What the fuck is wrong with you, Houston? Non-CR thread

crash_davis

On 5/10/2024 at 9:40 AM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Mayor Baldy keeps pounding the table with “the city is broke” and yet is risking throwing away millions of federal infrastructure dollars because the projects were planned in his eyes by “anti car activists” just because they include a bike lane and some nice sidewalks…highly infuriating.

And don’t get me started on the fact that his new appointees to the METRO board have hit the brakes on all of the Bus Rapid Transit lines that have been in the works for years, likely for the same reason. Only projects that are moving forward are using METRO money to repave streets for both cars and buses to use. If it doesn’t help single occupant car infrastructure, Mayor Baldy’s administration doesn’t seem to want it done…

shepherd durham project back on the menu

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/transportation/2024/06/04/489615/second-phase-of-shepherd-durham-redesign-in-houstons-heights-to-proceed-mostly-as-planned/

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Sarah Michelle Harding is charged with giving alcohol to a minor, criminal mischief, and the unlawful carrying of a weapon after an incident early Monday morning.

3rd time hitting same house 

So she’s the “cool mom” in Friendswood, got it

On 6/6/2024 at 8:06 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Is there a joke here I’m missing? She’s wrapping houses. Anybody with a pressure washer and a hose can that clean that up in about 10 minutes. 

It's Friendswood. The mom was probably helping the kids bully another kid.

On 6/6/2024 at 8:32 PM, tx 3 putt said:

Sarah Michelle Harding is charged with giving alcohol to a minor, criminal mischief, and the unlawful carrying of a weapon after an incident early Monday morning.

3rd time hitting same house 

Ok. Now it makes sense. Criminal defense attorneys aren’t cheap. Have fun with that. 

On 6/6/2024 at 9:35 PM, Evil Bill Obrien said:

So she’s the “cool mom” in Friendswood, got it

Kids in our neighborhood just Favor their booze.  I was walking the other day past one of my best friend's house.  He has twin boys the same age as my son (15).  Little turds had a case of beer and another of white claws dropped off at their door.  Favor driver just left it on porch.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Kids in our neighborhood just Favor their booze.  I was walking the other day past one of my best friend's house.  He has twin boys the same age as my son (15).  Little turds had a case of beer and another of white claws dropped off at their door.  Favor driver just left it on porch.

Kids today are missing out. There’s nothing like driving to the seedy side of town and pulling a hey mister. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 2

On 6/13/2024 at 11:02 AM, Poester said:

Kids today are missing out. There’s nothing like driving to the seedy side of town and pulling a hey mister. 

They could have stayed on the decent side of town where the Asian lady on graustark will pack them up in Pepsi 12 packs for you. 

Shot:

Chaser:

would be a lot easier for more people to “dump the pump” if you put any sort of effort into making an East-West transit line like the University Line happen instead of dumping it without any sort of vote or public input. Incredibly frustrated as part of the 70% of voters who voted for bond issuance to pay for more transit options and instead we have limp dicks at METRO cowing down to Mayor Baldy who wants everyone driving cars everywhere canceling all the transit projects in METRO Next.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Dozens of people a day use the Bart line on Post Oak.

Silver line was set up to fail because it didn’t have any other rapid transit connections, like the one that could have been provided by the University BRT Line (or the old Blue line light rail concept from the early 2000’s that got repeatedly killed by John Culbertson) and had a lot of bad luck in opening during COVID.

I get why they did it as a trial balloon to show people how a bus system could be similar to light rail, but having it all on its own in uptown doomed it. 

Maybe we can try again to expand transit in another 4-40 years once all the boomer politicians like Whitmire and the bozos he put on the METRO board are 6 feet under the grass and not paving over the grass…

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Silver line was set up to fail because it didn’t have any other rapid transit connections, like the one that could have been provided by the University BRT Line (or the old Blue line light rail concept from the early 2000’s that got repeatedly killed by John Culbertson) and had a lot of bad luck in opening during COVID.

I get why they did it as a trial balloon to show people how a bus system could be similar to light rail, but having it all on its own in uptown doomed it. 

