Welcome to Costco .....

tx 3 putt

4 hours ago, bigup2dahorns said:

— Costco shares added nearly 3% after the wholesale club raised its membership fee for the
first time since 2017

up 30% YTD.

fucking juggernaut.  Glad I pulled the trigger on some shares last year after talking myself out of it over and over and over and over.

10 hours ago, Incredulity said:

up 30% YTD.

fucking juggernaut.  Glad I pulled the trigger on some shares last year after talking myself out of it over and over and over and over.

I bought about $4k worth back in 2017/2018 when it was under $200 a share. I’m up over 400% since then on those shares. Wish had I bought $40k worth. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

You two just keep arguing about who can get their mouth around the biggest peanuts.

We're in a forum about food and a thread about Costco. I'm not arguing, just pointing out an imbecile.  image.thumb.png.006d34b90de1a14950f946cf29d67988.png

I'm sure it's fascinating.

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

3 hours ago, Chopper said:

$8 for this huge can of huge, excellent peanuts, also available for shipping if you don't want to bother going to the store.

image.png.e71070f121fe47ef10173c13a770aa11.png

Completely different opinion. I tried those, but found them oversalted to the point of being inedible. 

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Completely different opinion. I tried those, but found them oversalted to the point of being inedible. 

I didn't notice excess sodium but a good reminder that I should watch how many I eat. What's your go to? From a quick look it's a little less (1% rda) than WF360 and a little more than Planters. Also 1% more (granted, that's ~20% by volume) than the Peanut Shop of Williamsburg's "lightly salted" at about a quarter of the price.

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

I didn't notice excess sodium but a good reminder that I should watch how many I eat. What's your go to? From a quick look it's a little less (1% rda) than WF360 and a little more than Planters. Also 1% more (granted, that's ~20% by volume) than the Peanut Shop of Williamsburg's "lightly salted" at about a quarter of the price.

I just went by taste man. 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, hornian said:

If you're looking for asswipes, they have those too:

Screenshot2024-08-12at12_44_34PM.thumb.png.0ecf15e0e8af1edeaaeec123ce38d154.png

for anybody who laments that the 'american dream' is dead, remind them that a bunch of roomate bros launched a multi-billion business by literally rebranding baby wipes.

• Hook 'Em 3

37 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Was at a Costco in Woodland Hills, and they scan your card as you enter the store.  Also, at the (outdoor) food court, you have to scan your card before you can order at the kiosk. 

that's coming to every costco.  can't wait for it to hit the austin stores, they're so packed.

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Was at a Costco in Woodland Hills, and they scan your card as you enter the store.  Also, at the (outdoor) food court, you have to scan your card before you can order at the kiosk. 

Can't you use the pharmacy w/o a membership?  How do they resolve that?

21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Can't you use the pharmacy w/o a membership?  How do they resolve that?

There was an article in the local paper the other day about this.  Yes, pharmacy is OK for non-members.  I was also shocked to learn that they have to sell beer, wine, and booze to non-members.  That may be CA only...it didn't say.  It also said that if you have a costco gift card with pennies left on it, you can get store admission and buy as much as you want as long as you pay cash/debit for the balance. 

So, non-members using the pharmacy aren't showing a card for admission anyway. 

Edited by Gil Bang

In Texas (well, Austin) the main store has beer & wine but no booze.  The adjacent store has a little beer & wine plus liquor.  I think that one doesn't require a membership, but I don't know about the main warehouse.

In Texas (well, Austin) the main store has beer & wine but no booze.  The adjacent store has a little beer & wine plus liquor.  I think that one doesn't require a membership, but I don't know about the main warehouse.

It doesn’t either.

37 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

that's coming to every costco.  can't wait for it to hit the austin stores, they're so packed.

Do you really think that a significant portion of that crowd are non-members, wandering around scarfing samples?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TonyTexas said:

Do you really think that a significant portion of that crowd are non-members, wandering around scarfing samples?

