Overrated Food Places

TexArcher

Chuy’s food quality has been on the decline for a while. I would get the steak burrito and it felt like it was more and more tortilla and less and less meat or cheese. The chips were pretty good though and the creamy jalapeño is always delicious.

• Hook 'Em 1

Speaking of disappointing muffuletta sandwiches… Schlotzsky’s. What a poster child of enshitification from over expansion and private equity buyouts. Hopefully this is not the future that awaits whataburger and the #4 or the patty melt. 🙏🏻

Speaking of Tex-Mex. I lament that Taco Diner is officially dead now with the last few spots being shuttered I believe now, but I was at HPV the other day and noticed that the cousin restaurant Mi Cocina's as taken the one thing I loved and incorporated it: Los Cabos Salad. 
Other than that, Mi Cocina's sucks. Their chips are stale and the salsa is average and the food is below average. I'd rather eat Chuy's than Mi Cocina's.

Mi Cocina represents everything shitty about Dallas condensed into a bad combo plate.
  • Haha 1

On 9/28/2022 at 6:43 PM, Rimbo said:

And it's inordinately depressing to hear that Texadelphia got shitty.

Man, I loved that place 30 years ago. If I'd had the money, I'd have eaten there every day.

Damn, that’s a name I hadn’t thought of in a long time 

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The only things I ever liked there were some of the green chile dishes or a chuychanga topped with deluxe tomatillo. 

Didn't they have a green chile chicken stew back in the 90s? I remember that being quite good.

13 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Didn't they have a green chile chicken stew back in the 90s? I remember that being quite good.

Believe it or not, Rudy's BBQ has one that doesn't suck.  (Might be pork, can't remember.)  It's sold as a "side".  And Roaring Fork has a killer green chile stew.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The only things I ever liked there were some of the green chile dishes or a chuychanga topped with deluxe tomatillo.  And yeah...I dig the cilantro ranch dip for the chips, but that isn't sufficient reason to go there.  If you get dragged to Chuys, there are a couple of decent things to eat, but it was never a chosen destination for us.  I haven't been to one in at least 5-6 years.

i've eaten at Chuy's for 30 years and no exageration, literally the only thing I've ever ordered is a chuychanga with deluxe tomatillo sauce 😆

Here is the irony in DFW: Darden buys Chuys at the expense of ole Eddie V’s, the original “sold out and got crappier”

The Dallas location of Eddie V’s Prime Seafood is closing after 14 years on Oak Lawn Avenue.

The restaurant’s last day of service will be July 28, CultureMap reported.

Eddie V’s, which is owned by the same group over Olive Garden, Yard House, The Capital Grille and Seasons 52, first opened in Austin in 2000. The Dallas location opened in April 2010.

Posted (edited)

I’d have to go with Raising Cane’s. It was a nice novelty when they first came to Texas, but their tenders are dry AF. The sauce is great, but it’s not enough to open 700 locations in 38 states. 

Chick-fil-A could end them tomorrow if they copied the Cane’s sauce. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I gotta disagree with you there, Bill. I'm not a tenders guy at all but they are pretty delicious every time I have them. And last time I was there with my teenage son and nephews we went through 38 pieces of Texas Toast. I didn't get 1 even though guess who footed the bill. 

11 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’d have to go with Raising Cane’s. It was a nice novelty when they first came to Texas, but their tenders are dry AF. The sauce is great, but it’s not enough to open 700 locations in 38 states. 

I agree with you. The sauce is great, but the tenders are under seasoned and the batter doesn’t stick to the chicken well.

Layne’s > Cane’s. And they have spicy. And the sauce is basically the same. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I agree with you. The sauce is great, but the tenders are under seasoned and the batter doesn’t stick to the chicken well.

Layne’s is terrific despite all the stupid aggy bullshit. 

I would shut down my surly account for a Texadelphia and Double Dave's in the GOOF.

All other attempts at Peproni rolls suck ass, and I am 35 minutes to any Double Dave's in suburbia.

I can get a good cheesesteak nearby, but I can't get a good cheesesteak and watch college football with pitchers of beer.  The tiddy restaurants cheese steaks are garbage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Slacks said:

I would shut down my surly account for a Texadelphia and Double Dave's in the GOOF.

All other attempts at Peproni rolls suck ass, and I am 35 minutes to any Double Dave's in suburbia.