Maybe we can try again to expand transit in another 4-40 years once all the boomer politicians like Whitmire and the bozos he put on the METRO board are 6 feet under the grass and not paving over the grass…

As someone who lives in Afton Oaks, I am thankful Culbertson killed that.  Rail down Richmond would have killed the neighborhood.  Richmond is the one decent east-west road in the city.

14 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

As someone who lives in Afton Oaks, I am thankful Culbertson killed that.  Rail down Richmond would have killed the neighborhood.  Richmond is the one decent east-west road in the city.

richmond is a decent east-west road if you run a suspension shop.  holy fuck the potholes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

42 minutes ago, elfenix said:

richmond is a decent east-west road if you run a suspension shop.  holy fuck the potholes. 

No joke, I’ve never thought of Richmond as some sort of smooth boulevard.

9 hours ago, elfenix said:

It’s good in our neighborhood.  They repaved a few years ago.  People now drive too fast sans pot holes.  Especially until they reach the UP railroad tracks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

Do you drive a literal monster truck? Thats the only reason I can think of anyone thinking Richmond is the one decent east-west road in the city when it's like driving on the surface of the moon. Would have had to resurface it into an actual nice level graded road if they put rail down it years ago...

I don’t see how Richmond rail would have killed Afton oaks. I understand that neighborhoods don’t want it but saying it would kill a neighborhood is a stretch. Besides afton oaks is already bordered by 610, Hwy 59, westheimer and a freight rail line. It’s not like it’s Mayberry. If anything rail would push vehicle traffic away from Richmond. I avoid light rail streets.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don’t see how Richmond rail would have killed Afton oaks. I understand that neighborhoods don’t want it but saying it would kill a neighborhood is a stretch. Besides afton oaks is already bordered by 610, Hwy 59, westheimer and a freight rail line. It’s not like it’s Mayberry. If anything rail would push vehicle traffic away from Richmond. I avoid light rail streets.

It's the people rail would bring in.  Lot of bums.  We don't need more of them.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Do you drive a literal monster truck? Thats the only reason I can think of anyone thinking Richmond is the one decent east-west road in the city when it's like driving on the surface of the moon. Would have had to resurface it into an actual nice level graded road if they put rail down it years ago...

Which section are you talking about? It’s a pretty smooth road for the most part. Westheimer and W Alabama are far worse. 

6 minutes ago, Da Fino said:

Which section are you talking about? It’s a pretty smooth road for the most part. Westheimer and W Alabama are far worse. 

The section that I drive most is Spur 527 to Kirby-ish and it’s awful. 

On 6/13/2024 at 11:02 AM, Poester said:

Or throwing a mag light through the window of the car after guy runs off a your money. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

I guess I’m thinking further west on Richmond, lived and worked in Westchase for a while and it was an absolute moonscape out there west of and for a good while east of the beltway.

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

Guess l give you points for cutting to the chase and being honest about it just being about not wanting “those people” that rail may bring. Would contend most of them wouldn’t be getting on or off the train at the maybe 1 stop that would be in Afron Oaks and would just pass thru on the way to downtown or the Galleria, but never gonna find out who’s more right about that anyhow…

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

Guess l give you points for cutting to the chase and being honest about it just being about not wanting “those people” that rail may bring. Would contend most of them wouldn’t be getting on or off the train at the maybe 1 stop that would be in Afron Oaks and would just pass thru on the way to downtown or the Galleria, but never gonna find out who’s more right about that anyhow…

According to our Mayor, “those people” don’t go to the Galleria area so transportation for them is unneeded.

9 minutes ago, royiv said:

According to our Mayor, “those people” don’t go to the Galleria area so transportation for them is unneeded.