Costco's problem is going there is an "event'.  There's too many large groups.  Husband, wife, two kids, the wife's sister and her kid wandering around checking shit out

• Rage+1 1

I think my another part of the problem is they haven’t historically cared about matching the photo on the card to the person presenting it. I read that they are going to start being more diligent about this to crackdown on people passing cards around to friends and family. One article I read said they were encouraging members to make sure the photo on their membership card is up to date.

14 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Costco's problem is going there is an "event'.  There's too many large groups.  Husband, wife, two kids, the wife's sister and her kid wandering around checking shit out

Costco's official policy is any card-holding member can bring 2 guests over the age of 18 with them.  They don't restrict the number of minors with a card carrying member.  I heard a Costco rep on BBC or ITV estimating 30% of people at peak traffic times fall outside of this policy. 

With all due respect, the problem in the N. Dallas ones are the Indians that bring their whole family and then stop in the middle of an aisle, turn their cart sideways and mill about for 10 minutes blocking entire aisles. Keep it moving. Stroll on the right, pass on the left and then get over. Just like on the highway.

• Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, Scary Stranger said:

With all due respect, the problem in the N. Dallas ones are the Indians that bring their whole family and then stop in the middle of an aisle, turn their cart sideways and mill about for 10 minutes blocking entire aisles. Keep it moving. Stroll on the right, pass on the left and then get over. Just like on the highway.

They do this at the South Austin store too. They also like to arrive at 8pm and continue shopping while Costco is trying to turn the lights off.

I’ve been in Costcos that had to be above fire code occupancy levels 

No parking spots left and lines into the merchandise from all 20(don’t really know true register counts?) checkouts.  Freaking crazy.  Still worth it from a money perspective feeding a family.

My local Costco has a very busy gas station with 22 pumps.  And, there is a city notice up that they are building a bigger gas station on the other end of the property and closing the existing one.  I can't wrap my head around that every paying off. 

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

I’ve been in Costcos that had to be above fire code occupancy levels 

No parking spots left and lines into the merchandise from all 20(don’t really know true register counts?) checkouts.  Freaking crazy.  Still worth it from a money perspective feeding a family.

The one near 183/360 in Austin is routinely jam-packed in terms of parking.  I've driven around the back side of the building to find the luck spot on the north end of the parking lot, which should probably have shuttle service to the front door.

I pretty much stopped shopping there when covid popped up, as HEB was good enough and much less of a pain in the ass.

One (the only?) advantage of SamsClub is the Scan & Go feature.  Scan all the shit you are buying as you are walking through the store; slide to pay; walk out of the store after the normal post-purchase interrogation.

When the kids were younger, we’d shop at both, as there were some things worth getting at Sam’s - or that we could not get at Costco.  Before self-checkout, it was a disaster.  Slow checkout clerks serving even slower clientele.  They added self-checkout (before Costco) and it was a god-send.  Up until Sam’s decided to have 1 normal lane open.  Then all of the slow clientele moved to self-checkout.  Thankful for Scan & Go EVERY time I am there. 

Costco’s self-checkout can really suck at times, though, as they do not have the scanner gun as the default interface.  So I have to unload all of the shit from my basket.  At the 183/360 Costco, there’s a 99% chance on Sat/Sun that each self-checkout will be staffed.  But you then have to suffer through the aforementioned hell.

15 hours ago, boilerhorn said:

One (the only?) advantage of SamsClub is the Scan & Go feature.  Scan all the shit you are buying as you are walking through the store; slide to pay; walk out of the store after the normal post-purchase interrogation.

When the kids were younger, we’d shop at both, as there were some things worth getting at Sam’s - or that we could not get at Costco.  Before self-checkout, it was a disaster.  Slow checkout clerks serving even slower clientele.  They added self-checkout (before Costco) and it was a god-send.  Up until Sam’s decided to have 1 normal lane open.  Then all of the slow clientele moved to self-checkout.  Thankful for Scan & Go EVERY time I am there. 

