Concerts you are attending

bamachine

saw the black angels play a stripped down, semi-acoustic set at the new austin chronicle office last night. sounds like this is something the chronicle is trying to do regularly kind of like the tiny desk concert series. it was in their courtyard with maybe 100 people there and free beer from abgb. good scene, felt very old austin. black angels were great as always. 

20240829_200852.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

40 minutes ago, hornbri said:

‘Twas a great show last night. 

I had never been to a show at Wrigley and obviously acoustics are not great in a ball park. But the crowd and atmosphere more than made up for it. 

image.jpeg

Release, Down and U...pretty nice.  I'll be there tomorrow.

On 8/18/2024 at 10:37 PM, DixonHur said:

WTF?  Love and Rockets are one of my favorite bands.  I'm hurt, @GenXer... hurt, I tell you.

Jane's will melt your face and Haskins (L&R drummer) makes a cameo for the last song... Chip Away.

Dave Navarro is playing with them now, which is who I missed last go around.  Still sounded good.  Did see Perry Ferrel in the Prado in Madrid.  Love and Rockets should be a blast to see.  

Seeing Pulp in two weeks at Kings Theatre in Brooklyn.  

Caught Anders Osborne and Tab Benoit last Thursday at the Belly Up in Solana Beach. Good lord those two spent 2 hours straight fucking those guitars, just trading off riffs. That's a cool venue to see  a  show.  The dude that opened, JD Simo, is an animal as well. He played with just himself and a drummer and it was pretty damn solid. Just a great blues style guitar extravaganza.

Edited by Blotto
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Blotto said:

Caught Anders Osborne and Tab Benoit last Thursday at the Belly Up in Solana Beach. Good lord those two spent 2 hours straight fucking those guitars, just trading off riffs. That's a cool venue to see  a  show.  The dude that opened, JD Simo, is an animal as well. He played with just himself and a drummer and it was pretty damn solid. Just a great blues style guitar extravaganza.

I saw REK there in 2001. Great venue. 

On 8/31/2024 at 10:35 PM, Dr. Teeth said:

Saw Glass Animals tonight. Pretty damn good catalog and performance. 

i am SUCH a fan, gotdamn i love them, groove so good!

saw them at the Moody Amp. in 2021... and tonight at Red Rocks! 😁it was windy and rainy and cold and that place was packed and we did that shit lol. pretty epic! 🤘

20240904_191033.jpg

20240904_212044.jpg

20240904_214328.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Next Friday, the stews are playing granada in dallas. I saw them there last year, and they blew the roof off the place. One of the better shows I saw last year. I recommend checking them out for:

1.  Kickass music

2. smu talent. It was plentiful.

IMG_1383.thumb.jpeg.e49cc8cddddbdd89dab1b03c4073c5ab.jpeg

Paging @Firemans4Horn - you wanted recommendations at the Die Spitz show. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Well I am not sure if I've ever had more fun at a show than I did at the Cheap Trick / Journey / Def Leppard show last night. Wife and I enjoyed the hell out of it. I'm a Cheap Trick apologist but their set was utterly fantastic (He's a Whore is just such a great hidden gem), and I was able to mingle and sing with the other diehard CT fans there. The Journey and DL sets were great and everyone was partying and singing like no tomorrow. We were surrounded by super cool people and everyone was just having the time of their lives. The weather in Denver was 100% perfection and we just danced and partied for 5 straight hours. 

image.thumb.jpeg.522bbf0e06e21e611c5d74af8e467a70.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Looking for a couple extra Weezer tix to add to my six if anyone is selling. 9/27 moody center

I'll be at that show.  Chad Jr and I are doing a quick trip down and back.  Couldn't miss that line up in that venue.  They're playing at AAC in Dallas.  Boo.

3 hours ago, harpercollins said:

Looking for a couple extra Weezer tix to add to my six if anyone is selling. 9/27 moody center

I'll be at that show.  Chad Jr and I are doing a quick trip down and back.  Couldn't miss that line up in that venue.  They're playing at AAC in Dallas.  Boo.

Also seeing Cake in Dallas on Tuesday.  I've always had a soft spot for quirky, novelty-ish bands.  I also loved their off kilter guitar on the early albums but I can't recall if that guy is going to be with them or not.  Don't matter.  I got the tix for free from a friend who's son has to go to a baseball tourney.