If our Mayor truly believes that he obviously hasn’t been outside his River Oaks country club bubble in a very long time

I know John is more cultured than that tho, saw him at Romanos on West Grey the weekend the Final 4 was in town last year with what I can only describe as a lady of the evening of the Asian persuasion 

image.gif.a26d0340b57c77d65b7e40f31123f246.gif

…or it might have just been a way younger female intern or employee or something but I think my Asian hooker story is way better than that

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Evil Bill Obrien said:

If our Mayor truly believes that he obviously hasn’t been outside his River Oaks country club bubble in a very long time

I know John is more cultured than that tho, saw him at Romanos on West Grey the weekend the Final 4 was in town last year with what I can only describe as a lady of the evening of the Asian persuasion 

image.gif.a26d0340b57c77d65b7e40f31123f246.gif

…or it might have just been a way younger female intern or employee or something but I think my Asian hooker story is way better than that

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/articles/news/city-of-houston/2024/05/30/489153/mayor-whitmire-criticized-over-comment-about-gulfton-community-and-galleria/

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

At least you're honest about wanting to deny public transit infrastructure so you can have an easier time sorting out whomever you deem to be undesirable 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

7 hours ago, Da Fino said:

I drive it a lot between west loop and Kirby.  It’s smooth.  they repaved around us a few years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

We’ve been through this before in transit. If homeless people can ride for free with impunity, they’re always going to be causing trouble. 

A family member was in the hospital for about 2 months recently. Just a nightmare, but the staff was great. The nurses are extremely hard working, but they rely heavily on Patient Care Assistants (PCA). These folks don’t make much, about $20 an hour. Many of them are women, many are first or second generation Americans. All of them are afraid to ride Metro to work. They’d rather pay $20 a day to park at their own workplace than take the train. Just a sad state of affairs that the people who need light rail the most won’t use it.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/21/2024 at 10:41 AM, Hard Times said:

The Houston media leaves out the fact that they raped this poor girl for two hours before they dumped her. Fucking animals. And it’s not just Houston. Coming to a town near you. 

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

The Houston media leaves out the fact that they raped this poor girl for two hours before they dumped her. Fucking animals. And it’s not just Houston. Coming to a town near you. 

From articles that I've read, the DA has not confirmed that she was raped and they're awaiting test results. I imagine if the DA, police and responsible media all declare that she was raped and then tests say otherwise, then the defendant gets to argue even more that they cannot get a fair trial in Houston.

Even your tabloid article doesn't confirm that she was raped. Only the headline declares it which is not the story. Why not wait for the facts to emerge before you are outraged.

I know, man....raping a kid....who do these guys think they are, Pastors/youth ministers?

Constantly wailing about how the world is shit and society is failed and we are all doomed. Consistently berates and belittles everyone on the other side of or that doesn’t full agree with his political stance on a matter based on “morals” and what is right…..Makes jokes about a child being raped and murdered. God I love this place
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Constantly wailing about how the world is shit and society is failed and we are all doomed. Consistently berates and belittles everyone on the other side of or that doesn’t full agree with his political stance on a matter based on “morals” and what is right…..Makes jokes about a child being raped and murdered. God I love this place

Sorry.  I thought we were getting all riled up about people who rape kids.  I was just pointing out the group that is among the statistically most likely to do so (still falls behind "creepy uncle/dad/other male relative," but closing the gap it seems).  Our kids are generally safer among fast food restaurant employees, drag queens, auto mechanics, immigrants, farmers, and 1000 other groups, than they are among church staff, but you know, it seems we're actually not that concerned about child rape at all.  We're mostly concerned about using it as an excuse to bitch about something else (if you hate child rape, you HAVE to hate drag queens and immigrants!  What about church workers, you know, the group of people who keep getting popped, every freaking day, for child molestation/rape and who are statistically in a much more favorable environment to keep doing so?  Oh, well, umm.....FREEDOM OF RELIGION!  Why do you hate Jesus?!)

Bottom line, if we were really all about "protecting our children," we'd be storming churches.  Instead, we try to point the finger.....anywhere else, including at groups who, STATISTICALLY, are LESS likely to commit sexual abuse of a child.

Just say you hate wetbacks, and get on with it.

L-ohfucking-L. I hate wetbacks. Yes that is correct. Me, the guy whose great grandmother is literally a mojado and who worked in a watermelon field during the spring/summer and pulled weeds in a cotton field in the fall. The woman whose name is tattooed across my chest because I am so proud of the strength, perseverance, and resilience that she displayed her entire life. Yep, I hate wetbacks.

There is no justification for mocking a child being raped and murdered. Go fuck yourself you fat sanctimonious cunt. And shove your strawman up your ass while you’re at it, but I got $20 says you can’t reach that far anyways.

• Hook 'Em 5