Concerts you are attending

bamachine

with no shows scheduled until july it's unlikely we hear anything until then. there's speculation the whole tour is going to be canceled because of this unspecified illness. they'll have to make some sort of decision before the july 8 show. 

Posted (edited)

Roll call for Die Spitz in Dallas on Fri night in deep ellum. Just doing my small part to show support for @jimmyjazz ‘s kid.

If any of the surl wants to say hi (or punch me), I’ll be the guy that looks out of place wearing my pearl jam seattle show tshirt and cowboy boots.

If things go as planned, I’ll be regaling America’s youth about the time I stumbled upon an impromptu Joey Ramone 3 song show at club clearview in deep ellum back in the day, and feigning astonishment that said youth has no idea what I’m talking about. Or, I’ll be drinking a beer.

Edited by GenXer
  • Like 1

Thanks for supporting the gals!  They're fresh off a road trip out west so they should be in fine form.  Wish I could make it up, but it ain't happening this time.  I'll tell them to keep an eye out for Eddie Vedder Lite.

• Like 1

Roll call for Die Spitz in Dallas on Fri night in deep ellum. Just doing my small part to show support for [mention=203]jimmyjazz[/mention] ‘s kid.
If any of the surl wants to say hi (or punch me), I’ll be the guy that looks out of place wearing my pearl jam seattle show tshirt and cowboy boots.
If things go as planned, I’ll be regaling America’s youth about the time I stumbled upon an impromptu Joey Ramone 3 song show at club clearview in deep ellum back in the day, and feigning astonishment that said youth has no idea what I’m talking about. Or, I’ll be drinking a beer.

I caught their set at ACLFest this year and it was a lot of fun.

What time/venue are they playing at?

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

I caught their set at ACLFest this year and it was a lot of fun.

What time/venue are they playing at?

Their show is Friday at three links in deep ellum. Per bands in town, show is at 8PM. 

image.thumb.png.f21ff8df9b2b6a7dd1f4cef360fb7bf7.png

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got 8th row tickets for Judas Priest in Dallas in October. I’ll be taking my five year old son. If you think that he’s too young, well I’ll just let you know that he’ll be 6 by October. :)

Seriously, the kid is a little metal head. I’ve always liked Priest but now I love them— all thanks to him.

• Hook 'Em 1

Last night's Blues on the Green lineup was darn good. Golden Dawn Arkestra (headliner), Nane (2nd band), and Grace Sorensen (opener).
I thought Nane was the best of them with GDA a close second. What I heard of Grace Sorensen (her last 2 songs or so) sounded good as well but I can't speak to her whole set. 

The late afternoon showers made for some nice weather at Zilker.

Tonights lineup is Riders Against the Storm, Carmelo Haze, and The Point. The forecast is looking good again.

Holy shit, just got home from work.  Did "Blues on the Green" get a massive sound upgrade?  The orientation of the stage is different but it's literally louder through our home than the usual ACL headliners are.  I guess I'm attending Blues on the Green on my front porch or maybe the neighborhood park in about 10 minutes.  Wow, it's never been this loud and we either go every year or listen from the front porch.  /csb

fuckin Black Pumas at Mission Ballroom tonight, man were they great! better than GCJr a few weeks ago. that is a great venue, literally not a bad seat, felt super intimate. reminded me of ACL Live. they put on an outstanding show, that dude can sing! lots of shoutouts to Austin which was cool since, you know, Denver 🤘 based on crowd reactions there were a lot of Texans there, i wonder if they were visitors or Texpats like us...🤔

anyway...great show!

20240614_213130.jpg

20240614_215700.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

I saw Die Spitz in deep ellum last night. Damn good band live. Entertaining as hell. The juxtaposition of the noise-filled punk music and the bassist’s jolly expressions and her hopping around kept cracking me up. 

@jimmyjazz ‘s daughter moved from the drum kit to the front and did lead vocals and guitar on one song. Really talented.

They have a hell of a following. A moshpit broke out immediately when they started their set.

Fir the closing song, the lead singer climbed on top of the bar.

The opening band was King Clam, and they were damned good. Kinda blues rock grunge. Great sound. The lead singer has powerful vocals. And the guitarist is damned good.

Both bands looked to be genuinely having a good time and that vibe permeated through the venue.

@Firemans4Horn came out and had a good time. Shared a beer or two.

Best $20 I’ve spent for a show in quite a while.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Anyone in Dallas going to see the Tedeschi Trucks/Marcus King/ Chris Stapleton show Saturday?

Mrs F and Chad Jr are out of town and I’m contemplating going as a Father’s Day gift to myself.

Are you going? You should be. Then maybe hit Baby Dolls on the way home.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Leo Nocentelli last night at antones. Was hoping for his solo material, I love that "lost" album that came out a couple years ago. Instead it was a set of jammed out meters songs. It was his 78th birthday, and he still sings and plays well for an old man but it wasn't exactly the set I was looking for.

Took daughter to Noah Kahan last night at Moody Center. Had no idea how popular this dude was. Whole arena singing along to every song. Entertaining show. He’s definitely cornered the young white chick demographic a la Dave Matthews back when I was in college. A lot of talent in the crowd. 