I can get a good cheesesteak nearby, but I can't get a good cheesesteak and watch college football with pitchers of beer.  The tiddy restaurants cheese steaks are garbage.

Dude. There’s a Texadelphia and a Double Dave’s within 20 minutes from the GOOF. I’d understand the gripe if you lived out of state or something. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

17 minutes ago, Slacks said:

Lots of places make a better cheesesteak than Texadelphia.  Making your own mustard blend sauce will set you free.

4 hours ago, Slacks said:

I can walk to DD's from my work. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Chuy's has kind of sucked for a while so I won't really miss it.

I'm starting to get concerned these restaurant conglomerates are all that will exist in the not so distant future though. Several local places have closed recently because they just can't keep up with rising costs and rents.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Js1 said:

It also seems like the tenders at Cane’s have gotten a lot smaller recently. As for Layne’s, I don’t get it. They opened one nearby and I’ve given them a shot twice and both times the tenders looked and tasted like frozen tenders out of a bag that had been warmed up.

On 7/18/2024 at 1:02 PM, ChickenSandwich said:

Cashing out. Every restaurant owner’s dream. 

This. Larry Foles and Guy Villavaso are very wealthy men following a playbook of starting restaurants and cashing out at the right time.

17 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I'm starting to get concerned these restaurant conglomerates are all that will exist in the not so distant future though. Several local places have closed recently because they just can't keep up with rising costs and rents.

IMG_5755.webp.aee8c65974d0868bb41af916261a2a63.webp

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It won't satisfy any late-night high as fuck take-out jones, but these are better than most fast food tenders/strips.

image.png.2c638a053c53c7be73c43df05762e564.png

The slider versions legit taste like CFA but that’s the pickle brine 

• Hook 'Em 3

All restaurants in the future will be Taco Bell. Saw it in a movie.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Huh.  I thought the different "shapes" were all the same.

Probably but for some reason, only the patties taste the most similar to CFA to me. The tenders don’t as much 

Just now, Js1 said:

Probably but for some reason, only the patties taste the most similar to CFA to me. The tenders don’t as much 

I just looked at the website -- the strips are the only with "pickle" in the description.  I feel a taste test coming on.  Back to overrated restaurants.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Slacks said:

I can get a good cheesesteak nearby, but I can't get a good cheesesteak and watch college football with pitchers of beer. 

I champion it a lot, but honestly Billy's is your answer here. Billy's Philly is outstanding. Not sure about pitchers of beer, but they have a wide beer selection including lots of local options.

Nevermind. Just saw you're in Houston and not Austin

Edited by ftf82
  • Drool 1

19 hours ago, Braff Zacklin said:

If you're gonna do tenders, why not Golden Chick or Chicken Express? Better tenders, imo, and you can get gravy.

DQ, too. Plus steak fingers. 

1 hour ago, ftf82 said:

I champion it a lot, but honestly Billy's is your answer here. Billy's Philly is outstanding. Not sure about pitchers of beer, but they have a wide beer selection including lots of local options.

Billy's has pitchers.  I know domestics are $7 on Mondays, because I might have drunk a few.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2024 at 9:47 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

LSU trash.  I tried it on their home turf.  One opened around the corner from me and I haven't been once.  The special sauce is a variation of the mixture of ketchup/mayo/relish that every fast food place has.  And the only side options are shitty fries or gloppy cole slaw.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I still haven't gotten the recipe correct.  And a former Texadelphia employee (allegedly) gave it to me.

I don’t use exact measurements.  Spicy brown mustard, a little teriyaki, and a dab of honey, then add mayo until it tastes right.  I keep a squeeze bottle of it in the fridge.

On 7/20/2024 at 9:23 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Dude. There’s a Texadelphia and a Double Dave’s within 20 minutes from the GOOF. I’d understand the gripe if you lived out of state or something. 

Holy shit. I did not know a texadelphia opened in memorial. I would have home the yesterday.

Double Dave's is not close. Westheimer and Spring are 30+ minutes... And Westheimer makes thin rolls.

1 hour ago, WBT said:

LSU trash.  I tried it on their home turf.  One opened around the corner from me and I haven't been once.  The special sauce is a variation of the mixture of ketchup/mayo/relish that every fast food place has.  And the only side options are shitty fries or gloppy cole slaw.

No slaw, extra toast. Everything soggy as shit by the time you get home unless you open the container while driving and your car reeks of fried chicken 

• Hook 'Em 1