Star Trek Megathread

atomheartbevo

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 12:56 AM, atomheartbevo said:

How is Star Trek attracting Oscar-worthy talent for what looked like a second-tier show?

if you could go back five years and tell yourself that Paul Giamatti and Holly Hunter would be headlining a Star Trek show about Starfleet Academy, you’d probably look at your future self and make a mental note to start hitting the gym more often,

Also announced, Mary Wiseman (Tilly) and Oded Fehr (Dadmiral Vance) will return in ST Academy. As well as Robert Picardo (The Doctor) and Tig Notaro (Jett Reno)

It does not sound like Tilly will be the “star,” as previously thought. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...

I mentioned in stolen valor thread that my 72 year old dad was self made, posting the quote below.

My dad went from oldest of 14 pulled from school at grade 6 to go work as a janitor to help feed the family, to architect, entirely on his own. Never even finished highschool, he joined the airforce to get his GED. Later put himself through night school while doing construction for 15 years while simultaneously raising a family. My dad is still the single best source of car knowledge -- my blind spot -- that I know, because he rebuilt engines in Nam. He also forbade any of his kids from joining the military, he said he had served so nobody else in the family needed to.

I'm damn proud of his record and what he did with his chance, but my dad also thinks that making such a big deal about serving and "stolen valor" is stupid. He said it was just a job, not an identity.

So, with that in mind, he's been watching Star Trek for the first time after being interested in it for years. Every few days I go over in the evenings or weekends and we'll watch a few episodes a night. We're at the tail end of TNG by now, and we're watching DS9 interwined as it originally aired, so we're also on season 3 of DS9. Last night, I watched "Heart of Stone" with him, it's the episode where Nog joins starfleet thanks to Sisko. Quick refresher, Nog was an illiterate hoodlum who had never been to school in his life before Sisko came aboard. His dad was basically an indentured servant to quark, who was constantly abused despite showing signs of technical brilliance. Heart of Stone ends with Sisko telling Nog he won't recommend him to starfleet, which yields this speech.

This entire situation wasn't lost on my father, and this episode moved him deeply. Nog is easily the best written character in any star trek series, his arc is simply the best. I'm so excited for my dad to see where Nog's arc takes him, it's such a good one. But that scene right there might be my favorite Nog moment. They could have very easily made him hate his father, but he doesn't. He loves him a lot, and is proud of him, he just recognizes the shitty situation they are in. And I love this scene so much because it not only sets into play events that frees Nog from his situation, but also allows his father Rom to better his life. This one scene is probably the single point that changes his entire family's life, and it comes from a moment of sincerity. I love how touched Sisko is when he realizes Nog's plight. What a fucking episode.

Edited by WelfareBuysMyWeed
fixed this site's shitty formatting
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

That stuff belongs in the Smithsonian and other museums, not in someone's private collection. (Or in someone's private collection but on display in the Smithsonian.) As cultural artifacts, few items are more important than some of the props from OG Star Trek. Kirk's Phaser deserves to be in a crate in that warehouse sitting next to the Ark of the Covenant, safe from the Germans.

• Hook 'Em 1

My dad and I finished TNG sunday. As always, All Good Things is a perfect ending and one of the best episodes in all of Trek. We've timed this perfectly: my dad is aware of the "Grow the beard" trope, and I've been telling him that once TNG ends, DS9 gets *really* good. Well, we've been ping-ponging between episodes of DS9 and TNG, and it just so happens that next weekend when we see our next DS9 episode, Sisko grows his beard, haha. Perfect timing, just as TNG ends on a high note, DS9 starts to kick into high gear.

Man this franchise is so good when you see it in the intended airing order.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Is Paramount plus ending so this can go to a streaming service I already have?

Im a huge fan of the franchise, but I haven’t seen any of the new stuff since Cpt Archer on Enterprise.  I’ve watched the Pine movies of course.  

47 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Is Paramount plus ending so this can go to a streaming service I already have?

Im a huge fan of the franchise, but I haven’t seen any of the new stuff since Cpt Archer on Enterprise.  I’ve watched the Pine movies of course.  

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are worth the price.

• Hook 'Em 1

So, I watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds and was intrigued. So I paused that to go watch Discovery and I’m really struggling. Halfway through the first season and I can’t see any reason to keep continuing. Does it get better? Or should I just jump into Strange New Worlds and forget about it. Outside of Picard  I haven’t watched much of the new material.

Edited by HiggyBaby

56 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

So, I watched the first episode of Strange New Worlds and was intrigued. So I paused that to go watch Discovery and I’m really struggling. Halfway through the first season and I can’t see any reason to keep continuing. Does it get better? Or should I just jump into Strange New Worlds and forget about it. Outside of Picard  I haven’t watched much of the new material.

Here's the thing - a huge chunk of Season 2 of Discovery introduces you to the Strange New Worlds crew, starting with Season 2, Episode 1.

