2024 Senate Elections

Ghost of LL

21 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No one on the Dem side lacking for money 

IMG_2914.thumb.jpeg.6036783a92e4d3fdeb30f4bc15bb8aeb.jpeg

Who gives a $7M loan to a Senate candidate? That feels... pointless? Unless it's some workaround that a loan you never repay gets counted differently (or secretly) than a campaign contribution?

Just now, dieucla98 said:

Who gives a $7M loan to a Senate candidate? That feels... pointless? Unless it's some workaround that a loan you never repay gets counted differently (or secretly) than a campaign contribution?

Hovde is worth $200 million.  That's nothing that he can't pay himself back from campaign funds.  And you know he will

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, dieucla98 said:

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hovde is worth $200 million.  That's nothing that he can't pay himself back from campaign funds.  And you know he will

If he loans his campaign money he can pay himself interest on his own loan. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

But he has to pay himself back from the 11.7 million or future donations, right?  Making it really 4.7. 

Wonder if the loan gimmick works with small donors.  Next solicitation text should have a reply with an offer to loan $50. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

But he has to pay himself back from the 11.7 million or future donations, right?  Making it really 4.7. 

Wonder if the loan gimmick works with small donors.  Next solicitation text should have a reply with an offer to loan $50. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

If he loans his campaign money he can pay himself interest on his own loan. 

I know the FEC changed the rules on loan repayment because of Fled Cruz.  But I'm not smart enough to figure it out. 

But yes, Hovde raised $4.7m from donors and $7m from himself

If he wins, future donations. If he loses, it’s a loss. Also, there is a lot of fundraising that happens in the last 2-4 weeks that is difficult to effectively use. Loaning yourself the money helps utilize the expected funds. So, his loan may be less by Election Day.

12 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Balloon popped

So what exactly do we expect to be included here?  Just normal spousal "he said, she said" that the GOP is going to try to flood the airwaves with?  

3 minutes ago, Gap03 said:

So what exactly do we expect to be included here?  Just normal spousal "he said, she said" that the GOP is going to try to flood the airwaves with?  

Desperate ass shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Dems best realistic hope other than a Tester miracle is Osborn winning NE; I don’t think he’ll caucus with the Dems but he will vote patriotically when it counts; he’d certainly vote to raise minimum wage and any other pro-union issue.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Dems best realistic hope other than a Tester miracle is Osborn winning NE; I don’t think he’ll caucus with the Dems but he will vote patriotically when it counts; he’d certainly vote to raise minimum wage and any other pro-union issue.

His entire platform mostly aligns with Dems and he'd be the most powerful Senator - 

The issue is he has to caucus with someone if he wants committee assignments - if it is 50/49 in favor of the GOP and Harris/Walz wins, he pragmatically should caucus with the Dems if he plans on anything he wants (minimum wage, PRO Act, etc.) having a chance to pass.  He'd be a huge pain in the ass for anything besides pro-labor issues, but so was Manchin. 

Because none of those things are coming up for a vote under a GOP Senate.  Period. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I could see that the Dems best hopes at partial control of the Senate rest with Lisa Murkowski not agreeing with MAGA bs. I always want to believe that she's a Dem at heart but not enough to flip to a Dem.

She did endorse Peltola for the AK-AL house race.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/16/2024 at 4:28 PM, ChuckNorrisActionJeans said:

That Sheehy guy is a total cunt, entirely unlikeable, not to mention a weird liar and outsider. The fuck. 

I have my own personal thing with Navy SEALs (we were in the same AO in Iraq and they were total glory whores and unfortunately had the command pull to get mission priority) but it seems like the bulk of their veterans who have run for office are kind of shit bags.  Sheehy, Greitens, Crenshaw, Van Orden. 

• Hook 'Em 3

On 10/17/2024 at 11:02 AM, Snake Diggity said:

; he’d certainly vote to raise minimum wage and any other pro-union issue.

I’ve been thinking about what a post Harris win Democratic Party focuses on, particularly if the goal is to pull back in men, and I think they need to go very strong into pro-labor, strengthen unions, etc., even if it makes the Wall Street donor class queasy.  You can build into the longtime Republican derived plans like job re-training, apprenticeships, lowering or eliminating professional licensing requirements.  A lot of these aren’t federal but the party needs to promote the vision.   

They’ve got to figure out a message that appeals outside of urban and educated population centers.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I’ve been thinking about what a post Harris win Democratic Party focuses on, particularly if the goal is to pull back in men, and I think they need to go very strong into pro-labor, strengthen unions, etc., even if it makes the Wall Street donor class queasy.  You can build into the longtime Republican derived plans like job re-training, apprenticeships, lowering or eliminating professional licensing requirements.  A lot of these aren’t federal but the party needs to promote the vision.   

They’ve got to figure out a message that appeals outside of urban and educated population centers.  

Yep, Unions and rural farmers seem like who they should focus on.  Secondary to that they’ve got to figure out to properly message their stance on gender equality and gun control.

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Cook Political has moved Nebraska Senate to Lean R

Where we at with the close races overall?  I'll try the googles but a solid majority in the Senate is another blue wall we all need to be pushing/talking about.  We know Trump has been a black hole for many Congressional R candidates...here's hoping it leads to a massive Democratic majority.  I know that's a pipedream to some but I think it's realistic with all the forces at play.  

• Hook 'Em 2