pressure. Him have good season. Him have him good right tackle. But right tackle go play big boy football and him new right tackle look like man who used to hold red cloth in front of bull. People good at math. Know 2+2=6. People think, QB good when no have pressure last year but bad with lots pressure this year. Less pressure =QB good again. People understand simplest answer almost always the right one.

At this point no one is changing anyone’s mind about their stance on this topic but teams can definitely blitz more when they are not afraid of the QB throw downfield and that 100% has something to do with it.  But you will not change Ewers’s uncles aka @Thatguy’s mind that any of this is Ewers fault.   It’s guys yelling at clouds the same points over and over at this point on both sides.  

6 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

I don't know if Sark is being serious with his praise for Quinn, or if he is trying to help him get drafted high or help get his confidence back.

https://atozsports.com/college-football/texas-longhorns-news/steve-sarkisian-texas-qb-quinn-ewers-was-a-stud-in-throwing-three-tds-vs-vanderbilt/

The picture they use for the article tells the whole story.  Quinn's shoulders  parallel to the line of scrimmage throwing the ball towards the sideline. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

At this point no one is changing anyone’s mind about their stance on this topic but teams can definitely blitz more when they are not afraid of the QB throw downfield and that 100% has something to do with it.  But you will not change Ewers’s uncles aka @Thatguy’s mind that any of this is Ewers fault.   It’s guys yelling at clouds the same points over and over at this point on both sides.  

So you think the secret to fixing guys coming completely unblocked through our offensive line is to hold the ball longer and throw it downfield? Got it.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, GTJ1982 said:

The picture they use for the article tells the whole story.  Quinn's shoulders  parallel to the line of scrimmage throwing the ball towards the sideline. 

Theyre literally perpendicular. Jesus Christ I hate it here.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

So you think the secret to fixing guys coming completely unblocked through our offensive line is to hold the ball longer and throw it downfield? Got it.

You really are a true idoit. I mean you really expect everyone on the offense to be perfect on every play except Quinn. Anytime any other player isn't perfect, and Quinn is unable to pick his teammate up by making a play, then it's obviously not Quinn, but everytime a WR or RB makes an incredible adjustment and catch to a Quinn wounded duck, Quinn did his job.

Fuck your complete bullshit.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 hours ago, Thatguy said:

Phil Hartman tonto tarzan and frankenstein GIF by Saturday Night Live

45 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

The penalties are from RBs constantly bouncing runs outside. Guys are holding jerseys inside the frame. RB runs outside. Guy tries to detach and in comes the flag. Both of these backs are trying to hit the home run. Run north and south and the penalties stop.

I'd be fine with that but the issue is our opponents bounce shit outside too and there is never a flag.  Helm's was absolutely a fuck job.

they don't call it both ways.  The Vandy QB was doing the same shit.  no calls.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1