Concerts you are attending

bamachine

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

They should've passed the bucket. 

They make a big part of their money off merch, but I don't know if they tried for tips.  The crowd wasn't exactly happy, but they won them over, which is what matters in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1

They make a big part of their money off merch, but I don't know if they tried for tips.  The crowd wasn't exactly happy, but they won them over, which is what matters in the long run.

Throw up that Venmo QR code at the end of the show!

I was never a big Third Eye Blind fan, but went to see them tonight at Germania - great show. It's funny when you were a rock snob in HS and thought bands like TEB weren't heavy enough to fit your cool wheelhouse, but then 30 years later and see them live and you're like "these guys rock way harder than most of the shit that's out today". 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2024 at 9:03 PM, jimmyjazz said:

That's a good point.  No idea if they have that set up but it should take about 1 minute.

Have ‘em put it on a sign that says “Will play music for food”

I’d drop ‘em a few bucks for the chuckle.

Unfortunately, their last two shows with S-K have been fully cancelled (Buffalo/Toronto).  They're trying to pick up a show in the Boston area before their 3-night run starting Monday (Alston/Philadelphia/Brooklyn).

Not that anybody cares, and many probably tire of the updates, but they played this correctly:  Amyl & The Sniffers just reached out and added them to their show in Buffalo NY tonight.  It pays to have old touring connections.  Thanks, Amyl!

* Amyl just opened 3 consecutive shows for Foo Fighters in NYC, Boston, and Hershey

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

On 8/3/2024 at 2:41 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Not that anybody cares, and many probably tire of the updates, but they played this correctly:  Amyl & The Sniffers just reached out and added them to their show in Buffalo NY tonight.  It pays to have old touring connections.  Thanks, Amyl!

* Amyl just opened 3 consecutive shows for Foo Fighters in NYC, Boston, and Hershey

Seems like a perfect opener for Amyl

Made a last-minute decision to see Fitz and the Tantrums and O.A.R. last night... bought tickets for my wife and I.  Not often I can convince her to go to a show on a "school night"

Fitz put on a great show - high energy, sound perfect live and just all around good vibes.  I will be very honest that I have very little O.A.R knowledge... honestly the kind of band I would change if I heard them on SiriusXM.  Went in with an open mind.  Meh... I don't get it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got to Vegas for work last night, checked to see if any interesting shows were in town... Bingo... Jane's Addiction (original line-up), and Love and Rockets sharing a bill at Fontainebleau on Friday.

Couldn't hit the buy button fast enough.  Can't wait.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Just got to Vegas for work last night, checked to see if any interesting shows were in town... Bingo... Jane's Addiction (original line-up), and Love and Rockets sharing a bill at Fontainebleau on Friday.

Couldn't hit the buy button fast enough.  Can't wait.

Janes’ is coming to Dallas in a couple of weeks. I checked out a youtube of a semi-recent live performance to see if they held up. They sounded pretty good.

I’m probably gonna hit the show but I want to see if prices drop a little bit.

4 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Janes’ is coming to Dallas in a couple of weeks. I checked out a youtube of a semi-recent live performance to see if they held up. They sounded pretty good.

I’m probably gonna hit the show but I want to see if prices drop a little bit.

Yeah, I haven't seen Jane's since the mid-90's, but I saw Love and Rockets last year at ACL Live and they were fantastic.  

My ticket (2nd row center on the mezz) was only like $130 with all the TicketMaster fees, which is basically free in Las Vegas terms, so I couldn't pass it up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Last Saturday, ShaneSmithMusic.com with Marty Stuart 2nd openee.

Family of 4 outing & yeah, it was hot.

Marty Stuart was blazing & I wish his set was 3× longer.  VERY happy I finally got to see him live.  Musical royalty & his Fabulous Superlatives kicked it through the uprights on demand.

Shane & the Saints were excellent as usual, played most of the songs I wanted to hear.  For some reason I'm just not as locked in on the new album "Norther" quite the way "Geronimo" hit me.  Probably need more listens I suppose.

First time seeing a gig @ the Whitewater Amphitheater.

Nice venue, ¿maybe? you could hear some music from the river if you were on a Yak, canoe or tube, but you won't be able to see anything.