I saw of Montreal last night and they fucking killed!  I only wish I had taken some mushrooms because the visuals were awesome.  Really trippy.  Had some video mapping going on with giant ghost like figures that doubled as the entrance curtains for the singer, Kevin Barnes.  They had three "dancers" that came out in progressively weirder costumes for each new song and a giant balloon string that covered the audience.  It was a blast.  The whole crowd was bouncing the entire set.  I hadn't seen energy like that at a show in a long time.

They're playing The Mohawk in Austin on Tue 6/25  https://wl.seetickets.us/event/of-montreal/592455?afflky=ResoundPresents

Trees in Dallas on 6/26 https://www.axs.com/events/527540/of-montreal-tickets?skin=treesdallas

Highly recommended!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/16/2024 at 12:16 PM, Indomitable said:

Took daughter to Noah Kahan last night at Moody Center. Had no idea how popular this dude was. Whole arena singing along to every song. Entertaining show. He’s definitely cornered the young white chick demographic a la Dave Matthews back when I was in college. A lot of talent in the crowd. 

I had no idea either.  I was shocked he was playing Moody and more shocked when resell tickets started at $400.  

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I had no idea either.  I was shocked he was playing Moody and more shocked when resell tickets started at $400.  

My daughter and I saw him about 18 months ago at Emo's with a crowd of about 1500.  Now two sold out nights at Moody Center - amazing.

On 6/8/2024 at 9:20 PM, CooterBrown said:

Who’s the moron that booked The Misfits at the Moody Center with $200 ticket prices? From the seat map it looks like they’ve sold 500 tickets so far. They should be at Mohawk or maybe Stubbs for $25.

Hahahaha. Look. I'm 46 and grew up listening to punk/alternative/weird music so of course I know and like the Misfits. But that's fucking hilarious. As if most casual Misfits fans give a shit that Glen Danzig and Jerry Only put aside their feud to make money on a nostalgia tour. Ain't no way I'm paying more than $50 to see them. And who wants to see the Misfits in a fucking arena? As much as I hate Stubb's, that is the appropriate venue for them.

Going to see Drive-by-Truckers do all of Southern Rock Opera tomorrow at Moody Theater. Pretty stoked on that. Let there be rock!

was also at the drive by truckers last night. the floor was probably 75% full but the rest of the venue was pretty much empty. as i feared, the seated floor completely killed the energy in the place. unusual for that venue but I thought the sound wasn't great, could've been because we were off to the side but i had a hard time hearing cooley. i figured they would play the album straight through...thought it was weird that they played it out of order, didn't play all the songs, and inserted songs from other albums in the middle of it. there were moments of greatness but overall it was a little disappointing.

i couldn't hear shit up front either so i left after a few songs and spent the rest of the time by the soundboard.  sounded good back there.  their last 2 shows here have been seated, which i agree is lame.  hope they return to scoot inn next time.

Diiv at emo's last night was really good. The new material sounded great and they did an excellent job of creating a mood with their lighting and trippy videos. High quality shoegaze.

• Hook 'Em 2

I've been on a tear in DC lately:

• Dwight Yoakum last month: Dwight was great.  He flew through the set, which is good, it was long, but the band was tight as hell, and encored Suspicious Minds.  The real revelation was the Mavericks.  One of the best opening acts I've seen in years and took me back to when they were the new thing in the 90s. 
  • Bleachers a couple of weeks ago @ the Anthem. Crazy good show.  Just balls out full showman stuff for 2.5 hours. Dueling Saxophones, Two drumkits, multilevel stage. Jack Antonoff puts on a first class live show.
  • Camera Obscura at the 9:30 a week ago. It was......not good. Traceyanne Campbell had trouble staying in tune and seemed to be fighting with the band.  We left after "French Navy" and" Lloyd, I'm ready to be Heartbroken," which they thankfully played before the encore. 
  • Future Islands:  Excellent.  He's kinda of a weird dude, and I have no idea how his knees have held up over the years, but gotdamn "Seasons" goes hard. 

On 6/23/2024 at 9:41 PM, 4th&Five said:

Ditched the fam on our vacation for a couple of hours to see Iron & Wine in Vancouver. Awesome venue. 
IMG_3272.thumb.jpeg.3a6f847ff2de82e95f144ee18cc9af48.jpeg

I was in Vancouver BC in 2010 and on a whim decided to see a show.  Went to the Commodore and saw, wait for it... Spoon with opening act Black Joe Lewis.  lol

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/21/2024 at 9:25 AM, stc said:

was also at the drive by truckers last night. the floor was probably 75% full but the rest of the venue was pretty much empty. as i feared, the seated floor completely killed the energy in the place. unusual for that venue but I thought the sound wasn't great, could've been because we were off to the side but i had a hard time hearing cooley. i figured they would play the album straight through...thought it was weird that they played it out of order, didn't play all the songs, and inserted songs from other albums in the middle of it. there were moments of greatness but overall it was a little disappointing.

I was there too. We were pretty frustrated by the sound. Volume was waaaay too low all around. I don't think they filled the venue above 50%, so the lack of crowd energy definitely affected the show. Still love seeing those guys though. Love me some Cooley.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lots of good bands on that list.  Wish I could make it down.

Wine Lips, Teen Mortgage and Meatbodies are all must sees for me in addition to Black Angels and Osees, of course.

Spirit Mother is interesting - heavy psych with twin violin players creating an eerie drone.