Jordan Whittington appreciation thread

TexArcher

On 8/11/2024 at 4:49 PM, Sgt Hulk said:

Criminally underused. So happy to see him crushing it today 

On 8/11/2024 at 9:57 PM, Rex Kramer said:

Man I thought so too. Hard to get balls to him with X and JT and the backs, and then last year with AD. But I still agree with you. His production at Texas wasn’t what it could have been. He never complained, he just threw some blocks. Sark loved him, and I always watched this kid since high school. I hope he has a very long productive career. Love the kid. 

Definitely right @Sgt Hulk and @Rex Kramer

From The Insider  (thanks @MuellerHorn )

A college coach very familiar with Texas' personnel said, "It will be interesting to see if Sark tries to target one of these receivers the way he did with Xavier Worthy at times.

"I get that Sark wants to have the most explosive offense in college football," the coach said. "But there were so many times a guy like Jordan Whittington was open underneath, but the ball went to Worthy downfield in a contested situation and fell incomplete.

"Look at the connection rates in terms of targets and receptions for Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy. You'll see what I mean."

Sure enough, Worthy had a career catch rate of 58.5% (335 targets, 196 receptions) over the last three seasons. Whittington had a five-season catch rate of 74.1% (189 targets, 140 receptions), including a 74.5% catch rate in 2023 (55 targets, 41 receptions).

There's no doubt Sarkisian wants to push the ball down the field and loved Worthy's speed between the 20s to take shots. Worthy's catch rate last year of 63% (119 targets, 75 receptions) was far better than it was in 2022 of 52% (113 targets, 59 receptions).

A good chunk of those misfires in 2022 came in a 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Quinn Ewers, who was 19-of-49 passing in that game, targeted Worthy 17 times and connected on four passes (for 78 yards and a touchdown). After that game, Sarkisian said he kept calling for Worthy to be targeted because of his explosive play capability.

The balance of talent in the wide receiver room right now, in addition to Ewers' maturity in the offense, likely means the catch rates are more likely to mirror the percentages posted by Worthy (63%), Adonai Mitchell (64% with 86 targets for 55 catches) and Whittington (74.5%) than in previous seasons.

Jordan Whittington spent five seasons in the Texas program. He's presumably battling with former Oklahoma WR Drake Stoops for a roster spot with the Los Angeles Rams.

— A quick side note on Whittington, a sixth-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Rams who had six catches for 74 yards, including a 30-yarder, in the Rams' 13-12 preseason victory over the Dallas Cowboys last weekend:

Whittington, who is likely battling former Oklahoma wideout Drake Stoops for a roster spot, is in a receiver room with Pro Bowlers Cooper Kupp, a former third-round draft pick, and 2022 fifth-round draft pick Puka Nacua.

Whittington was mic'd up during the preseason game against the Cowboys and was seen getting repeated feedback from Kupp.

"I ain't never been in a receiver room like this," Whittington said. "Everybody's close and everybody cares."—

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Definitely right @Sgt Hulk and @Rex Kramer

From The Insider  (thanks @MuellerHorn )

A college coach very familiar with Texas' personnel said, "It will be interesting to see if Sark tries to target one of these receivers the way he did with Xavier Worthy at times.

"I get that Sark wants to have the most explosive offense in college football," the coach said. "But there were so many times a guy like Jordan Whittington was open underneath, but the ball went to Worthy downfield in a contested situation and fell incomplete.

"Look at the connection rates in terms of targets and receptions for Jordan Whittington and Xavier Worthy. You'll see what I mean."

Sure enough, Worthy had a career catch rate of 58.5% (335 targets, 196 receptions) over the last three seasons. Whittington had a five-season catch rate of 74.1% (189 targets, 140 receptions), including a 74.5% catch rate in 2023 (55 targets, 41 receptions).

There's no doubt Sarkisian wants to push the ball down the field and loved Worthy's speed between the 20s to take shots. Worthy's catch rate last year of 63% (119 targets, 75 receptions) was far better than it was in 2022 of 52% (113 targets, 59 receptions).

A good chunk of those misfires in 2022 came in a 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Quinn Ewers, who was 19-of-49 passing in that game, targeted Worthy 17 times and connected on four passes (for 78 yards and a touchdown). After that game, Sarkisian said he kept calling for Worthy to be targeted because of his explosive play capability.

The balance of talent in the wide receiver room right now, in addition to Ewers' maturity in the offense, likely means the catch rates are more likely to mirror the percentages posted by Worthy (63%), Adonai Mitchell (64% with 86 targets for 55 catches) and Whittington (74.5%) than in previous seasons.

Jordan Whittington spent five seasons in the Texas program. He's presumably battling with former Oklahoma WR Drake Stoops for a roster spot with the Los Angeles Rams.

— A quick side note on Whittington, a sixth-round draft pick of the Los Angeles Rams who had six catches for 74 yards, including a 30-yarder, in the Rams' 13-12 preseason victory over the Dallas Cowboys last weekend:

Whittington, who is likely battling former Oklahoma wideout Drake Stoops for a roster spot, is in a receiver room with Pro Bowlers Cooper Kupp, a former third-round draft pick, and 2022 fifth-round draft pick Puka Nacua.

Whittington was mic'd up during the preseason game against the Cowboys and was seen getting repeated feedback from Kupp.

"I ain't never been in a receiver room like this," Whittington said. "Everybody's close and everybody cares."—

Quinn's downfield inaccuracy and X's hands in '22 were the primary causes for that low catch rate.  I do agree with the sentiment of the opposing coach and wish some of those balls to X had been thrown to Whitt.  And lol at the notion that Whitt is battling for a spot.  He's battling, but not for a spot.  He has a spot.

• Hook 'Em 2

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

A good chunk of those misfires in 2022 came in a 41-34 loss at Oklahoma State in which Quinn Ewers, who was 19-of-49 passing in that game, targeted Worthy 17 times and connected on four passes (for 78 yards and a touchdown).

IMG_2298.gif

• Haha 2

On 8/13/2024 at 6:43 PM, farmersnotfighting said:

Mic'ed up. Seems pumped. Glad he's getting a chance to learn from Kupp and Stafford. 

This was awesome.  Around 1:48, he comments that he's never been in a receiver room like this.  Everyone is close and everyone truly cares.  Receiver rooms tend to be filled with selfish folks, but I *thought* the receiver room at Texas last year was less dysfunctional than most.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

This was awesome.  Around 1:48, he comments that he's never been in a receiver room like this.  Everyone is close and everyone truly cares.  Receiver rooms tend to be filled with selfish folks, but I *thought* the receiver room at Texas last year was less dysfunctional than most.

I mean our WR room was nice last year but it wasn't the Los Angeles Rams. Whitt was the elder statesman at Texas - now he gets to learn about the game from vets at the highest level.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, msucolt45 said:

Is J Whitt going to stay with #88? Just asking prior to the final roster, as I’m going to purchase a J Whitt T-Shirt/Jersey as soon as it’s finalized.

Hook’em!!!

I’ve never owned an nfl jersey, but wouldn’t it be cooler to have one that has 88?

• Hook 'Em 1

He reminds me of Quan Cosby in a way. He didn’t necessarily have a direct route from here to there, but he kicked ass from here to there. And you knew he was going to do what it took, whatever it took. Maybe not the most recognized guy from the stands, but absolutely recognized on the field. 

“I love this place” from the Big 12 Championship video summed it up. I’m hoping he stays healthy and banks that cash. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2