20240803_223201.thumb.jpg.45c96120ec59f78d778fac976bc20924.jpg

20240803_223154.thumb.jpg.55c1d7afebec39dfac3a0655d56b53ef.jpg

20240803_222336.thumb.jpg.895073a622af3ae7dc5a13e0ec82f70e.jpg

20240803_222324.thumb.jpg.0f98ea150c67fb1ad8c024671c03a920.jpg

20240803_204315.thumb.jpg.977c816f7a15317ac57b340c46c3a58a.jpg

20240803_204305.thumb.jpg.dbc67e4d71de97e0cd026616a4860eac.jpg

20240803_204301.thumb.jpg.696dbb7c4129d5381639a49b3eaa4e36.jpg

Wife is working in Austin this week. We decided to spend the weekend there so I didn’t pick up tickets to Sixteen Deluxe at 13th floor earlier.

Show is sold out, and I’m on the waitlist.

If anyone has a hookup for a ticket, I’d appreciate it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Kings of Leon last night at Moody Center definitely did not suck. The talent was off the charts, and I'm not just talking about KoL.

I never listened to them, the OU angle sure didn't help, but my last dad band started playing "Molly's Chambers" as a rare cover and damn if that isn't a good song.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 8/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, Steel Shank said:

Saw The Misfits Saturday night at the Moody Center. I don’t have much of a history with punk (or whatever they’re classified as) but they kicked ass. Great show. Suicidal Tendencies also brought it.

What did you pay for those tickets and how empty was the stadium? Couldn't believe they were playing the new basketball arena AND trying to sell most tickets for $250 a pop, with general admission floor tickets selling for $450 retail. I thought they'd have trouble selling out Moody Theater at $100 a pop, much less a whole ass basketball arena for 3x that price. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

What did you pay for those tickets and how empty was the stadium? Couldn't believe they were playing the new basketball arena AND trying to sell most tickets for $250 a pop, with general admission floor tickets selling for $450 retail. I thought they'd have trouble selling out Moody Theater at $100 a pop, much less a whole ass basketball arena for 3x that price. 

I would guess maybe 80-85% full. There was definite excitement and anticipation from the folks as we were going in. Family member bought the tickets, so not sure how much they were - maybe $200 apiece.

Fuck, Barry Manilow is playing there sometime coming up. I would've thought the Paramount or ACL, but people will pay.

Fuck, Barry Manilow is playing there sometime coming up. I would've thought the Paramount or ACL, but people will pay.
I'm not a Fanilow, however the wife wanted to see him talk about his cats & play, so we went maybe ¿4? years ago?

I think it was Dave Koz opening & I am not adverse to Smoove Jazz.
Barry is the consummate entertainer; house was probably +95% sold out.

Lots of Gen X & Boomer laydeez doing the singalong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

AlamoDome last night w/ Journey opening for Def Leppard.

Traffic to get downtown & find parking was an expected hassle, so we missed on Steve Miller & got seated (sec. F, row 17... floor) maybe ½ way through the 1st Journey song.

Journey did a great show & you would never know the original core that was on stage are currently suing the shit out of each other.

Def Leppard did their usual thing & (I don't recall if it was Phil Collen) was wearing UTSA Roadrunners basketball jersey.

Show ended @ midnight & then we had a slog to get back up to Drip.
S/S concert tee for the wife (has both Def + Journey on it) was $ 55.⁰⁰+ tax.
7aa3b5bf193e9b4d518426b5f3d087bb.jpg446ed93331787671a60215e8d3e28246.jpgb39c1fe121c1f3e9abd4c0c30664401c.jpg09071630873f21964fe6b1851458b4ff.jpg92de877be42e8200d6e8144e83bf225e.jpg340410573781096a94c39350261d2b6f.jpge11e97fa0815428352991ba43c217331.jpg4749457b68e565a752d105b5d02608f1.jpg

On 8/1/2024 at 2:56 PM, CooterBrown said:

They should've passed the bucket. 

I remember explaining how "pass the bucket works" to Glenn the father of The Peterson Brother's.  He was they guy going around with the bucket, and I explained that you either need some cute young woman to shame the men into giving money. Or someone aggressive like me who will stand there and shame the money out of them.  I proved the veracity of my statement and helped them get that bucket a lot fuller.

My other advice to the boys was to ask them "Do you know the secret to choices in your future?"  They looked at me dumbfounded...  I then pounded the stage as I yelled, "Condoms! Condoms! Condoms!"  They will never forget me because of that.  Good kids who can rip.  I just need them to add, "Bang a Gong" by T. Rex.  It would be a great vehicle to do the solos in.

