Maalik Murphy single handedly unfucks Dukes football program.

Zeus

He got drafted in the 10th? Or was going to be drafted in the 10th and didn't sign so he could return? And then didn't get drafted when he exhausted his eligibility?
There weren't a whole lot of pitchers who threw in the mid-90s with control more than 30 years ago. Pitchers who could throw in the high 80s with consistent control were getting drafted back then. I'm not saying I don't believe you. I'm only saying that throwing in the 90s was a relative rarity then. Now, not so much. 

His jr year of college the Royals called because they wanted to draft him in the 10th. He wanted to finish school and they didn’t want to pay. It’s been quite a while since we discussed it, because it’s kind of irrelevant at this point.

On 8/31/2024 at 4:26 PM, Longboard Horn said:

Not bad for his first start at Duke. 

A 137 pass rating against a FCS program is pretty mediocre.  I wish him well.  But I have my doubts based on what I saw at Texas.  His game against Elon did nothing to change that perception.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

A 137 pass rating against a FCS program is pretty mediocre.  I wish him well.  But I have my doubts based on what I saw at Texas.  His game against Elon did nothing to change that perception.

Small sample size but Maalik's issue seems to be confidence. He was lights out until things went sideways, then he imploded. Hopefully reps give him the confidence he needs to stay loose when things go south.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, mwaadeeb said:

Small sample size but Maalik's issue seems to be confidence. He was lights out until things went sideways, then he imploded. Hopefully reps give him the confidence he needs to stay loose when things go south.

His problems are way deeper than that. Reading defenses, being a statue, winding up mechanically - those are all big deals. There are measurable issues with the guy that supercede concerns about the ethereal.

Northwestern has a pretty good defense, relatively speaking. We’ll know a lot more about how Murphy is developing after this weekend. 

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

His problems are way deeper than that. Reading defenses, being a statue, winding up mechanically - those are all big deals. There are measurable issues with the guy that supercede concerns about the ethereal.

Northwestern has a pretty good defense, relatively speaking. We’ll know a lot more about how Murphy is developing after this weekend. 

All those concerned me.  And the fact that he panicked when a defender got near to an extent it looked to me like he was afraid of contact.  That panic resulted in turnovers and several near turnovers.  A guy his size should not be afraid of getting hit.

7 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

All those concerned me.  And the fact that he panicked when a defender got near to an extent it looked to me like he was afraid of contact.  That panic resulted in turnovers and several near turnovers.  A guy his size should not be afraid of getting hit.

That too, but that is in the more subjective realm, to me, at least. People around the program last year were allegedly frustrated by his aversion to contact. There are guys on here who could add their thoughts if they wanted, in terms of how real or not they think that concern was, but I’m not calling them out to post on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Pretty surprising that a guy who has appeared in 8 career games, and still has 3 year of college ahead of him, isn’t looking like an NFL talent. We should shit all over him. 

No one is shitting on him. Are you actually his mother? This post reads like it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

fuckin' A, man, MM looked better than 90% of the starting QBs that took the field in NCAA contests last weekend

I bet there are a large number of teams who WISH they had him under center right now.

+1

He wasn't great, but he was competent, and he was a hell of a lot better than the QBs in damned near every other game. Fot a guy in only his third start, he did pretty damn well.

Fuck, yeah.

Hook'em

Edited by Tex Long
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

twelve thousand four hundred and eighty two posts full of "wisdom" like this. Just imagine what you could do with your time if you weren't a fucking loser.

Hey you should come to the Surly tailgate.  Be sure to wear your name tag with user name.

• Haha 1

I really do love how Surly this thread has become.

It's a thread on a former Texas QB, that it appears almost everyone wishes well and no one faults for transferring. 

Despite the fact that almost everyone is in support of MM and he no longer plays at Texas there is a headed debate about his skill level. Of course, there are some pics of hot Duke fans in the mix. Mostly the vitriol stems only over the skill set level of a former Texas player who has a total of 4 starts. 

Then there are the predictable idiots engaged saying really stupid shit off topic or just pain stupid shit in general. 

Then there's my already pre-confirmed fully regarded ass further derailing with observational commentary about the thread and no specific notation about the thread topic itself.

God damn this place is amazing.

Edited by BurntEyes
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

bigger programs should have taken a hard look at MM

If you're FSU and could do it all over again do you still ride with DJ or try to pull Maalik?

I'm not sure that solves FSU's issues though - they're a dumpster fire at all positions.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

No. He's sitting on the bench in Norman with his thumb up his ass.

wait what?

omg you're right

how many years of eligibility does that fucker have left? and how many more schools will he transfer to in the process?

16 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

wait what?

omg you're right

how many years of eligibility does that fucker have left? and how many more schools will he transfer to in the process?

He transferred back in January.

I had completely forgot about it too the other day and was reminded.