Concerts you are attending

bamachine

Soul Asylum was pretty solid last night at Mohawk.  Juliana Hatfield opened, and pretty much just played her 1992-93 era songs.  Her mix was unbalanced and quiet, really unfortunate.  

SA got the whole PA, it wasn't the best I've seen them but it may be the best lineup in terms of instrumental skill.  Almost nothing pre-hit, was not ideal, but I get it.  Dave Pirner should not tell "jokes".  I'm curious to hear what @Jerry Callo thought.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Soul Asylum was pretty solid last night at Mohawk.  Juliana Hatfield opened, and pretty much just played her 1992-93 era songs.  Her mix was unbalanced and quiet, really unfortunate.  

SA got the whole PA, it wasn't the best I've seen them but it may be the best lineup in terms of instrumental skill.  Almost nothing pre-hit, was not ideal, but I get it.  Dave Pirner should not tell "jokes".  I'm curious to hear what @Jerry Callo thought.

was there.  Hatfield just played her big album Become What You Are as a 30th anniversary tour.  damn she is skinny.  yeah the mix was weird.

Pirner played a bunch off his new album, 6 songs.  Setlist was much better the last time I saw him at ACL Live in 2021 and Local H opened.    I still don't understand why he avoids And The Horse They Road In On so much.  That album kicks all kind of ass IMO.

for 35.00 in a small room it was worth it.

13 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, my first exposure to the band was in 1988 at CBGB on the "Hang Time" tour.  Kinda set a high bar that can't be topped.  They did this MTV show the same day, and I'm pretty sure Pirner was already drunk:

I'd be disappointed if he wasn't drunk.  24 yrs old playing on MTV in 1988.  how can you call yourself a rock star if you aren't in the bag for the show?

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'd be disappointed if he wasn't drunk.  24 yrs old playing on MTV in 1988.  how can you call yourself a rock star if you aren't in the bag for the show?

A good buddy of mine weaseled his way into their sound check at Liberty Lunch maybe a couple of years later, and called me with the heads up to get my ass down there.  The band stumbled on stage a few minutes after I got there, it was early afternoon, Pirner was hammered and only wearing one shoe.  Great sound check, though.

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

A good buddy of mine weaseled his way into their sound check at Liberty Lunch maybe a couple of years later, and called me with the heads up to get my ass down there.  The band stumbled on stage a few minutes after I got there, it was early afternoon, Pirner was hammered and only wearing one shoe.  Great sound check, though.

was that the show they released?  I was at that one.  I had heard ATHTRIO about a year before standing in line at the Thundercloud off Lake Austin and asked the guy who the band was.  you could tell they had it.

SA got the whole PA, it wasn't the best I've seen them but it may be the best lineup in terms of instrumental skill.  Almost nothing pre-hit, was not ideal, but I get it.  Dave Pirner should not tell "jokes".  I'm curious to hear what [mention=482]Jerry Callo[/mention] thought.
I had a good time.   Liked the venue, although I'm sure it's nuts for a really crowded show.  I liked that there were places to sit inside so I didn't have to stand for hours. 
Juliana seemed cool, but the vocals were hard to hear.  I'm not a huge fan of SA, but they put on a good show.   I was on my way out when they paid Runaway Train.
I was going to ping you at the show, but Surly got the internet aids and I couldn't.   I decided not to go tapping on shoulders saying muledick.  You probably saw me - I have a pretty strong, uncool, dad vibe. 

• Haha 1

On 10/18/2024 at 9:48 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, my first exposure to the band was in 1988 at CBGB on the "Hang Time" tour.  Kinda set a high bar that can't be topped.  They did this MTV show the same day, and I'm pretty sure Pirner was already drunk:

Nice. They played a 21+ plus venue in Atlanta on that tour, so I had to wait until I was a sophomore in Austin to see them at Liberty Lunch on the Horse tour. I think that show was recorded for a live album.  One of my fave non- metal bands.

• Hook 'Em 1