Costco’s self-checkout can really suck at times, though, as they do not have the scanner gun as the default interface.  So I have to unload all of the shit from my basket.  At the 183/360 Costco, there’s a 99% chance on Sat/Sun that each self-checkout will be staffed.  But you then have to suffer through the aforementioned hell.

We do both SamsClub and Costco.  Some of the Costco items are more upscale (like organics) and SamsClub has a lower priced item. We love the Scan & Go feature.  Saves a lot of time.

My local Costco has a very busy gas station with 22 pumps.  And, there is a city notice up that they are building a bigger gas station on the other end of the property and closing the existing one.  I can't wrap my head around that every paying off. 

Folks that won’t pull up to the farthest pump ahead of them deserve immediate drawing and quartering

1 hour ago, Texzilla588 said:

Folks that won’t pull up to the farthest pump ahead of them deserve immediate drawing and quartering

Yep, they're even worse than the idiots who don't know which side of their vehicle has the gas cap.  Fortunately most CostCo gas hoses are extry long.

image.png.4bdab94263dbf0c2c2a343c8dfd886f6.png

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yep, they're even worse than the idiots who don't know which side of their vehicle has the gas cap.  Fortunately most CostCo gas hoses are extry long.

And, knowing this, I am not going to sit in a line a 5 cars, when a pump on the "wrong side" has a line of 2 cars....

• Hook 'Em 5

On 8/12/2024 at 12:13 PM, Chopper said:

$8 for this huge can of huge, excellent peanuts, also available for shipping if you don't want to bother going to the store.

image.png.e71070f121fe47ef10173c13a770aa11.png

image.jpeg.06dd8b62bf8639b9bf6137964d414745.jpeg

On 8/14/2024 at 3:31 PM, Scary Stranger said:

There’s nothing more oblivious than a Costco shopper. If you killed the entire family for this offense, most here would consider it a public service. 

• Haha 1

Well fuck nuts!  I am bummed...

Costco discontinued carrying ground Buffalo.... that was one of our go to purchases the last year or so.  I will say it again and again, but for some reason the italian meatballs we made out of buffalo were simply the best we ever made.  Hell I thought it was a fluke, and did identical recipies 1 with organic beef, one with organic buffalo, and the results were confirmed.  Not sure why they were better, but they were.

Now I guess I will be heading to sprouts for my fix.  Luckily I have been filling that gap by going to H Mart and buying Poke.  Then my daughter discovered that the prepared foods like poke are half off after 7 (maybe 6 pm). 

But still very bummed by the dropping of the ground buffalo.

Buffalo is a tough sell for some reason. Dont know if it’s the iconic place it’s been put on as the noble American animal we nearly extincted, or some folks think it’s gamey, or folks just don’t get it. I like it but Rarely see it.

A friend years ago worked for Ted Turner’s chain of burger joints that featured Buffalo and beef burgers. He said once they got thru a store’s grand opening that buffalo was about 10-15% of sales versus beef. They had a real issue with food costs as they tossed quite a bit and they kept cutting inventory to the point it barely needed to be on the menu but had to because there were Buffalo icons everywhere.

Being from Texas, I loved buffalo because it was shit I could not normally purchase. If was on a menu, I would always order it. I spent a month in Colorado and ordered everything buffalo from burgers to steaks.

I'm now over buffalo. You know what buffalo tastes like? Cow. I had 3 buffalo steaks (not to mention the 3 other times I got buffalo burgers) from 3 different restaurants. They all tasted exactly like beef, which I guess is the point.

But then...why does it cost more? For that reason, I'm sticking with beef because it's basically buffalo and costs less.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

HEB sells ground bison -- is that the same thing?  Ironically, given my alma mater, I'm not a bovine expert.

technically no they're different animals, but "ground buffalo" in the stores here is actually ground bison.  i don't like it, it tastes like 97/3 beef which is too lean for me. i like the 80/20 and would rather eat 70/30 than 90/10. what i've been doing since covid is combining 80/20 with ground turkey at a 1:1 ratio and the texture the turkey adds makes it so velvety. 

• Hook 'Em 1