Texas Recruiting Notes 2026: NIL Deals for flying cars

texifornia

I was like oh shit, we getting a 5* already, hopefully. But he's a 4* and we have time to flip him if he doesn't choose us. But these kids committing this early is dumb. We all know the chances of him not flipping will be close to zero unless they're a QB. Rarely do skill position guys stick to their original commitment. 

26 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Simmons is the On3 national guy, if this is true.

Screenshot_20240911_102551_Chrome.jpg

Simmons didn’t say he was coming to Texas, just that there was some buzz. Nahlin also just posted there would be some predictions for Texas come in for him today. 

Smoke out there that he may be reclassifying to 2025, he would pair well with Jonah if true. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, bEastTexas said:

Simmons didn’t say he was coming to Texas, just that there was some buzz. Nahlin also just posted there would be some predictions for Texas come in for him today. 

Smoke out there that he may be reclassifying to 2025, he would pair well with Jonah if true. 

Tennessee mod says it won't be the Vols.

With reclassification being a relatively new trend in football recruiting, it'll be interesting to track the success/hit ratio of players that do reclassify and go to college at the age of 17. Seems like for every Quinn Ewers and Ryan Williams, there's multiple JT Daniels, Tony Grimes, Donnell Harris, Dezz Ricks or LT Overtons who were highly rated and never amounted to shit. But that's just going off my memory. Would love to see some data on that. 

13 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

With reclassification being a relatively new trend in football recruiting, it'll be interesting to track the success/hit ratio of players that do reclassify and go to college at the age of 17. Seems like for every Quinn Ewers and Ryan Williams, there's multiple JT Daniels, Tony Grimes, Donnell Harris, Dezz Ricks or LT Overtons who were highly rated and never amounted to shit. But that's just going off my memory. Would love to see some data on that. 

The thing that will be hard to keep track of is who was held back and is just reclassifying to their original class but still interesting to follow. 

• Hook 'Em 2

- Sources/vibe say(s) Texas

- couple of interesting tidbits (may reclassify, aunt lives in Dallas, parents want to move to Texas)

- not putting in a CB ("it being so late" - or more correctly, they don't have much of a clue)

VIP intel: The latest on Top100 safety Zelus Hicks ahead of college commitment

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

VIP intel: The latest on Top100 safety Zelus Hicks ahead of college commitment

Hank South (Horns 247)

The No. 8 safety and No. 79 overall player in the class of 2026 will announce his commitment on Thursday, Sept. 12 at 2 p.m. CT. A product of Carrollton (Ga.), Hicks has offers from programs all over the country, with Texas, Auburn, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, and Tennessee considered the main contenders ahead of his decision.

With less than 24 hours to go until Hick announces, here's what Horns247 is hearing. (247Sports' Tom Loy and Anna Adams contributed to this) 

— Hicks is considered a top target for the Longhorns staff. His offer is committable and Texas is pushing for the 6-foot-1.5, 180-pound talent.

— Hicks visited Texas twice this year, once in April and then again for the Texas Elite Camp in early June. "Today they really jumped," he told Horns247 of the Longhorns after he worked out for staff. "Probably in my top five right now. Definitely top five. … "I like how the DBs are produced out here. Time after time, they have the top DBs in the nation come out of here."

— Another interesting note we've reported on Horns247 is Hicks' connection to the state of Texas. Hicks' aunt lives in the Dallas area, and Hicks told us his parents intended on moving to Texas when he went to college, regardless of where he chose.

— Hicks, as 247Sports' Anna Adams noted, is a reclassification candidate, and potentially could end up in the class of 2025. Texas is not currently on any other 2025 safeties outside of five-star pledge Jonah Williams. One source said of Hicks' decision to potentially reclassify: it's "up to him." That being said, he's a top target either way. 

— Speaking with multiple sources near Hicks' recruitment, the overall vibe we're getting is things are trending towards Texas. Auburn has been considered the main competition, and there isn't much confidence on the Plains as it pertains to Hicks at this point in time. Same can be said in terms of uncertainty with schools like Clemson, Tennessee, and Georgia.

— Horns247 isn't putting in Crystal Ball picks on this one with it being so late. Hicks is keeping things very close to the vest, too. But if you're looking for any signs, there are a lot of them pointing to Austin.

Edited by Getafix
  • Hook 'Em 7

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

It's still really early, but if we keep doing on the field what we've done the first two weeks, this class may be the best Sark has pulled yet.  We were already in a good spot for several 5*'s/high 4*'s before we kicked off the season (Turntine, Carlton, Osborne, ect).

The Osborne tweet and us beating up on UM while he was there....all positives

Elite 2026 RB Javian Osborne goes in-depth on latest Texas visit VIP

Hank South (Horns 247)

Spoiler

Elite 2026 RB Javian Osborne goes in-depth on latest Texas visit VIP

Hank South (Horns 247)

Four-star 2026 running back Javian Osborne has seen Texas play twice already this season — once last week in Ann Arbor, and then again last night in Austin. It was the Forney (Texas) product's first game visit since last year's thriller against Kansas State. He was last on campus for the Texas Bash Pool Party at the end of July.

"It was a good atmosphere, crazy atmosphere," Osborne told Horns247. "It's been a while since I've been back. It was definitely fun just being back down there in Austin. Getting a feel for game day and how it is down there. Just seeing the atmosphere, especially a night game."

Texas suffered some injury setbacks at the running back position in fall camp. Last night, Jaydon Blue was held out of the game due to precautionary reasons as well. Still, the running backs were able to make some big plays for the Longhorns on the evening.

"Running backs, they are a special group right there," Osborne said. "Especially being able to see JG (Jerrick Gibson) getting to tote the rock as a freshman. That shows a lot just about Coach Choice and using his running backs. Seeing Jaydon Blue last week and how he ran the ball well, seeing how Coach Sark utilizes the running backs. Especially just letting them be out in space and being able to do what they do. It shows a lot. I'm enjoying seeing those running backs thrive in Coach Sark's offense."

Osborne got to the game a little later due to film obligations with his team. He met with running backs coach Tashard Choice after the game.

"Coach Choice, when I was talking to him after the game he was just asking me about the team, how I'm holding up, my body, just keep being a leader."

Osborne told us in July he planned to visit Texas for the Georgia game this fall. That's still on the schedule. The only other game he knows he'll attend right now is Florida State at Miami.

"Texas is high up there," he said of where UT stands. "They've always been high on my list. They stand out. They show a lot in the category of how they utilize the running backs. Texas, they're high on my list. Really just trying to see where things are at with Texas, just seeing the depth of the running back room, and just how things are going to go from here on."

Of note, Osborne is getting to know the other Texas commits in the class.

"The recent commit, Zelus Hicks, I actually texted him and congratulated him," Osborne said." I know Dia Bell. He's been talking to me, staying in contact, just seeing what's up and how the season's going."

At 5-foot-10, 195 pounds, Osborne is ranked the No. 4 running back and the No. 54 overall player in the country, per the 247Sports Composite Rankings.

Texas is trending on the 247Sports Crystal Ball.

• Hook 'Em 6