If you are struggling with Disco, I would say watch the S2 Discovery episodes with the Enterprise cast, and when that wraps up, hop back over to Strange New Worlds.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

S1 takes a minute to get going. Once it does though…. Wow.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Cool thx, I’ll plug thru at least season 2

I have watched Discovery full through twice, and some seasons 3 times.  My rankings are:

Season 2 (duh, intro of Pike/Spock/Una/Reno) 
Season 4 (most Trek-y to me)

Season 1 (best mirror universe episodes)

Season 5

Season 3 (ugh)

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

I decided to drop AMC for Paramount to watch Star Trek.  There are several series I haven’t seen because they were only on Paramount. Pretty good start to first episode of Strange New Worlds. Pretty wholesome sci-fi so far.  Archer/Enterprise started like that too.  Looking forward to some crazy shit. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elvis said:

I decided to drop AMC for Paramount to watch Star Trek.  There are several series I haven’t seen because they were only on Paramount. Pretty good start to first episode of Strange New Worlds. Pretty wholesome sci-fi so far.  Archer/Enterprise started like that too.  Looking forward to some crazy shit. 

You really need to see season 2 of Discovery before jumping into Strange New Worlds.

Or not, but I recommend it.

And if you were a fan of TNG/DS9/Voyager, you need to watch Lower Decks

And if you need semi-nudity, on Lower Decks, you'll see the offspring of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid nearly showing off his censored. Or an animated Jerry O'Connell fucking a censored.

NSFW

🚨

Spoiler

s09w2utfcsq71.jpg

2021.10.06-02.05-boundingintocomics-615d

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

You really need to see season 2 of Discovery before jumping into Strange New Worlds.

Or not, but I recommend it.

And if you need semi-nudity, catch Lower Decks, you'll see the offspring of Meg Ryan and Dennis Quaid nearly showing off his censored. Or an animated Jerry O'Connell fucking a censored.

NSFW

🚨

Hide contents

s09w2utfcsq71.jpg

2021.10.06-02.05-boundingintocomics-615d

Discovery is before Strange New Worlds?

I guess I need a chronology for watching.  

1 minute ago, Elvis said:

Discovery and Strange New Worlds start out running in parallel (think TNG/DS9) - Pike/Spock/Number One are introduced in season 2 of Discovery.

On 8/27/2024 at 1:23 AM, Elvis said:

Discovery gets weird with the timeline, especially after season 2. I would watch season 2 where they introduce spock, pike, number 1, and Kirk and then switch to strange be worlds. After that watch the rest of discovery if you want, but it has no bearing or ties to Strange New Worlds going forward. 

There's also a fun crossover between SNW and Lower Decks. So I would say watch a few episodes of Lower Decks to get familiar with the 2 to 4 main characters. It's much better than Discovery, especially if you're a big trek fan, but it's an animated comedy so if that turns you off, not a big deal to skip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, Viper said:

Discovery gets weird with the timeline, especially after season 2. I would watch season 2 where they introduce spock, pike, number 1, and Kirk and then switch to strange be worlds. After that watch the rest of discovery if you want, but it has no bearing or ties to Strange New Worlds going forward. 

The only good thing about Discovery is it led to Strange New Worlds. SNW is excellent, but they have locked themselves into a stardate. How many seasons can they get out of it and what events happen in the Rodenberry Universe? I'm not Trekkie enough to know, but I do know there's a couple big fucking wars. Let's hope the studio sticks with it.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, Viper said:

Discovery gets weird with the timeline, especially after season 2

It's not THAT weird - season 1/2 are set pre-TOS and lead into SNW, then jumps to the end of the Star Trek timeline. 

At the moment, the official Trek timeline is:

Enterprise 
Discovery seasons 1
Discovery season 2 (which is fully classified, hence why it doesn't ever get mentioned except briefly in SNW)
Strange New Worlds
TOS
TAS
All the TOS cast movies (TMP to Undiscovered Country)
TNG
Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
DS9
Voyager
Lower Decks
Prodigy
Picard
Discovery seasons 3-5

The Kelvin movies are a different timeline where 2233 was the diverging point to the Kelvin timeline. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

For what it's worth, I did not start Discovery until getting completely caught up on SNW, and did not find the order to be a big deal.  Just think of it as a flashback.  

You definitely don't HAVE to watch Discovery season 2 before SNW, but it's good pre-SNW material.  Seeing Pike in action (with a diff crew) mostly. Doesn't matter who his crew is, he's a badass

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

Best comment - it needs 7 seasons, because:

It needs to honor the TNG-era tradition of going a little off the rails in season 7. I want a baseball episode. I want the whole crew to de-volve into animals. I want two characters who have zero chemistry and no business being together to end up together at the last minute only to be quietly dropped the next time either of them show up.

• Drool 1

• 2 weeks later...