Kelvin Banks Appreciation Thread

Beau Vine

3 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Bobby Burton said this morning that evidently Banks tweaked his ankle vs baylor, and has been wearing a boot off and on during the week between games. 

Banks had it on yesterday...

That would probably explain why he looked slightly more mortal against Kansas. 

Bobby Burton said this morning that evidently Banks tweaked his ankle vs baylor, and has been wearing a boot off and on during the week between games. 
Banks had it on yesterday...

I believe this was very late in the game and no reason for him to be in the game. If we want to lose a game or two, it’s these types of decisions that will do it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Texas OL Kelvin Banks Jr. Talks What To Expect From Next Year’s Team | 3rd & Longhorn  (Jan 26, 2024)

3rd & Longhorn

image.png.02e7706eacfe3a3455a7c01aa3903b7c.png

Derrick Johnson, Fozzy Whittaker, Jeremy Hills, Rod Babers, and Nick Shuley are joined by Texas sophomore offensive lineman, Kelvin Banks Jr. They delve into his decision to come to Texas after originally committing to Oregon, the toughest players he’s lined up against, the impact of the transfer portal, and what to expect from next year’s team. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 5 months later...

NFL Draft stuff  (July 12th)

Kelvin Banks Jr. | Offensive tackle

ESPN's Matt Miller on Banks: "A prototypical left tackle"

Prospect ranking: Pro Football Focus (No. 6.), Tankathon (No. 9), Pro Football Network (No. 17)

It's not often that a school features a quarterback who could go first overall, yet the consensus is that he's not the best pro prospect on the roster. We'll get to that quarterback in a moment, but first, let's talk about that certified premium prospect; offensive tackle Kelvin Banks Jr.

At 6-foot-4 and 324 pounds, Banks has the frame needed to succeed at the next level. His blend of athleticism with explosiveness and natural leverage makes him extremely effective in both pass protection and the run game, a package any NFL team would covet.

It's very hard to imagine Banks falling out of the top 10 of this year's draft. Even in the Pro Football Network list, he's the second-highest graded tackle and just a couple of spots below #1. If that ends up being the case, he'll all but certainly be a high draft pick, just based on positional value; the best couple of offensive tackles will always be drafted quite highly, even if it's a relative down year for the position.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All the smoke: UT Longhorns football star Kelvin Banks Jr. gets into the barbecue game

Matthew Odam, Austin American-Statesman

Screenshot_2024-08-19-16-49-18_kindlephoto-12674363.png.287fd0e79038fa98a5e0a7507b05a142.png

When 6’5” 318-pound Kelvin Banks Jr. approaches a barbecue restaurant, the staff’s eyes get big.

His arrival means the cutting board is about to get a good workout, the business is going to make some money, and Banks is likely to share the experience with his thousands of social media followers.

There’s also the star factor. The towering and seemingly immovable Banks, a junior at the University of Texas who has started every game at left tackle in his first two seasons with the Longhorns, is a pre-season All-American in many people’s minds, as well as a future potential first round pick in the 2025 NFL Draft.

He might not get as much screen time as the quarterbacks whose blind sides he’s enlisted to protect (likely Heisman candidate Quinn Ewers and legend-in-waiting Arch Manning) or the running backs for whom he drives open truck-sized holes, but Banks has what many consider one of the most important jobs in Austin. And his profile is on the rise thanks to the Barbecue Tasting Series he started on his Instagram page over the summer.

The graduate of Summer Creek High School near Humble has already filmed visits to Terry Black’s Barbecue, Cooper’s Old Time Pit Bar-B-Que and Rudy’s in Austin, and the American-Statesman joined him recently for his first experience at LeRoy and Lewis Barbecue, which opened this spring in the Garrison Park neighborhood of South Austin. 

The soft-spoken Banks ducked to avoid a ceiling beam entering the main dining room. A smile spread across his face as he took in the smells and sites on his maiden voyage to one of the best in Austin.

“Smells awesome,” Banks said. “I love the vibe in here. I’m getting excited just looking at the pictures.”

After ordering enough smoked meats (including Banks’ first ever plate of beef cheeks) and sides to feed a Pop Warner team, Banks and I sat down for a conversation about barbecue, football and family. We were joined by LeRoy and Lewis chef and co-owner Evan LeRoy, who fired a warning shot at the Longhorns’ newest rivals.

“I would stand to say we have some of the best pulled whole hog in the SEC,” LeRoy said. (Critic note: It might be my favorite dish at the restaurant.)

The following are highlights from our conversation with Banks, edited for clarity and concision. You can check out a video from our visit on both the Austin360 (@austin360) and Banks’ Instagram (@thekelvinbanks) pages.