But the bucket, along with a little sob story, never hurt any starving band on tour.

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m supposed to be at Jane’s Addiction/Love & Rockets right now here in Dallas, but both the wife and kid are sick as hell so I’m at home instead. Back in ‘89, I was supposed to see the same bill at the Back Room (!!!) but I lost my wallet on the shuttle bus that day and they wouldn’t let me in. I’m still fucking pissed.

• Rage+1 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Love and Rockets just finished their set. I find their music forgettable and it doesn’t do anything for me. But, their drummer killed it on their last song.

Janes coming up next. 

Edited by GenXer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, GenXer said:

Love and Rockets just finished their set. I find their music forgettable and it doesn’t do anything for me. But, their drummer killed it on their last song.

Janes coming up next. 

WTF?  Love and Rockets are one of my favorite bands.  I'm hurt, @GenXer... hurt, I tell you.

Jane's will melt your face and Haskins (L&R drummer) makes a cameo for the last song... Chip Away.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Face melting confirmed. My expectations were tempered based on their age but they were fucking dope. They played most of the standards but left a bit of meat on the bone; no classic girl or just because.

But the songs where they just morphed into a grunge feedback laden jam were legendary.

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, "So Alive" and "No New Tale To Tell" put LnR in the near-stratosphere for me.  Incredibly atmospheric, stylish post-punk rock.  Fantastic band.

Give me love and rockets 1,000 times out of 1,000 over Janes Addiction. Vastly, vastly underrated imo. And I like Janes Addiction.

So alive, no new tale to tell are great but so much of their earlier stuff is just fantastic. I’d urge anyone who isn’t familiar to go back and rediscover:

7the Dream of a Teenage Heaven:
If there’s a heaven above
Dog end of a day gone by
Haunted when the minutes drag (absolute masterpiece)
Saudade

Express:
Really the whole first side
It could be sunshine
Kundalini express
All in my mind
Holiday on the moon

And of course their remake of Ball of Confusion. 12 inch version is best.

I still put both of these albums on full play through from time to time.

Love Daniel Ash’s guitar work. If you don’t know it, go listen to the Bauhaus cover of Ziggy Stardust. Holy shit.

Didn’t know they were touring. Off to find a tour date now.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Give me love and rockets 1,000 times out of 1,000 over Janes Addiction. Vastly, vastly underrated imo. And I like Janes Addiction.

So alive, no new tale to tell are great but so much of their earlier stuff is just fantastic. I’d urge anyone who isn’t familiar to go back and rediscover:

7the Dream of a Teenage Heaven:
If there’s a heaven above
Dog end of a day gone by
Haunted when the minutes drag (absolute masterpiece)
Saudade

Express:
Really the whole first side
It could be sunshine
Kundalini express
All in my mind
Holiday on the moon

And of course their remake of Ball of Confusion. 12 inch version is best.

I still put both of these albums on full play through from time to time.

Love Daniel Ash’s guitar work. If you don’t know it, go listen to the Bauhaus cover of Ziggy Stardust. Holy shit.

Didn’t know they were touring. Off to find a tour date now.

Don't know where you live, but you should definitely try to go to one of the shows on this tour.

Both bands killed it.  Took me right back to the late 80's early 90's.  

I felt dumb for not knowing this ahead of time, but the reason they are touring together is that Jane's Addiction credits Love and Rockets for helping them break out by taking them on tour back in '87.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Don't know where you live, but you should definitely try to go to one of the shows on this tour.
Both bands killed it.  Took me right back to the late 80's early 90's.  
I felt dumb for not knowing this ahead of time, but the reason they are touring together is that Jane's Addiction credits Love and Rockets for helping them break out by taking them on tour back in '87.

Did not know that. Very cool.

Live in AZ. Nothing on the tour near me.

On 8/3/2024 at 12:25 AM, NorthLoop said:

I was never a big Third Eye Blind fan, but went to see them tonight at Germania - great show. It's funny when you were a rock snob in HS and thought bands like TEB weren't heavy enough to fit your cool wheelhouse, but then 30 years later and see them live and you're like "these guys rock way harder than most of the shit that's out today". 

got the 25.00 seats from live nation and basically sat where we wanted.  they were much better than I expected.  even the acoustic set, which I normally hate from bands, was pretty damn good.  given parking was free and 50.00 for 2 seats it was well worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

Counting Crows and Santana last night.  First time to see Santana.  Carlos sat(understandably) for almost the whole show but he can still kick ass as only Carlos Santana can.  Band and light show were top notch.  Was great to see a legend and Soul Sacrifice is still a top 10 instrumental.

the fact that they were at Woodstock at all is crazy.  