• Hook 'Em 1

Been a minute since I posted on this thread but I met up with a bunch of my Texas boys in Colorado to see Khruangbin play at Red Rocks.  We donned our DEVO getup and went.  So much fun.  The music sounded great and the visuals were outstanding.  If you were sober they would make you feel like you were on mushrooms.  If you ate a mushroom chocolate bar like me, you would question reality.
Upcoming show schedule:
Front 242 - 9/14 : their song "Quite Unusual" might be my favorite of the industrial dance genre from my youth.  This is they're last tour so I'm pretty excited to see them.
Wand - 9/20 : I saw them 2 years ago and they melted my face off.  I saw STC's note about their new album so I'll listen to it a bit more to get more familiar.  My favorite song of theirs is "Clearer".
Pixel Grip - 9/29 : This is a newer band that I'm not really familiar with but I've liked the songs I've heard.  How can you go wrong with titles like "ALPHAPUSSY"?
Janes Addiction / Love & Rockets - 10/9 :  FUCK YES!!!!  Janes Addiction Nothings Shocking Tour in 1989 @ Numbers in Houston ($6 at the door) was where I learned how to stage dive.  I was a cross country & track runner and weighed a whopping 115 pounds.  People in the crowd were literally picking me and throwing me onto the stage.  It was a fucking blast!   Also saw L&R that year at the Music Hall with The Godfathers.  This will be nostalgia turned up to 11.
Glitterfox - 10/12 : This is a local Portland band that is blowing up.  I've met them a few times and they are awesome people and supremely talented.  Solange, the singer, sounds just like Stevie Nicks.  If you haven't heard of them check them out.
Bodega - 11/7 : High Energy band out of NYC.  Doers and Gyrate are particular favorites
The Black Angels - 11/10 :  I will never miss a Black Angels show that comes through town. Never.
LaFemme - 11/22 : Not really familiar but my gf likes them and wants to go - so I'm going.  French electronic band

That's it so far.  There will be more.

362e5ad48e73bbad0090a6398fdd2776.jpg

Edited by Nuge
  • Hook 'Em 3

Dallas roll call for the Stews on Fri night at Granada. I’ll be there. If you wanna hang, I’ll be the guy near the bar that looks way older than the SMU crowd wearing a foo fighters shirt and cowboy boots.

Also, the stews are live streaming their show in austin tonight if you want to check them out.

Starts at 8:45 PM central.

3 hours ago, GenXer said:

Dallas roll call for the Stews on Fri night at Granada. I’ll be there. If you wanna hang, I’ll be the guy near the bar that looks way older than the SMU crowd wearing a foo fighters shirt and cowboy boots.

Also, the stews are live streaming their show in austin tonight if you want to check them out.

Hmm, this is interesting. My wife was asking if we could do something on Friday night because she's ducking a GF's birthday dinner with their friends. We were thinking of hitting Barley and then walking over to the HP-Jesuit game at Ford Stadium but this could be cool. She threw out Mitski but I don't feel like dropping $150+ on tickets and dranks for somebody we've seen before that I'm not super interested in anyways.

As far as shows coming up, it's been pretty quiet for us since early summer. Things are about to start picking back up. We've got Goth Babe in Las Colinas in September and then we're sneaking out to SLC to hang with our new-found Kilby friends for the War on Drugs/National co-headline show there at the end of this month. Then we've got Rainbow Kitten Surprise in November, I think. I'm hoping my wife is planning a getaway to LA for the LCD show that falls on my birthday so we can both say we hit LCD live shows on our birthdays this year. That would be pretty damn cool!

• Hook 'Em 1

mike campbell and lucinda williams last night at acl live. picked up some $35 mezzanine seats right before the show. lucinda did an incredibly boring set, mike campbell did a set, and then lucinda came back out and did a couple of her songs with mike campbell's band and they covered some tom petty songs. it was painful listening to lucinda sing out of time and off key to the tom petty songs, just absolutely mangled them. mike campbell was trying to gently guide her along but it wasn't helping much. mike campbell's set was alright but overall not a great show. 

Just bought tickets for next week's Sofi Tukker show at the Moody Amphitheatre.  They kick off their US your in Austin.  Should be a good time.  My wife is not a huge fan of midweek shows but I think she'll enjoy it.  Fun and high energy.  We saw part of their set at ACL in 2023 from the side stage.

On 9/8/2024 at 8:33 AM, Bateshorn said:

Saw Bruce for the first time last night.  Absolutely lived up the the hype. I have no idea how he does that.  I'm 51 and just watching the show wore me the fuck out. 

saw him earlier this year, blown away. like his last 6 songs were just freaking great. whole place was rocking 

• Hook 'Em 1

Wife and I went. Didn’t see the guy in the Foo shirt and cowboy boots, otherwise I would’ve asked, “Are you from the Internet?”

Show was good. Vocals were muddled, probably because way too many college kids means all they do at shows is talk all show long. We went upstairs and I told Mrs C-Man I couldn’t remember hearing ambient crowd noise like that during a show in a long time.

Anyway, I think they’re pretty good instrumentally. I think they need to work on making good tunes now. I preferred the less Southern hard rock stuff. More MMJ, less Skynyrd.
  • Like 1