What made Banks want to get into the barbecue content game?

“I wanted to show myself and my character more and get myself more out there. I’m kind of a quiet guy, shy," Banks said. "I think it was a no-brainer. First thing when you think about Texas and food is barbecue. Who doesn’t love barbecue?

How often does Banks eat barbecue?

Probably two to three times a month before the series started, but now almost every week.

When he walks into a place, do people recognize Banks?

“Do you play football?” some people ask. “You guessed it,” Banks deadpans. Humbly adding, “I’m just a guy who blocks.”

What are generally his favorite smoked meat dishes?

Brisket, pork ribs and beef ribs.

Was there grilling or cooking at the family home when Banks was growing up in Humble?

Kelvin Banks Sr. grilled almost every weekend: Ribs, chicken, sirloin. “I grew up loving barbecue,” Banks said.

Does Banks cook at home? 

“A little bit, not too much,” Banks said with a smile. He’s never attempted to cook barbecue, but LeRoy said if the lineman or any nascent cook made a first run at the cooking style that, “The easiest first thing you want to cook is a pork shoulder. Put a good rub on it, don’t get it too hot and just cook it till it’s tender. Wrap it up in foil. Brisket is a full commitment.”

What is Banks' go-to stadium food, if he’s at a game as a fan?

Nachos and Frito pie, the latter of which LeRoy and Lewis serves.

How did Banks end up choosing to come to Texas to play ball?

A UT fan for as long as he can remember, Banks says, “I guess it was a no brainer for me at the end of the day. My heart felt at home here.”

Did Banks always play offensive line? 

Banks didn’t start line play until high school. He played tight end, quarterback and running back in his youth. “Two years in a row I was the only person who scored a touchdown,” Banks said. “And we won the championship both years.”

With the Longhorns entering the season ranked in the Top 5 for the first time in 14 years, how does Banks feel?

“It's a mix of excitement and pressure. As a football player there’s always gonna be pressure on your back, especially from expectations, from coaches to family to fans. And the fans put the pressure on you the most,” Banks said.

Is there added pressure protecting the blind side of a Heisman trophy favorite (Ewers) and the heir apparent (Manning)?  

“I feel like whoever was back there, it would feel like a big responsibility,” Banks said. “I try to take every day as seriously as I can and understand that someone else’s career is in my hands. Basically, just trying to make sure I keep them as clean as possible.”

Are there any SEC opponents he’s looking most forward to playing? 

“Any away game I’m excited about, just because it’s a different environment,” Banks said. He’s specifically fired up for the Arkansas game because he has heard from teammates the Razorback faithful are incredibly intense and will line the streets throwing out the “Horns down” sign from the trip to the hotel to the stadium.

“It is what it is,” Banks said. “They can do it if they want to; we just gotta go out there and win the game and stop them from doing it.”

What Longhorn teammate of Banks could wipe out the kitchen at a barbecue joint? 

Fellow offensive lineman, Neto Umeozulu.

What does Banks like to eat after practice or a game?

Not surprisingly, Banks said he and his family usually go to a barbecue spot or Pappadeaux.

What is Banks' favorite dessert?

Cheesecake (he was a big fan of LeRoy and Lewis’s version made with Tillamook cheddar and topped with apple butter and a cheddar crisp).

Favorite candy bar?

Hershey’s with almonds or Kit Kat.

Does Banks have any hobbies outside of barbecue and football?

Fishing on a weekend off. He and his dad and grandfather go deep sea fishing.

If he wasn’t destined for the NFL, would Banks be interested in a career in food or food-related content?

“The old me, no,” Banks said. “But me now, for sure.”

What did Banks think of LeRoy and Lewis?

He loved the wide variety of offerings, including flat iron, beef cheeks, onion rings (“Best I’ve ever had in my life”) and burger, adding that he could probably put away four of the burgers on an empty stomach.

““I love how you mix in so many different cultures into your food,” Banks said of the menu that features nods to Mexico (salsa verde on chopped beef), Japan (rice wine vinegar in the pork) and Korea (kimchi). I’ll definitely be coming back. I’ll probably be bringing some of the guys with me.”

Kitchen staff, consider yourself warned...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/smoke-ut-longhorns-football-star-170121617.html

Man, it's been such a pleasure going from having just 2 OL players drafted in the last 13 years to Flood starting to make a pipeline to the NFL. Banks will be an elite T in the NFL, followed by Cam Williams, Goosby, Campbell, Majors, Baker, Turntine, Kibble, Chatman, Cruz, Cojoe, and I bet John Mills and Brooks will get their names called. 

IDGAF, our line issues are a thing of the past now, gentlemen.