I really like the CC's songs(even beyond the first 2 huge albums) but it is hard for me to get into them live when Duritz has this problem with singing the songs like they are on the record.  I get that it gets old singing a lot of the same songs night after night.  reworking or changing up the vocals on a couple is fine but it felt like the only song he sang straight was Rain King, which for me was the highlight.  I love Angels of the Silences but the acoustic reworking sucked to be honest.  anyway, rant over.  

Also, well worth the 25.00 seats from live nation.  place was packed too.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 1

He did that shit from day one.  I remember seeing them at Austin Opry House on their debut tour, T-Bone Burnett came out and recited the first verse of "Round Here" like a poem, then the band came out and Duritz couldn't be bothered to sing the fucking melodies.  I've seen them several time since, same thing.  The guy can write for sure, but man he is full of himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

He did that shit from day one.  I remember seeing them at Austin Opry House on their debut tour, T-Bone Burnett came out and recited the first verse of "Round Here" like a poem, then the band came out and Duritz couldn't be bothered to sing the fucking melodies.  I've seen them several time since, same thing.  The guy can write for sure, but man he is full of himself.

He's definitely got a case of LSD.  I had a chuckle when he stuck the microphone out for a crowd to sing a line and 90% of the crowd was like "I'm not sure what you are singing"

Edited by dcar00

On 8/19/2024 at 10:31 PM, dcar00 said:

Counting Crows and Santana last night.  First time to see Santana.  Carlos sat(understandably) for almost the whole show but he can still kick ass as only Carlos Santana can.  Band and light show were top notch.  Was great to see a legend and Soul Sacrifice is still a top 10 instrumental.

the fact that they were at Woodstock at all is crazy.  

I really like the CC's songs(even beyond the first 2 huge albums) but it is hard for me to get into them live when Duritz has this problem with singing the songs like they are on the record.  I get that it gets old singing a lot of the same songs night after night.  reworking or changing up the vocals on a couple is fine but it felt like the only song he sang straight was Rain King, which for me was the highlight.  I love Angels of the Silences but the acoustic reworking sucked to be honest.  anyway, rant over.  

Also, well worth the 25.00 seats from live nation.  place was packed too.

We enjoyed the show from the cheap seats as well.  Santana knows how to put on a show.  Lighting was cool and the camera over the percussion sections were great.   His wife is a hell of a drummer.

20240818_191411.thumb.jpg.f8c3e5af53a48ff0b49781d8a2f79389.jpg

20240818_220320.thumb.jpg.e0e66ebf255e6e0dc24c89dfddf175da.jpg

20240818_220338.thumb.jpg.3a2304ef86bad6ee441c3876c5e6bdb7.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm killing a week in MA and noticed there was a free festival in Fall River yesterday which was about an hr away from my sisters place. Cracker was the reason that I made the drive as Kerosene Hat is a sneaky top album for me, and they played a great set. But Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmour closed the night and Alvin can play some fucking guitar, damn. They played a lot of stuff off a new album, and it sounded great live. I was vaguely familiar with them, but will probably dig into more of their stuff now.

I'd guess maybe ~ 1500 people sitting around in lawn chairs in the grass in front of a smaller stage. You could walk right on up to the front of the stage. $6 beers from a local brewery and temps around 70 made for a pretty cool surprise for a free show. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Blotto said:

I'm killing a week in MA and noticed there was a free festival in Fall River yesterday which was about an hr away from my sisters place. Cracker was the reason that I made the drive as Kerosene Hat is a sneaky top album for me, and they played a great set. But Dave Alvin and Jimmie Dale Gilmour closed the night and Alvin can play some fucking guitar, damn. They played a lot of stuff off a new album, and it sounded great live. I was vaguely familiar with them, but will probably dig into more of their stuff now.

I'd guess maybe ~ 1500 people sitting around in lawn chairs in the grass in front of a smaller stage. You could walk right on up to the front of the stage. $6 beers from a local brewery and temps around 70 made for a pretty cool surprise for a free show. 

That sounds pretty idyllic.  The Blasters (Alvin brothers) were a terrific early cowpunk/Americana band, so definitely check them out if you haven't already.

• Hook 'Em 1